Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
To be fair she has shown even the slightest modicum of empathy for other human beings, which by Daily Mail standards makes here the second coming of Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

To be fair she has shown even the slightest modicum of empathy for other human beings,

You'd think so.... but no.

quote:

I wish she had spent what were probably her last hours on earth somewhere lovelier.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pablo Bluth posted:

To be fair she has shown even the slightest modicum of empathy for other human beings, which by Daily Mail standards makes here the second coming of Jesus.

"I know what it is like to be poor because once I survived on only £2000 a month".

She would probably have been quite quiet in I'm a Sleb though, she seems to be the type to write about how horrible she is rather than shouting it from the rooftops like Melanie thingy.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
BBC Four are currently showing the Surfing movie Riding Giants under the Storyville strand. If you're after something to see this week, catch it on iPlayer.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 27, 2011

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I would absolutely love to see the voting numbers on I'm A Celebrity. Because it's vote to save I always wonder if the top few people are up with 300,000 votes and the few at the bottom have mid hundreds. I just can't quite imagine thousands of people voting because they want Emily Scott to win in this series.
I want to see the gap between the top person and the bottom.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Stewart Lee will be the guest editor on Radio 4's Today programme:

quote:

Stewart Lee is to be the guest editor of Radio 4's flagship current affairs show Today on New Year's Eve.

For the past eight years, the morning programme has handed over its daily agenda to guest editors between Boxing Day and New Year's Eve.

Others taking part this yearare Tracey Emin, Lord Coe, former chairman of Lloyds, Sir Victor Blank and former House of Commons speaker Baroness Boothroyd.

Ceri Thomas, editor of Today, said: 'The wonderful thing about the guest editors is that they bring us new thoughts and new perspectives. This year's line-up will surprise us and ou

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Will it just be a 10 minute chunk of last year's programme, repeated over and over, and being said more slowly each time?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

FreakyZoid posted:

Will it just be a 10 minute chunk of last year's programme, repeated over and over, and being said more slowly each time?

I am definitely looking forward to it, though.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Argumental is an okay-to-good program! Just catching up with it and Andrew Maxwell's Cockney Spiderman thing last week absolutely killed me.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

BisonDollah posted:

Argumental is an okay-to-good program! Just catching up with it and Andrew Maxwell's Cockney Spiderman thing last week absolutely killed me.

Best part was Sean Lockes reaction to the other team going 'go on then'

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Warwick thought the theme from Blakes Seven was Lost in Space.
Kids today!

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Was channel hopping yesterday and arrived on Fatima Whitbread shooting a cockroach out of her nose, never again.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Cerv posted:

Warwick thought the theme from Blakes Seven was Lost in Space.
Kids today!

I said 'Deep Space Nine' on the music starter before the opening da-da-da-da finished. :negative:

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

bitterandtwisted posted:

I said 'Deep Space Nine' on the music starter before the opening da-da-da-da finished. :negative:

Yeah, me too. Star Trek nerds forever :(:hf::(

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
I am horribly annoyed that nobody noticed that #2 in the second line-up on NMTB was the guy who plays young John Bishop.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm not quite sure my 60 year old mother was ready to have the Farscape theme blasted at her at 9pm on a monday.

And I thought it was TNG. The shame.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Was channel hopping yesterday and arrived on Fatima Whitbread shooting a cockroach out of her nose, never again.

I like to imagine that this occurred on Question Time.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
BBC4 have a documentary on surfing called Riding Giants.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017sr43/Storyville_20112012_Riding_Giants/

It's amazing and you should watch it.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I watched another episode of Him & Her the other night and it was pretty good. I especially liked the upstairs neighbour and his corned beef eating GF. So yeah, consider me sorry for slagging it off in that self-righteous way like I did.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You should pity Dan and not hate him. Even if he does have the worst eating habits.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

It's no coincidence the worst Never Mind The Buzzcocks episodes are always hosted by a musician.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Is there a reason the episodes of mongrels on the iplayer site are 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7? Was episode 7 (the youtube one) the one that was actually on TV and they've just chosen the wrong running order, or is it an iplayer mistake?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Mayor of Scunthorpe was the funniest person on that episode.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The shameless plugging of his autobiography was cringeworthy. That's the kind of nonsense Lamarr would rip into in the past.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

Is there a reason the episodes of mongrels on the iplayer site are 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7? Was episode 7 (the youtube one) the one that was actually on TV and they've just chosen the wrong running order, or is it an iplayer mistake?

Episode 5 is on my friend's virgin box iplayer apparently, but not on the browser one. On the plus side episode 7 is amazing.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

This was posted up on the Red Dwarf Facebook page about 20 minutes ago (caption "Look who's back together for a read-through") & for some reason I'm excited by it a lot.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Here's the thing. Although it was obviously crap, I enjoyed Back to Earth and actually laughed quite a bit at it.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I really didn't like it at all, but I still have hope that they can do a better job writing a series instead of an "event".

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Quanta posted:

It's no coincidence the worst Never Mind The Buzzcocks episodes are always hosted by a musician.
i suppose if you count hasslehoff as being a musician

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

BisonDollah posted:

This was posted up on the Red Dwarf Facebook page about 20 minutes ago (caption "Look who's back together for a read-through") & for some reason I'm excited by it a lot.

I hold out some small hope the new ones may be good. This does look a bit like 3 homeless people and their social worker though.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Quanta posted:

You really do need a dedicated presenter or a comedian.

Edit: The guys from Red Dwarf do look faintly embarrassed about the whole thing. As they should be :colbert:

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

Leyburn posted:

Here's the thing. Although it was obviously crap, I enjoyed Back to Earth and actually laughed quite a bit at it.

I thought those few bits on the ship and not on Earth were pretty spot on. If they keep it to the characters and don't stray too far then it could well be ok.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

aga. posted:

I hold out some small hope the new ones may be good. This does look a bit like 3 homeless people and their social worker though.

Well, Cat chased some bin men with a katana a few years back ( http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2008/02/16/red-dwarf-star-arrested-for-brandishing-samurai-sword-at-binmen-115875-20320988/ ) and got kicked off storymakers (I believe, that show owned and I always used to watch it with my little sister), Kryten is making one of those Scrapheap shows, and Lister is playing a depressed jiltee on Corro. Rimmer's heading some fairly high brow engineering program, so he looks best. The rest look appropriately harrowed

Edit: I'm 100% ready for new Red Dwarf, I literally dont give a gently caress how bad it is I'll watch every one. I mean, remember season 8? We all sat through it, and nothing could be worse. Back to Earth was better than Season 8.

Edit 2: Can anyone explain why they decided to write the Red Dwarf out of the show? Starbug sucked and I dont get why they decided to not use such a great set? was it a budgetary issue?

meme fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 30, 2011

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

meme posted:

Edit 2: Can anyone explain why they decided to write the Red Dwarf out of the show? Starbug sucked and I dont get why they decided to not use such a great set? was it a budgetary issue?

One thing I've seen bandied about is that they wanted the boys to have to face some kind of external threats rather than being in an indestructible monster vessel, but that might be post-facto justification. Also pursuing Red Dwarf gives them a goal whereas before I don't know if they weren't just floating in space.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

meme posted:

Lister is playing a depressed jiltee on Corro.

Don't forget his heroin and prostitute addiction.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

meme posted:

Edit: I'm 100% ready for new Red Dwarf, I literally dont give a gently caress how bad it is I'll watch every one. I mean, remember season 8? We all sat through it, and nothing could be worse. Back to Earth was better than Season 8.

Series 8 is pretty good. Series 7 is the poo poo one. At least series 8 has all the characters in. I find if you watch it on the DVD instead of having it split up into two then three seperate episodes it's a lot funnier. Plus Series 8 had "HAVE A GREAT PERIOD" in it. Meanwhile Back to Earth was a bizzare Blade Runner parody decades too late. Not that it didn't have a few laughs in it but generally it felt like an awkward version of the League of Gentlemen film, and that was awkward enough.

The idea of Starbug according to the commentary and documentaries on the Series 6 disc is mostly to have them move around. It also ties the episodes of that series together a little. Holly's character had also become somewhat worthless now Kryten was in it so removing her didn't change the show much.
(I love Red Dwarf)

And in I'm a Celebrity news the most recent episode was entirely baffling. Two of the celebrities had to be "traitors" and do silly things in the camp like hiding the towels. At the end of this task the two "rulers" of the camp had to decide who they thought the traitors were. They guessed wrong and had to spend a night in the dungeon. They seem to have taken this to heart - even though the "Traitors" were doing it to win a prize for the whole camp and had no idea what would happen to the rulers.
Now the rulers, Willie and Chrissie, hate the traitors because they are "liars". It's a task. In a gameshow. Come on guys, get a clue.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Flatscan posted:

Don't forget his heroin and prostitute addiction.

"Krytes man, I miss me bangkok lady boys and me speed balls..."

It would be ballsy if they actually wrote in some sort of addiction for Lister if this new series isn't terrible.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Taear posted:

Series 8 is pretty good. Series 7 is the poo poo one. At least series 8 has all the characters in. I find if you watch it on the DVD instead of having it split up into two then three seperate episodes it's a lot funnier. Plus Series 8 had "HAVE A GREAT PERIOD" in it. Meanwhile Back to Earth was a bizzare Blade Runner parody decades too late. Not that it didn't have a few laughs in it but generally it felt like an awkward version of the League of Gentlemen film, and that was awkward enough.

It's been a while, I initially wrote series 7 but then changed it to 8 because I've not quite got the memory for Red Dwarf I thought I had!

I got that moving the cast to Starbug was to give them a purpose and introduce some dynamic scenery, but I don't think it really worked. They were already chasing earth, and with the Dwarf they had BOTH a labyrinthine space hulk with heaven knows how many secrets to uncover, AND Starbugs. I just dont get how such bad decisions were made by people who get paid to do this kind of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed most every episode up to around S7, but it always seemed that the show worked in spite of the sets, forced drama, and weird behind-the-scenes decisions, rather than because of them.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

"Krytes man, I miss me bangkok lady boys and me speed balls..."

It would be ballsy if they actually wrote in some sort of addiction for Lister if this new series isn't terrible.

I could see them parodying it with Lister's curry addiction. Craig Charles always seems like a good enough guy to laugh at himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Trailer for episode one of Black Mirror
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=midBr3d3MUg
Starts Sunday at 9pm.

He also did an interview with GQ which is worth a read.