Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Simmer, don't boil stocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Irish Revenge posted:

I left a whole chicken in the fridge for two days to dry out the skin (per Thomas Keller), and I took it out this morning to get it down to room temperature for an hour, but ended up leaving it out of the fridge for about 8 hours. I assume it's no longer good, because the skin is a bit brown and the ends of the bones are a dark red color. So now I just want to use it for stock. What parts do I cut off for stock and what do I throw away? I know I should cut off the wings and the back. Do I just cut off all the meat from the rest of it and use the whole carcass?

It's probably fine, but not worth the risk.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.
Does anybody have root beer recipes that they particularly enjoy? I'm probably carbonating it with a CO2 canister, but yeast isn't out entirely if it really punches up the flavor.

So far I have sarsaparilla, wintergreen, and licorice root shipping to my house in a couple days. Surfing around the internet, I've seen suggestions anywhere from orris root to burdock to hops, but a lot of them are also expensive, so I was hoping to see if anybody had tried recipes they remembered and enjoyed.

Thanks in advance, brewgoons! :cheers:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 15, 2014

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

freshly toasted english muffin, big knob of butter, and a light smear of vegemite.

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

Slopehead posted:

Hi goons with spoons. I have a bit of a silly question. I'm a dorky american kid who is being sent a big jar of vegemite by an australian friend since I've never eaten it before and he claims it is the best hangover cure known to man. Pertinent, since we were getting absolutely rip roaring drunk at the time.

Now, since I am a stupid yank, I don't want to gently caress this up. The marmite website says make a cheese sandwich, but the vegemite website has all sorts of retardedly complex tart recipes and such which I think is a bit extreme for a condensed yeast product.

So school me GWS. How do I make something fast, easy, and preferably not disgusting with Vegemite. Thin spread on buttered toast? Cheese sandwich like the marmite website suggests? A bit slathered on bacon? Mixed with A1 sauce and drizzled over eggs?

As an Australian:

however you bloody like!

Actual answer: Spread thinly, or spread with a slice on cheese on a sandwich. Save the more adventurous theories until you decide whether you like it or not. It can be an acquired taste, I only started liking the stuff about 2 years ago.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Slopehead posted:

Cheese sandwich like the marmite website suggests?

Best sandwich in the world, accept no substitute!

Use a decent cheese, butter, and a light (or heavy if you've become addicted) smear of vegemite.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Has there ever been a healthy cooking thread here in GWS?? I broke my wrist and between holiday food and my general lack of do nothing for the past two months (and the next three or so now), I will sadly need to stop eating whatever the gently caress I want.

I want healthy food that doesn't taste bland :smith:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Eating healthy isn't about not eating good things, it's about eating in moderation and ensuring proper intake of the right nutrients. Don't worry so much - stress is way more unhealthy than eating too many turkey leftover sandwiches.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doubling what Wiggles said. Healthy eating is just eating a balanced diet, without over indulging. The irony is that a significant amount of "health" food (low fat, sugar free, etc) is actually worse for you than the real thing, all the while tasting worse, no matter how much your hippie aunt tells you it tastes the same.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
The whole "Low fat!" thing with healthy food has always been kind of odd I think. Rice is low fat, but if you eat a bucketfull each day, you're still gonna gain weight from all the carbs (and thus calories) you're consuming.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

I made too much parsnip soup. How long will it keep in the fridge? I have no space left in my freezer.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Has there ever been a healthy cooking thread here in GWS?? I broke my wrist and between holiday food and my general lack of do nothing for the past two months (and the next three or so now), I will sadly need to stop eating whatever the gently caress I want.

You'd be welcome to start a thread. Depending on your viewpoint, you're gonna have to choose between posting it here and in W&W I guess. W&W already has threads with recipes but a lot of it is either horrible low-carb stuff or it's weightlifters exchanging ideas for how to cram more tuna down their gullets.

Also second the stress thing. Most foods that are not processed, nor rotten or moldy, will be "healthy" in the sense that they will build your body and offer nutrients to keep you fed without damaging it in the long run. Cholesterol is an issue, but as it turns out, stress has a significant effect on the formation and shape of cholesterol released into the bloodstream. (No, I don't have time to locate the source now.)

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I like the healthy eating philosophy succinctly expressed by Michael Pollan.
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For example, I eat a small amount of iocane powder every day, just in case I have to match wits with a Sicilian.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For example, I eat a small amount of iocane powder every day, just in case I have to match wits with a Sicilian.

..drat, I guess I can cancel that Amazon order for iocane powder to go with the sarsaparilla, now.

(edit) Drink enough water -- it helps with the eating healthy thing more than many people realize. And with fighting colds/bugs, though that's from personal and anecdotal evidence only.

Admiral Ballsack
Aug 13, 2009

so I grill a lot of chicken and I enjoy some honey mustard for dipping. I've played around with making it myself, but I just got this restaurant to give me their recipe because I liked theirs so much. Well, it was a recipe to make 3 gallons of if. I did cut it down, but I've still got about a gallon of the stuff in my mixing bowl in my kitchen
My question is: Do I need to freeze some of it, or will it all keep just fine in the fridge?
It's 4 kinds of mustard, honey, and mayo

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I think (at least in North America) there's so much focus on healthy food being bland, and/or processed to poo poo that many people forget that it can easily be delicious. (or delicious food not being complex)

But yeah, seconding the drink more water suggestion.

As for processing I differentiate between something like bacon or ham (which is cured) and protein powder or weird carb replacements.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Admiral Ballsack posted:

It's 4 kinds of mustard, honey, and mayo
Mustard and honey will last more or less indefinitely without becoming unsafe (although you might have trouble with the emulsion breaking if it sits there too long), but if the mayo is real mayonnaise and so contains eggs it'll go off. If you made the mayo yourself I'd start worrying after about a week unless you low temp pasteurised the yolks, and a couple weeks if you did.

With commercially prepared mayo it'll depend on what's in them and how they're prepared, so I'd treat the best by date on the mayo as an estimate for your emulsion containing it.

Admiral Ballsack
Aug 13, 2009

SubG posted:

With commercially prepared mayo it'll depend on what's in them and how they're prepared, so I'd treat the best by date on the mayo as an estimate for your emulsion containing it.

It's made with just regular Hellman's Mayo. Should I freeze some of it?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Admiral Ballsack posted:

It's made with just regular Hellman's Mayo. Should I freeze some of it?
Mayo really doesn't freeze well. It'll end up separating and you really won't be able to re-emulsify it back into the consistency it was before freezing. It won't be unsafe to consume, but you really won't want to because it'll be a gross mess of lumpy stuff suspended in runny stuff.

Or at least real mayo works that way; I haven't experimented with Hellman's but I assume it'll turn out the same.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Next time, just make it per serving, honey mustard isn't exactly the most difficult thing to make.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I actually started haunting GWS because of the same problem. I went on a real diet where I have to weigh everything I eat, which means I have to prepare everything I eat myself, so I had to learn how to cook. Uh...I am still in the process of doing that last part. In any case, despite being a huge newbie cook, the food I make is still tasty, and I've actually lost my taste for fast food in the meantime.

The two things that helped me the most were:
1) developing an addiction to tea to replace my addiction to soda. Water's probably better but I kept craving soda because of the caffeine. Now I get my caffeine fix with little to no calories.
2) salt (and other seasonings, herbs, and condiments). If you are cooking healthy food and it's bland, it's your own fault.

I have used a bunch of recipes from here and around the internets that weren't technically "healthy," but I wanted them so I just adapted them. The only thing I haven't been able to adapt to my diet is carbonara. :( There's just too much drat fat in that, with the cheese, pancetta/bacon, and eggs all together. I could probably bastardize it into something acceptable but I refuse to do that to carbonara...it's just too awesome.

If you start a thread I'd be happy to post some of my adjusted recipes in there, with the caveat that I'm a noob cook and everyone else in GWS could probably make something better. My lunch sandwich this week is leftover turkey, cranberry sauce, camembert, whole-grain dijon mustard, lettuce, and onion on sourdough, and yes that does fit into my diet, and yes it is freakin' awesome. :)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I'd be interested in such a thread as I like to cook healthy as well. In fact it was my switch to healthy eating that got me cooking more. And I like looking for good recipe's that are healthy but don't rely on bizarre substitutions and weird tricks to be healthy (Hello baking with Splenda -.-)

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

I tried making gnocchi last night as per Batali's recipe but totally failed and am trying to figure out why. Few things that I screwed up that might have been the cause: I had only 1 russet potato but had some yukon golds laying around so I threw them into the mix, I was halving the recipe but forgot to halve the egg, and I couldn't find my potato ricer so I tried to rice the potatoes with my whisk and they weren't as fine as I would have hoped. The dough was really tasty but too starchy. Ended up making them into delicious potato pancakes instead because the dumplings just didn't have the right consistency. Going to give it another shot this weekend and will try to not cut corners this time. Some gnocchi advice would be much appreciated.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I'm making a holiday dinner for ~8 people next weekend, and just found out that someone is coming who is severely lactose intolerant. I was planning to do pumpkin pie, but now that's out the window due to the milk content. I've looked at a few recipes, but I'm hesitant. Is there a way to do non-dairy pumpkin pie that's at all like the 'real thing'?

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.
I picked up some Chinese takeout from one of the very few places in town that delivers, since our car is out of order. What I didn't know when I ordered is that they pride themselves in offering low sodium and no-MSG food... but it shows itself in being rather bland. Otherwise the food is really well-done... the two things I have left are a box of tempura chicken, and some small tempura shrimp.

Other than drowning them in some kind of sauce, can anyone give me a good idea as to what to do with these? I'm using some of the chicken in a salad, but otherwise I'm lost.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

General rule

someone posted:

I have [some sort of Asian leftovers], what should I do with it?

Make fried rice.

related:

someone posted:

I have [some sort of Continental leftovers], what should I do with it?

Make a pizza.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 29, 2011

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I roasted some vegetables tonight (potato, sweet potato, carrots, red onion cut into wedges), setting the oven to 425 and baking for about an hour; this seems to be inline with most of the recipes I've seen online.

Most of the onion came out either chewy or with a paper-like texture. Only a relatively small fraction managed to come out nicely caramalized. Did I cook them too long? At too high a temperature? The roasted veg recipies I came acros all just said to toss everything together so I'm not really sure why this didn't work.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

I roasted some vegetables tonight (potato, sweet potato, carrots, red onion cut into wedges), setting the oven to 425 and baking for about an hour; this seems to be inline with most of the recipes I've seen online.

Most of the onion came out either chewy or with a paper-like texture. Only a relatively small fraction managed to come out nicely caramalized. Did I cook them too long? At too high a temperature? The roasted veg recipies I came acros all just said to toss everything together so I'm not really sure why this didn't work.

Sounds like you didn't coat in a fat. Add a fat next time, and toss and mix them about halfway through. Butter is a standard one, EV olive was popular a few years ago, bacon fat is a nice goony way to go, duck fat makes quite possibly the best oven roasted potato.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

GrAviTy84 posted:

EV olive was popular a few years ago

Cooking with extra virgin olive oil is a waste and probably not recommended anyway. You want that in your no-heat applications, otherwise you risk hitting smoke point among other losses such as flavor.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Comic posted:

Cooking with extra virgin olive oil is a waste and probably not recommended anyway. You want that in your no-heat applications, otherwise you risk hitting smoke point among other losses such as flavor.

What would you recommend? The choices in olive oil can be a bit overwhelming. I have a place that does amazing infused oils and vinegars but that's just for special stuff, not cooking general dinners.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Chard posted:

What would you recommend? The choices in olive oil can be a bit overwhelming. I have a place that does amazing infused oils and vinegars but that's just for special stuff, not cooking general dinners.

I just get some regular supermarket type olive oil that doesn't say "extra virgin" on the tin. No need to buy anything too fancy, but don't buy the cheapest bottom shelf stuff either.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Chard posted:

Peanut oil works great for roasting, as does canola. Throw some herbs in the mix to boost up the flavour, and you're good.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
Sorry for going a few pages back, but I had another question about knife sharpeners.

http://www.amazon.com/W%C3%BCsthof-2904-7-W%25fcsthof-2-Stage-Sharpener/dp/B0009NMVRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322576226&sr=8-1

The two-stage sharpener wasn't mentioned. Is there a reason why you guys wouldn't recommend this? I have one for Asian knives and one for German, and I think they work great. I work in a kitchen store, so I try to make sure what I sell is goon-approved. :)

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sounds like you didn't coat in a fat. Add a fat next time, and toss and mix them about halfway through. Butter is a standard one, EV olive was popular a few years ago, bacon fat is a nice goony way to go, duck fat makes quite possibly the best oven roasted potato.

Hmm. Weell I mixed it all up with EVOO, but only about a tablespoon. Maybe that wasn't enough?

Twerp
Feb 25, 2011
As somebody who gets unreasonably proud when I manage to not burn my drat omelettes, I got a couple basic baking questions. Wanted to try making biscuits for the holidays despite never having baked before, and I noticed some recipes alternated between using milk and buttermilk. What difference does it make for the end product? Are there nutritional differences I should be aware of? How about imitation buttermilk?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have been trying various brands of olive oil and can't find anything decent. I live in the middle of nowhere, so no big surprise. After striking out a few times just randomly picking bottles, I wanted to find out what would be good before wasting my money. I found one of the top 2 picks from Cook's Illustrated supermarket olive oil reviews, Lucini Italia. It tastes kind of flat and almost rancid, just not very good.

Meanwhile, my neighbor has amazing OO he bought in Portland. Fruity and a little bit tangy and smoothly golden delicious. Great on bread. I want something like that. Where can I order some good OO from and how do I know what to pick?

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I wanted to make some delicious cheesy Arepas, but the recipe calls for 'arepa flour' or pre-cooked cornmeal. I looked in the store for such a thing (a large chain grocery store) and couldn't find anything that might be close. Is it a specialty thing? Can I make it myself? Or am I just being retarded and not looking for the right thing?

They also sound like they would cook well in a cast iron skillet. Is it better to just stick with a regular pan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Twerp posted:

As somebody who gets unreasonably proud when I manage to not burn my drat omelettes, I got a couple basic baking questions. Wanted to try making biscuits for the holidays despite never having baked before, and I noticed some recipes alternated between using milk and buttermilk. What difference does it make for the end product? Are there nutritional differences I should be aware of? How about imitation buttermilk?

In some recipes the buttermilk is providing acidity that's necessary for the dough to rise. Usually those recipes will have baking soda as the leavening agent. You can use milk in these recipes but you'll need to add in something acidic or end up with flat biscuits.