Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

purkey posted:

Put Haggar second and use his lariat assist.

This do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I totally forgot that you can DHC out of Thor's grab super, and if he's facing right, Doom's up super will whiff and allow him to combo.

I haven't tooled around to optimise the combo to build meter yet, but if you do super jump gimlet xx Thor grab xx Doom up super followed by foot diving until your heart stops then on block it does 763700, and on hit it does 903000. By the end of the combo you're a hair's breadth from building another meter, I think with a properly placed special you could probably squeeze in another super from Doom at the end.

Of course nobody's going to get hit twice by it because you just have to chicken block to get out of it, and you can't hit confirm it because you have to DHC before the gimlet comes out, but gimmicks are cool

edit: Actually I'm terrible and wasn't even air dashing after the second foot dive, you build a meter easily

Triticum Guzzler fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 27, 2011

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Tickle Me Chelmno posted:

If you want a slightly less terrible team you can also use it to set up inescapable Haggar/Tron/Nemesis level 3s. Ghost Rider and Modok don't work though. Who else has a super grab that isn't a hit grab?

edit: works with Phoenix Wright, Dr. Strange, Rocket Raccoon, and Iron Fist

edit again: actually whoops i forgot to properly test those last ones, hit grabs can be blocked or combod into, only actual grabs will work regardless

I'm actually using Thor/Strange/Doom. I planned on dropping Thor but they hosed with Dante and Magneto so much that I can't use them seriously until I get used to their new combos.

Does it work with Strange for real? That's really cool.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

The only problem here is that both Hakweye and Vergil eat meter. I definitely abuse Gimlet as much as possible, so having him on point...well you're not leaving much for Vergil depending on how good your doom game is. I always end up putting Hawkeye in the middle. If you think Vergil is your best character, Try something like Nova/Vergil/Doom. Use Doom Plasma Beam for assist for teleport crossup opportunity with vergil.

e: Using doom beam assist to cover Nova's centurion assault kick or an air dash overhead works really well, since his air dash has a slight startup.

After playing around a bit more today, I really like the Nova/Vergil/Doom set up. Thanks a bunch for the tips.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010
Does anybody have a link to that stream with the guy running Nick/Dante/Morrigan?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

EroticBlacksmith posted:

Does anybody have a link to that stream with the guy running Nick/Dante/Morrigan?

Chirs G?

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
So... I can do a decent amount of combos and all that business, but I have like no understanding of strategy and developing a coherent offense such that I don't have to wait for an opponent to do something stupid to get my damage in. Me vs. the CPU on max is the clearest example of this, in that it will just block all my pathetic attempts at offense and hit back when it gets a frame. Is there an organized way to go about rectifying this?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Duck and burger posted:

So... I can do a decent amount of combos and all that business, but I have like no understanding of strategy and developing a coherent offense such that I don't have to wait for an opponent to do something stupid to get my damage in. Me vs. the CPU on max is the clearest example of this, in that it will just block all my pathetic attempts at offense and hit back when it gets a frame. Is there an organized way to go about rectifying this?

People will generally recommend that going against CPU does basically nothing for you. Maybe if you're attempting to practice hit confirms under pressure, but you can set training mode block to random for that.

If they are able to punish you, find a block string or assist that can make it safe. In a perfect scenario, the only time you would get hit is when an opponent mixes you up with high/low attacks, a throw, or crossups. Find a way to get in, whether it be a magneto-like triangle jump or using task/hawkeye arrow assists to cover your approach, then perform a safe block string that you can either quit if it is blocked and apply pressure again, or continue with a damaging combo if it lands. Easier said than done, but that's basically the goal.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

EroticBlacksmith posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk35uht4uzE&feature=player_embedded here is a match vid announcers are really dumb and bad

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Duck and burger posted:

What characters are you running? Irregardless of your choice, each character should have tools to manage space, whether to keep people out (ghost rider, arthur, strange) or to get closer (virgil, strider, hulk). Then, once in the preferred range, usually you have tools to open the opponent up to damage (spencer with the overhead, dormamu with the forward H tele). You have to know these tools better than just the combos you learn in mission/training mode.

Another big factor for opening people up is the assists. Some hit low or high, and can lead to unblockable setups (nova, x23). Some push the opponent into the corner so that they can't escape (wright, frank). Some will keep opponents out so that you can keep on chipping them (beam assists, sentinel). Some will catch the opponent when they attack and hold him still so that you can combo (strange, haggar). Don't neglect your assists, they're there for a reason.

It would be better for you to post your team so that we can tell you what to do exactly, but these are general tips that could help.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Lord Chumley posted:

Chirs G?

Awesome, thanks!

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Lord Chumley posted:

Chirs G?

I really want Nick to be good, but I'm not sure this match is a good measure for his viability. ChrisG is an amazing player and his opponent doesn't seem to be.

The team build looks good though, so I may just have to finally learn Dante and Morrigan.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 28, 2011

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Tetrakarn posted:

What characters are you running? Irregardless of your choice, each character should have tools to manage space, whether to keep people out (ghost rider, arthur, strange) or to get closer (virgil, strider, hulk). Then, once in the preferred range, usually you have tools to open the opponent up to damage (spencer with the overhead, dormamu with the forward H tele). You have to know these tools better than just the combos you learn in mission/training mode.

Another big factor for opening people up is the assists. Some hit low or high, and can lead to unblockable setups (nova, x23). Some push the opponent into the corner so that they can't escape (wright, frank). Some will keep opponents out so that you can keep on chipping them (beam assists, sentinel). Some will catch the opponent when they attack and hold him still so that you can combo (strange, haggar). Don't neglect your assists, they're there for a reason.

It would be better for you to post your team so that we can tell you what to do exactly, but these are general tips that could help.

I'm most comfortable with Viper and X-23, but they're kind of samey to have on one team compared to the rest of the cast. Dormammu is a fairly simple fall-back for me, as is Trish. I'd like to learn Ghost Rider and/or Ironman, but Ironman's normals are awkward to get used to and I'm not sure what to do with Ghost Rider. Dr. Strange seems super awesome as well. I didn't mention any specific characters because it's a general, fundamental problem I'm having, but character specifics would make for good examples, yeah. Any potent teams from that group? I've just been doing X-23, Viper, Trish/Dormammu.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Duck and burger posted:

I'm most comfortable with Viper and X-23, but they're kind of samey to have on one team compared to the rest of the cast. Dormammu is a fairly simple fall-back for me, as is Trish. I'd like to learn Ghost Rider and/or Ironman, but Ironman's normals are awkward to get used to and I'm not sure what to do with Ghost Rider. Dr. Strange seems super awesome as well. I didn't mention any specific characters because it's a general, fundamental problem I'm having, but character specifics would make for good examples, yeah. Any potent teams from that group? I've just been doing X-23, Viper, Trish/Dormammu.

Ghost Rider is kinda easy to play.

Do standing HH or crouching H canceled into 623L on hit (you can confirm this off of HH, but you'll need to watch for your opponent standing or not when you do 2H to know if you should cancel into this or not) or 623H if you get blocked, the 623L will wiff against many characters if they are crouching, for this reason 2H is often the better attack to start with.

Watch for pushblocks on your attacks and cancel into 623H or, against teleporters do nothing.

Use your assists.

Use 4H to push people who get in back out.

Throw in an occasional jumping S to help your keep away, but be aware that you probably aren't going to be able to get any combos off of it, the timing and spacing for linking into a crouching h or standing Hs is pretty hard.

Avoid using standing S or launcher combos, unless you want to do a TAC or anti-air someone above you, Ghost Rider gets piss poor damage off of launcher combos.

Be aware that if you wiff nearly anything completely you're VERY VERY punishable.

Bread and butter combo: HH/2H 623L HH 214L 236L(1 hit) 236PP mash. This does over 600K damage.

Depending on distance to the corner you may have to do this combo instead: HH/2H 623M HH 214M dash or M/2M (wiff) 236L(1 hit) 236PP mash. This does a solid bit less damage then the 214L combo.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 28, 2011

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

The Crusher posted:

People will generally recommend that going against CPU does basically nothing for you. Maybe if you're attempting to practice hit confirms under pressure, but you can set training mode block to random for that.
Duck and burger, this. Trying to judge your skill against the computer isn't a good idea. The computer can read your inputs and block everything you throw at it, among other things that people can't do.

As far as your characters, I think the best setups there would be Viper/X-23/Iron Man as an offensive team and some order of Dormammu/Ghost Rider/Strange as a zoning team. Iron Man's Unibeam assist would be useful for helping Viper/X-23 get in to start offense. The other three are all best as zoning characters (keeping the opponent at a distance with projectiles and long range moves and such) so you could use them all together.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

CPU is fine for practicing BNB's and hit confirms while under pressure, what it isn't any good for is anything at all else.

And you can set the dummy to CPU in training mode, so arcade mode is a total and complete waste of time, I mean, unless you really want some achievements.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Niddhogg posted:

I'm actually using Thor/Strange/Doom. I planned on dropping Thor but they hosed with Dante and Magneto so much that I can't use them seriously until I get used to their new combos.

Does it work with Strange for real? That's really cool.

Nah, I hosed up and forgot I didn't have all guard on when testing some guys :11tea:, Strange's is a hit grab so if it's blocked you waste 4 bars.

Is Spell of Vishanti as fast as gimlet? It might work with that but I suspect that it won't given that it's bottom up not top down.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Vishanti's 11 frames, Gimlet's 8.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
How many people play this business around Ann Arbor/SE Michigan so I can get some schooling? I only have a couple friends around here with any Marvel interest, and online is gross.

Guess I should learn some Ironman, but what are the alternatives for rushdown cover assist besides Magneto and Doom?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Jmcrofts posted:

So I dropped Viewtiful Joe for Storm, so I'm now playing Storm/Firebrand/Sentinel. Storm is really really good 0_0 I highly recommend her to any MvC2 fans, her gameplay seems largely intact still (except lightning storm being a lovely super now -_-)

About a day late, but whatever. I'm really liking this team. I got to fool around with Firebrand and Storm last night at a friend's house, and I'm really liking them both so far. What assist are you using for Firebrand?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Bovineicide posted:

About a day late, but whatever. I'm really liking this team. I got to fool around with Firebrand and Storm last night at a friend's house, and I'm really liking them both so far. What assist are you using for Firebrand?

I'm using swoop. I'm not particularly impressed with any of Firebrand's assists, but none of them are really bad. I just like swoop because it covers a decent amount of space when Sentinel is flying, and IMO it's the best alpha counter. Also I'm playing them in the order Firebrand/Storm/Sentinel now.

It's good you brought this up, I was just about to make an effortpost about Firebrand+Sent and why it's awesome. Here's a few dirty tricks:

-An obvious and effective mixup is to call drones then do dp+m to cross up. This is pretty good, especially when combined with dp+l to do a non-cross up.

-Even better in my mind is call drones and do dp+h, particularly if you have the opponent in the corner. After they block the swoop, you can do S to hit them on top or QCB+L to hit them low and it's really hard to block. You have enough time from the drones to do a few mixups. This is also really potent on incoming characters, especially in the corner.

-A dirty setup for landing unblockable swoop is to kill a character, then call drones and do a M fireball so that it hits the incoming character right when they appear on screen. Immediately begin charging dp+H. They'll block the drones and then get hit by the unblockable. The nice thing is you can combo after it whether they're blocking in the air or on the ground. You have to do qcb+L really fast to combo after, but you get a full BNB.

NOTE i'm not sure if the above is inescapable for most characters. I've only tried it a few times in match so far and it seems to work if you do it just right, but I'm not 100% on it.

-A good way to get some mixup started is to do a ground fireball and call drones, particularly out of a blockstring. Fireball is extremely safe on block and high-priority, and that'll keep sentinel safe and then you can go mix them up while they're blocking drones.

-One such mixup I love to apply is jumping, then doing qcb+L and quickly hitting low. Almost no one blocks this the first time you do it, and you can mix up between that and actually doing a jump-in attack for really mean high/low. This has basically become my go-to mixup whenever I have them blocking an assist.

-One neat combo that's kind of situational, is that if you ever know a ground fireball is going to hit the opponent, like if they shoot a weak projectile at the same time or something, you can cancel it into power-up super and get QCF+S (the surfboard) for free. You get a full combo off this.

I probably have some other stuff I'll think of later. I definitely think sentinel drones is the absolute best assist for Firebrand.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 28, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is Captain America easy to pick up, and is he worth using on point?

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

He's basically a marvel shoto, He's probably not the best, but has a lot of tools make him far from being the worst. Also he does fine on point. Probably good for learning mechanics and such.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Wolverine's infinite isn't as easy as I thought it was to execute. You also have to mash pretty hard to keep it going; gets pretty tiring after a few seconds. :(

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Jmcrofts posted:

Firebrand stuff

Good to know! I've found that if you hit with DP+H you can hitconfirm by doing the foot dive (d+H) before landing with QCB+L. It wastes a ground bounce but if you're not confident if you're going to follow up worse things could happen.

Firebrand works pretty great as setup for Frank West–One BnB combo into a TAC will get Frank to at least level 3 without much effort, and Firebrand's mixup game is so good that if the TAC fails he has a large number of ways to try again. Not to mention Bon Voyage racks up huge amounts of hits. Still, I wish there were a slightly less luck-based way to do it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is Felicia/Haggar/Morigan a decent team? I think I am the world's worst player and I'm having a hard time finding a team that works. I was using She-Hulk but I could never get her to connect with anything so I gave up with that. I figure Morigan has a projectile and is pretty basic to learn and Haggar has that lariat assist. Felicia is the only character other than She-Hulk I have any real combos learned so I kinda want to keep her but I'm not attached to anyone else really.

I think I really need to learn how to block in this game since I get punished for every whiffed attack I try but everyone else seems to have no issues attacking me then interrupting my stuff when I try to retaliate.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 28, 2011

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Radish posted:

Is Felicia/Haggar/Morigan a decent team. I think I am the world's worst player and I'm having a hard time finding a team that works. I was using She-Hulk but I could never get her to connect with anything so I gave up with that. I figure Morigan has a projectile and is pretty basic to learn and Haggar has that lariat assist. Felicia is the only character other than She-Hulk I have any real combos learned so I kinda want to keep her but I'm not attached to anyone else really.

Also I'm having real problems getting through people's blocking. Is there some trick I'm missing since they don't seem to have any difficulty hitting me when I'm crouch blocking.

Overhead attacks (that is most air attacks, and a select few ground specials and command normals) will hit a crouch blocking enemy. Low attacks (mostly crouching attacks) will hit a stand blocking enemy. Air blocks will block everything.

You should be blocking by holding Up+Back rather than attempting to block at the correct height, unless you see something you can punish on block.

You should also be pushblocking (hit two attack buttons at the same time during blockstun) everything you block that you cannot punish.

Ideally, you want to not be getting hit, or having to block attacks, at all. Movement and offense are the best defense.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
qualifying this post by saying that i'm really, really bad

I've been playing Ghost Rider/Firebrand/Haggar. Are there any really obvious problems with synergy on this team? I really love all the characters but it feels like none of them are really great anchors. I'm not super impressed with any of GR or Firebrand's assists, so I run them in that order, but Haggar is probably the absolute worst choice to have on anchor with that team, he really seems quite bad without an assist.

Does anyone think this team is salvagable with these three characters, and if so what order/assists do you think?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Firebrand anchor is pretty decent and probably a better choice than Haggar. So probably run Ghost Rider/Haggar/Firebrand. If you get down to just firebrand, you can burn all your meters on XF3, luminous body, and maybe lv3 if you have it and he can tear through characters super fast.

Mac9k5
Apr 5, 2011
I am working on a Captain America (α Shield Slash)/ Ghost Rider (α Chain of Retribution)/ Arthur (γ Fire Bottle Toss) team. I like captain on point with his back flip and ghost rider assist he can make a decent cross up and resets to make him a decent battery. Ghost Rider just jumps around and goes for full screen mix ups like ya do, and i have a nasty combo trick with the fire bottle assist. And I have Arthur at the end, doing the only thing he is kinda good at, level 3 X factor gold armor and chip damage the gently caress out of the dude. I always loved Ghost Rider and Arthur there is just no way i can't play them both. that said any advice is welcome, give me your worst.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Put firebrand on last position. He has some sick-nasty lvl 3 x-factor loops. Put him 3rd with the charging attack assist (forget the name) and have haggar on second with lariat.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

He's basically a marvel shoto, He's probably not the best, but has a lot of tools make him far from being the worst. Also he does fine on point. Probably good for learning mechanics and such.

Mmm, not quite: Captain America hits like a bus now and has great mixups between his Double Jump, Cartwheel and Shield Slash. And with the way his Shield Slash works in MvC3 you have to be very mindful of your spacing at all times: both in your position in relation to the enemy as well as where you both are on the screen and alter your combos to suit those situations. And there's that factor of enemy size / weight that plays a larger role in Cap's combos than those of most other characters.

He really has a great tools and isn't as straight-forward as you'd might think. The only real shame of him is that his Level 3 is pretty terrible. That and his d+MP does remarkably little damage for some strange reason (only 2k above his standing jab).

Most folks really don't know how to deal with his Shield Slashes, and they don't realize that a Shield Slash from nearly full screen can easily lead to a combo that deals 700k+. Another bit about the Shield Slash that is easily overlooked is that the L-Version OTG's from the air, which can help in the continuation of combos (and great for keeping assists from escaping).

Charging Star's fast and trumps most projectiles and the L / H versions recover fairly quickly while getting Cap across the screen in a hurry. Between it, Cartwheel, Double Jump and Hyper Charging Star it's enough to zoners plenty to worry about.

That said, the Hyper Charging Star is easily beaten by physical attacks. I need to see how well Hyper Stars and Stripes can work as a counter attack super, since the invincibility is about the only thing it has going for it.

I should utilize his Stars and Stripes more as a defensive option (the L version in particular). It just seems like a risky option with its recovery.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I made a spreadsheet of everyone's jab speeds and I feel like it's worth mentioning that Cap's c.L is tied for fastest in the game outside of Dark Phoenix. This means that Cap's c.L jab is better than like 75% of the cast. I believe it has pretty good range too. So when you are playing Cap, get in there.

I picked up a tip that I think is worth sharing. Jumping has a 4 frame startup before you jump. If you input a normal during those 4 frames it will come out as soon as possible after the jump begins. This works during the superjump startup frames when you cancel launcher to superjump and makes hitting fly/unfly combos a million times easier.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Duck and burger posted:

Guess I should learn some Ironman, but what are the alternatives for rushdown cover assist besides Magneto and Doom?

It's still a little early, but Iron Man isn't looking great. Unibeam is good, but probably not enough to justify his place on a team.

For other assists, try Taskmaster if you're looking for another horizontal assist. Arrows do a ton of damage and his BnB is easy. Same with Hawkeye. If you're looking for someone to generally make a rushdown scarier, try Ammy. Cold star locks people down for so long, if your mix up game is solid, it's almost impossible to not open someone up (see Marlinpie for terrifying cold star + tri jump play.)

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I made a quick video showing the gimlet thing, and that video is this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QXv7fUjW1o

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Sick

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Captain America is to this game as Ryu is to Street Fighter, if you're completely new to Marvel games he's pretty good for figuring out how everything works because he's fairly well rounded and plays straightforward-ish.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Would someone be able to hold up-back during gimlet's super flash to just barely get their feet off the ground and block mid-air just before the Thor DHC?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Frank/Nemesis/Sent seems to be working for me, only crucial piece I'm missing is leveling up Frank quickly, any suggestions for this? I know the higher the combo the faster you level when you snap the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

The Crusher posted:

Would someone be able to hold up-back during gimlet's super flash to just barely get their feet off the ground and block mid-air just before the Thor DHC?

Yeah, that's why nobody gets hit by it twice. Strangely, if you hold up back you block and don't get grabbed, but you never leave the floor, so an anti-air super afterwards won't work.

• Locked thread