Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
That's just the side of her skirt though, I don't think it's photoshopped. If that's really it then I've just wasted like ten minutes staring at every section of the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hoops posted:

That's just the side of her skirt though, I don't think it's photoshopped. If that's really it then I've just wasted like ten minutes staring at every section of the picture.

Well I wouldn't call it a waste.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
I have all but given up trying to search for this so maybe you guys can help.

Saw a guy a few years ago at a Halloween concert wearing the most amazing costume I have ever seen.

It was an all black jumpsuit sort of thing, but there was completely random blue streaks of light flowing over the entire surface of the suit... almost like electricity.

I don't know if he made this thing or paid some unbelievable amount of money for it, but either way I want it. Anyone seen anything like this? He can't be the only guy in the world with one.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
I have no idea what happened, but it's fixed.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

randyest posted:

Seasoned cast iron is non-stick, holds heat better, and lasts forever. The older they get the more non-stick they are.

There's a reason you never see nonstick pans in a professional kitchen (at least not at a good restaurant):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-elRYXXkm4
Stainless steel works just as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyHJVfjwM-A
A little over-done for my taste, but you can see how easy it is to slide out even for an amateur:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHTBWK0u9A0
Even over a campfire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF5T3XpKLT0&feature=player_detailpage#t=337s
Doesn't even have to be a pan:
http://vimeo.com/6506743

Nonstick costs way more in the long run even if you ignore the uncertain, unproven, but worth thinking about health safety issues. And it becomes more sticky with use, the reverse of cast iron. If you absolutely must have some sort of "non-stick" surface, try anodized aluminum (not Teflon) like Calphalon. But cast iron and stainless steel are generally superior and last forever.

Trust me man. I cook a lot and have cast iron and a set of stainless but for omelettes you need nonstick. Even Jacques Pepin and Julia Child use nonstick for omelettes.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Randomity posted:

Yeah I thought about mentioning that in my post, but decided against it.
I can never get a good enough for eggs season on my cast iron, but I keep cooking bacon and hoping one day I can throw my one nonstick pan away.
Try linseed (flaxseed) oil. http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

ashgromnies posted:

Trust me man. I cook a lot and have cast iron and a set of stainless but for omelettes you need nonstick. Even Jacques Pepin and Julia Child use nonstick for omelettes.
if you prefer nonstick that's perfectly fine. But the awesome omelets I and my wife have been making 3 times a week for 10 years in cast iron would seem to indicate nonstick is not a "need."

Nermal. posted:

I have all but given up trying to search for this so maybe you guys can help.
Saw a guy a few years ago at a Halloween concert wearing the most amazing costume I have ever seen.
It was an all black jumpsuit sort of thing, but there was completely random blue streaks of light flowing over the entire surface of the suit... almost like electricity.
I don't know if he made this thing or paid some unbelievable amount of money for it, but either way I want it. Anyone seen anything like this? He can't be the only guy in the world with one.
Maybe something made with Philips LumaLive LED fabric? http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/application_areas/luminous-textile/index.wpd

edit: Pepin recommends pans with "non-stick properties":

quote:

*I use the term "non-stick properties" because while a non-stick pan is perfectly acceptable to use in this recipe, I prefer to use cast iron or carbon steel whenever it is available.

"Non-stick" != Teflon. Anodized aluminum is non-stick. Seasoned cast iron is non-stick. Stainless steel with a slight sheen of oil spray is non-stick. It's hard to see from his or Childs' videos if they're Teflon or just anodized aluminum.

randyest fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 29, 2011

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
What are some Spanish-language sites for the SomethingAwful demographic? I'd love a place for irreverent humor from Mexicans, webcomics in Spanish, music reviews, satire etc. RSS feeds are especially welcome. My Spanish is moving beyond the "conversational" point but I'm not sure where to start on a Google search - it's hard to search for cultural things, you know?

edit: yeah thanks helopticor, I realized after I posted that this wasn't the right thread. Also thanks Dawncloack I'll check it out

Mortley fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 29, 2011

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Mortley posted:

What are some Spanish-language sites for the SomethingAwful demographic?

I don't know, but I'd bet the people in the Spanish thread over in Science Academics and Languages might have an idea, if no one following this thread does.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I'm really having an awful time finding a big, nice quality picture of this Lynyrd Skynyrd album.

The album is self titled, but typing "Lynyrd Skynyrd by Lynyrd Skynyrd" comes up with a lot of things that are just stupid pictures either of the band or a skull and crossbones and redneck poo poo. I would like to either find a nice picture, as stated above, or even a website that's selling posters or shirts with this particular image on it.
Thanks in advance.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
Biggest I could find quickly on google, 600x600:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Which email protocol effectively syncs various clients with the web version, IMAP or POP? I think I set up Thunderbird wrong on my new computer...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

Which email protocol effectively syncs various clients with the web version, IMAP or POP? I think I set up Thunderbird wrong on my new computer...

IMAP

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
If I got a laptop with a solid state drive, would it last me a long time without deteriorating and then breaking down because there are no moving parts?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Why is the half-life of a drug considered relevant as opposed to the full amount of time it takes for a drug to leave your system?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

If I got a laptop with a solid state drive, would it last me a long time without deteriorating and then breaking down because there are no moving parts?

Not necessarily longer, but it would be vastly more resistant to physical shocks like being dropped.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

They're relatively new technology, but everything points to them being more reliable than rotating drives. I've seen a video of a guy throwing one off a 3rd floor balcony, plugging it in and it working fine. SSDs are also significantly faster in reads and writes. The only real disadvantages versus rotating drives are smaller capacities and higher cost per gigabyte. Flash memory also wears out, but any drive you can get now will have built in wear-leveling and should last long after it's obsolete (I've seen some reports saying decades of constant writes).

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Why is the half-life of a drug considered relevant as opposed to the full amount of time it takes for a drug to leave your system?

Because its not a linear function. Knowing the half-life is far more useful over the long run because then you can roughly estimate how much you have in your system after X amount of time.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If you have to return an item to Amazon because it was defective/broken, does the shipping get refunded as well if you ordered next day or two day shipping?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Yes, and they'll pay the return shipping, but they may try and replace it rather than refund it.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Other types of hard drives still fail as well. SSD's are pretty good now and will last longer than your laptop will probably be useful.

Also I believe they only fail on the write side. So you can still read stuff on the drive but not add new data.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Ok so I think I have the first zit since the 11th grade developing on my cheek. It doesn't look like anything yet but when I press the spot near my nose it's like there's a pebble in there and I can tell that badboy wants to surface. I am meeting with a few people that will determine my future this week so the last thing I need is a distracting blemish. Aside from ice what can I do to prevent a breakout? I put the old ice pack on there but it's too deep right now to be messed with by methods like that. What can I do? I'm 27 and I clean my face regularly.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Why are you using ice? Not that any old wives' tales work on zits, but cold isn't going to do anything. If anything you should be using a hot compress and tea tree oil.

Again though, there's nothing you can do.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Why are you using ice? Not that any old wives' tales work on zits, but cold isn't going to do anything. If anything you should be using a hot compress and tea tree oil.

Again though, there's nothing you can do.
Cold reduces swelling though. If you have some of the toothpaste thats all white and chalky, you can dab a bit on where the pimple is. Leave it over night and wash it off in the morning and it may help.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I'm starting to realize that most of the swelling is from me poking at it so I'm just going to leave it alone and hope that the situation resolves itself. If it comes to the surface of my skin I'll pick up some chalky toothpaste, I use Arm & Hammer gel right now but I wouldn't be against picking up some "chalky" stuff at the corner store if need be. I'm gonna sleep on it and see what's up in the morning. I think it will go down if I leave it alone for a few hours.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Baking soda mixed with a bit of water would work too

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
I have a new sweater that I really like and don't want to ruin. So, I want to wash it correctly. The tag says Hand wash cold, only non-chlorine bleach when needed, dry flat, cool iron, or dry clean. I have two settings for wool on my washing machine: "woollen (cold)" and "woollen 40 degrees". Is this okay or should I really just hand wash it?

Also, would the same be okay for other wool materials that don't have labels. I don't live in the USA and a lot of these wool products don't have a label for how to clean. It's camel wool if that helps.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Rubies posted:

I'm starting to realize that most of the swelling is from me poking at it so I'm just going to leave it alone and hope that the situation resolves itself. If it comes to the surface of my skin I'll pick up some chalky toothpaste, I use Arm & Hammer gel right now but I wouldn't be against picking up some "chalky" stuff at the corner store if need be. I'm gonna sleep on it and see what's up in the morning. I think it will go down if I leave it alone for a few hours.

I've also heard that a baby asprin crushed up and made into a paste with water works as a spot treatment, but I've never tried it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have this hat:

It's warm, comfortable, and a great hat. It's also ancient, has no identifying marks (my dad tears tags out of things he wears) and is falling apart.

I want to obtain a new one, and I remember seeing one at a department store years and years ago, but I can't find one even slightly similar these days. Anyone have any leads?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Rubies posted:

Go out and get a concealer stick. Yes, I know make up isn't for guys, but a small dab will hide it completely in the case of an emergency. I've used it many times in situations similar to yours and it can be a life saver after you wake up and realize you've got a giant red crater on your face.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Mortley posted:

What are some Spanish-language sites for the SomethingAwful demographic? I'd love a place for irreverent humor from Mexicans, webcomics in Spanish, music reviews, satire etc. RSS feeds are especially welcome. My Spanish is moving beyond the "conversational" point but I'm not sure where to start on a Google search - it's hard to search for cultural things, you know?

I'd suggest Taringa. It's the closest thing the Spanish speaking world has to Somethingawful.

Also:

I once found this website that allowed you to check a particular route for a particular airline and know how often it was punctual, how often cancelled and stuff.

I can't seem to find it now. Any help?
-------------------------
Also, another weird one:

How can I find credit unions in Bulgaria, that are open to individuals just wishing to get banking services (and involved) ?

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 29, 2011

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
double post. Sorry.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 29, 2011

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nighthand posted:

I have this hat:

It's warm, comfortable, and a great hat. It's also ancient, has no identifying marks (my dad tears tags out of things he wears) and is falling apart.

I want to obtain a new one, and I remember seeing one at a department store years and years ago, but I can't find one even slightly similar these days. Anyone have any leads?

I see these at army surplus stores like California Surplus Mart and Supply Sergeant, both in Hollywood, CA.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Anybody who knows anything about ebay:

Is it against the rules to set up an auction with rules like "If this item's bids reach $10, I'll throw in a free ___, if it reaches $15, I'll also throw in a free ___" allowed? Or would that be seen as a trick or too shady?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
A friend got in contact with me today with one of those daily offer things for a company which offers online training courses. One's for training in Sage Line 50, which would be a hell of an advantage for me if I try to get into the financial sector for work (Which I am trying to do) but I'm a bit worried about the cost vs the benefit.

It seems like a stupid question typing it out now, but would an online course for this be worth the money/time or should I look into a nightschool lesson or such?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

My mom used to make these gingerbread houses, and in the "lawn" of the house she'd use these suckers that were shaped kind of like a lance or a cone for "trees."

Does anyone know what they were called? I'm hoping to find them on Amazon or something.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Like this kind of thing?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I remember those cones with rainbow layers. Whatever they're called, they ARE NOT called rocket suckers.

ommega
Oct 21, 2010
So I might pop this question in Creative Convention, but thought I'd ask here first. I'm applying to several freelance jobs and I constantly see employer asking to send rate along with resume and such. Is it bad to just say 'my rate is negotiable'?

I'm worried they might think I can't read directions if I don't give them a solid number, but at the same time I feel like I'm screwed if I say a rate that's too high or get screwed saying a rate that's lower than they were willing to pay as well.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
Astro Pops?

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/astro-pop.htm

Edit: They put them on the stick both ways, so here's the version you were probably thinking of:

Diseased Dick Guy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ommega posted:

So I might pop this question in Creative Convention, but thought I'd ask here first. I'm applying to several freelance jobs and I constantly see employer asking to send rate along with resume and such. Is it bad to just say 'my rate is negotiable'?

I'm worried they might think I can't read directions if I don't give them a solid number, but at the same time I feel like I'm screwed if I say a rate that's too high or get screwed saying a rate that's lower than they were willing to pay as well.
Give them a range?