Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

oldskool posted:

I know he got WWF Magazine writer Lou Gianfriddo with the chicken wing on RAW, but I think Russo & Gianfriddo are different people.
I remember Vic Venom referring to Gianfriddo as "Louie The Frito" in one of his columns...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Perigryn posted:

I remember Vic Venom referring to Gianfriddo as "Louie The Frito" in one of his columns...

The thing I remember most about his columns was him demanding they "Run a picture of Jeff Jarrett in this column from now on, even if I don't talk about him!" And they did.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
I'm in contact with an indy wrestler who's a) local and b) had Ian Rotten shoot on him and bash his head in with a chair. Should I ask him to do an interview about his indy career?

AtomicDrop
Nov 7, 2011
I would love to read (watch?) that interview, especially if he has dirt on Ian, that's always entertaining.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
I was playing WWE 12 and thought why is Vader called Vader? Is it a Star Wars thing or something else?
Also he got to keep the name when he went to WWE was this always the case or was he going to be called some cheese ball name instead?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MisterGBH posted:

I was playing WWE 12 and thought why is Vader called Vader? Is it a Star Wars thing or something else?
Also he got to keep the name when he went to WWE was this always the case or was he going to be called some cheese ball name instead?

I believe the Vader gimmick was created in Japan and they were just looking for a guy to fill it, and Leon White was the guy. The name itself was probably based on Star Wars, yeah.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MisterGBH posted:

When he debuted in New Japan, he was given the moniker of "Big Van Vader", which was supposedly based on some sort of mythical legend in Japan. I have no idea if that explanation is actually true, however.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

flashy_mcflash posted:

I believe the Vader gimmick was created in Japan and they were just looking for a guy to fill it, and Leon White was the guy. The name itself was probably based on Star Wars, yeah.

Vader used to have a crazy mask that looked like a stormtrooper had sex with a cylon that was born from the mating between satan and another science fiction robot. It always looked vaguely star warsy to me, but Japan is weird so who knows.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

FishBulb posted:

Vader used to have a crazy mask that looked like a stormtrooper had sex with a cylon that was born from the mating between satan and another science fiction robot. It always looked vaguely star warsy to me, but Japan is weird so who knows.

It was loving awesome and I wish they'd give it to his son. I was so disappointed when he came to WWE without the armour. If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't have watched WCW until at least 1995 or 1996. I remember switching the channel to WCW Worldwide after Superstars one day and being like WHAT THE CHRIST.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
So I watched Guest Booker with Al Snow and like most stuff with Al Snow he's a very opinionated guy.

His experience as a booker would be his time with OVW, where Snow claims that ratings went up and attendance went up in his time as booker. Anyone know if this is true? And if it is true, is Al Snow the best kept secret in booking?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Behold!!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lone Rogue posted:

So I watched Guest Booker with Al Snow and like most stuff with Al Snow he's a very opinionated guy.

His experience as a booker would be his time with OVW, where Snow claims that ratings went up and attendance went up in his time as booker. Anyone know if this is true? And if it is true, is Al Snow the best kept secret in booking?

If I recall correctly, Snow took over after Cornette got axed, and the show basically went into a freefall. So I'm pretty sure Snow is completely full of poo poo.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

If I recall correctly, Snow took over after Cornette got axed, and the show basically went into a freefall. So I'm pretty sure Snow is completely full of poo poo.

His claim was directly, "We went from 60 people for TV tapings to 300 and they had to increase the amount of Fairgrounds shows because of how we were doing".

I met Al Snow once. He spent most of the time sleeping. He agreed with something I said instead of calling me a jackass smart mark which is an oxymoron you loving retard so that was nice.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
My favourite part of that interview is that Al Snow apparently doesn't understand the concept of fiction.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

So he actually did eat that dog? :(

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Behold!!

I like how the "Big" is in quotes, as if that's just a nickname but Van Vader isn't at all questionable. Mother fucker is big!!

That mask always reminded me of that He Man character with an elephant head, painted black

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lone Rogue posted:

His claim was directly, "We went from 60 people for TV tapings to 300 and they had to increase the amount of Fairgrounds shows because of how we were doing".

I wish there was an online reference for OVW attendance, because he is so full of poo poo here.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I wish there was an online reference for OVW attendance, because he is so full of poo poo here.

I've come to accept with Al that most of his "facts" are hogwash and some of his opinions are his own but if he had a wrestling school I'd send every wantabee wrestler I knew to it. I love his philosophy on the business.

Of course, he also thinks Larry Sharpe had the first wrestling school...

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.

oldskool posted:

I know he got WWF Magazine writer Lou Gianfriddo with the chicken wing on RAW, but I think Russo & Gianfriddo are different people.

Ah right ok. My mistake.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

oldpainless posted:

Behold!!

Crouton
Feb 10, 2006
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, cuz there's bugger all down here on Earth.

MisterGBH posted:

I think Jim Cornette once said that Vince wanted to call him Mastodon - not just as in "look at this mastodon, this mammoth of a man!" like he said on commentary, he wanted his name to be Mastodon. Eventually they just stuck with Vader because of the pre-existing name recognition.

Funny that later they started calling Brodus Clay "The Mastodon of Mayhem." I guess that, like Kane, Vince has wanted to use the name Mastodon for a long time.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Crouton posted:

Eventually they just stuck with Vader because of the pre-existing name recognition.

What an odd concept!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Behold!!

You need to mention that the mask spewed smoke.

HulkaMatt posted:

What an odd concept!

Vince is pretty good about that. For example, he changed the Road Warriors to the Legion of Doom.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Going back to Russo appearing on WWF TV, he appeared on a Raw in the ring in 1997 to give a WWF magazine award to someone.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I just remember re-watching this a couple years back and being like "Holy poo poo that's Vince Russo"

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

You need to mention that the mask spewed smoke.

Vince is pretty good about that. For example, he changed the Road Warriors to the Legion of Doom.

They were the Legion of Doom in Georgia Championship Wrestling, well before they got to the WWE.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think they used Legion of Doom in promos when they were Road Warriors too, it was just an alternate name.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think they used Legion of Doom in promos when they were Road Warriors too, it was just an alternate name.

Sorry, I meant more that he retired the Road Warriors name.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sorry, I meant more that he retired the Road Warriors name.

I wonder if he thought he'd get sued by Mel Gibson? Though I guess he'd have gone after them all that time they were actually working as Road Warriors.

Basically I just want to see Mel Gibson take the Doomsday Device.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I wonder if he thought he'd get sued by Mel Gibson? Though I guess he'd have gone after them all that time they were actually working as Road Warriors.

Jews were behind the Montreal Screwjob!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

How many gimmicks sprung up out of that movie or series of movies? Besides the Road Warriors, one of Sid's initial gimmicks was Lord Humongous, which was from Mad max 2.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

How many gimmicks sprung up out of that movie or series of movies? Besides the Road Warriors, one of Sid's initial gimmicks was Lord Humongous, which was from Mad max 2.

From a Yahoo! Answers:

1.The Road Warriors
2.Lord Humongous
3.Mad Maxine
4.Master Blasters
5.The Thunder Dome
6.The Wheel (mostly used in World Championship Wrestling)

Powers of Pain and Demolition should be considered as well. I always thought Luna Vachon took her style from Mad Max but maybe she was just being punk.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

Going back to Russo appearing on WWF TV, he appeared on a Raw in the ring in 1997 to give a WWF magazine award to someone.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I just remember re-watching this a couple years back and being like "Holy poo poo that's Vince Russo"

Back a year or so ago when I marathoned Raws from like 96-99, I actually saw this. He was there as "The Head Writer of WWF Magazine" or something to give Sable (and Sunny, although she absent due to illness - I have no idea the backstory to this) an award for best selling issue in WWF Magazine history. It was this dual bikini spread thing, and the whole ceremony ended with someone - maybe Luna - attacking and stripping Sable. Russo, being the progressive and kind-hearted man that he is, took off his jacket and covered Sable up to protect her modesty.

I don't remember, however, if he was identified as "Vince Russo" or as some sort of gimmick name. I'm pretty sure it was the former.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Back a year or so ago when I marathoned Raws from like 96-99, I actually saw this. He was there as "The Head Writer of WWF Magazine" or something to give Sable (and Sunny, although she absent due to illness - I have no idea the backstory to this) an award for best selling issue in WWF Magazine history. It was this dual bikini spread thing, and the whole ceremony ended with someone - maybe Luna - attacking and stripping Sable. Russo, being the progressive and kind-hearted man that he is, took off his jacket and covered Sable up to protect her modesty.

I don't remember, however, if he was identified as "Vince Russo" or as some sort of gimmick name. I'm pretty sure it was the former.

He went by Vic Venom in the magazine at the time

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Lone Rogue posted:

From a Yahoo! Answers:

1.The Road Warriors
2.Lord Humongous
3.Mad Maxine
4.Master Blasters
5.The Thunder Dome
6.The Wheel (mostly used in World Championship Wrestling)

Powers of Pain and Demolition should be considered as well. I always thought Luna Vachon took her style from Mad Max but maybe she was just being punk.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flashy_mcflash posted:

Vader is dutch for "Father", and Vader does nothing else that is similar to Darth Vader. I mean, if his finisher was a chokeslam, maybe. But apart from that it's pretty tough.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Thanks for answering the Vader question guys. It's an odd mix really.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So what's up with Jinder Mahal? Whenever someone asks 'why isn't this dude fired' people say he's huge in India but...all he ever gets to do is get clowned on in pretty racist ways. Is he some big name from India or something, or is it just kinda 'hey he's the only dude who looks like us and speaks Hindi in his promos, better than nothing I guess'?

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Vader's ring name doesn't come from Star Wars, actually. It was the name of some legendary samurai and Inoki gave it to him in New Japan. Vader said this in an interview, although I don't have a link.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Jinder isn't huge in India. I don't think anybody actually believes that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

Jinder isn't huge in India. I don't think anybody actually believes that.

Well, WWE might.