Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aelia
May 13, 2008

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

Recently I've noticed that she has a noticeable amount of dandruff at the base of her tail and when I scratch or comb there she starts licking her left paw. I thought maybe she just had dry skin and tried a supplement to help with her skin but the dandruff in that one spot persists.

My old fat cat did that. The vet we talked to suggested that it was likely because he had trouble grooming his back, since he wasn't flexible enough to reach. It was worst when it was cold out, and at its best when it was warm.

There are, of course, other possibilities, so I'd see your vet about your particular case, but I don't recall anything life threatening even being suggested in response to this habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My cat is suddenly missing a dime-sized patch of fur on the front of his arm an inch or two above his paw. There's an eraser-head sized chunk of flesh missing too, but it isn't bleeding and looks very shallow. What the hell? Did he bite himself? He lives with a kitten but they've never ever hurt each other before and I was home when the injury happened and I didn't hear any kitty fights. He was exploring the garage for a while though, which is full of framed posters, so I'm assuming he just caught his leg on a corner or something like that.

He isn't limping, is in fine spirits, and is running and jumping as usual. Suppose I need to keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure it doesn't get infected. Cats!

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My cat is suddenly missing a dime-sized patch of fur on the front of his arm an inch or two above his paw. There's an eraser-head sized chunk of flesh missing too, but it isn't bleeding and looks very shallow. What the hell? Did he bite himself? He lives with a kitten but they've never ever hurt each other before and I was home when the injury happened and I didn't hear any kitty fights. He was exploring the garage for a while though, which is full of framed posters, so I'm assuming he just caught his leg on a corner or something like that.

He isn't limping, is in fine spirits, and is running and jumping as usual. Suppose I need to keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure it doesn't get infected. Cats!

I'd suggest giving it a quick wash with salt water and if possible animal antiseptic just to try and prevent infection rather than wait and see, poor kitty though, clearly he is banned from the garage now, no more pretending to be a car for him.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

marshmallard posted:

On the bright side, they don't seem to have many fleas - I combed Hat through and only found two and one egg thing, and three adults on Grumples. That's not bad, is it?

It isn't, but the tricky thing about fleas is that they spend very little of their time on the animal and most of it in the environment. So to really take down an infestation you need to nuke them from everywhere basically.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

PolarKitt posted:

I'd suggest giving it a quick wash with salt water and if possible animal antiseptic just to try and prevent infection rather than wait and see, poor kitty though, clearly he is banned from the garage now, no more pretending to be a car for him.

Heh, that is a cute explanation for something I've wondered about. Why does he love the place so much! He is obsessed with the garage. He howls at the door to it all the time and gets excited if anyone walks by it. Once in there, he just wants to catloaf in the dead center of it and maybe sniff the trash cans a bit. The obvious explanation is he pretends to be a car :3:

Skabanero pePPers
Jun 20, 2011

What the math
I'm considering adopting a kitty in the near future, I have talked to the owner extensively about said cat (she has 6 toes, genetically superior :3:), etc.

My roommates recently adopted a chihuahua. With the dog, they also adopted some lovely fleas. We live in a 3-floor house and are nearing the end of the vampiric infestation (I haven't seen any fleas on my socks or anything in the past ~2 weeks). Occasionally I will see one or two after doing laundry in the basement.

I have this hot sauce which clocks in around 450,000 scoville units. I dab my finger with the sauce and poke them, nuclear warfare style. This is not the problem. Is it safe to go ahead with the new kitty, keeping her upstairs for the first week until I'm sure the house is clear of fleas? Will this be good/bad for kitty's acclimation? Or should I just wait?

We haven't seen a flea on the dog for over a week and she's stopped itching too which is good. I just don't want to rush this and end up having to deal with the flea problem all over again :ohdear:.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just noticed a bald patch on my cat just at the base of his tail. He's not itching at it, it doesn't look scabby, its just a flat out hairless spot and it's incredibly unusual. I'll get him to the vet when I can but the fact of life is my car just blew up and I'm pretty poor as is so I was wondering what could possibly be happening :(

EDIT: Never loving mind. I found the missing fur downstairs, he's been arguing with the room mates cat. :argh:

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 29, 2011

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heh, that is a cute explanation for something I've wondered about. Why does he love the place so much! He is obsessed with the garage. He howls at the door to it all the time and gets excited if anyone walks by it. Once in there, he just wants to catloaf in the dead center of it and maybe sniff the trash cans a bit. The obvious explanation is he pretends to be a car :3:

Cats like places they can't get to or at least can't get to without being allowed, it's part of that whole they like to mess with your head thing, if mine can't get somewhere they moan but once in there they just lay down and go to sleep.

Maybe he's seen a mouse in there before or something?

Skabanero pePPers posted:

We haven't seen a flea on the dog for over a week and she's stopped itching too which is good. I just don't want to rush this and end up having to deal with the flea problem all over again :ohdear:.

Fleas sadly don't stick to just one floor, if you've even seen one recently I wouldn't bring another animal in just yet, make sure all fabrics, curtains, furniture, clothes are treated some way or another, I know that a lot of pet stores will do things like flea/bug bombs and there's flea powder you put on carpets and furniture then hoover off, Fleas can be persistent and if you have two animals who end up infested due to them re-populating it will be much much harder, especially since cats will get places where the dog can't and you may not even imagine to clean those places if it happens again, the fleas life cycle is a vicious thing.

Dog has had some sort of pill/injection/spot-on to prevent fleas from now on? Prevention is better than cure.

Kitty should be de-flead and preferably as you watch/do it yourself before ever entering the house just in case, I prefer a spot-on of some kind for all my animals as multiple vets have told me flea collars are useless and of course make sure both doggy and kitty are wormed as there are some worms that they can pass on to humans.

Do you have a room with no furniture or carpet? I recommend at least one room like that for flea outbreaks even a bathroom, animals are confined while you bug bomb everywhere else also if you have a garden that the dog frequents, bug bomb that as well to make sure they haven't infested the grass.

This is of course a lot more anal than most people are, my animals have never had fleas but I'd definitely do this if I had an outbreak and they were in any possible fabric they could get to. It's better to be safe than sorry with fleas, especially since some can carry tapeworm eggs so if yourself or an animal accidentally ingests one, you're at risk.

I don't mean to scare you, I've only seen this happen once and the woman couldn't care less if the fleas slept with her at night but so long as you're seeing just one there can be a re infestation. Pictures of this Kitty of course, especially the evolution of thumbs, I love cats with thumbs.

Skabanero pePPers
Jun 20, 2011

What the math
Thank you for your post!

We have bug-bombed the house twice and I've Boraxed the basement, which is carpeted, and that's the only place I've seen the bastards in the past two weeks.

I read through the entire flea-thread and have garnered some solid advice from there. Thanks goons (I'm going to look into buying that Program stuff. I'm just not sure if they make it for kitties that are still fairly young) :neckbeard:.

My current plan is to let the Borax sit downstairs for 2-3 days, then secure all of the animals in another area to enact the same treatment on the other rooms of the house. There aren't many rooms with no furniture so that's a no-go. Our rooms upstairs have wood floors. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to treating wood?

I hate these fuckers so much. I hate them, and my stupid roommates for rushing a dog purchase (irony lol ha ha ha) and buying cheap from a backyard breeder.

Disclaimer: I love my roommates. Backyard breeders suck. Will post catpics in near future.

Skabanero pePPers fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 29, 2011

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

vonnegutt posted:

I asked this earlier as well and got very little response, so here goes:

My cat bites as well, but he's not overstimulated (he often walks up seemingly ONLY to bite me) - I think he does it for attention. He knows a bite will get immediate negative attention, whereas I've learned to ignore his meows (he mews CONSTANTLY whenever we pass by the room with his food dish, despite him getting more than adequate nutrition and a bit of a potbelly).

What I've been doing that's curbed it a little bit is going "Ow!" whenever he bites, and if he's in my lap or next to me on the bed/couch he gets dumped on the floor. When he's not bitey, I try to give him lots of petting and attention, but the second he bites he is dead to me (...for about fifteen minutes).

When I took in one of my strays, she had a tendency to bite. A friend told me a trick about simulating a mother cat to tell her to stop biting. Basically, force her butt down, and then lightly pinch her ear(not enough to hurt, but enough to go THIS IS WHAT A BITE FEELS LIKE). Since we started doing that, she stopped biting. Occasionally she looks over, and opens her mouth like she's going to bite, and then just stops and holds it there and closes her mouth.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
So.. um.. do cats grow oddly like teenagers do? I have a couple of 7 month old cats who I swear are full grown EXCEPT for their heads. Sheldon is getting better, but Pearla is a little pinhead. So, um, do they catch up or should I just get over it? (not that I am really worried or anything. it's just WEIRD)

On biting - Pearla is a biter but it doesn't seem to be an stimulation thing. I pin her when she does it and firmly (but gently) hold her down. It seems to help for a short time, then back to the nibbles. ^^^^ I may try that "mama cat" trick next.

On doors - OMG if you ask these cats the garage has to be the best cat place in the entire world and I am a complete bitch that I don't let them in there.

One more question - anyone had any issues changing cats over to a top entry litterbox? These guys have started REALLY kicking litter all over and I am thinking that maybe a top entry will keep some of it where it belongs?

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Lipumira posted:

So.. um.. do cats grow oddly like teenagers do? I have a couple of 7 month old cats who I swear are full grown EXCEPT for their heads. Sheldon is getting better, but Pearla is a little pinhead. So, um, do they catch up or should I just get over it? (not that I am really worried or anything. it's just WEIRD)

On biting - Pearla is a biter but it doesn't seem to be an stimulation thing. I pin her when she does it and firmly (but gently) hold her down. It seems to help for a short time, then back to the nibbles. ^^^^ I may try that "mama cat" trick next.

On doors - OMG if you ask these cats the garage has to be the best cat place in the entire world and I am a complete bitch that I don't let them in there.

One more question - anyone had any issues changing cats over to a top entry litterbox? These guys have started REALLY kicking litter all over and I am thinking that maybe a top entry will keep some of it where it belongs?

Yeah, kittens, like puppies, can have awkward teenage phases. Usually they grow out of it, sometimes not.

Either way, pictures are required. I want updates on two of my favorite IBKC kittens :colbert:

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Hobbes just scooted out a living tapeworm. Aren't they supposed to come out in chunks, or dead? loving gag. Good thing we were scheduled to go to the vet already tomorrow. Is there any cross-species infection I have to worry about? Will be I be all right washing my hands after playing with them, etc.?

icehewk fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 29, 2011

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

icehewk posted:

Hobbes just scooted out a living tapeworm. Aren't they supposed to come out in chunks, or dead? loving gag. Good thing we were scheduled to go to the vet already tomorrow. Is there any cross-species infection I have to worry about? Will be I be all right washing my hands after playing with them, etc.?

You'll be fine - they have to go through an intermediate stage in a flea, so they aren't infective, just gross. Usually they come out in bits that look like wiggly rice which are parts of the rear end end of the worm filled with eggs (called a proglottid). If you got a whole worm, that's pretty cool. Stick it in a baggie for the vet - they'll love it.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
I have 2 cats that have lived together for almost a year. Younger one has always been a bit annoying to the older one. As soon as I got a rug in the living room, it was like a wrestling mat, but usually the younger one would back off before it got too heated.

In the past few months the wrestling has really ramped up. He's not backing down as easily, and the older one is hissing and growling at him a lot during these matches which are more than a few times a day. The older one has taken quite a few tufts of fur out of him, which doesn't seem to bother him. I've looked for wounds - haven't found any.

What does this all mean?? Is he trying to become the dominant cat? Usually it just seemed like he loved her but wanted to play wrestle, and she was old and didn't want to play like him. Now it seems like he's really rough and she, being not born yesterday and a tough old girl, doesn't want to put up with it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I just got a second kitten today. We wanted another one for our other cat, since she's been a bit of a biter, and we wanted to get her company. This new kitten (we named her Dina) was a former feral, that was tamed. She's very sweet, and likes to cuddle up with me. We still haven't gotten to introducing her.

Here my questions: she's about 5 weeks old. Should there be anything I should be getting her besides regular kitten food? She seems a bit bloated in the stomach.

Also, are there any other worries I should be looking into? She seems to be doing great otherwise.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

pandaid posted:

I have 2 cats that have lived together for almost a year. Younger one has always been a bit annoying to the older one. As soon as I got a rug in the living room, it was like a wrestling mat, but usually the younger one would back off before it got too heated.

In the past few months the wrestling has really ramped up. He's not backing down as easily, and the older one is hissing and growling at him a lot during these matches which are more than a few times a day. The older one has taken quite a few tufts of fur out of him, which doesn't seem to bother him. I've looked for wounds - haven't found any.

What does this all mean?? Is he trying to become the dominant cat? Usually it just seemed like he loved her but wanted to play wrestle, and she was old and didn't want to play like him. Now it seems like he's really rough and she, being not born yesterday and a tough old girl, doesn't want to put up with it.
:catstare:
Maybe try a Feliway diffuser? poo poo sounds like it's getting a bit OTT.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
How do you tell if your cat has tapeworms? As I said, Grumples and Hat both have fleas at the moment, perhaps I.should be taking worm precautions too.

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof

Skabanero pePPers posted:

I hate these fuckers so much.

With wood I'd use the same treatment as on the carpets and a good hoovering, Fleas much prefer carpet or furniture as it's warm and can mimic the fur of an animal so if you haven't seen any near the wood flooring you're probably safe, personally I'd give it another week or two because quite a few flea treatments can't penetrate the pupae stages sacs, I'd go with hoover the wood, stick down some powder/bug bomb, if you can leave it for 24 hours then hoover it back up and once you're done mop the wooden floors, I'd mop with diluted pet disinfectant as I can't imagine it would be healthy for any fleas left, make sure it's pet safe though and you should be sorted. Good luck with getting them all gone and the kitty :P

Lipumira posted:

One more question

My current foster has this HUGE body and tiiiinnny head and it's hilarious as for litter, we got one a quite large one with a rim around it as I've heard horror stories of cats refusing to use hooded ones and it seems to work pretty well, it used to just cover the floor like a drat litter beach.

pandaid posted:

What does this all mean??

I'd follow the advice of a feliway diffuser, it really helped calm our previous fosters down but watch them wrestle closely, are the claws fully out? are they biting harshly? if there have been no wounds it just sounds like maybe the hissy one has gotten bigger and realized he doesn't have to back down, my cats sound like they're murdering each other but I help the one who's yowling they just get up and dive back onto the other kitty.

seiferguy posted:

she's about 5 weeks old.
Who gave you a 5 week old kitten? Shelters don't let kittens go until at least the first vaccination, either way is your other cat up to date on vaccinations? Since the new little one won't be old enough until 9 weeks, the bloated stomach shouldn't be anything to worry about if the kitten is otherwise lively and happy but you'll have to go to a vets for flea and worming since over the counter stuff isn't made for kittens that young which I do suggest as I can't imagine any organization giving someone a 5 week old would know that they need vet worming and fleaing, I'm not having a go of any kind, just curious as to who tamed it then decided 5 weeks was old enough for a new home that already had a cat.

Obviously if you come in contact with any non-vaccinated cats or cats you're not sure about you need to be being careful, using hand sanitizer before handling her when you get home just to be on the safe side until she's old enough for her shots.

marshmallard posted:

Grumples and Hat
Usually you'll see them in the poop, segments break off and come out like little rice grains or flattened shoe laces, be extra sure that if you ever see those to clean them up because they contain eggs which are a delicacy to fleas which is why they give you tapeworms. I don't worm my cats monthly because they don't go out and eat gross things but occasional is good just to make sure.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

PolarKitt posted:

Who gave you a 5 week old kitten? Shelters don't let kittens go until at least the first vaccination, either way is your other cat up to date on vaccinations? Since the new little one won't be old enough until 9 weeks, the bloated stomach shouldn't be anything to worry about if the kitten is otherwise lively and happy but you'll have to go to a vets for flea and worming since over the counter stuff isn't made for kittens that young which I do suggest as I can't imagine any organization giving someone a 5 week old would know that they need vet worming and fleaing, I'm not having a go of any kind, just curious as to who tamed it then decided 5 weeks was old enough for a new home that already had a cat.

Obviously if you come in contact with any non-vaccinated cats or cats you're not sure about you need to be being careful, using hand sanitizer before handling her when you get home just to be on the safe side until she's old enough for her shots.

We didn't get her through a shelter, which would explain things. She's happy and usually pretty playful (sleeps a lot, though I imagine this is part of being a kitty). My other cat is up to date on her vaccinations, however. I might take her to the vet to do worming / fleas, then.

Should I be giving her any kind of KMR milk at her age?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

marshmallard posted:

How do you tell if your cat has tapeworms? As I said, Grumples and Hat both have fleas at the moment, perhaps I.should be taking worm precautions too.

If you've taken them to the vet recently you should be able to just call and ask to pick up a deworming pill. You'll need to do one now and one again in three weeks and then just keep your eyes open. Tapeworms come from your kitties eating fleas, so it's very possibly they will get them. The treatment is focused on only one life cycle of the worm, so that's why you need to do another treatment in a few weeks or a month, to catch those maturing worms.

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof

seiferguy posted:

Should I be giving her any kind of KMR milk at her age?

I assumed not but even so who was looking after her before you got her? Or was it a more she needed to go NOW so you take her, just curious although I'm glad she'd got a home, pictures now please :3:

If she's eating biscuits I wouldn't worry about KMR, you could get some and mix the biscuits in with a little of it if you want to give her a little extra something to help her bulk up and help it go down a little easier but I'd recommend a vets visit first and foremost just to make sure the stomach isn't bloated due to worms which is likely because the mother I'm assuming was a stray which means she likely had worms which means that it's about 80% likely the kitten has had worms from birth since as I said, only vets have products for Kittens that young.

All I can really think of now is that to make sure she's either on specific kitten food or a food that states it's made for all age groups equally, she'll want the nutrients out of a kitten made food, especially seeing how young she is and wet/canned/pouched food is always good for kittens, try not to let her free feed or if you do don't fill her bowl up all the way, Kittens that young will just eat and eat even if they're not hungry so if possible go by the feeding recommendations even if she's yowling for food or that'll become a habit, bowl is empty? Must go scream at owner.

I had Wolverine from about 4-5 weeks from some idiot who'd bought him at around 3-4 weeks old and was confused why he wasn't eating or moving much :v: He yowled if I didn't put food next to him 24/7 so he yowled a lot because I didn't want to reinforce that behaviour, at around 8 weeks he stopped and I let him free feed since he'd learnt to control his intake and that the food wasn't going anywhere so he didn't need to eat it ALL RIGHT NOW and now all 7 free feed and they're good healthy sizes, nice and slim but in no way underweight. It does depend on the cat though, if she turns out that being free fed she gets fatter and fatter, stop because you really don't want her developing diabetes, I only mention it because there's a thread about a kitty with it at the moment because the wife was trained to fill up the bowl.

:confused: Urg, I need a good cat tree but the one I want is like £100
Question: Should I spent that much on a large one that will happily accommodate all 7 cats? Or should I just get a medium sized/large one and assume only a few will be attacking it at a time?

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR

PolarKitt posted:

I'd follow the advice of a feliway diffuser, it really helped calm our previous fosters down but watch them wrestle closely, are the claws fully out? are they biting harshly? if there have been no wounds it just sounds like maybe the hissy one has gotten bigger and realized he doesn't have to back down, my cats sound like they're murdering each other but I help the one who's yowling they just get up and dive back onto the other kitty.

I will go get a refill for my diffuser. I'm going away for work and the holiday this month, and I don't want them to feel stressed out, anyways. (Yes I have good cat sitters).

In general it seems like it starts with claws in but it progresses to more violent. The old girl has only 1 fang left, and I think she uses it whenever she pleases. The younger boy likes to try to bunny kick her in the face and I try to discourage that. The tufts of fur are smallish. One time he was walking under her while she was on the couch and she reached out got a tuft with just a claw. And I trim them weekly! I don't blame her, as 95% of the time, he's bothering her while she's just laying there being lazy. She was in a hoarding situation before I adopted her and I think she sees any wrestling as a form of aggression, where he is just hyper and playful. He gets poofy tail very easily, and she hisses and growls at him. I've never heard him hiss in his life. He has started doing a weird meow at her when it gets really heated.

I wish I talked cat more easily.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

RheaConfused posted:

If you've taken them to the vet recently you should be able to just call and ask to pick up a deworming pill. You'll need to do one now and one again in three weeks and then just keep your eyes open. Tapeworms come from your kitties eating fleas, so it's very possibly they will get them. The treatment is focused on only one life cycle of the worm, so that's why you need to do another treatment in a few weeks or a month, to catch those maturing worms.

Yikes. I wonder if that's why Hat is so thin.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

PolarKitt posted:

I assumed not but even so who was looking after her before you got her? Or was it a more she needed to go NOW so you take her, just curious although I'm glad she'd got a home, pictures now please :3:

If she's eating biscuits I wouldn't worry about KMR, you could get some and mix the biscuits in with a little of it if you want to give her a little extra something to help her bulk up and help it go down a little easier but I'd recommend a vets visit first and foremost just to make sure the stomach isn't bloated due to worms which is likely because the mother I'm assuming was a stray which means she likely had worms which means that it's about 80% likely the kitten has had worms from birth since as I said, only vets have products for Kittens that young.

All I can really think of now is that to make sure she's either on specific kitten food or a food that states it's made for all age groups equally, she'll want the nutrients out of a kitten made food, especially seeing how young she is and wet/canned/pouched food is always good for kittens, try not to let her free feed or if you do don't fill her bowl up all the way, Kittens that young will just eat and eat even if they're not hungry so if possible go by the feeding recommendations even if she's yowling for food or that'll become a habit, bowl is empty? Must go scream at owner.

I had Wolverine from about 4-5 weeks from some idiot who'd bought him at around 3-4 weeks old and was confused why he wasn't eating or moving much :v: He yowled if I didn't put food next to him 24/7 so he yowled a lot because I didn't want to reinforce that behaviour, at around 8 weeks he stopped and I let him free feed since he'd learnt to control his intake and that the food wasn't going anywhere so he didn't need to eat it ALL RIGHT NOW and now all 7 free feed and they're good healthy sizes, nice and slim but in no way underweight. It does depend on the cat though, if she turns out that being free fed she gets fatter and fatter, stop because you really don't want her developing diabetes, I only mention it because there's a thread about a kitty with it at the moment because the wife was trained to fill up the bowl.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, the caretaker needed her gone ASAP. We wanted a second kitten, so we took it.

I've been having her free eat from a bowl, so I'll limit her intake going forward. I noticed that her stools have been a little soft (still formed) and somewhat yellow. If it doesn't clear up by then, I'll take her to the vet - which I'll probably do sooner rather than later to get her checked for worms.

Here's a picture of her:

I woke up with her sitting on top of me :3: She's adjusted very well to people. She's actually sitting upright on my leg as I type this. Now I just need to get my other cat, Chloe, to like her. I may have done the supervised visit too early. Chloe did a lot of growling and hissing while Dina sat there doing nothing almost with that innocent "what did I do wrong?" look. I'm trying to have them eat together on opposite sides of a door, having the other cat smell the traveling case, etc. Chloe isn't even a year old yet, so I imagine she's still young enough to get used to another cat.

edit: here's Chloe, my other cat. She's about ~6 months old:

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 29, 2011

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof
I'm not great on introducing slowly because I've never had to, every kitten that's come in has been dumped in the middle of the chaos, my cats hissed and a small amount of slapping for about 24 hours then just gave up because it was too much effort and went to licking them, they never hurt the kittens and the kittens just came to my lap if they wanted to escape, the dogs just wanted to sniff them and know when to back off because the kittens hissed a little.

Aww she's gorgeous, she reminds me of a kitten we found then gave to a rescue because at the time it wasn't realistic to keep a kitten but she stayed with us a few days and she slept on my back, it was so bloody adorable.

Chloe has a puffy face that I want to squish :3: If the kitten (does she have a name?) was a big older and bigger I'd say the supervised visits are fine but I'd definitely try and be careful until she's wormed and flead just so Chloe doesn't catch anything.

Pandaid Unless the bunny kicking is actually hurting it's not a problem, mine all do it to each other when playing and to any toy that goes near their stomach, however they know that my hand is not for playing so I can rub tummies without fear of being kicked. It doesn't take much effort at ALL to take a clump of hair from a cat and like I said, my cats yowl like they're being killed but if I intervene they treat me like some fun ruiner.

Maybe she's just used to being lazy and doesn't like him forcing her to do things that require effort, I find it hilarious when mine come up to me with puffed up tails because they're been playing a little hard, other than the feliway I'd just suggest watching and so long as there's no injuries or situations that make you feel uncomfortable, try and let them get it out their system and settle it? Feliway also do a spray I have a small bottle of so maybe get one of those and spray it on the rug if that's mainly where the fighting occurs, it showed an obvious effect on the foster being aggressive to her daughter in their bed.

Aelia
May 13, 2008
So, when I adopted Patrick, the foster lady said that he's got a runny eye, and that the vet had looked at it and suggested Lysine pills ground up and put in his food (half a pill, twice a day.)

His eye is still runny, and sometimes it's a little squinty a week later, but it doesn't seem worse or anything. Should I be taking him back in to the same vet (or a new vet?) just to get it checked, or is this something I can "wait and see" on?

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof
I'd go to a different vet, I've never heard vets suggest human medication in replacement for something they could give him, when my foster got runny eyes they got eye drops for a week at minimum to make sure they didn't get an infection and it cleared up and as far as I can tell Lysine pills are to prevent/clear up cold sores which are a herpes virus, now runny eyes could be an indication of "cat flu" which is essentially a feline type of herpes, but it's FELINE which means human herpes medication isn't going to work for the animal unless it's some type of supplement or vitamin but since his condition hasn't changed, after 2 days of eye drops my cats always showed improvement, I only kept it up for the full week so it was sure to be cleared out, stopping treatment early can leave nasty bits hanging around.

Never just wait and see when it comes to an animal unless a vet says so, then get a second opinion, even a few days can be the difference between it being okay and it losing the eye to something so if you can't get to a different vet for a few days take a clean towel, dip it in warm water and just dab around his eyes gently to try and help with it and to try and prevent it crusting over and irritating him.

Edit: I realize you said the FOSTER had told you what the vet said, my opinion is she never took the cat to the vet as again, I've never met a single vet worth his weight that would suggest human medication over products that they carry because simply put, animals are not human, their diseases very rarely match our own and require the same treatment. Perhaps phone the vet she claimed to see and ask if that's really what he said, if it wasn't then take him in if it was then find a different vet, maybe go to a different one anyway, you need to find who suits you best and who you can trust to give the best treatment.

I also can't guarantee that the vet didn't recommend this, just that none of mine ever have when cats have gotten this virus as it clears up on its own except in bad cases, I'm still concerned you weren't given any eye drops to prevent/help any infection in the eye.

PolarKitt fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 29, 2011

Aelia
May 13, 2008

PolarKitt posted:

I also can't guarantee that the vet didn't recommend this, just that none of mine ever have when cats have gotten this virus as it clears up on its own except in bad cases, I'm still concerned you weren't given any eye drops to prevent/help any infection in the eye.
Yeah, I just called and made an appointment with a different vet for tomorrow morning. We'll see what that vet says.

As far as the foster? I do trust that she took him to the vet, I just wonder whether something got lost in translation, like a game of telephone.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

PolarKitt posted:

I'd go to a different vet, I've never heard vets suggest human medication in replacement for something they could give him, when my foster got runny eyes they got eye drops for a week at minimum to make sure they didn't get an infection and it cleared up and as far as I can tell Lysine pills are to prevent/clear up cold sores which are a herpes virus, now runny eyes could be an indication of "cat flu" which is essentially a feline type of herpes, but it's FELINE which means human herpes medication isn't going to work for the animal unless it's some type of supplement or vitamin but since his condition hasn't changed, after 2 days of eye drops my cats always showed improvement, I only kept it up for the full week so it was sure to be cleared out, stopping treatment early can leave nasty bits hanging around.

Never just wait and see when it comes to an animal unless a vet says so, then get a second opinion, even a few days can be the difference between it being okay and it losing the eye to something so if you can't get to a different vet for a few days take a clean towel, dip it in warm water and just dab around his eyes gently to try and help with it and to try and prevent it crusting over and irritating him.

Edit: I realize you said the FOSTER had told you what the vet said, my opinion is she never took the cat to the vet as again, I've never met a single vet worth his weight that would suggest human medication over products that they carry because simply put, animals are not human, their diseases very rarely match our own and require the same treatment. Perhaps phone the vet she claimed to see and ask if that's really what he said, if it wasn't then take him in if it was then find a different vet, maybe go to a different one anyway, you need to find who suits you best and who you can trust to give the best treatment.

Lysine capsules from the supermarket are exactly the same as the lysine you can get at the vet. There is no pet grade or human grade. It's the same. The vet is still in order, but just clearing you up on this. Our vet just told us how much of the capsules to use.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

RheaConfused posted:

Lysine capsules from the supermarket are exactly the same as the lysine you can get at the vet. There is no pet grade or human grade. It's the same. The vet is still in order, but just clearing you up on this. Our vet just told us how much of the capsules to use.

To add onto this, this also goes for anti-anxiety and pain medications and I'm sure several other things too. Vets also will suggest to give regular benedryl in low doses to ease allergies or act as a mild sedative for car rides or whatever.

Aelia
May 13, 2008
Well, but would it be reasonable to give Lysine for a runny eye? (Pet grade vs. human grade (or the lack thereof) aside. I think that topic comes up in here once in a while, right?)

These are the first mammals I've been primarily responsible for. Smokey may have been "my" cat, but my parents took care of the vets and things.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

PolarKitt posted:

marshmallard posted:

tapeworm stuff
Usually you'll see them in the poop, segments break off and come out like little rice grains or flattened shoe laces, be extra sure that if you ever see those to clean them up because they contain eggs which are a delicacy to fleas which is why they give you tapeworms. I don't worm my cats monthly because they don't go out and eat gross things but occasional is good just to make sure.

You can also look around their bedding; 'fresh' (:cry:) segments look like grains of white rice, but then they harden into more circular, yellowish bits like these: http://www.familyvet.com/Cats/110.JPG which fall off their fur when they curl up to sleep.

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof
Fair enough then, I don't think either of those products are in the UK, at least not in my local pet shops or supermarkets and I've never heard the vet even suggest it, let alone use it, I'll have to ask when I take my boys in to be neutered and again, when my foster and my own cats got runny eyes as kittens they were given antibiotic eye drops These to be precise so it was just unusual to me but that's my problem with advising any non-uk people, you guys use things like baby aspirin on your animals where as, as far as I'm concerned that's pretty rare in the UK at least compared to the US.

I think my "advice" came from my worry that if he's a kitten, even half a pill may be too much for his small body and I had, perhaps wrongly, assumed that a vet would go with the antibiotic eye drops since the issue is currently with his eyes and should be the focus, hence eye drops, now funnily enough I know that those eye drops are also used for humans and it's probably just me but I always feel safer getting stuff from the vets when it comes to things as sensitive as eyes.

Do be aware though that there isn't a cure for "cat flu" if it's not bad it goes away on its own but can have re-occurrences so don't be shocked if he gets a bit sneezy and runny in a few months/years time.

Robo I totalled "eww"'d at that picture like a 5 year old but thank you for the information, I want all the knowledge I can get on all subjects so I'm more likely to not freak out if something happens to my own animals, it also of course helps me helps others :v: If I saw those close to the skin I have to admit I'd assume ticks until closet inspection

Also thank you the same to Rhea and Kerfuffle, your odd non-british ways confuse me and I must learn.

Since you're taking the Kitty in tomorrow anyway just ask your vet if it's safe, make sure he knows it didn't work though just in case he tries to suggest it again, if he's started squinting that's usually because it hurts to fully open their eyes or maybe he just can't because of the gunk. Still, my bad if I was wrong about things but hey, that's why you only really trust your vet to know.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Aelia posted:

Well, but would it be reasonable to give Lysine for a runny eye? (Pet grade vs. human grade (or the lack thereof) aside. I think that topic comes up in here once in a while, right?)

These are the first mammals I've been primarily responsible for. Smokey may have been "my" cat, but my parents took care of the vets and things.

Yes, it's a very commonly recommended treatment for feline herpes, which causes runny eyes, but if you haven't been to a vet yet to be formally diagnosed you should definitely go. (in the US at least)

Polarkitt, no prob. That's why we are very careful about the advice we give here. You'll get used to it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I came here to ask about catbro a little while ago but didn't post a picture. here's a couple, including one of his sweet name tag

EDIT: he's 6 months old and the girl who had him before us called him edgar. we scrapped that quickly and now he's catbro

for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrU_ef7DQgs

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Can anyone explain to me why my two month old kitten is freaking the hell out? She is 2 months old, I've had her for a few days, no problems of any sort, she eats, drinks, poos in her liter box and is incredibly affectionate. She even sleeps through the night(mostly) without waking me up.

She is right now FREAKING THE HELL OUT.

She is INCREDIBLY energetic and running around and pouncing on things like crazy, her eyes are really dilated. She is not hurt, she just suddenly seems VERY excited at everything.

I have a scratching post with some catnip in it but I did not see her use it, I am not sure if she has used it at all. Could this be a response to her getting some cat nip?

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Sometimes they just get crazy eyes and everything becomes a toy, no catnip required, though it does enhance the crazies. My cats don't have catnip a whole lot but they still go nuts once in a while. Probably just pent up energy. They did it a lot when they were tiny kittens. Play with her and I bet she'll be worn the hell out.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

It's called "zoomies" and it's one of the most entertaining aspects of cat ownership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Diogines posted:

She is right now FREAKING THE HELL OUT.
You'll learn the look the proceeds the zoomies. The pupil dilation, the anxious ears, the little tail twitch and the obvious tension in every muscle in their body. This is when you tuck in all limbs and pray ;)