Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

IRQ posted:

Ironically, River Song already sounds like a pony name.

Please don't give them ideas, we don't need another good thing to suffer the same fate as the good doctor, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

IRQ posted:

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the fans are starting to nit pick flaws that were always present and are expecting way more nuance and effort to be put into what is, at the end of the day, a half hour toy commercial for magical candy colored ponies.

I didn't have a problem with this week's episode. It wasn't great, but they can't all be winners. The complaints around the internet though, wow. It's just really clear how many people got caught up in a meme and hyped the show up so much for themselves that it could never measure up (or never would have in the first place), and are starting to notice that it's not as good as they told themselves it was.

I don't know, looking back on the other episodes this one didn't measure up really. Felt more like a generic kid's show than before. Its the only episode I really thought was bad.

:ranbowdash:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 28, 2011

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

I thought it was a nice mystery for the younger crowd. I already thought the "multiple identities" hypotesis when they mentioned that Mare Do-Well could "foresee the future", but I went through an archive binge recently and I still remember that freshly.
I personally enjoyed the Batman references, and I'm waiting for a friend of mine to see the Darkwing Duck hat. It's not as good as the pet one, but I like jerks-being-put-into-place stories. :downsgun:

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Yeah, anytime it occurs to me that the plot or writing is going in a direction that seems bland or nonsensical I remember that compared to every other cartoon for 4-9 year old girls out there it's still pretty rad.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So I watched some Cartoon Network original movie over the weekend, it was either called 'Level Up' or 'Master of All Dimensions' or 'Level Up: Master of All Dimensions' or 'Bad Guys Name: Master of All Dimensions.' Hard to tell.

Anyway, it was pretty good! However, in the process of watching it, I discovered the difference between CN live-action and Disney live-action and Nick live-action

CN gets the blandest looking actors possible and puts them in interesting roles, which leads to an overall bland performance. Disney gets people who look interesting and puts them into bland shows, which leads to bland entertainment. Nick splits the difference and ends up with all the Schneider's Bakery shows (iCarly, Victorious, Zoey 101, All That, Kenan and Kel, etc etc etc)

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Mad Surge posted:

It's not as good as the pet one, but I like jerks-being-put-into-place stories. :downsgun:

I think the main problem people have with it is that the moral doesn't translate well to real life. If a six year old girl tries to teach humility to her friends by humiliating them, there's going to be a lot of crying six year olds and lost friends.

Sockser posted:

So I watched some Cartoon Network original movie over the weekend, it was either called 'Level Up' or 'Master of All Dimensions' or 'Level Up: Master of All Dimensions' or 'Bad Guys Name: Master of All Dimensions.' Hard to tell.

Anyway, it was pretty good! However, in the process of watching it, I discovered the difference between CN live-action and Disney live-action and Nick live-action

I caught that too actually, and I enjoyed it a lot. Other then the obvious issues of having the idea that you can't be popular and play nerdy videogames at the same time. I mean NFL guys play WOW. If I remember right, one of them got a tattoo of his dragon mount or something. I rather enjoyed when a few of them ended up in the game, and they didn't go the route of poor green screening, but rather made low poly videogame models for the actors.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So they discovered a previously lost Oswald cartoon. Can barely wait the decade or so its going to take for them to get around to restoring it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So there was a Pete and Pete cast and crew reunion.

:3:

quote:

The staff handed out "performance-enhanced" Orange Lazaruses (a brain-freeze inducing slushy orange drink) to the crowd. They even had a temporary tattoo artist on hand to dish out versions of Little Pete's mysterious tattoo "Petunia".

This is the best.

They have videos of the whole thing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY_3uxzkoV4

Bring out the third season on DVD already. :argh:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Oh hey Ren and Stimpy I can only barely remember that cartoon lets see-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR6KjNmN2BA&feature=related

:stare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXE2cBd-JwE

:stonk:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

wyoming posted:

So there was a Pete and Pete cast and crew reunion.

:3:

This is the best.

They have videos of the whole thing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY_3uxzkoV4

Bring out the third season on DVD already. :argh:

Holy crap, Little Pete looks exactly the same, only with a pubestache and girl hair now.

RebelWorm
Mar 23, 2011

I'm a tough guy
So... What's the general opinion on NFL Rush Zone: Guardians of the Core?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

RebelWorm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDMrncAy4U

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RebelWorm posted:

Looked this up on youtube.

What. The hell. :psyduck:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Out of curiosity, is the Redskins' guardian really a stereotypical Native American? How was that handled?

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Update on that whole "Nickelodeon's ratings are dropping and they think it's Nielsen's fault" thing: both Neilsen and the competition think Nick's crazy and they have to give away free ad time because of the ratings decline.

ETA: Also, they apparently believe the way to combat this is doing what Cartoon Network did, only with a kid on helium instead of an orange.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 2, 2011

Cmon Yo!
Oct 26, 2010

by Ozmaugh

mobo85 posted:

Update on that whole "Nickelodeon's ratings are dropping and they think it's Nielsen's fault" thing: both Neilsen and the competition think Nick's crazy and they have to give away free ad time because of the ratings decline.

ETA: Also, they apparently believe the way to combat this is doing what Cartoon Network did, only with a kid on helium instead of an orange.

If some Network bribed Nielsen it could earn them MILLIONS...

I really can't believe Rules Of Engagement is almost as huge a hit as The Office otherwise

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

mobo85 posted:

Hey Nick! I have an idea! Bring back Invader Zim your twits!

It's not like they're not already playing it all the time. You may as well get some fresh money out of the rather large fanbase you've been avoiding.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

readingatwork posted:

It's not like they're not already playing it all the time. You may as well get some fresh money out of the rather large fanbase you've been avoiding.
They could always look back to their older days and get Saban or someone to translate Wakfu before that Avatar sequel is supposed to start.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So they posted the preview for the Christmas episode for MLP:

In “Hearth’s Warming Eve” the six friends are honored to put on Canterlot's most important play of the season, the Hearth's Warming Eve's holiday pageant that illustrates how Unicorns, Pegasi and Earth Ponies put aside their differences and founded Equestria.

So essentialy it's pretty much how Celestia rose to power. That's if they're sticking with the creation story from episode 1.

Also NFL Rush Zone is the most awful thing assembled. Pro-Stars somehow winds up being better than that and that was made decades ago. I mean essentialy the entire goal of the Badguys is to turn the NFL into the XFL. And then you ask yourself would we be better off?

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 4, 2011

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

readingatwork posted:

When the guy behind the show says that he's done and the show is played out it might just be time to move on.

Besides, the show has been cancelled so long that if it started up again the writers would all be people who grew up watching the show. It would be Fat Hot Topic Chick Singing The Doom Song: The Animated Series

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

readingatwork posted:

It'll never come back. Johnen Whosits essentially said he was done with it and moved on. Which sucks since the show seemed to end during a time when it was becoming a more story driven show with Tak and everything. It's a shame the show died so early, but on the other hand it seemed like he wasn't willing to really work with Nickelodeon when it came to censoring his stuff.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Nickelodeon shouldn't have passed on Adventure Time. I mean, I'm glad they did because they would have just killed it but I'm sure whoever made that decision is kicking themselves.

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I checked out Secret Mountain Fort Awesome with a friend after Ian J mentioned working on it and recommended it on his Tumblr (and earlier on in this thread) because I really like his work and we actually found it pretty fun.

The intensely loathsome, super-bitter internet reaction to this show is honestly pretty sad; people just stopped having fun with cartoons and don't want to admit it. The art style is great and the dialogue is stupid in a really fun way, and it also has some really great facial expressions.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Raymondo Person posted:

I checked out Secret Mountain Fort Awesome with a friend after Ian J mentioned working on it and recommended it on his Tumblr (and earlier on in this thread) because I really like his work and we actually found it pretty fun.

The intensely loathsome, super-bitter internet reaction to this show is honestly pretty sad; people just stopped having fun with cartoons and don't want to admit it. The art style is great and the dialogue is stupid in a really fun way, and it also has some really great facial expressions.

I've only seen one episode so far, and while I didn't like it nearly as much as "Uncle Grandpa," I thought it was still fun. It's the sort of gleefully stupid show you'd expect to be made by actually bright and creative people.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I like the art style, but the episode I saw didn't speak much of it. Neither did having a mosnter made of butts. If it ever makes jokes beyond "monsters being dumbs","farts","farts","farts", "farts", and "more farts", I might be interested. The writers could take some lessons from the Flapjack crew on how to make a cartoon that's stylish, gross at times, but also massively fun and memorable.

Then again, humor cartoons don't hold my interest, except possibly Adventure Time for whatever reason.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly if a person made of butts isn't enough to win it internet respect, nothing will.

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I like the art style, but the episode I saw didn't speak much of it. Neither did having a mosnter made of butts. If it ever makes jokes beyond "monsters being dumbs","farts","farts","farts", "farts", and "more farts", I might be interested. The writers could take some lessons from the Flapjack crew on how to make a cartoon that's stylish, gross at times, but also massively fun and memorable.

Then again, humor cartoons don't hold my interest, except possibly Adventure Time for whatever reason.
There's always fart noise when The Fart is around because, well, he's The Fart. But they're not really jokes as much as they are sound effects - it just becomes a normal part of his character and they never treat the farts themselves as jokes. It's just a way to enforce how immature and childish the general attitude of the show is. The episodes have plenty of actual humor - stupid goofy pubertal humor that I guess might feel like "random monkey cheese poo poo" to a more bitter SA goon... but I guess not really because it's genuinely surreal and not "stock random".

"Monster Cops" for instance is hilarious and visually creative as hell:

"Attention student bros, by order of us cops school's out FOREVER!"

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly if a person made of butts isn't enough to win it internet respect, nothing will.
The show is like the most Internet thing ever. "reaction faces" every second, everyone says "bro", internet piracy jokes... it's like so Internet-friendly it went full circle and became Internet kryptonite.

That or people just like to get mad at cartoons.

Edit: "Secret Mountain Fort Love" is a great episode and by far the best in terms of visuals from the ones I've seen so far. Start with that one.

Raymondo Person fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 5, 2011

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Raymondo Person posted:

The show is like the most Internet thing ever. "reaction faces" every second, everyone says "bro", internet piracy jokes... it's like so Internet-friendly it went full circle and became Internet kryptonite.
You mean if you take things that people either seek out or at least stomach in small doses on the internet and you make an entire show/short filled to the brim with them, it ends up completely awful? Well I never.

See also the Thundercats LOL from MAD.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Secret Mountain Fort Awesome is OK, but it's not a show that you can watch a lot of in one sitting. It's very frantically paced and appeals to the short attention span crowd. It's better than Johnny Test, but I'll put it safely below a lot of Cartoon Network's other fare.

Farecoal posted:

Oh hey Ren and Stimpy I can only barely remember that cartoon lets see-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR6KjNmN2BA&feature=related

:stare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXE2cBd-JwE

:stonk:
People talk about how much crap Rocko's Modern Life got away with, but Ren and Stimpy did a lot more. I liked the first couple seasons of R&S when it managed to balance out the grossness and disturbing content with charm, but after that it went overboard.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

SMFA is better than MAD by far, a notch below Problem Solverz, a leagues below AT/RS

ANYWHOOOOOOO I checked out the new Green Lantern show and it was... okay. I really don't like how the Red Lanterns are kinda advertised as being the big bad in this show when it would honestly make a lot more loving sense to start with the Sinestro Corps but here we are. And the Red Lanterns are written kinda stupid.

Guess I'll take my talk to the BSS thread, though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

SMFA is better than MAD by far, a notch below Problem Solverz, a leagues below AT/RS

ANYWHOOOOOOO I checked out the new Green Lantern show and it was... okay. I really don't like how the Red Lanterns are kinda advertised as being the big bad in this show when it would honestly make a lot more loving sense to start with the Sinestro Corps but here we are. And the Red Lanterns are written kinda stupid.

Guess I'll take my talk to the BSS thread, though.

Anything is better than MAD. Well, okay, not Johnny Test, but still.

GL: TAS just disappoints me animation-wise. They said the final product would look better than the clips from Comic-Con that got put up on Youtube, but it still looks pretty rough. I mean, I'm not expecting some sort of amazing Pixar-level 3D, but still, the way it is now is pretty bad. Space is just too empty, which is fine in reality, but in comic-book-land, it should be full of aliens and spaceships and... you know, stuff.

Also, I don't think Bruce Timm's art style really lends itself to 3D. It's the same giant torso, tiny leg style from the old DCAU, but it just looks... off somehow when you put it into CGI.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TwoPair posted:

Also, I don't think Bruce Timm's art style really lends itself to 3D. It's the same giant torso, tiny leg style from the old DCAU, but it just looks... off somehow when you put it into CGI.

It looks off because they modeled it as is. To make effective 2D-esque stylings in 3D you need to model with a 3/4ths view instead of just having the typical front and side views when building a character. It has to be a sort of optical illusion to an extent. It has to look right from all angles which means the geometry has to also match it while also functioning with the rig udnerneith it, and making 2D-esque characters in 3D is rather challenging. But all in all It's really the same way they build anime characters in 3D Programs. The way you would contruct one of Timm's characters is really not all that different.

Also interesting but unrelated, apparently My Little Pony functions under the same rules as The Mushroom Kingdom where there is no king or queen just Princesses:

Behold a third Princess, different and secret than the two others before. Her name is Princess Cadence. Nothing is really known about her but this throws the wrench in with the established lore. Celestia Controlls the Sun, Luna controls the moon. And well there's nothing really for Cadence to control. You'd think it would be something musical going by her name but the sigil on her is just another variation of a sun.

They're actually making this into a Show Accurate Toy/TV Series promotion with her which Hasbro just started a few days ago. The character is using a recolored Season 1 Luna Model(Not the Season 2 version with the cosmic astral hair).

To further add to this, there's episodes based around a wedding. Which in the toy promotions feature all the characters in new fancy wedding party outfits.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 14, 2011

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Vaerai Archon posted:

Also interesting but unrelated, apparently My Little Pony functions under the same rules as The Mushroom Kingdom where there is no king or queen just Princesses

There totally is a Mushroom King. Bowser even prank calls him!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Zeeman posted:

I had that huge Mario book when I was a kid. I have NO IDEA what happened it :smith:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zeeman posted:

Several kings, even. Didn't you ever play Super Mario 3?

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raditts posted:

Several kings, even. Didn't you ever play Super Mario 3?

They havn't been present in the games in decades, absentee kings. :colbert:

They don't even have The King as a playable character in any of the upcoming Mario games even.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

TwoPair posted:

I must admit to a bit of a dislike of the CGI Clone Wars series for this reason. Genndy Tartakovsky's angular, heavily stylized designs were really striking and clever for his short traditionally animated miniseries, but they look strange in 3D. I find it distracting, honestly.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So, uh, whatever happened to Wakfu (the cartoon, MMO I think is in beta or something) coming out in the US? I heard 2 episodes were dubbed into English and screened at a convention a while ago, and nothing else came of it. It would suck if there's no plans as of yet because I keep hearing discussions about how good it is.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 15, 2011

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wakfu is very good, as far as I could tell the two episodes (poorly) dubbed were done by Ankama in hopes of getting an English language distributor, alas, none has appeared. You should just suck it up and watch the show with subtitles if you want to ever see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The dub wasn't good? I thought they had some well known voice actors in it or something. Oh well. Maybe if the MMO takes off it may convince someone to get it.