Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
I understand people's trepidation over naming everything, because it seems like there's a sense of ownership that's associated with the names. For example, that guard variation that's been a staple of BJJ forever is now "Eddie Bravo's Rubber Guard."

However, I also see a ton of empirical studies saying that things are easier to remember and conceptualize if we associate them with interesting names/mental images.

I feel like in the case of the Rat Guard, because it's not particularly "Person X's Rat Guard," I'll just remember the position and its variations better for having the mental image of a rat to associate with it, but I'm not really hurting anyone to think of it that way.

What I'm really curious about is if I would play that position with a different attitude were it differently named. For example, will I feel more like muscling my opponent by calling it the Elephant Guard? Would I stay tighter without having to think about it by calling it the Anaconda Guard? It seems like there may be room to correct your common errors by developing your own naming conventions, but I haven't really put much thought into that. Does anyone else think about this stuff?

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I prefer the names and systems. I couldn't give less of a drat about who 'claims' it as their original ideas. Machado, Eddie, and the Nogeuira's are still arguing over who originally invented a guard where the hand attaches to the foot. Of course, only Eddie can claim that he invented the "rubber guard" because that's just what he calls it.

I feel like Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu has become a euphemism for 'Submission Wrestling' and it's only at specific competitions that certain sport rule sets are necessary. Most bjj instructors will still teach their students techniques which may or may not be legal for certain competitions for the "street self defense" purpose or just so they're aware of what combinations of moves are possible. In this way I think BJJ just incorporates everything, stealing from any style, system, or technique that works.

The names help me remember things. I don't care who named them.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Ridleys Revenge posted:

What I'm really curious about is if I would play that position with a different attitude were it differently named. For example, will I feel more like muscling my opponent by calling it the Elephant Guard? Would I stay tighter without having to think about it by calling it the Anaconda Guard? It seems like there may be room to correct your common errors by developing your own naming conventions, but I haven't really put much thought into that. Does anyone else think about this stuff?

I don't think naming it differently would really effect your actions. A name is just something to call it, or physically describe it, or to refer to a particular strategy.

In this particular case I can see the term "Rat Guard" as being to used to describe that particular position he wants to get into. As it could also be used to describe his strategy from that position. Or maybe he just choose "Rat Guard" because hey thats the first thing that popped into his head.

If he wants to drill it in depth, it would probably help to call it something. So his partners know what the hell he is talking about. Or he could say "I want to try something from a guillotene position."

Either way, it does not matter much. It is entirely up to ones personal tastes.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 27, 2011

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So, I just turned 27, and I've decided after a life full of sluggishness and torpor, that I want to actually try and improve myself physically for once. Throughout my life, I've had sort of an on again off again interest in pursuing the martial arts, but never fully took part in any. But I've finally built up the drive and wherewithal to do so. Now the only question is, which martial art would be appropriate for someone like me?

I'm 27 years old, male, and I've never been in a fight my entire life, sadly. I am extremely skinny, and frail, and have very little pain tolerance.

Of of the (few) positives I have is that my arms are long, and thus i got reach, and I'm pretty flexible.

Not really proud to admit any of this, but thems the facts. I'm definitely willing to take some pain though to improve myself, though I hope it will actually help. I'm willing to take either a grappling or striking art. I don't have a preference per se.

So given this info, what should I take?

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 27, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Its a good thing that you've never been in a fight.
If you want to do grappling, check out Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or wrestling. If you want striking, check out karate, muay thai or boxing. Feel free to crosstrain once your body is used to punishment.

The OP should give you all you need to know.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It kind of depends what you want to get out of a martial art. The usual recommendations in this thread will be something like this:

If you want to hit things: Boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Savate

If you want to throw people or choke people unconscious: Wrestling, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Sambo

All of those will make you fit and make you dangerous.

If you purely want fun and exercise: Capoeira, Wushu

These ones won't make you dangerous, but they'll get you fit and you get to do backflips.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Well, I don't have a preference, I'm willing to do whatever. Dunno with me being so skinny if the muay thai/boxing stuff would fit well with me.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

See what schools are near you, check a few of them out, see what you enjoy. Having long arms will help you in just about whatever you choose.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Mr Interweb posted:

Well, I don't have a preference, I'm willing to do whatever. Dunno with me being so skinny if the muay thai/boxing stuff would fit well with me.

Don't worry about getting in shape just start doing whatever "martial art" you want, you can get in shape by doing whatever is fun to you or supplement whatever is fun to you with an appropriate diet/weight lifting routine.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Today we asdagA#dbg and then I egaegETEGHAGH~~ 6'7 HW THROWING CROSSES AND HEADKICKS facESORE

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Ligur posted:

Today we asdagA#dbg and then I egaegETEGHAGH~~ 6'7 HW THROWING CROSSES AND HEADKICKS facESORE

Drunk-posting = bad/probate
Punch-drunk-posting = awesome and entertaining

So, I'm out of training for a while due to an infection. Nothing to fault my school's cleanliness though, it's not a skin level thing. My patellar tendon somehow got infected after a minor injury, and now I'm on antibiotics until my leg decides it wants to be part of my body again. I'm going to be very bored this week.

How do you guys cope with downtime from injuries? I usually play a lot of video games and/or annoy the hell out of my wife.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

- We can't tell you what you're going to find fun. There are guidelines in the OP for choosing a martial art but it requires, you know, making a decision

- Being skinny doesn't matter. Compare boxers or UFC guys to powerlifters, fighters are skinny because they try to squeeze in the lowest weight class they can. You're lucky that you're starting off skinny rather than starting off fat. It doesn't matter that you're out of shape either, everyone has to start somewhere.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

generatrix posted:

How do you guys cope with downtime from injuries? I usually play a lot of video games and/or annoy the hell out of my wife.

This probably doesn't work for you* because it's an infection but in general for like most people, try to train to the extent possible - and make the gently caress SURE YOUR TRAINING PARTNERS ARE NOT IDIOTS and help you out with it.

When I broke my toe, I taped it heavily and didn't kick with that leg. When my groin snapped so I couldn't roll or kick I only boxed - and boxed badly too, since I couldn't move sideways and to be honest, in any other direction either, but in the end it served well to learn me how to block with my arms only or just head movement standing planted in place like a pylon... because no other options were available. When my wrist was hosed up I taped it, and didn't punch or do any exercises with that arm until it was good to go. I posted about having my eyelid slashed into ribbons a week ago so I taped it and took boxing easy for a few days.

If you're eager to train anyway and sensible enough, you can train through around the injuries to some extent or that's what people always tell me.

*If you cant train because it's a bad one or an infection, yes movies and video games (and the books you didn't have time to read because gym all day otherwise) is what I always do aaaand spend more time cooking delicious dinners, preferably for your girlfriend to enjoy together, as for the meals go :) I'd definitely go for spending time in the kitchen cooking awesome healthy stuff or learning to do so.

That is, by the way, the opposite of annoying the hell out of your wife and might work pretty well. Ask her what she thinks about this approach ;)

Ligur fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 27, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

generatrix posted:

How do you guys cope with downtime from injuries?

Thank my lucky stars I have a good enough excuse to not train and :350: all day with a clean conscience.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

generatrix posted:

Drugs and video games. And preemptive apologies to your wife.

Oh and chess. Chess actually satisfies some of the urge to plot and think tactically while you're down for the count physically.

r.y.f.s.o. fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 27, 2011

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If you purely want fun and exercise: Capoeira, Wushu

These ones won't make you dangerous, but they'll get you fit and you get to do backflips.

Using this as a cue to talk about what we call flourishes in capoeira, also known as "cool flips and stuff".

To clarify why capoeiristas use flourishes: it is the ultimate form of taunt. Executing a flourish properly is not about showing off a cool thing you can do. A proper flourish is a statement to the opponent that you're doing this cool thing while he's trying to attack you, and you do it in such a way that he can do nothing about it. Pulling off a decent flourish in the middle of a game is not easy, not trivial, and certainly does not happen often.

That said, many capoeiristas do not understand this concept. Flourishes are wildly misused, and you often see players flourishing while leaving themselves wide open, or even worse, flourishing with no context, not relating their move to the opponent's actions. There are certain capoeira "styles", and you see this a lot in Bahia (that's the state in Brazil most famous for its capoeira cultural heritage), which are all about flipping and jumping and spinning and twisting in mid-air. A guy who can do these kinds of things is definitely a great athlete, but he is not a good capoeirista - chances are he is a crap one.

I'm saying all this because I feel a certain tendency for people to think of capoeira as nothing but flourishing. It is a shame, but it's understandable: it's the most easily marketed aspect of the art. Instructors, especially outside Brazil, can appeal to the crowd who wants to do cool tricks. It's also what looks more impressive in a demonstration on the street or in highlight videos. That whole business of capoeira being a dance or a fight, which is just silly, doesn't help either.

There is a lot of misinformation around capoeira, as there is with most fads. What I'm making here is an appeal: please don't think of capoeira as learning to do cool flips. It is as restrictive as thinking of soccer as bicycle kicks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'm learning capoeria on the side of bjj and always pestering my instructor to do more advanced stuff, but he is very insistent that every move has a point and I need to know why before I work on how.

...I still handstand and cartwheel after class.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

I'm learning capoeria on the side of bjj and always pestering my instructor to do more advanced stuff, but he is very insistent that every move has a point and I need to know why before I work on how.

...I still handstand and cartwheel after class.

Handstands and cartwheels aren't flourishes, though. They are integral parts of your movement set. Are you learning Angola or Regional?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Guys, what is a box choke? I thought it was an ezekiel choke, but I asked my bjj instructor about today when we were touching on ezekiel chokes, and he had never heard the term.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Neither have I. Where did you hear it?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

Handstands and cartwheels aren't flourishes, though. They are integral parts of your movement set. Are you learning Angola or Regional?

Anything can be a floreio in the right context...

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
2011 Russian Wrestling Nationals highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ptaNak1B3_Q

Some slick moves, scrambles, transitions, and take downs going on there. Uchi matas, single legs, foot sweeps... I particularly like the reversal at 5:51.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

Haha they are when you do them for no reason like me. My instructor does them in actual context but I tend to just throw them out because it's fun.

I honestly don't know the exact style: I know the name of the organization is capoeria senzala. I think it's kind of a fusion, at least my instructor has never used angola or regional to describe it. We train after bjj as kind of an informal class, so i'm kind of in the dark on a lot of the wider cultural stuff. Sure is fun though

mewse
May 2, 2006

kingcolliwog i'm trying to send you an av cert i won in loud mouse's log, but you don't have PMs and there appears to be no priv msg functionality on fitocracy. could you email me at mewse@doomers.org

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Bangkero posted:

Some slick moves, scrambles, transitions, and take downs going on there. Uchi matas, single legs, foot sweeps... I particularly like the reversal at 5:51.

Man, what a great clip, thanks for posting that.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

mewse posted:

kingcolliwog i'm trying to send you an av cert i won in loud mouse's log, but you don't have PMs and there appears to be no priv msg functionality on fitocracy. could you email me at mewse@doomers.org

That very generous of you, thanks a lot! E-mal sent.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I feel like i've gotten approximately eight million times better in standup, just because i've stopped all that kicking. Still like the front leg teep and a rear leg low kick but apart from those i just concentrate on boxing and life is good.

Bangkero posted:

All dat scramblin :stare:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bangkero posted:

Holy... The way some of these guys move :stare:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I don't know much about western wrestling, is that olympic freestyle rules? They seem to move with this weird smoothness that makes me think more of Sambo or Judo.

edit: or maybe I just haven't seen wrestling of such a high standard before.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 29, 2011

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I don't know much about western wrestling, is that olympic freestyle rules? They seem to move with this weird smoothness that makes me think more of Sambo or Judo.

edit: or maybe I just haven't seen wrestling of such a high standard before.

Any higher level wrestling is like that. Even the more mechanical guys who are doing single and double legs are incredibly fluid about it. Honestly, after looking at it I'm not even seeing particularly weird throws, it's mostly hip throws, arm drags, suplexes, and single legs. The big thing that clip did was edit out all of the fighting for position.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

brb, taking up wrestling~

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Okay, I think I got it. Every time I check out a martial art of some kind that I like, I later see another one that I find pretty cool too, which makes it difficult for me to settle on what I want to do. But I think I've decided. It'll be a combination of jiujitsu, mostly cause of this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A6jQulFXN0

coupled that with either Wing Chun Kung Fu or Jeet Kun Do (whichever one is available where I live), mostly cause of this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NWc33qQnqU

So I checked out this jiujitsu place today, which is literally 5 minutes walking distance, which is great btw. I sat in and observed for about an hour and a half, and the environment seems pretty cool. Everybody seems friendly, and a few of the instructors seem like super cool folk. A few noteworthy things:

- I saw them performing in one of the advanced classes, and I gotta say, jiujitsu's probably the gayest looking martial art apart from turkish oil wrestling.
- One of the instructors said that if a person practiced for 3 days a week, it would take them about 12 years to get a black belt. WTF? Don't get me wrong, I neither expect nor would trust one of those places that would give you a black belt in like 6 weeks or whatever, but 12 YEARS? Holy poo poo.

This dojo is offering lessons for $150 a month, first month free. Is that a good deal?

Feel free to comment on anything else, please.

mewse
May 2, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

That very generous of you, thanks a lot! E-mal sent.

didn't get your email :(

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The biggest thing in choosing a martial art is who is nearby. Pick a good gym that you are cool with.

BJJ is good, but Ju Jutsu is just a generic name for a Japanese unarmed martial art (Judo is also known as Kano Ryu Ju Jutsu IIRC). From what it sounds like the school is BJJ which is good, and 12 years for a black belt is reasonable (high level grapplers can do it more quickly, but if you have no experience then that's accurate). Belts are generally given on merit rather than time in the art.

Wing Chun is mostly bullshit IMO. It differs from boxing in that it has worse punches, bad kicks, a bad clinch and some conceptual stuff about a center line that doesn't really pan out. JKD is also bad because it was an incomplete art when Lee died and rather than moving in the Western Boxing + Judo direction that Lee seemed to be going towards it tended back to the Wing Chun style.

If you're interested in learning an actual fighting art then your best bet for striking is going to be boxing, muay thai, kickboxing or a CMA place that does Sanshou.

Personally I'd just go to that BJJ place for the free month and see what you think. $150 is reasonable, it's in a good location and the art tends to cut out the bullshit.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

The biggest thing in choosing a martial art is who is nearby. Pick a good gym that you are cool with.

BJJ is good, but Ju Jutsu is just a generic name for a Japanese unarmed martial art (Judo is also known as Kano Ryu Ju Jutsu IIRC). From what it sounds like the school is BJJ which is good, and 12 years for a black belt is reasonable (high level grapplers can do it more quickly, but if you have no experience then that's accurate). Belts are generally given on merit rather than time in the art.

Wing Chun is mostly bullshit IMO. It differs from boxing in that it has worse punches, bad kicks, a bad clinch and some conceptual stuff about a center line that doesn't really pan out. JKD is also bad because it was an incomplete art when Lee died and rather than moving in the Western Boxing + Judo direction that Lee seemed to be going towards it tended back to the Wing Chun style.

If you're interested in learning an actual fighting art then your best bet for striking is going to be boxing, muay thai, kickboxing or a CMA place that does Sanshou.

Personally I'd just go to that BJJ place for the free month and see what you think. $150 is reasonable, it's in a good location and the art tends to cut out the bullshit.

Yeah, should have clarified, it's not regular JJ, it's BJJ.

Gotta say though, you really killed my buzz on the wing chun/jeet kun do thing. :(

Course, next up was Muay Thai, so I suppose that's coo. ;)

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I've said this before but if you're just looking for a physical activity I'd look at dance. Jazz or Swing or something that takes a little bit of athletic skill like that. You get pretty much all of the physical benefits, you'll meet women and it's something you can actually use (don't get in fights).

The big thing with any activity is finding a group you like and you are comfortable with. Shop around, check out what kind of atmosphere each school has and go from there.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

One of the instructors said that if a person practiced for 3 days a week, it would take them about 12 years to get a black belt. WTF? Don't get me wrong, I neither expect nor would trust one of those places that would give you a black belt in like 6 weeks or whatever, but 12 YEARS? Holy poo poo.

Bear in mind that when you hit blue belt, (the first belt you get after white, it took me 2.5 years) you'll probably be able to beat up the average karate or tae kwon do black belt without much trouble. A belt is just a piece of clothing, different arts and schools have vastly different standards for what it actually means.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

I've said this before but if you're just looking for a physical activity I'd look at dance. Jazz or Swing or something that takes a little bit of athletic skill like that. You get pretty much all of the physical benefits, you'll meet women and it's something you can actually use (don't get in fights).

The big thing with any activity is finding a group you like and you are comfortable with. Shop around, check out what kind of atmosphere each school has and go from there.

The no. 1 priority is definitely self defense. Physical/athletic fitness is no. 2 but will naturally follow no. 1 (goes for meeting the ladies too).

quote:

Bear in mind that when you hit blue belt, (the first belt you get after white, it took me 2.5 years) you'll probably be able to beat up the average karate or tae kwon do black belt without much trouble. A belt is just a piece of clothing, different arts and schools have vastly different standards for what it actually means.

What belt are you currently, if you don't mind me askin?

Something random, but holy poo poo at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2JhhzYqaB8

1300 lbs. of force? Holy gently caress. Is that like a record or something?

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

No it isn't at all. That is a common force output seen in research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mr Interweb posted:

Velasquez recorded over 2000 and Rampage Jackson 1800 for comparison. No idea if they have used the same methods as Fight Science does to record modern boxers.

Maybe Lt. Shiny-sides knows. (The internet/google is full of poo poo you can't confirm regarding record punches, as usual.)

• Locked thread