Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Oh my god this is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

prefect posted:

(My golden age: the Billy West years. My silver age: the post-Billy pre-divorce years, with special points when KC showed up.)

So basically you want a guy getting ready to enjoy his retirement with the love of his life (for now) and who is 55 years old to act like a 30 year old guy in a dysfunctional marriage that isn't working?

Guys... hate to break it, but the show won't ever be the same again. Howard is in a different place, with no battles left to fight. He does what he does now, gets on the show, talks, does an occasional bit, and some interviews. The game show days and crazy bits and stunts are gone.

THOUGH

I think it would be great for Howard to go to Vegas again, or to do another listener-involved contest. It seems like they've gotten into a groove of finding something that they can do without much effort, and they are just riding it out.

I can't blame the guy... he's been working in radio for 30 years and has made a great living out of it and made a lot of regular guys' mornings and helped us get through work. It is what it is.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hunter x az posted:

So basically you want a guy getting ready to enjoy his retirement with the love of his life (for now) and who is 55 years old to act like a 30 year old guy in a dysfunctional marriage that isn't working?

Guys... hate to break it, but the show won't ever be the same again. Howard is in a different place, with no battles left to fight. He does what he does now, gets on the show, talks, does an occasional bit, and some interviews. The game show days and crazy bits and stunts are gone.

Right. That's what I'm saying. He used to be funny, and nowadays he doesn't even try. Which sucks, feels like a betrayal of the earlier part of his career, and it's a shame there's no way to punish him for it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

hunter x az posted:

I can't blame the guy... he's been working in radio for 30 years and has made a great living out of it and made a lot of regular guys' mornings and helped us get through work. It is what it is.

Can we at least blame Sirius for paying the guy a $400 million contract that lacked a "Be Funny" clause?

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

prefect posted:

Right. That's what I'm saying. He used to be funny, and nowadays he doesn't even try. Which sucks, feels like a betrayal of the earlier part of his career, and it's a shame there's no way to punish him for it.

I still regularly laugh at the show and find the vast majority of Howard's opinions to be interesting. He's still my favorite broadcaster on radio. I constantly go between listening to old shows, the shuffle, and the current daily shows and enjoy them all in different ways. Yeah there's clearly a decline in quality, but to me it's still the same Howard. Just old.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YZHPtNMiFg

Janks did a thing

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

sedative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YZHPtNMiFg

Janks did a thing

I love it when the anchor just doesn't listen to his bullshit at all

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
That Greg Porter sounds like a real dipshit. Captain Janks strikes again.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
New show after a week off and not a single comment. Exciting stuff.

Anyway, a news article about a 8-year old kid that weighed 200lbs reminded me of one of my favorite Artie stories where he was asked to be a guest at a Prader-Willi charity event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCEiM3_WLI

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Holy Calamity! posted:

I still regularly laugh at the show and find the vast majority of Howard's opinions to be interesting. He's still my favorite broadcaster on radio. I constantly go between listening to old shows, the shuffle, and the current daily shows and enjoy them all in different ways. Yeah there's clearly a decline in quality, but to me it's still the same Howard. Just old.

I guess I get a little defensive when people come at me with "you're not a real fan of the show" or "you're a hater" or "the show is better than ever and you just don't realize it". Sorry if I went a bit overboard with the attempted explanation. :)

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I imagine that if there was a Nick and Artie thread with focus on Artie stuff from Stern, half of the people who post in this thread would disappear.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

CortezFantastic posted:

I imagine that if there was a Nick and Artie thread with focus on Artie stuff from Stern, half of the people who post in this thread would disappear.

Every time I hear the intro to the Nick and Artie show, I think that Pat Travis song has the Sybian maker's voice in it.

"Here it comes. Get the poison out Raven."

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Every time I hear the intro to the Nick and Artie show, I think that Pat Travis song has the Sybian maker's voice in it.

"Here it comes. Get the poison out Raven."

Yep, same here. First time I heard it I thought it was Mr. Get the Poison Out.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I wish they'd move all the Benjy relationship talk to the Who Gives A poo poo Channel.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Szyznyk posted:

I wish they'd move all the Benjy relationship talk to the Who Gives A poo poo Channel.

At least it gives Fred a chance to talk like him.

"Wut if I had a coo-kie whrapper, then chould I goo down on yooooo"

Alkaphanel
Dec 29, 2008

Szyznyk posted:

I caught this today and thought they'd dropped it. When they had her in to sing her mediocre song, she was pretty adamant that he was "friend zone'd."

Now they're moving in together, but they haven't had sex yet, and she apparently likes him?

I dont know if its schtick for airtime, or what the hell, but if she thinks this is a decent way to get her name out there, I dont think its going to bring in the iTunes sales he told her it will.

Of course it should be that she changed her mind and is suddenly attracted to an unattractive man who acts weird, works on a (perceived) vulgar show and lies about her age.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Ugh, I signed up for a free Sirius offer which I didn't even use. What a moron I am. Has anyone got any recommendations as to how I can make the weekly offers mailed to my house stop? I guess I should feel lucky they aren't calling me on the phone.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

haljordan posted:

Ugh, I signed up for a free Sirius offer which I didn't even use. What a moron I am. Has anyone got any recommendations as to how I can make the weekly offers mailed to my house stop? I guess I should feel lucky they aren't calling me on the phone.

If you figure it out, let me know. They keep re-activating a radio for a two-week preview that was broken into a million pieces. They do it every few months. And they mail me at least twice - when the activate it and at the end of the two weeks when they shut it down.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
I miss Howard picking up on calls from wack packers :(

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

SFN is abuzz about the how Beth saved the seagull. Did Howard try and re-edit the video or something so his voice would be gone from it? The thread at SFN was deleted along with the Howard TV video.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

A Intimate Rimjobs posted:

I miss Howard picking up on calls from wack packers :(

If I were up in New England I would be hitting every trailer court and efficiency motel in Vermont looking for Bigfoot it is.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Kelly posted:

SFN is abuzz about the how Beth saved the seagull. Did Howard try and re-edit the video or something so his voice would be gone from it? The thread at SFN was deleted along with the Howard TV video.

I'm pretty sure he is pulling the video because I leaked the actual footage of Eric the Midget being released.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

I'm pretty sure he is pulling the video because I leaked the actual footage of Eric the Midget being released.

Eh-eh-eh-let. me. out.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Alkaphanel posted:

I dont know if its schtick for airtime, or what the hell, but if she thinks this is a decent way to get her name out there, I dont think its going to bring in the iTunes sales he told her it will.

At least when Kimberly Kane was using JD he got some sex out of it. What is Benjy getting?

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

prefect posted:

I guess I get a little defensive when people come at me with "you're not a real fan of the show" or "you're a hater" or "the show is better than ever and you just don't realize it". Sorry if I went a bit overboard with the attempted explanation. :)

Haha didn't mean to sound like I was coming at you, your opinion is your right, i just felt obligated to throw in that there are people who still actually enjoy the current show, since so many take it for granted that its just horrible now.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Former Human posted:

At least when Kimberly Kane was using JD he got some sex out of it. What is Benjy getting?

The sweetest drug there is for Benjy: attention.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Weird that the first thing I thought of when I heard Patrice O'Neal died is that Artie Lange is still living, and he tried to kill himself. Artie is one of the luckiest people around

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Artie's 'story' is pretty amazing. I mean even the Nick and Artie show was basically DiPaolo just calling him up and asking "Hey wanna do a sports talk show?" and Artie going "Sure why not?"

Still wondering if/when sick days will start becoming a thing. Artie's self destructed at work since MadTV, it'd be nice if he finally broke the mold, but he just sounds miserable sometimes and it makes me nervous :ohdear:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Holy Calamity! posted:

Artie's 'story' is pretty amazing. I mean even the Nick and Artie show was basically DiPaolo just calling him up and asking "Hey wanna do a sports talk show?" and Artie going "Sure why not?"

Still wondering if/when sick days will start becoming a thing. Artie's self destructed at work since MadTV, it'd be nice if he finally broke the mold, but he just sounds miserable sometimes and it makes me nervous :ohdear:

Well, let's take this a few steps at a time. Artie is still coming off of some miserable times, and he's gaining weight and miserable. This could be him finally getting help for his drug abuse and replacing it with food. I imagine rehab wouldn't be able to get rid of opiates without pushing that addiction to something else, then dealing with his addictive behavior.

At least, I hope so. :ohdear:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Just being addicted to food would be a huge step up for Artie, it isn't great, but better than the alternative.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

AxeManiac posted:

Just being addicted to food would be a huge step up for Artie, it isn't great, but better than the alternative.

Even Artie admits he gets addicted to things very easily.

Let's see, he's been addicted to: coke, heroin, gambling, smoking, drinking, food, pills...

If he can channel all of that into food, he may end up a 500 lb elephant, but yeah, it would ironically be the healthiest route he could go.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

CortezFantastic posted:

Weird that the first thing I thought of when I heard Patrice O'Neal died is that Artie Lange is still living, and he tried to kill himself. Artie is one of the luckiest people around

Artie was fat (and I guess still is) but Patrice was enormous. Whichever guest on Tough Crowd who was sitting next to him was dwarfed. Nick and Patrice were the ultimate comedy combo on that show, and I hope Nick properly eulogizes him tonight.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Vakal posted:

Anyway, a news article about a 8-year old kid that weighed 200lbs reminded me of one of my favorite Artie stories where he was asked to be a guest at a Prader-Willi charity event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCEiM3_WLI

All I really knew of the Stern Show before Sirius was the syndicated Howard Stern Radio Show, uh, show. I tuned into the first show on Sirius on a whim, and it was poo poo like this and ETM that loving hooked me.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
^^^^"ALLS I KNOW IS"^^^^^

Szyznyk posted:

Artie was fat (and I guess still is) but Patrice was enormous. Whichever guest on Tough Crowd who was sitting next to him was dwarfed. Nick and Patrice were the ultimate comedy combo on that show, and I hope Nick properly eulogizes him tonight.

ha, he and Nick did that Shorties watchin' Shorties, I liked that show, you guys ever see it?

Patrice sounded like a good dude, what a shame.

As far as Artie goes, I mean drat, don't opiates and the addiction to them change your brain chemistry or something? Hopefully it's reversible, does anyone know anything about it?

chiz fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 30, 2011

Vakal
May 11, 2008

chiz posted:

^^^^"ALLS I KNOW IS"^^^^^

ha, he and Nick did that Shorties watchin' Shorties, I liked that show, you guys ever see it?

Yeah, like all 5 episodes of it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

chiz posted:

Patrice sounded like a good dude, what a shame.

Nick and Patrice were definitely two sides of the same coin. They're both pitbullish and unafraid to say things that were (god help me) politically incorrect, and I'd say they agree way more than they don't. Patrice is actually way more sexist than Nick, which is saying something. I always got a kick out of their friendship. I think they could have done a brilliant remake of "The Defiant Ones".

I like Nick's story about seeing Patrice after a doctor's visit. Nick asks how it went and Patrice tells him "Man, I got 8 of the 10 things that kill niggas!".

Listen to the "WTF" episode with Patrice. He's a fascinating and maddening individual. I'm gonna miss seeing the guy.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wonder if the show will be live tomorrow since it technically will be December.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The countdown to a Katy Perry KC's Gay song starts now!

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I love rear end Napkin Ed. He's a scumbag airwhore but I don't even care, he's just so entertaining to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Between the seagull being released into the wild and the NSAL calendar, Beth and these animals are the gift that keep on giving. It's not even a case of ragging on Howard as it is that I love me some schadenfreude.

Photoshop is HARD!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/howard-stern-is-not-good-at-photoshop