Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Every time I've tried to get on this game, for the last 6 months, it's told me that I "can't connect to Minecraft.net". Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but I haven't been able to download any updates since I was able to connect last. I've looked on several other websites for answers, and I seem to come across "it forgot your password, change it", "wait for the servers to stop being so busy" and "reinstall" most, all of which I've already done. I'm really, really sorry if this has been asked a dozen times, but at this point I really have nowhere else to turn. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Every time I've tried to get on this game, for the last 6 months, it's told me that I "can't connect to Minecraft.net". Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but I haven't been able to download any updates since I was able to connect last. I've looked on several other websites for answers, and I seem to come across "it forgot your password, change it", "wait for the servers to stop being so busy" and "reinstall" most, all of which I've already done. I'm really, really sorry if this has been asked a dozen times, but at this point I really have nowhere else to turn. :(

Try playing it through the browser. That version is actually the same version on your pc, and if there's some sort of network issue preventing the Minecraft program from accessing minecraft.net, it should still let your browser connect. (EDIT: Which will then let it update just fine.)

At my work, I can connect to minecraft.net no problem if I'm going through the browser. The standalone program never connects due to our firewall; any program that's set to use a port always fails, yet browsers are pretty much free game. Maybe that's how you have your stuff set up?

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.
The thing I did to make combat more interesting was just build turrets outside my base with snowmen in them. I go out at night and there's just a conga line of zombies walking off a cliff.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

When you die, your items lose their enchantments. If you want to clean an enchanted sword, just jump from a ledge near your spawn point, and collect the vanilla sword from your corpse or death chest.
Died twice now and I got to pick up my enchanted stuff each time.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Can you still bat Ghast fireballs with your sword? If so what happens when you hit one with knockback 2?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Luminaflare posted:

Can you still bat Ghast fireballs with your sword? If so what happens when you hit one with knockback 2?

You can still hit them back, but not sure if it does anything with knockback. However, fireballs instantly kill ghasts now.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

PalmTreeFun posted:

You can still hit them back, but not sure if it does anything with knockback. However, fireballs instantly kill ghasts now.

A direct unblocked hit with no armor will also instantly kill you. Not sure if it was that way before, but it's now equivalent to having a creeper go off in your face.

⇩ ⇩ Beats the hell out of me, but I could see all the armor you have getting whittled down if you're there long enough. ⇩ ⇩

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 29, 2011

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Why would you go to the nether without armor?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A pick with efficiency is INSANE on netherrack. Like uncontrollably fast. I have to pack a blank iron pick if I want to be able to only mine one block per click.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

glitchwraith posted:

Depends on what you're doing. If you're doing delicate work over a lake of lava, you might not want to risk a suit of armor on top of everything else.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

glitchwraith posted:

I do it all the time. Live dangerously. :smug:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Don't talk poo poo until you've killed the dragon without armor and using only your mighty fist.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Death Himself posted:

Don't talk poo poo until you've killed the dragon without armor and using only your mighty fist.

Whoa for a second I thought this was the Skyrim-yist pictures and stories thread

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Schwarzwald posted:

Blocking also reduces fall damage significantly; you can survive a 30 block fall if you're blocking when you land.

I have just tested this extensively so unless I am missing something you are wrong about this.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah, you aren't missing anything. Blocking doesn't affect fall damage.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
Gotta love the minecraft wiki.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Blocking posted:

Blocking allows for the slowest movements possible in Minecraft. This can occur when the player blocks, sneaks, and moves backward while under the effect of the slowness potion while going through cobwebs placed on top of Soul Sand that is placed on top of ice. This causes the player to move at about 1/32 blocks a second,(needs recalculation after new additions) or 1/2 pixel a second on a default 16x16 texture pack. Blocking while sneaking and with the additional events (but without slowness potion) allows lets the player go at roughly 2.38549618320 x 10-2 blocks per second.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Who the gently caress even cares. Seriously. :psyduck:

"If there are a ton of things making you slow you become super slow (needs recalculation)."

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

All that effort and it's not even accurate, unless they're implying that the slowness potion actually speeds you up in that circumstance. Also, boats passing through spiderwebs will easily get you going really slowly without you having to hold a bunch of keys or look in a direction opposite of where you're going.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Willie Trombone posted:

All that effort and it's not even accurate, unless they're implying that the slowness potion actually speeds you up in that circumstance. Also, boats passing through spiderwebs will easily get you going really slowly without you having to hold a bunch of keys or look in a direction opposite of where you're going.

I think a bigger question is, WHY DOES THIS MATTER!?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Senator Woofington posted:

Having to put numbers to everything and rank everything and find out stupid stuff like the slowest possible movement is a very aspie thing to do.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

It doesn't, at all, I'm just saying that even if it did it's a lot of effort to put into something to come out with a wrong result.

Unrelatedly, the boats going through spider webs thing is at least kinda useful as a gag punishment in a trap or on an adventure map, especially if you have the spider web surrounded by walls and a pool of lava beneath.

Frogmarched
Jul 11, 2011
The Wiki is bloated in alot of places, I feel sorry for the young kids who would get lost in a sea of spreadsheets and algebraic formula even searching the basics.

Would help if minecraft had a few tutorials, instead of a (SHOCK HORROR) unfinished, abandoned achievement system.

EDIT: Forgot about the new ones, still does jack poo poo in guiding the player like it was supposed to do.

Frogmarched fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 29, 2011

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Willie Trombone posted:

It doesn't, at all, I'm just saying that even if it did it's a lot of effort to put into something to come out with a wrong result.

Unrelatedly, the boats going through spider webs thing is at least kinda useful as a gag punishment in a trap or on an adventure map, especially if you have the spider web surrounded by walls and a pool of lava beneath.

hi im willie

willie tromboooone

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
So, anybody ever have a Nether portal that wouldn't light? Because I do, and I really can't figure out what could be wrong with it. I even went and grabbed 4 more buckets of lava to make the corners, and still nothing. Is it because I'm at lava level? That never seemed to matter before. What gives?

E: how the gently caress did I miss that. :saddowns:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 29, 2011

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Your portal is too tall

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

In my experience, portals built below ground have Nether exits that are in tiny little caves deep below gigantic pools of lava.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

In my experience, portals built below ground have Nether exits that are in tiny little caves deep below gigantic pools of lava.

I had one of those once, and my portal was on surface level. Getting up to proper Nether height was a nervous act (I didn't hit lava, fortunately).

Nether Portals: They only make sense if you think like Notch.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

:wooper: PAINTERLY PACK UPDATE :wooper:

Apologies on the delays, as those who have followed me in the stream know, real life has been kicking my rear end lately. However, possible awesome news around the corner, so hey, keep your eyes peeled for something neato from my corner. On that note, KakerMix - if you read this, please email me at rhodox@painterlypack.net. It's important!

A medium-sized update this time, mostly adding the last of the odds and ends to finish off 1.0 compatibility. The pack is now 'complete' as far as at least having options for stuff you can customize, until Notch adds more crap or I think of more things I want to add. This time around:

- Fixed some ongoing minor GUI issues.
- 6 Ender Dragon textures - Ender, Cosmic, Black, Red, Green and Blue.
- 7 Ender Dragon egg options.
- 26 Ender Crystal options - Rune Crystal and Lament Configuration options for all 13 styles of bedrock.
- 4 Ender sky options.
- 8 Ender crystal beam options, for the dragon healing particle beam.
- 11 variations on the boss health bar.

Here's some screenshots and examples to give you an idea of what to expect:

Get it at the usual place, and as always with a new Painterly update, make sure you clear your cache, refresh the page, etc. etc.

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
While the Nether portal thing is pretty annoying in terms of having to write things down, I'll recommend this site if you're interested in doing a Nether transit system. Don't even worry too much about the text, just use the first (Overworld->Nether) calculator because you are going to make mistakes if you do it manually. I don't care if it's just dividing by 8, trust me on this.

Our private server has been using Nether transit since 1.9pre1, and we actually really enjoy it now that we understand the system a bit. Workflow is like this (assuming someone's already created at least one portal):

- Person creates a portal in the Overworld wherever they want. Generally, near their personal base or what-have-you. Rule of thumb, keep it at least a hundred blocks away from other Overworld portals, for safety's sake.
- Write down the coords of the portal, plug it into the site, get Nether coords. This sounds super involved, but we're talking 60 seconds here, it's not so terrible.
- Activate the portal and go through. Because the system right now is so totally screwed, you'll very likely get pulled into the nearest existing portal in the Nether, unless you're several thousand meters away. However, this works to your advantage, because it places you as close as it can to where you need to do the next step.
- Build a portal at the coords given by the site, activate it, go through, and you should be at the portal from step 1. Because portals don't really "link" and just look for the closest active one, the next time you use it, you'll go to the portal you just created. And because you had to mine/bridge from the nearest portal to get to this one, you automatically create a system of clearly connected portals for your map.

Maybe we've just been lucky, but we've been restarting maps often for the prereleases and have gotten as many as a dozen or so portals going with no issues. The key is that thing that portals aren't "linked" in any real way, that I know of. It's all "What's closest?" and you can game it fine if you build the portals in both the Overworld and corresponding Nether location, because no other portal could mathematically be closer than the one you made. Generally. There's still a little oddness with the first portal seeking out a clear area, but we've been lucky in that regard.

Also, I had no idea blocking actually did anything yet. Reduce half the damage from an explosion? I feel like that might be pretty important for last-ditch creeper survivability. Also, the Sword page of the Minecraft wiki says blocking while sprinting knocks things back further than hitting them... I'll have to check that out. Only tested against passive mobs, but sprint-blocking does as little as one would assume.

MrDude fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 29, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Getting my first painterly since 1.7ish---I figured I'd wait for the updates to slow down before grabbing it again. Good lord, those zombie meat options are...disturbing.

(I usually play with the least gory options----yeti and non-bloody pigmen and such. Vanilla MC's "rotting flesh" just looked like jerky to me.)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Check if your firewall for some reason has decided to block minecraft.exe.

secondly, go to minecraft.net and download the minecraft.exe again and delete the one you have, i think they did some rejiggering of it.

thirdly, if this doesn't work, get someone to have a look at your .hosts file and network in general.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yep, I spawned a portal in the Nether about 5 blocks above bedrock. The new "lava drips through blocks directly under lava" mechanic made tunneling up and out only mildly terrifying as opposed to "gently caress no not doing that" like it would have been before.

kas posted:

PAINTERLY PACK UPDATE

- 11 variations on the boss health bar.

Huh. Definitely don't remember editing that one. Where are those files located if you don't mind, I feel like I've missed something in my pack now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dylan-D posted:

hi im willie

willie tromboooone

gently caress, just that alone makes me want to try and redo the Neverhood in Minecraft.

That'd make for one hell of a goon server.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Boat posted:

Huh. Definitely don't remember editing that one. Where are those files located if you don't mind, I feel like I've missed something in my pack now.

In the GUI section.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

So how do you get out from it quickly? You can't really fill up the lava pool from below. You could always slowly tunnel around it but those giant lava pools are huge.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

messagemode1 posted:

So how do you get out from it quickly? You can't really fill up the lava pool from below. You could always slowly tunnel around it but those giant lava pools are huge.

I just started stair-stepping upwards, following any natural caves I hit. When the ceiling started dripping lava, I headed straight. Drips stop, up again. Repeat until you break out.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 29, 2011

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Boat posted:

I just started stair-stepping upwards, following any natural caves I hit. When the ceiling started dripping lava, I headed straight. Drips stop, up again. Repeat until you break out.

This is exactly the reason I really loved the new dripping mechanic. I do the same thing all the time in the nether.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks for the help with gathering pigs, I just needed more patience :) now I need to find sheep and cows!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

This is exactly the reason I really loved the new dripping mechanic. I do the same thing all the time in the nether.

It'd be nice if we also got the drips on the side if you're about to dig into the side of a lava pool/water pool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Install Gentoo posted:

It'd be nice if we also got the drips on the side if you're about to dig into the side of a lava pool/water pool

True. This is why you should still always have dirt or stone on the ready right next to your pick in your quickbar.

Also gently caress zombie pigmen, I don't remember them hitting for so god drat much before.