Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I watched, for the first time in a long time, The Terminator 2 last night. But, my girlfriend asked me a question that I couldn't answer, and I thought I would relay it to the SA Forums, which I assume is a place containing many Terminator scholars.

Why did Arnie need to die at the end? My answer was that he now exists in that timeline, and the movie isn't clear as to how he was getting back home. So, he would destroy himself as a precautionary measure. It was difficult to answer, because both of the first two Terminators never seemed to concern itself with the science aspect of the manipulation of time, as it's just understood as "it happens."

Also, she asked me how The Terminator 3 factored into the whole thing, but I told her those movies don't exist to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Twin Cinema posted:

I watched, for the first time in a long time, The Terminator 2 last night. But, my girlfriend asked me a question that I couldn't answer, and I thought I would relay it to the SA Forums, which I assume is a place containing many Terminator scholars.

Why did Arnie need to die at the end? My answer was that he now exists in that timeline, and the movie isn't clear as to how he was getting back home. So, he would destroy himself as a precautionary measure. It was difficult to answer, because both of the first two Terminators never seemed to concern itself with the science aspect of the manipulation of time, as it's just understood as "it happens."

Also, she asked me how The Terminator 3 factored into the whole thing, but I told her those movies don't exist to me.

The answer is easy as a Terminator can not go back home. As Terminator 2 shows the technology from the Terminators lead to Judgement day.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

The events in Terminator 2 (and, indeed, Skynet itself) only happened because the T-800 tech wasn't fully destroyed at the end of the first film. They were attempting not to repeat this mistake.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

So, the answer is that the T-800 can't travel back home, and he needs to fully destroy himself to make sure that these events don't happen again.

Alright, I was clearly over-thinking it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Twin Cinema posted:

So, the answer is that the T-800 can't travel back home, and he needs to fully destroy himself to make sure that these events don't happen again.

Alright, I was clearly over-thinking it.

Did you watch the first one? Reese goes into a rant how he can not go home.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Twin Cinema posted:

Why did Arnie need to die at the end?

Because he's a killer robot.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Did you watch the first one? Reese goes into a rant how he can not go home.

I have, but it's been over a year since I last watched it. Actually, now that I think of it, that was the first time that I fully watched the film. Previously, I had only seen parts of it.

Thanks for the help though.

HINDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Because he's a killer robot.

But he's so nice now. He was the father figure that John never had. :(

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

feedmyleg posted:

The events in Terminator 2 (and, indeed, Skynet itself) only happened because the T-800 tech wasn't fully destroyed at the end of the first film. They were attempting not to repeat this mistake.

Yeah, this is very explicit in the dialogue:

"It's over."
"No. There is one more chip and it must be destroyed, also."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm not sure why my earlier question deserved a snarky answer, but I'll ask it again, how do they set people on fire? I have heard that there are gels and suits that stuntmen use, but I figure those are fairly recent developments, so I am also curious how they did that effect in the past, or did they always have them?

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME

twistedmentat posted:

I'm not sure why my earlier question deserved a snarky answer, but I'll ask it again, how do they set people on fire? I have heard that there are gels and suits that stuntmen use, but I figure those are fairly recent developments, so I am also curious how they did that effect in the past, or did they always have them?
So what you're saying here is that you believe in the olden days before fancy gel and fireproof suits they didn't just set people on fire. Yes that makes perfect sense.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mexicanmonkey posted:

So what you're saying here is that you believe in the olden days before fancy gel and fireproof suits they didn't just set people on fire. Yes that makes perfect sense.

Um, I'm asking how they did that effect. I'm not sure why that's getting snarky answers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"Fireproof" or fire-protection suits have been around for a time- at least in very crude ways. For something like The Thing From Another World, I think it was just putting the stunt man under a lot of padding, and not filming for very long. Whatever fabric they were using would burn slowly enough that there was relatively little chance of it burning through.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
A small stuntman, a big padded suit, a little fire, a short shot, a bunch of people with fire extinguishers, and faith in the retardant qualities of densely layered fabric.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A small stuntman, a big padded suit, a little fire, a short shot, a bunch of people with fire extinguishers, and faith in the retardant qualities of densely layered fabric.

I'm sure a lot of effects and stunts in the early days of films had a lot of faith involved. I remember watching something about Tarzan movies, and how they just hoped the actor could swing from vine to vine, with a circus net just off camera in case they fell.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm assuming they would have used asbestos suits for setting people on fire back in the day, before the dangers became known.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Isn't it common to have someone on fire walking/moving to direct the heat from the flames away from them?

While watching Stagecoach for the first time a year or so ago it dawned on me that those stunts are all practical and how much that changes the tension. I know no one is going to slip between those horses and get crushed but man, it could happen and there's no CGI or model work involved.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 28, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

While watching Stagecoach for the first time a year or so ago it dawned on me that those stunts are all practical and how much that changes the tension. I know no one is going to slip between those horses and get crushed but man, it could happen and there's no CGI or model work involved.

Yakima Canutt did it in a few other movies, but no other stuntman has been able to pull off the Stagecoach stunt. Terry Leonard got badly hurt trying to recreate it in The Legend of the Lone Ranger.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Not having seen Stagecoach I was unfamilier with the stunts you were talking about so I looked it up on youtube. That poo poo is really impressive.

This video shows his stunts in stagecoach and a really insane one from Zorro's Fighting Legion.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Never heard of this guy before, but that was INSANE.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Ya know how so many movie punches have one guy in the foreground and the other guy back a bit, so they can swing without connecting or pulling the punch, and it looks like a solid hit?

Yakima Canutt INVENTED that.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

The last bit where he appears to slide between the horses, under the stagecoach, then catching the back of it and hopping on was incredible.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What's incredible is that he loving SOMERSAULTED under a bunch of horse rigging and somehow survived at the end instead of turning into a human pretzel. Seriously, how the gently caress.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

According to Wikipedia, the only injury sustained during the making of Ben-Hur was his son Sam cutting his chin during a chariot jump shot. Because he didn't follow his father's instructions to tie himself down. :smug:

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
Russell Wilson, look into your heart and find the warrior within.
It is your destiny.

~:Seattle Seahawks:~
I like the Western Genre more than any other genre. I've seen most Ford's, most Leone's, most Eastwood's in addition to more unique Westerns like The Proposition and Dead Man. I've only taken a handful of film classes and only read a few books on cinema.

Q: What is so great about Unforgiven? Overall I enjoyed the film but never understood why it is so universally praised (extremely high praise at that).

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

BRB MAKIN BACON posted:

I like the Western Genre more than any other genre. I've seen most Ford's, most Leone's, most Eastwood's in addition to more unique Westerns like The Proposition and Dead Man. I've only taken a handful of film classes and only read a few books on cinema.

Q: What is so great about Unforgiven? Overall I enjoyed the film but never understood why it is so universally praised (extremely high praise at that).
Because it's amazing?

But don't take my word for it!
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20020721/REVIEWS08/207210301/1023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BRB MAKIN BACON posted:

It's just a great dark revisionist Western, up there with High Plains Drifter and the aforementioned The Proposition. Also the last 10-15 minutes are just perfect, one of my favorite scenes in any Western.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

It's just a great dark revisionist Western, up there with High Plains Drifter and the aforementioned The Proposition. Also the last 10-15 minutes are just perfect, one of my favorite scenes in any Western.

It also has one of my favorite lines in a movie.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Unforgiven was a big deal because it was Eastwood coming back to the genre that made him famous for a sort of finale to that part of his career.

It's a pretty solid movie on its own too but you know, the years of context make a difference to how people receive things.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I wrote this about Unforgiven:

quote:

There have been other, more recent movies made about the west, but Eastwood’s incomparable 1992 classic Unforgiven is the last Western. It completes the work John Ford started with in his self-critical westerns. The cowboy, that lone rider sowing the seeds of civilization, has by the film’s end unequivocally lost his moral superiority. He becomes what he always was – a drunken murderer, no better than anybody else in the corrupt pigshit towns in the territory.

There is an unforgettable scene in the middle of the film where William Munny (Eastwood), an old assassin, talks about murder. He puts it into plain, honest terms: you “take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have.” That’s the life of a gunfighter, that’s what he does – he takes the lives of others. There’s no white hat to be found, no good in it at all.

As far as I’m concerned, the Western ended with the once heroic cowboy announcing to the town that “if any sumbitch takes a shot at me, I’m not only kill him, I’m gonna kill his wife and all his friends – burn his drat house down.” And then the words:

"And there was nothing on the marker to explain to Mrs. Feathers why her only daughter had married a known thief and murderer, a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition."

Eastwood asks us, in that title card, what reason we had for following these stories of thieves and murderers, learning from them our morals. As far as the film is concerned, the cowboy himself is the one that’s unforgiven. And yet, as Tom Nixon points out:

"To say that Unforgiven de-romanticizes the Old West seems a touch reductive. Horror and sadness don’t replace the exhilaration of western genre archetypes but can only accompany it; Clint may be sorry, but his love for the Western hasn’t dwindled. The melancholy of the piece lies in learning with age our powerlessness in the face of past deeds and everlasting impulses; wiser, but unforgiven and unchanged. [...] A tragic lamentation for a time when we weren’t so aware of the ugliness within ourselves. Bleak and challenging, wearing its scars and hurts across its weathered mien whilst reminding us of how a dying genre’s archetypes so intoxicated us in the first place, Unforgiven is made great by a realization that joys made painful and ugly by hindsight are joys nonetheless, and that in making those joys harder-earned we can at least achieve a greater understanding of ourselves."

Here we’ve hit the end of the Myth. The great men have been brought down to reality, their deeds dissected and their lessons learned, challenged, and learned again.

There have been a lot of attempts recently to revive the genre. Some were very successful – Tombstone, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. And yet they all seem to be, ultimately, dead-ends. There is no mythology to them, no meaning. The closest was There Will Be Blood, which brought us a whole new perspective on the settlements, but it shot itself in the foot in the final moments. Maybe the genre’s really dead. We’ve been here before though, at least twice, and the western always found a way to reinvent and revitalize itself. There’s hope the cowboy will ride again.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

I've read it mentioned a couple times but never spelled out clearly. Does an actor sign away the chance to refuse participating in their character getting killed off in a series or movie? Sometimes I'll read how a tv or film actor is very angry that their character dies but they still film the scenes anyways.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mouser.. posted:

I've read it mentioned a couple times but never spelled out clearly. Does an actor sign away the chance to refuse participating in their character getting killed off in a series or movie? Sometimes I'll read how a tv or film actor is very angry that their character dies but they still film the scenes anyways.

What would the alternative be? Not film the scene, not get paid for it (since you don't do it) and still never get to play the character again?

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
Russell Wilson, look into your heart and find the warrior within.
It is your destiny.

~:Seattle Seahawks:~
Thanks everybody.

penismightier posted:

I wrote this about Unforgiven:

"Eastwood’s incomparable 1992 classic Unforgiven is the last Western."

What?

"The closest was There Will Be Blood, which brought us a whole new perspective on the settlements, but it shot itself in the foot in the final moments."

What is wrong with the ending of TWBB?

I can't tell if this is good-analysis or pretentious bullshit. I'm not being facetious and that's not a slight against you Penismightier. I appreciate your response to help answer my question. The problem is, relatively to the people in this thread, I'm vastly under-educated on film analysis writing (outside of the aforementioned ~3 film classes, which I'd estimate to be less than adequate preparation for the purposes of this discussion).
I think films such as The Prop, TAOJJBTCRF and others all offered at least something new to the Western Genre. Is the criticism against these films structural in nature or more about how they don't change the genre/industry? I don't understand why "The Western" stopped after Unforgiven.

Also what are the best recommended documentary, print or web resources for film analysis?

p.s. thanks for responses

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mouser.. posted:

Two words: contractual obligations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

BRB MAKIN BACON posted:

Its a deconstruction of western tropes and cliches staring a huge star of those very same westerns. I think the author doesn't imagine there is much else to do with a genre that has had one of its biggest stars make a movie that breaks apart so much of the fundamental tropes of the genre. I mean, that is of course, just his opinion, you don't have to agree. I don't think anything ever really 'ends' but apparently he thinks Unforgiven will be a hard act to follow and would be a fitting capstone on the genre. I think thats a bit defeatist, but to each his own.

The stuff about TWBB is just wrong though. Totally wrong.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

BRB MAKIN BACON posted:

Thanks everybody.

What?

"The closest was There Will Be Blood, which brought us a whole new perspective on the settlements, but it shot itself in the foot in the final moments."

What is wrong with the ending of TWBB?

I can't tell if this is good-analysis or pretentious bullshit. I'm not being facetious and that's not a slight against you Penismightier. I appreciate your response to help answer my question. The problem is, relatively to the people in this thread, I'm vastly under-educated on film analysis writing (outside of the aforementioned ~3 film classes, which I'd estimate to be less than adequate preparation for the purposes of this discussion).
I think films such as The Prop, TAOJJBTCRF and others all offered at least something new to the Western Genre. Is the criticism against these films structural in nature or more about how they don't change the genre/industry? I don't understand why "The Western" stopped after Unforgiven.

Also what are the best recommended documentary, print or web resources for film analysis?

p.s. thanks for responses

You probably have to read the whole thread.

The whole point is that the western as a genre was ABOUT something. It was an exploration of good and evil through the role of the heroic gunslinger, who represented many things in many movies, but was conceived as a figure of absolute good. Look at Shane, or My Darling Clementine, or any of the poverty row oaters. As time went on, films like The Naked Spur and the Searchers began to question to that - they wondered how a character whose life is predicated on violence and isolation can be a true force of good. The spaghetti westerns went further - they established him as good only inasmuch as he wasn't actively BAD.

So for 90+ years, filmmakers were chipping away at the idea of the heroic gunslinger. Unforgiven, in its last act, takes the final steps and makes him into a to-the-bone villain. And by framing it as a story about a man's return to his roots and showing him against the flag, Unforgiven tells us that in a way, the heroic gunslinger always WAS a villain.

Later westerns like, for example, Tombstone are fine movies but don't have any mythic qualities, because they've stopped believing in the defining ethos of the genre. I singled out There Will Be Blood because along with a few others (No Country, The Proposition) it seemed to be reaching a new myth, but I think it fell short in the end because it didn't have any conviction.

Does that clear it up any?

penismightier fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 30, 2011

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Polaron posted:

Two words: contractual obligations.

In other words, you would be sued out your rear end if you refused.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I'd like to know what specifically about the ending of TWBB you feel neutered the rest of the film, penismighter.

I know it's a very polarizing ending and I'm not sure what I myself think about it. All I know is that it really worked for me on an emotional level. I'd love to hear someone more well-written and experienced discuss it a bit in the context of Western films.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

penismightier posted:

You probably have to read the whole thread.

The whole point is that the western as a genre was ABOUT something. It was an exploration of good and evil through the role of the heroic gunslinger, who represented many things in many movies, but was conceived as a figure of absolute good. Look at Shane, or My Darling Clementine, or any of the poverty row oaters. As time went on, films like The Naked Spur and the Searchers began to question to that - they wondered how a character whose life is predicated on violence and isolation can be a true force of good. The spaghetti westerns went further - they established him as good only inasmuch as he wasn't actively BAD.

So for 90+ years, filmmakers were chipping away at the idea of the heroic gunslinger. Unforgiven, in its last act, takes the final steps and makes him into a to-the-bone villain. And by framing it as a story about a man's return to his roots and showing him against the flag, Unforgiven tells us that in a way, the heroic gunslinger always WAS a villain.

Later westerns like, for example, Tombstone are fine movies but don't have any mythic qualities, because they've stopped believing in the defining ethos of the genre. I singled out There Will Be Blood because along with a few others (No Country, The Proposition) it seemed to be reaching a new myth, but I think it fell short in the end because it didn't have any conviction.

Does that clear it up any?

Huh, that's pretty interesting.

When I watched the film, I didn't get the sense that Will Munny represented the myth of the gunslinger, I took the story to be about how overzealous and misguided enforcement of the law (Hackman) can cause former criminals to turn to crime again.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

the Bunt posted:

I'd like to know what specifically about the ending of TWBB you feel neutered the rest of the film, penismighter.

I know it's a very polarizing ending and I'm not sure what I myself think about it. All I know is that it really worked for me on an emotional level. I'd love to hear someone more well-written and experienced discuss it a bit in the context of Western films.

I haven't seen it since theaters so I'm a little fuzzy, but it doesn't work as a way to revive the western because it shifts the focus to another era too thoroughly. There's a lot of rumbling in the genre now. It's waiting for a Stagecoach or a Fistful of Dollars. There Will Be Blood came as close as anything so far, but it shifted gears at the end.

That's far,far less important than the fact that I just don't like it as an ending, period. Anderson had a great thing going stylistically. He had established a beautiful look - a style of inhospitable locations and strong camera movement that was unique. The ending scene self-consciously apes Stanley Kubrick so aggressively that it can't help but exist in the shadow of better films, and it throws away all that was unique about the rest of the film. Like, it works thematically, I guess, but I don't think it's emotionally satisfying (or even unsatisfying in an interesting way) to end your character-driven epic with a big cinephile homage to A Clockwork Orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Steve Yun posted:

Huh, that's pretty interesting.

When I watched the film, I didn't get the sense that Will Munny represented the myth of the gunslinger, I took the story to be about how overzealous and misguided enforcement of the law (Hackman) can cause former criminals to turn to crime again.

The strange thing about Unforgiven, for me, is that Gene Hackman's sheriff has become more and more sympathetic for me over time. It could just be that he gives one hell of a performance. If we go beyond that:

- Running with penismightier's theme, Unforgiven shows that the gunfighters are villains. Hackman knows that. He might not be fair, and he is most definitely cruel, but he is trying to fight against the villainy of the west. He wants to keep violence out of his town and out of those people's lives. Whether or not he solved the whore-slicing correctly, he did try to solve it with justice rather than vengeance.

- He just wanted to build a house - much like Clint. Both had seen horrible times, and had left their former lives to try and find safety, and salvation. I don't want to play into any Christ references (they abound in the film, and not always coherently), but despite Hackman's methods I do believe he was trying to bring order and happiness to the town's population as a whole.

- While he may have ultimately succumbed to the lust for fame with the writer, it appeared that Hackman, like Clint, knew exactly how unheroic it was to be a gunfighter, let alone good at it. Just from the small details of his stories you know he had a life that would have been Wyatt Earp level epic for a western mythology. His rejection of the lifestyle, and the myth, is right in line with the movie's entire ideology of deconstruction - except he doesn't get his final coda of badassness to ride out on.

- He beat the poo poo out of Richard Harris, that no good, limey, Duck of Death. :patriot: