Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I know nothing about jailbreaking be gentle with me.

I've got an ancient (1st gen) ipod touch that only goes up to iOS 3.1.3. I've got songs in a Google Music account. I was hoping to use the touch, plugged into a stereo, as a nice way of playing that music.

Unfortunately the google music web app doesnt render properly with this version of iOS (i've seen at least one other person with the same issue asking for help). There are two apps on the market, but both require iOS 4.

Could jailbreaking this ipod offer any kind of solution? The possibility of a browser with better HTML5 support? Or anything else that might help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a way to make your ipod touch like a storage device? I just want to drag and drop apps/music/pictures onto it but you have to "sync" with that computer in order to do so, but not all my computers have everything, it stinks.

For music, there's Sharepod. No jailbreak required last I used it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

I've got an ancient (1st gen) ipod touch that only goes up to iOS 3.1.3. I've got songs in a Google Music account. I was hoping to use the touch, plugged into a stereo, as a nice way of playing that music.

Unfortunately the google music web app doesnt render properly with this version of iOS (i've seen at least one other person with the same issue asking for help). There are two apps on the market, but both require iOS 4.

Could jailbreaking this ipod offer any kind of solution? The possibility of a browser with better HTML5 support? Or anything else that might help?
You could try alternate browsers like Atomic or iCab (don't require jailbreak.) I don't know of any jailbreak-specific browsers.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

randyest posted:

You could try alternate browsers like Atomic or iCab (don't require jailbreak.) I don't know of any jailbreak-specific browsers.

Don't they just use the same rendering engine as Safari though?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Atomic has its own engine but iCab uses the same one as Safari.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

No they don't, which is why they are apparently slightly slower than Safari with it's fancy new turbo renderer or whatever (I can't see a difference, but that's what they say.) That said, I have no idea if they work well with 3.x or, even if they do, they'll render google music correctly. Atomic is free (or was at least) so it's worth a shot.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a way to make your ipod touch like a storage device? I just want to drag and drop apps/music/pictures onto it but you have to "sync" with that computer in order to do so, but not all my computers have everything, it stinks.

I'd like to know this, too. I use Comiczeal to read magazines/pdfs and in iTunes, instead of showing every PDF I have on my iPad, it shows one gargantuan file. If I want to delete a single PDF, I can't; I have to delete them all.

When I put MAME ROMs on my iPad I had some FTP program that did exactly what you want (except having to use FTP instead of mass storage) but it did the trick. Only problem is I cannot remember the name of that program.

Also, what's the latest jailbreakable iOS version for the iPod Touch 4? I want to update to it, then jailbreak again. The Awful app is telling me my iOS version is too old to use it.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
For you guys with 1st gen iPod touches, I installed this on my girlfriends, and it's pretty good. It's a custom firmware with lots of new features built in.

http://www.whited00r.com/features

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert
drat, just bought a 4S and it came with 5.0.1 :(

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Has anyone else with biteSMS and the newest lockinfo beta start to get duplicate lockscreen SMS notifications? I used to get just the biteSMS 'swipe to quick reply' ones but now all of the sudden I'm also getting "messages" notifications that show up underneath the biteSMS ones. I can't figure out what the hell is causing the dupes :/

I can get a screen shot in a little bit...

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

dutchbstrd posted:

Has anyone else with biteSMS and the newest lockinfo beta start to get duplicate lockscreen SMS notifications? I used to get just the biteSMS 'swipe to quick reply' ones but now all of the sudden I'm also getting "messages" notifications that show up underneath the biteSMS ones. I can't figure out what the hell is causing the dupes :/

I can get a screen shot in a little bit...

Yep, getting the same thing myself. I'm confident the Dev will sort it soon though.

:Edit: He's just posted another update!

m0isty fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 27, 2011

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

m0isty posted:

Yep, getting the same thing myself. I'm confident the Dev will sort it soon though.

Good stuff. I'm happy it's not just me. I'm sure the devs will fix it soon.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

ReidStylez posted:

drat, just bought a 4S and it came with 5.0.1 :(

5.0.1 is the latest major release of the iPhone software that looks like it's going to stick around for a while, I'm certain that it will be jailbroken.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

hunter x az posted:

5.0.1 is the latest major release of the iPhone software that looks like it's going to stick around for a while, I'm certain that it will be jailbroken.
I'm pretty sure everything will eventually be jailbroken, but didn't someone post a devteam tweet or something that recommended staying on 5.0.0?

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

randyest posted:

I'm pretty sure everything will eventually be jailbroken, but didn't someone post a devteam tweet or something that recommended staying on 5.0.0?

Yeah, it was definitely recommended, but like always, everything will eventually be jailbroken. I mean, if you get a phone (like I did) with 5.0.1, yeah it sucks, but we can wait. I'm sure a tethered jailbreak will come out soon.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007

randyest posted:

I think that's just good advice, to stay on the safe side.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
I just inherited an iPhone 3G from my brother. It is now jailbroken and unlocked (Ultrasn0w) on iOS 3.1.3 with 05.12.01 Baseband.

I'd like to completely erase all of his settings/apps etc etc.
Whats the best way to do this? Do I need to make a custom firmware via RedSnow? How is 4.2.1 or whatever for a iPhone 3G? Is iOS 3.1.3 better in terms of speed? What is your guys thoughts?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

GoMusic available for $.99 in the AppStore is absolutely boss for streaming from google music. Now you can even cache songs for offline playback. It also prefetches music so the next track starts almost immediately. Best $.99 I've spent in the app store

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dutchbstrd posted:

GoMusic available for $.99 in the AppStore is absolutely boss for streaming from google music. Now you can even cache songs for offline playback. It also prefetches music so the next track starts almost immediately. Best $.99 I've spent in the app store
GoMusic, like all the other google music apps, require 4.x, as he mentioned in his question.

1st gen 1pod touch is not authorized to upgrade to 4.x (and would probably run like poo poo with it if you could trick it into happening.)

Maybe http://www.whited00r.com/ would help?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

randyest posted:

GoMusic, like all the other google music apps, require 4.x, as he mentioned in his question.

1st gen 1pod touch is not authorized to upgrade to 4.x (and would probably run like poo poo with it if you could trick it into happening.)

Maybe http://www.whited00r.com/ would help?

I know how to read, I promise. You should try contacting the GoMusic dev about why it requires 4.x. He might be able to make it 3.x compatible. Given the amount of features this guy has added since the app's release makes me feel like the dev actually gives a poo poo and will go that extra mile to make you happy. He reminds me of Devs for jailbroken apps

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
This is probably a stupid question - but I am upgrading/jailbreaking an iphone4 and ipod touch 3 to 5.0.1, I assumed that backing up / syncing to iCloud would be disabled but it doesn't seem to be. Can I back up to iCloud when jailbroken? And/or can I sync via wifi?

I had assumed no, but when I thought about it I realized I had only read comments on this before the firmware/jailbreak was available.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

This is probably a stupid question - but I am upgrading/jailbreaking an iphone4 and ipod touch 3 to 5.0.1, I assumed that backing up / syncing to iCloud would be disabled but it doesn't seem to be. Can I back up to iCloud when jailbroken? And/or can I sync via wifi?

I had assumed no, but when I thought about it I realized I had only read comments on this before the firmware/jailbreak was available.
Yes, both work fine! ;)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TheChipmunk posted:

How is 4.2.1 or whatever for a iPhone 3G? Is iOS 3.1.3 better in terms of speed? What is your guys thoughts?

I just upgraded to 4.2.1 from 3.1.3 whited00r and the speed seems to be pretty good. There was a reason I downgraded from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3 a year ago but now I'm not sure what it was.

I do very little with my phone these days since I got my iPad though, so maybe I just don't notice the slow apps that I used to use.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

m0isty posted:

Yes, both work fine! ;)

Oh, awesome. Thanks!

On that note - if I backup using iCloud, can I still keep an occasional backup on my PC? I notice that iTunes only lets you choose one or the other.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
I am surprised no one has mentioned Siri dictation running on iPhone 4/3GS etc. At least check this out: http://www.redmondpie.com/install-siri-dictation-on-iphone-4-iphone-3gs-and-ipod-touch-4g-using-siri0us/

I'm not sure how legit it is or what exactly its interfacing through. Also, I don't really get how its doing dictation if its not connecting to Apple's servers...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TheChipmunk posted:

I am surprised no one has mentioned Siri dictation running on iPhone 4/3GS etc. At least check this out: http://www.redmondpie.com/install-siri-dictation-on-iphone-4-iphone-3gs-and-ipod-touch-4g-using-siri0us/

I'm not sure how legit it is or what exactly its interfacing through. Also, I don't really get how its doing dictation if its not connecting to Apple's servers...

Its not connecting to Apple's servers. It's just another dictation app running on the Nuance engine, trying to cash in by looking like Siri.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 28, 2011

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

How is iOS 5 on the 3GS? I have a friend with a 3GS and is on 4.2.1 and I want to update them to 5.0.1 but don't want to do it and it run worse.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
One last random question from my upgrade - now that I'm on io5 and have access to camera.app from the lockscreen, does anyone know of any jailbreak tweaks to allow twitter sharing, etc from the lockscreen camera?

It would be really nice to be able to take a picture, and then tweet it straight from the lockscreen.

Thanks!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

ReidStylez posted:

How is iOS 5 on the 3GS? I have a friend with a 3GS and is on 4.2.1 and I want to update them to 5.0.1 but don't want to do it and it run worse.
Installed it on my wife's 3GS when it was released, no complaints from her so far.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I have 5.0 running on my 3GS. I am pretty hit or miss with it. When it is running good it is faster than 4.2.x. But there was weird hangs from time to time even on the Springboard. You have to keep a eye on your ram/running tasks much more than on 4.2. I am jailbroken and it is even worse ram wise when you run jailbroken apps. I feel like iOS 5 has a caching issue in general and doesn't flush ram correctly even with standard apps.

Like I said though when it is working good and that is a good 80% of the time it is better than 4.2.

Just make a backup, install iOS 5 and if it they don't like it just roll back.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
edit: wrong thread

withak fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 28, 2011

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I've been jailbroken on every iOS (even back when it was call iPhone OS) but have never experienced slowdowns and hangs like I've been getting lately on my iPhone4, 5.0.1.

I've got the very basics installed (Five Icon Dock, SBSettings, TetherMe, etc.) but it is just really bad. Every time it starts getting slow I'll check available memory and it's always above 100. The Creeps actually locked up on me yesterday.

Anybody experiencing this?

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Yeah, getting similar slowdowns with 5.0. I just tell myself it will all be better with a proper untethered jailbreak. Also cydia is buggy for me, it usually fails to respring when it's supposed to and tends to dump a few strange white icons on my springboard from time to time!

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but I just wanted to verify: I just got a used iPad1 that is on 4.2.1 with no blobs saved (I checked). Only option is keep it at 4.2.1 or upgrade to the current firmware, correct?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Uuudar posted:

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but I just wanted to verify: I just got a used iPad1 that is on 4.2.1 with no blobs saved (I checked). Only option is keep it at 4.2.1 or upgrade to the current firmware, correct?

Yes.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

psylent posted:

Installed it on my wife's 3GS when it was released, no complaints from her so far.

Good because this is also going on a females phone. Haha

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

dutchbstrd posted:

Off-topic, but holy poo poo GoMusic owns. Installed it this morning and it's wayyyy better than the iOS HTML5 player Google did that never works for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Oh, awesome. Thanks!

On that note - if I backup using iCloud, can I still keep an occasional backup on my PC? I notice that iTunes only lets you choose one or the other.
You can. Just right-click on the device in iTunes and you can select 'Backup' from the drop down menu. It just won't backup automatically.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Admob ads are starting to popup on my Notes and Photo apps, the vanilla ones that are part of the base os. All of my apps, jailbreak or otherwise, are paid in full and legal. What is causing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Had to replace my iPad due to a hardware issue while under warranty, unfortunately the replacement sports the 4.3.5 firmware. I've tried a bunch of times to restore the device to various earlier versions that to jailbreak with no success.

I believe I have set the device in DFU, if iTunes is recognizing it as recovery mode is that DFU? I have edited the host file to direct to Saurik's server also before attempting to restore but it I receive the same 3194 error.

I'm now going to try the Redsn0w workaround to see if I have any luck.

• Locked thread