Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
My 06 WRX Wagon started acting slightly strange yesterday, and I'm looking for any advice before I take it in to the dealership to get it checked. I purchased it from someone in September, single owner, car was in amazing shape, etc etc. I've put maybe 1000 miles on it since then, and drive it fairly conservatively, it's my daily driver and lives most of its life on surface streets.

Yesterday I noticed a strange and very slight hissing sound when I was accelerating, it seems correlated to the revs (higher = louder). Its pretty much gone in 4th gear, but in 2nd and 3rd its fairly noticeable although still very quiet. I am fairly certain it is not turbo related, but it could be. It seems to go away if I have the clutch all the way in, but sticks around for a few seconds after I take my foot off the gas. The car feels fine for the most part, and I haven't noticed any loss in power.

I hesitate to say that accelerating feels shaky, but it just feels a little off. I might also be a little hypersensitive/paranoid. I couldn't replicate the noise while revving it in my driveway so I don't think I can get a video of the nose or anything.

I have very basic maintenance skills, but this is a new car for me, so I'd be wary to take anything major apart to check it. Just the turbo spooling up and down? Vacuum leak? EXPLODED HEAD GASKETS?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Yesterday afternoon, I became the proud new owner of a 2005 Outback XT. 71K miles, impeccable cosmetic condition, and a full service history.

I absolutely love it. My only gripe is that there is no way to add an AUX input to the radio, short of modifying the radio itself, or replacing it with one from an 07-09 Outback. All in all, I'm very, very happy.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

MullardEL34 posted:

Yesterday afternoon, I became the proud new owner of a 2005 Outback XT. 71K miles, impeccable cosmetic condition, and a full service history.

I absolutely love it. My only gripe is that there is no way to add an AUX input to the radio, short of modifying the radio itself, or replacing it with one from an 07-09 Outback. All in all, I'm very, very happy.

I've found in-line FM modulators to be a pretty good compromise between install effort and sound quality. Not quite as good as a direct line but surely better than a transmitter and doesn't require any modification of the stereo itself. Not sure how difficult it is to R&R the head unit on an '05 but it can't be more difficult than most cars. At least yours only has the fascia for the HVAC controls integrated with it, and not the actual controls themselves.

ickna
May 19, 2004

I got so mad at trying to use the FM transmitter in my '05 XT, none of them were powerful enough to keep a good signal without some voodoo wire placement, so I ordered one of these:
http://www.jazzyengineering.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28
it took less than 20 minutes to install. despite appearances, the radio is really easy to get out and all you're doing is plugging in a ribbon cable to tap the CD changer's line level outputs. It's absolutely worth the effort for the sound quality and no longer futzing with the frequency every 10 miles. it also costs about as much as one of those in-line fm modulators.

also, keep an eye on your turbo - like clockwork, they tend to start failing between 100k and 130k.

edit: fixed the URL

ickna fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 28, 2011

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

law abiding rapist posted:

I've found in-line FM modulators to be a pretty good compromise between install effort and sound quality. Not quite as good as a direct line but surely better than a transmitter and doesn't require any modification of the stereo itself. Not sure how difficult it is to R&R the head unit on an '05 but it can't be more difficult than most cars. At least yours only has the fascia for the HVAC controls integrated with it, and not the actual controls themselves.

Actually, I have the radio with the dual zone climate control, which IS integrated into the radio chassis itself. :suicide: I can use a dual zone CC radio with aux-in from an 07-09 legacy or outback. Guess I'll start scouring salvage yards and used parts resellers.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

ickna posted:

I got so mad at trying to use the FM transmitter in my '05 XT, none of them were powerful enough to keep a good signal without some voodoo wire placement, so I ordered one of these:
http://www.jazzyengineering.com/product_info.php?products_id=44
it took less than 20 minutes to install. despite appearances, the radio is really easy to get out and all you're doing is plugging in a ribbon cable to tap the CD changer's line level outputs. It's absolutely worth the effort for the sound quality and no longer futzing with the frequency every 10 miles. it also costs about as much as one of those in-line fm modulators.

also, keep an eye on your turbo - like clockwork, they tend to start failing between 100k and 130k.

I just found an even better mod than the jazzy kit. http://sites.google.com/site/leptronix/ Doesn't require a silent CD. I'm probably going to go with this. Cheaper than a salvage yard 07-09 radio.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 28, 2011

ickna
May 19, 2004

MullardEL34 posted:

I just found an even better mod than the jazzy kit. http://sites.google.com/site/leptronix/ Doesn't require a silent CD. I'm probably going to go with this. Cheaper than a salvage yard 07-09 radio.

the silent CD isn't really that inconvenient except for the half a second pause every 72 minutes in which it restarts to 0:00. looking at the install instructions for this one, it looks like it's actually more work to solder the extra wire and drill a hole for the switch.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Iron Lung posted:

My 06 WRX Wagon started acting slightly strange yesterday, and I'm looking for any advice before I take it in to the dealership to get it checked. I purchased it from someone in September, single owner, car was in amazing shape, etc etc. I've put maybe 1000 miles on it since then, and drive it fairly conservatively, it's my daily driver and lives most of its life on surface streets.

Yesterday I noticed a strange and very slight hissing sound when I was accelerating, it seems correlated to the revs (higher = louder). Its pretty much gone in 4th gear, but in 2nd and 3rd its fairly noticeable although still very quiet. I am fairly certain it is not turbo related, but it could be. It seems to go away if I have the clutch all the way in, but sticks around for a few seconds after I take my foot off the gas. The car feels fine for the most part, and I haven't noticed any loss in power.

I hesitate to say that accelerating feels shaky, but it just feels a little off. I might also be a little hypersensitive/paranoid. I couldn't replicate the noise while revving it in my driveway so I don't think I can get a video of the nose or anything.

I have very basic maintenance skills, but this is a new car for me, so I'd be wary to take anything major apart to check it. Just the turbo spooling up and down? Vacuum leak? EXPLODED HEAD GASKETS?!

Sounds like some kind of exhaust leak. But could be a small boost leak as well. Try spraying soapy water on your exhaust gaskets (when they're cold) then go for a quick drive and check for bubbles. If that's clean check your intake hoses and make sure they're all properly connected as well, perhaps try the soapy water there as well.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Alright! I've had the GL home for a couple days now and managed to make an inventory of all the immediate work it needs. I have to redo the wheel bearings, do shocks and springs, gas struts on the rear hatch so it stops trying to knock me unconscious, and replace all the fluids.I figure once I've done that it'll be running pretty reasonably and I can take my time to save up a little scratch and do an EJ22 swap.

Even with it making some hellish noises going down the road, it's a hoot to drive around so once it's all trimmed out I believe it'll be a fine ol' go buggy.

I should take some pictures.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

PadreScout posted:

I am now the proud owner of a 1988 Subaru GL!! It's a wagon, it has the low range, body is pretty straight, no rust at all (well, if you want to be a dick about it, there is a very superficial patch on the rear hatch) 186,000 miles. It has a few bugs like some horrendous drumming sound that comes from the passenger side and a few odds and ends like needing shocks and odd bits on the body- but all in all it's very nice!

I'm pretty stoked about this machine.

Congrats!
Sounds a lot better than mine!
Mine used to be fwd auto, then swapped to dual range by a hack job mechanic two owners ago... It has some nice features though, like if I want something out of my trunk I don't actually have to open the lid. I can just reach through the rust holes and grab what I'm looking for.

These cars are so easy to work on though, you'll think you're in mechanic heaven.
Blow both front axles 600 miles into a 1100 mile roadtrip? No problem! It takes an hour and a half to change them in a strip mall parking lot!!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone use a Cobb downpipe? Any complaints? Thinking of picking one up as a Christmas present for myself. I want to hit that , baby.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have an Agency Power bellmouth downpipe and aside from the mount points being off for my 05, the fitment is very good.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
hey jamal can you hook me up wit that list for the gaskets? i am waiting on my bearings to come in and then it motor build time.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 29, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Here's most of it. doesn't include valve seals or injector seals, tb and tgv gaskets, extras, or any of the timing cover seals

rear main seal - 806786040
oil seals in block - 10991AA000 (4x)
water seal in block - 806932030
washer/seals for case bolts - 11034AA000 (6x)
front main seal - 806733030
oil pickup o-ring - 11122AA000 (but you should get a killerb pickup)

headgasket 04-06 11044AA642 (2x)
intake cam seal - 806742160 (2x)
exhaust cam seal - 806732160 (2x)
exhaust manifold gasket - 14038AA000 (2x)
intake manifold gasket - 14035AA421 (2x)
BOV gasket - 21896AA010
turbo/uppipe gasket - 44022AA150
turbo/downpipe gasket - 44022AA180
RH valve cover gasket - 13270AA190
LH valve cover gasket - 13272AA140
spark plug hole gaskets - 13293AA050
water pump gasket - 21114AA051
oil cooler gasket - 21370KA001
water crossover o-ring - 806933010 (2x)

turbo banjo washer - 803910050 (2x)
avcs/turbo water washer - 803912040 (10x)

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
anyone have any experience with these guys?

http://www.rpmrons.com/Subarukits.html

I'm tying to find a gasket kit for my subby, cause it leaks oil out of loving EVERYWHERE and if I could completely rebuild the motor.... well, hey, there we go.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

Here's most of it. doesn't include valve seals or injector seals, tb and tgv gaskets, extras, or any of the timing cover seals

rear main seal - 806786040
oil seals in block - 10991AA000 (4x)
water seal in block - 806932030
washer/seals for case bolts - 11034AA000 (6x)
front main seal - 806733030
oil pickup o-ring - 11122AA000 (but you should get a killerb pickup)

headgasket 04-06 11044AA642 (2x)
intake cam seal - 806742160 (2x)
exhaust cam seal - 806732160 (2x)
exhaust manifold gasket - 14038AA000 (2x)
intake manifold gasket - 14035AA421 (2x)
BOV gasket - 21896AA010
turbo/uppipe gasket - 44022AA150
turbo/downpipe gasket - 44022AA180
RH valve cover gasket - 13270AA190
LH valve cover gasket - 13272AA140
spark plug hole gaskets - 13293AA050
water pump gasket - 21114AA051
oil cooler gasket - 21370KA001
water crossover o-ring - 806933010 (2x)

turbo banjo washer - 803910050 (2x)
avcs/turbo water washer - 803912040 (10x)

Excellent, thanks :)

Do you have a recommended place to get them from?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

you guys get a shop rate at a dealership?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

you guys get a shop rate at a dealership?

Nope. Mazda yes, Subaru not a chance.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

Cat Terrist posted:

Nope. Mazda yes, Subaru not a chance.

Funny thing is that trade price on genuine Subaru head gaskets is cheaper than trade price Repco ones. Subaru markup is nearly as bad as BMW

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

kylej posted:

Anyone use a Cobb downpipe? Any complaints? Thinking of picking one up as a Christmas present for myself. I want to hit that , baby.

I have a friend with an 06 wrx using the cobb catt'd downpipe, he likes it a lot. good fitment etc. His current setup with 18g, sti intercooler, 800cc injectors on a stock motor is netting him ~280awhp.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've seen dealers mark up parts over msrp, which really pisses me off.

the crap shop rate is 20% off, the good shop rate is 25% off, and wholesalers like subarugenuineparts.com sell for 27% off.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

I don't think this question is big enough for its own thread so I'll just ask it here. I've got a 04 WRX with about 130,000 and I went to go start it this morning my oil light is on but very dim. I check the oil and find I'm a little low so I top it off. I let it run for a bit and the oil light slowly fades out. Later I start the car again and same thing oil light is on but my dipstick says I'm good. Anybody have any idea what could be the culprit? It's strange that the light would be on so dimly and not ON.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

hey jamal can you hook me up wit that list for the gaskets? i am waiting on my bearings to come in and then it motor build time.

Umm try just getting a kit like this...

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Full_Gasket_and_Seal_Kits_for_02_07_Subaru_WRX_STI-1972-1.html

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Gunbus posted:

I don't think this question is big enough for its own thread so I'll just ask it here. I've got a 04 WRX with about 130,000 and I went to go start it this morning my oil light is on but very dim. I check the oil and find I'm a little low so I top it off. I let it run for a bit and the oil light slowly fades out. Later I start the car again and same thing oil light is on but my dipstick says I'm good. Anybody have any idea what could be the culprit? It's strange that the light would be on so dimly and not ON.

Oil lights don't measure the amount of oil your car has, they measure the oil pressure your motor has.

As for your issue, it could be one of two things. You are actually losing oil pressure, which would be bad. The other more likely scenario is the sensor is throwing a fit. My 02 RS would do the same exact thing in winter during rain showers. Once the car warms up the light goes out. I've verified with an oil pressure gauge.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Well I guess the rain issue is more likely its been wet and cold here for two days straight and my car sits outside. So I guess I'll give it quick test drive and let it warm up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I had heart failure one day after I cleaned the engine bay on my '02 when the oil light came on dimly. It eventually went out after everything dried out fully.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Welp. I just got back from running some errands and the light stayed off the whole time and everything ran just fine. So I guess the wetness is to blame but I'll put in a new sensor just to be on the safe side in case this is a sign that its about to go.
Thanks for the help.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

MullardEL34 posted:

Actually, I have the radio with the dual zone climate control, which IS integrated into the radio chassis itself. :suicide: I can use a dual zone CC radio with aux-in from an 07-09 legacy or outback. Guess I'll start scouring salvage yards and used parts resellers.

Wait, there's an 07-09 stock radio that has an Aux-In? I thought they just played MP3 CDs. I've been debating the Jazzy kit for a while, but the silent CD sounds like a pain. Do you have a part number by any chance?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The 07 WRX head unit (which I bought from deuce sluice and haven't bothered to install yet because I am a horrible person) has an available aux-in.

You need the head unit, a wiring harness (apparently not sold separately) and an aux-in (available here) which goes in the ashtray.

Reportedly some guy on NASIOC makes the wiring harnesses himself so you might be able to make it work by just buying the head unit.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

kylej posted:

My '11 5-door STI didn't change much from 0-70mph but everything after 80mph or so was surprisingly faster than stage 1.

Finally got around to getting an aggressive alignment, put it off too long telling myself I should pick up sways, end links, ect. Decided that as a daily driver all suspension mods should wait till I pick up a beater in the future. Cant wait to feel the difference tonight. Everything I've read on here, at NASIOC, and heard at my shop says 0 toe and a little more neg camber up front helps a lot. If anyone here is on the fence about doing so I can post a personal opinion later tonight.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
So, my '07 Outback XT is just about at the end of its powertrain warranty (sitting at about 95,000KM). What should I have my dealer look at during my next service? I'm already planning on the standard leak down / compression tests, but is there anything else I should have them take a peek at before my warranty is up?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Hot Cops posted:

So, my '07 Outback XT is just about at the end of its powertrain warranty (sitting at about 95,000KM). What should I have my dealer look at during my next service? I'm already planning on the standard leak down / compression tests, but is there anything else I should have them take a peek at before my warranty is up?
Make sure the belts are in good condition and double check for power steering, coolant, oil leaks, that kind of thing.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Would anyone happen to know the torque specs for the front and rear brake caliper mount bolts for an 09 WRX?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Cops posted:

Have them do a hydrocarbon test on the coolant. HG leaks aren't common in the 2.5 turbos, but they happen more often than I'd like and they are horribly expensive.

If you have a manual, your gearbox fluid is either due or overdue depending on who you talk to. Have them put in extra-S (an OEM subaru fluid, though not what they normally put in 5 speeds). Plus you can find out if any metal comes out!
Wheel bearings are covered by powertrain, so get them checked.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Canadian dealers do not have Extra-S; in my experience (with four dealers), they will put in Motul or some other gear oil.

Someone could probably make decent money smuggling it from Montana into Southern Alberta.

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept

Iron Lung posted:

Similar case here. I've had my 03 wrx for about 2 months. Recently took the back seat out to do some cleaning. Took the car for a drive, immediately noticed a high pitch noise when the car was at low rpms. No performance issues, just annoying. Is this completely normal and I'm only noticing it because the back seat is out, or is it something else?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I have an unusual issue with my Subaru, and I wanted to pitch what happened in here just to see if anyone has any ideas. For reference, I've got a 1999 Legacy SUS with just shy of 100k miles on it. 2 years ago I had both head gaskets replaced, along with a bunch of other maintenance done while the mechanics had it opened up (slight engine knock fixed, some oil leaks, etc).
So, tonight while driving home from out of town on the interstate, I noticed that every couple of seconds, some of the status lights that are below the tach and speedometer would fade in, then fade out, one was for battery, the other was the parking brake.

This went on for about 30-40 minutes beyond being kinda odd. Then, I noticed another light faded in, it was the ABS light, which faded out, and a minute later or so, my stereo cut out completely. Right after that happened, I noticed the lights on the console started to fade, and I noticed both the tach and speedometer had both dropped to 0, the odometer stopped, 30 seconds later I started losing power. So I slowed down and started pulling over to the side of the road, as I slowed down, everything suddenly came back on, including my good friend the check engine light.

I sat on the side of the road for awhile, then put it back in gear and pulled out on the road and drove another 50 miles without issues to home.
Now, I plan on calling up a mechanic tomorrow and having them look at it, as this is something I don't want to deal with in winter again after the head gasket issue a few years ago, having no heat during winter really sucks. But I thought I'd see if anyone has heard of this before.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's entirely possible they missed or didn't screw down a ground wire completely when they were reconnecting the wiring harness when putting the motor back in. It shouldn't be too hard for them to fix if that's the case.

Can you expound on what they did to the engine specifically, especially the part where they fixed the knock? The SUS is a cool car and I'm excited to see that someone is taking good care of theirs.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 30, 2011

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's entirely possible they missed or didn't screw down a ground wire completely when they were reconnecting the wiring harness when putting the motor back in. It shouldn't be too hard for them to fix if that's the case.

Can you expound on what they did to the engine specifically, especially the part where they fixed the knock? The SUS is a cool car and I'm excited to see that someone is taking good care of theirs.

Well, it was about 2 years ago when the work was done, I'll have to see if I can dig up the paperwork. But it was a lot, and pretty expensive, but the car works better then when I picked it up in 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh. Somehow I completely spaced on the part where you said it was two years prior. I'm fairly sure any electrical problem directly related to the install would have shown up before then, but perhaps some part of the wiring harness has gotten damaged by being reinstalled improperly (too close to exhaust manifold, etc) anyway.

Give them a chance to figure it out. It should be obvious if there's a persistent electrical fault just from running a multimeter on the related sensor wires. Since it's a lot of failures, your battery/alternator might also be on the way out, but I have a 200k+ mi 1997 Impreza that's still running around on its original alt so I believe them to be quite stout (knock on wood). That should also be easy to diagnose with a multimeter.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 30, 2011