Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Codiusprime posted:

I was slightly irritated myself, that's a good point though, thanks! I bought DeskSMS to use primarily at work, where there is no wifi.

My problem is that I have WiFi at work but it's divorced from the network the desktops are on. I'll definitely use the poo poo out of AirDroid at home though. I've been meaning to do some SD cleaning but put it off due to losing my damned USB cable and too cheap to buy another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I can't get the messages/SMS portion of airdroid on my browser to work correctly. I can see my conversations, but some of the timestamps are wrong and when I click on a conversation it "Opens" up to the taskbar on the bottom and I can't see it. Clicking on it does nothing.

I don't know if the airdroid website won't play nice with Chrome, or if my phone (Droid 3) motoblur poo poo fucks it up or whatever. Seems pretty sweet though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

it should be noted that AirDroid requires the phone and PC to be on the same network.

If they ever manage to get around that limitation...I dunno what I'll do. Do circles while waving my hands over my head, screaming happy thoughts? Something like that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My problem is that I have WiFi at work but it's divorced from the network the desktops are on. I'll definitely use the poo poo out of AirDroid at home though. I've been meaning to do some SD cleaning but put it off due to losing my damned USB cable and too cheap to buy another one.
Next time you get something from Amazon just throw five or so on your order. They're like a $1 each on there but it's not worth just ordering the cables.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Next time you get something from Amazon just throw five or so on your order. They're like a $1 each on there but it's not worth just ordering the cables.

Never thought of that. Put it on Astrid to remind myself. :v:

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

LastInLine posted:

That or get Amazon prime and get 2-day free shipping on even cheap trivial poo poo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

scarymonkey posted:

That or get Amazon prime and get 2-day free shipping on even cheap trivial poo poo.
The cheapest ones are usually available through stores that sell on Amazon, not Amazon itself. Does Prime's free shipping apply to those too? (I live like a quarter mile from an Amazon distribution center so I get things the day after I order anyway even on Super Saver shipping so I never looked into the details of Prime.)

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

LastInLine posted:

The cheapest ones are usually available through stores that sell on Amazon, not Amazon itself. Does Prime's free shipping apply to those too? (I live like a quarter mile from an Amazon distribution center so I get things the day after I order anyway even on Super Saver shipping so I never looked into the details of Prime.)

Stores that sell through Amazon usually don't qualify for prime, but then those stores also don't qualify for super saving shipping for orders $25 and over. Some stores have their own free shipping like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-DC-M400-Wildfire-Supersonic-Incredible/dp/B004T0GHOU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1322535252&sr=8-8

I live in California and when it comes to cables (HDMI, USB, Network) I usually buy from Monoprice which has dirt low prices and $5 one day shipping in California.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007
On the subject of AirDroid and connecting through WiFi, does anyone know of a good USB access point that works on Windows 7 64-bit? On my old XP machine, I'd hacked my Nintendo WiFi USB thing to work with ASUS SoftAP and had great success in connecting to that with my phone and saving a LOT of battery. Ever since I built a new computer with Windows 7, I haven't found a working solution.

I'm sure most people just connect to their router but I'm posting this on the off-chance that someone might know of a trusted device. I'd love to make use of the stuff AirDroid can do.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

AlexMoron posted:

On the subject of AirDroid and connecting through WiFi, does anyone know of a good USB access point that works on Windows 7 64-bit? On my old XP machine, I'd hacked my Nintendo WiFi USB thing to work with ASUS SoftAP and had great success in connecting to that with my phone and saving a LOT of battery. Ever since I built a new computer with Windows 7, I haven't found a working solution.

I'm sure most people just connect to their router but I'm posting this on the off-chance that someone might know of a trusted device. I'd love to make use of the stuff AirDroid can do.

Why not just get a router with WiFi? Seems like a much more stable and easy to use solution. Routers can be had for dirt cheap.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

scarymonkey posted:

Stores that sell through Amazon usually don't qualify for prime, but then those stores also don't qualify for super saving shipping for orders $25 and over. Some stores have their own free shipping like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-DC-M400-Wildfire-Supersonic-Incredible/dp/B004T0GHOU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1322535252&sr=8-8

I live in California and when it comes to cables (HDMI, USB, Network) I usually buy from Monoprice which has dirt low prices and $5 one day shipping in California.
Monoprice is great for that kind of stuff, but prime does work on stores that use amazon as their warehouse ("sold by x, shipped by amazon") stuff.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
What's the best MAME emulator for Android right now? I'm mostly interested in SHMUP-like games if that helps.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Is there any way to see the change log for amazon appstore apps when there's an update? I'm pretty annoyed that they're just saying "we're changing something" and then not telling me what that is.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

scarymonkey posted:

Why not just get a router with WiFi? Seems like a much more stable and easy to use solution. Routers can be had for dirt cheap.

I have one, it just doesn't reach all the way to my room due to there being so many walls in the way. In fact, to get a connection on my PC, I have to be wired in through a switch for it to work. Moving it is not an option, unfortunately.

Other than a range extender or a USB AP, not sure what else I can try.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Is there any way to see the change log for amazon appstore apps when there's an update? I'm pretty annoyed that they're just saying "we're changing something" and then not telling me what that is.

I've had the same complaint, and I get the feeling it's one of the major quirks about Amazon's App Store.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

AlexMoron posted:

I have one, it just doesn't reach all the way to my room due to there being so many walls in the way. In fact, to get a connection on my PC, I have to be wired in through a switch for it to work. Moving it is not an option, unfortunately.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704044

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

That looks perfect! Thanks! :)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

AlexMoron posted:

Just buy another router and set it up as a bridge?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

ConfusedUs posted:

So, AirDroid

Ran across this in my Google+ stream yesterday and it's the best thing ever. Simple, wireless file transfers. SMS search, send, receive, and group send. Manage apps. Manage running processes. Manage everything.

From your web browser.

It's fast, it's intuitive, and it works better than anything of its kind I've run across.

Oh, and it's free.

:stare:

Holy poo poo this is awesome. Thanks for posting it. Didn't even know I wanted something like this.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Any goon impressions for security apps? I don't think I need an anti-virus app, mostly want to be able to locate my phone if I lose it.

Lookout seems to be the most common recommendation but I picked up a premium version of SeekDroid from one of the amazon deals of the day though so I was thinking of using that instead.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

THF13 posted:

Any goon impressions for security apps? I don't think I need an anti-virus app, mostly want to be able to locate my phone if I lose it.

Lookout seems to be the most common recommendation but I picked up a premium version of SeekDroid from one of the amazon deals of the day though so I was thinking of using that instead.

Where's My Droid seems to be the most popular one (and it's free!):

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alienmanfc6.wheresmyandroid

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

THF13 posted:

If you're looking for something along the lines of anti-theft, I'd recommend either Cerberus or Theft Aware. Otherwise, there's Where's My Droid, as StickFigs mentioned, and there's also a goon-made lost-my-phone app that allows you to look for your phone through a computer, in case you don't have someone else around to call/text your phone (don't remember what it's called).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been trying out AirDroid, but it seems I have to refresh a message thread manually? Is that right?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

hooah posted:

I've had the same complaint, and I get the feeling it's one of the major quirks about Amazon's App Store.

Change logs on android market are no better, kairosoft are some of the worst.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cakefool posted:

Change logs on android market are no better, kairosoft are some of the worst.

But at least they exist.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

THF13 posted:

That is the ideal solution but my friends use facebook pretty extensively to communicate and plan things so I don't want to get rid of it entirely. The app looks like it can let me use facebook while making it more difficult for someone to see old posts that I have no reason to keep on facebook.

Commit Web 2.0 Suicide and start a new account.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

That AirDroid is amazing, would gladly pay for it if it wasn't free.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

THF13 posted:

I've read an article about theft-aware (root required, costs money) and it sounds amazing.
Can be initiated by sms if data is off, can listen in on the thieves, survives a wipe, all sorts of cool stuff.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/1...ands-on-review/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

I've read an article about theft-aware (root required, costs money) and it sounds amazing.
Can be initiated by sms if data is off, can listen in on the thieves, survives a wipe, all sorts of cool stuff.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/1...ands-on-review/

Root isn't required for TheftAware, it just works much better if it is rooted.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I played around some more with that JuiceDefender and drat, is that thing ever worth it. I fully charged my stock SGS2 last night, turned on the JuiceDefender, switched off WiFi and didn't touch it again until this morning. Twelve hours later and it has barely lost 5% charge. I could leave the thing running for well over a week now, wow.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cardiovorax posted:

I played around some more with that JuiceDefender and drat, is that thing ever worth it. I fully charged my stock SGS2 last night, turned on the JuiceDefender, switched off WiFi and didn't touch it again until this morning. Twelve hours later and it has barely lost 5% charge. I could leave the thing running for well over a week now, wow.

How long does it take for your data to come back on after you turn on the screen? On my phone (Droid X) it took several seconds. It was incredibly annoying to have to wait to use my phone each time, so I uninstalled JuiceDefender.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I looking for a to-do list that does subtasks and has both a web and mobile app.

There is toodledo.com, but I'm not quite ready to pay $15 for something I fail at usually every time I try.

There is OpenLoopz, but that is only for android and I want a web app.

Any suggestions?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jewce posted:

I looking for a to-do list that does subtasks and has both a web and mobile app.

There is toodledo.com, but I'm not quite ready to pay $15 for something I fail at usually every time I try.

There is OpenLoopz, but that is only for android and I want a web app.

Any suggestions?

There's Out of Milk, but that's $5 if you want web to phone syncing. Doubles as a nice grocery shopping list program too, though.

(I'm also sad that they removed the "buy a pro account, get one free to share with a friend" thing. :()

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

How long does it take for your data to come back on after you turn on the screen? On my phone (Droid X) it took several seconds. It was incredibly annoying to have to wait to use my phone each time, so I uninstalled JuiceDefender.
About one or two seconds, maybe? I didn't stop the time, but it's really quick. Faster than I can actually open any app that requires Data, anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have yet to see a decent GTD app. And by decent I mean one with some basic usability and that doesn't look like complete poo poo.

For now I've decided to for-go sub-tasks/project folders and just go with Any.Do (--edit: If you're using Taskos, same developers), in the hopes it gets some place better.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 29, 2011

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

For now I've decided to for-go sub-tasks/project folders and just go with Any.Do (--edit: If you're using Taskos, same developers), in the hopes it gets some place better.
Does Any.DO accept keyboard suggestions for you? I use Swiftkey X and having to manually type out every single word is kind of annoying, considering that not having to do that is basically what I bought the app for.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
New Google Maps 6.0 was just released, adds indoor navigation for people who can't read IKEA maps:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/29/google-maps-6-0-hits-android-adds-indoor-navigation-for-retail/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cardiovorax posted:

Does Any.DO accept keyboard suggestions for you? I use Swiftkey X and having to manually type out every single word is kind of annoying, considering that not having to do that is basically what I bought the app for.
I'm using the default ICS keyboard, and it doesn't even show any suggestions. I guess they've disabled it, because the app shows a dropdown with its own suggestions.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

scarymonkey posted:

New Google Maps 6.0 was just released, adds indoor navigation for people who can't read IKEA maps:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/29/google-maps-6-0-hits-android-adds-indoor-navigation-for-retail/

No one can read IKEA maps. Those secret doors are hidden so loving well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

fudsak posted:

No one can read IKEA maps. Those secret doors are hidden so loving well.

It's on purpose, they design it so you have to loop around their other poo poo before finding an exit, that way you're more likely to browse and impulse buy their other products.

• Locked thread