Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

mr_jim posted:

yeah right.

its a semi-sentient hologram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Tasha learned to defend herself on the streets and avoid rape gangs.[1]

1. ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l Okuda, Mike and Denise Okuda, with Debbie Mirek (1999). The Star Trek Encyclopedia. Pocket Books. ISBN 0-671-53609-5.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
trigger warning: rape gangs

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I re-read Ventus this weekend, and I enjoyed it again. It does a good job blending medieval fantasy/politics poo poo with sci-fi concepts like nanotech and murderous computers.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
Is the Virga series worth reading?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bedshaped posted:

terminator 4 was where i realised christian bale might not be so much about going for great roles/acting pieces than he is about the money

he lost a lot of class for me that day since i'd been in love with him from equilibrium, batman & psycho :smith:

The only two acting methods Bale has is either looking stern or yelling.

Plus he has been upstaged by Aussie actors in his past two big Hollywood movies (T4 and Dark Knight)

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

watching x-files, lollin at the killer AI episode in season 1.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the william gibson killer ai episode is in season 4 and is literally ten times better

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

raruler posted:

Is the Virga series worth reading?

I've enjoyed them.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

god damned fire upon the deep is good. about a third through a really enjoying it

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

hi

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

season 4. episode 2.

viewer discretion is advised.

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

fluke man

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

mr_jim posted:

watching x-files, lollin at the killer AI episode in season 1.

its so loving bad lmao... and holy christ the end where they zoom in on the computer ahhahahhaha good lord

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
watching x-files with no lights on, we're dans la maison, hope the smoking man's in this one

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i think you took a wrong turn at the year 2000 thread

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

the william gibson killer ai episode is in season 4 and is literally ten times better

it pwns

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

TNG_S8: Picard must debate a sentient mountain to distract it while he and Riker climb to safety. Geordi’s new girlfriend despises Data.

i would unironically watch and enjoy the poo poo out of this episode

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
Dr Pulaski is back to evaluate Dr Crusher's fitness to practice medicine. Meanwhile, Beverly swoons for a ghost trapped in a loaf of bread.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
Picard faces rogue Vulcans who are destroying planets that pose any minor threat. A transporter error turns Barclay into a mattress.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
A terraforming experiment releases a rapid-growth space plant that disables the ship. Riker turns down a record five promotions in one day.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Troi's popularity with a hive-mind species ignites a planetary battle for her attention. O'Brien starts smoking.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

Transporter malfunction sends Barclay to Voyager in a cross-over episode. Voyager crew sacrifices 5 year shortcut to send him back.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i love how boring the b story is

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
Picard is captured by a race of sentient noodles. Data learns about cricket.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Luigi Thirty posted:

i wanna see john carpenter's thing :pervert:

the novella was better

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

the novella was better

nope

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

"the novella is better" is a thing people say about the thing to look smart when the novella was the most annoying thing to try and read through as the characters wax philosophical and speak in the most awkward ways possible

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I'm torn between the novella and the movie for The Mist. I like both despite them being quite different.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

NINbuntu 64 posted:

"the novella is better" is a thing people say about the thing to look smart when the novella was the most annoying thing to try and read through as the characters wax philosophical and speak in the most awkward ways possible

the novella was set in the 30s, some of the characters were scientists instead of just guys hanging out in antarctica, and they killed the things with a shovel wired to the generator instead of flamethrowers (why the hell do they have so many flamethrowers?)

not to mention that the Thing doesn't just spend five minutes extruding tentacles everywhere and spraying nasty poo poo on the dogs and walls; they dig it up, thaw it out, and it escapes and the dogs attack it and eat bits of it and then they kill it but it's the dogs.

basically what I'm saying is that I would've enjoyed a more faithful adaptation more but everyone has their own opinions :)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

basically what I'm saying is that I would've enjoyed a more faithful adaptation more but everyone has their own opinions :)

and yours are worng

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

yes

sticky wizard posted:

fluke man

hell yess

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

hell yess

besides this scene the best part of the episode is where they decide they should put him in jail and give him a trial, wouldve been the greatest episode ever if instead of it escaping they actually brought him to court to be charged

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
speaking of the novella, I thought the movie version of Johnny Mnemonic did a really excellent job of expanding the concept of the short story into something that could carry an entire movie

too bad that movie kinda sucked

also Christian Bale loving owns, go watch the Machinist

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
in book news I'm reading the third book in Madeline D'engle's time quartet and wonder how the gently caress anyone could call these things sci-fi

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LooseChanj posted:

in book news I'm reading the third book in Madeline D'engle's time quartet and wonder how the gently caress anyone could call these things sci-fi

i had to read the first one in 3rd grade and it was a horrible piece of poo poo

toby
Dec 4, 2002

NINbuntu 64 posted:

the most annoying thing to try and read through as the characters wax philosophical and speak in the most awkward ways possible

neal stephenson

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

We had a class discussion about Tunnel in the Sky at some point in my elementary school period, helpful information on who never to go camping with.

I don't think there's been much recently in the survivalist sci-fi stuff, well, besides the hordes of zombie books.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

the novella was set in the 30s, some of the characters were scientists instead of just guys hanging out in antarctica, and they killed the things with a shovel wired to the generator instead of flamethrowers (why the hell do they have so many flamethrowers?)

not to mention that the Thing doesn't just spend five minutes extruding tentacles everywhere and spraying nasty poo poo on the dogs and walls; they dig it up, thaw it out, and it escapes and the dogs attack it and eat bits of it and then they kill it but it's the dogs.

then watch the thing from another world because thats the closest youre getting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

NINbuntu 64 posted:

then watch the thing from another world because thats the closest youre getting

no :mad:

• Locked thread