Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

FreakyZoid posted:

I don't think it is standard in the UK. I've never asked it, or been asked it. The expected salary question (even though that is more standard) is a con - they have a salary in mind (and budgeted) for that role. You say an amount lower than that, you're doing yourself out of money. You say more, they might think you're unreasonable.

Answer the question with "whatever your studio's salary for a QA position with my experience is". Get them to start the negotiation.

Really? I'm asked by almost every recruiter and HR person I deal with. Maybe because I had a nonstandard job title?

Regarding my conduct the last couple of days, sorry everyone. I seem to have swung "up" sometime yesterday evening for no particular reason. Maybe I'm really enthusiastic about fibbing about my previous wage. I look back at what I wrote and can't think why I felt that way, let alone commit it to the forum. I no longer hate who I hated, of feel all the despair that I did. I suppose I'm saying

Also, I'm thinking of taking a short course in C++. I know you can learn online but I think getting a certificate or something might be a good idea. Would that make me substantially more employable? I know there have been jobs where C++ was the main thing I'm missing, but I don't know if anything other than having a job that uses it for a year will do the trick. I'm not sure I'd ever use it for a personal project, but I might change my mind after trying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Diplomaticus posted:

BizarroAzrael, we met at GDC two years ago right? I'm almost certain we did except for some reason I have theaznsensation's phone number listed under your name in my phone.

-e- Pretty sure it was two years ago; that was the goon meet at Chevy's, last year was at the asian basement place where SpaceDrake's tea had a flower growing a penis in it.

Dammit, that was azn's tea, not mine :argh:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Seeing as GDC is one of the things I look forward to most each year, the Tuesday-night Chevy's DevGoonMeet holds a special place in my heart as like the starter pistol to 96 hours of equally terrific and terrible insanity. :unsmith:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Unfortunately you guys are going to have to do without me for GDC this year :(.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also, I'm thinking of taking a short course in C++. I know you can learn online but I think getting a certificate or something might be a good idea. Would that make me substantially more employable? I know there have been jobs where C++ was the main thing I'm missing, but I don't know if anything other than having a job that uses it for a year will do the trick. I'm not sure I'd ever use it for a personal project, but I might change my mind after trying it.

Would really like someone's take on this. Really I'd like to take a course that's all day for a few days, rather than a couple of hours a week (which I can find many of) Is there a course I can do online, which offers feedback and some kind of recognised qualification?

Edit: or should I just self teach from the sites and books listed in the C++ threads in the Cavern?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 26, 2011

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

C++ is very widely used so it can't hurt, but as for C++ qualifications? I don't know if there are any standard ones, or if anything like that would even help. If you have "Proficient in C++" nobody's going to want some qualification (beyond the obvious, the computer science degree) next to it before they'll go "okay, sure" and just ask you about it during the interview.

C++ is not something you can learn to the level where you'll be able to use it in industry all that quickly, though. It will take a long time of learning the theory and putting that into practice. If you're not really thinking of committing yourself to the long-haul with this I don't think it will help your chances of employment. Unless you're going for full-on development, and not something along the lines of your old job, I doubt you're going to want or need to spend, let's be honest, 6 months to a year of extensive coding to get to the level of someone wanting to hire you to write anything in it. Nobody wants to train someone in C++ on the job.

Edit: This came out way too rambly. If you are thinking of going into full-on developer programmer, then yeah, definitely go for it, but you will need to spend a lot of time on it. A lot of time. If you're not, I don't think it would be worth the time/money/effort. "I'm not sure I'd ever use it for a personal project" is the kicker because if you don't use it for personal projects you have absolutely no chance of getting proficient in it, and after using more modern languages like C# or Objective-C I doubt anybody would try C++ and go "Oh man this is the one for me!" straight away. It'll be annoying.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 26, 2011

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Being even an entry level game programmer is so much more than just c++. There is a foundation in Linear Algebra that is mandatory and also a knowledge base of algorithms that you're pretty much expected to know. You should know how to implement A*, understand collision between lots of different shapes, Binary Search Trees and I'm sure other programmers could add lots to this list. Learning the information well enough to be junior programmer is not a six month thing, unless you are some sort of super genius.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Right, but I do seem to recall that BizarroAzrael isn't coming to this completely fresh, he knows other languages. Linear Algebra and algorithms like you've listed are language agnostic concepts.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Akuma posted:

Right, but I do seem to recall that BizarroAzrael isn't coming to this completely fresh, he knows other languages. Linear Algebra and algorithms like you've listed are language agnostic concepts.

Right, I was working in C# in my last job and have also used Java, Javascript and ActionScript, and I'm not looking for a "programmer" role, save possibly in tools. Also I think I could use a refresher in OOP, and I think a C++ course represents better value. I've seen design roles call for it, and a role I did a phone interview for and was asked for days to do one in person called back after a month to say they wanted C++.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Right, I was working in C# in my last job and have also used Java, Javascript and ActionScript, and I'm not looking for a "programmer" role, save possibly in tools. Also I think I could use a refresher in OOP, and I think a C++ course represents better value. I've seen design roles call for it, and a role I did a phone interview for and was asked for days to do one in person called back after a month to say they wanted C++.

If you've worked in C#, the C++ transition won't be too bad. Honestly, with your experience with other languages, you'll probably pick up the syntax pretty quickly as well. It'll add a decent skill to add to your roster, so I'd say go for it. That said, I don't think a certificate will help you out all too much as far as hire-ability is concerned.

Take all this with a grain of salt, though. I don't work in games, I'm just a lowly java dev for in-house stuff but we typically haven't hired anyone with a certificate over people without. I think our HR team is just good at weeding out people trying to bullshit us.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Is there a thread floating around on Blender in these forums? I'm trying to learn it for making some stuff for a personal project, but the UI for this was clearly built by insane people.

Every time I tried to clean it up and make the madness go away this happens:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

Is there a thread floating around on Blender in these forums? I'm trying to learn it for making some stuff for a personal project, but the UI for this was clearly built by insane people.

Every time I tried to clean it up and make the madness go away this happens:

Your best bet would be to ask for help in the 3DCG thread in Creative Convention. I know a few people in there use Blender and have links to some interface setup guides to make it a lot more usable.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Az, didn't you say you were a Build Engineer at Frontier? I don't know if you were wanting to continue in that sort of job but we've got an opening for one of those right now if you're interested!

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Life sucks as the build guy. No one really understands the extent of everything you do, and the better you are at your job the less people notice you. It's the worst kind of job -- the one where perfection only gets you to "that's how things are supposed to be."

Still, they're indispensable and good studios know that.

All that aside, having 4 days off last week was unbelievable. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself taking an actual vacation at the end of the year...

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Tricky Ed posted:

Life sucks as the build guy. No one really understands the extent of everything you do, and the better you are at your job the less people notice you. It's the worst kind of job -- the one where perfection only gets you to "that's how things are supposed to be."

Haha so true. We just lost our build guy a few weeks ago and now the studio manager is pissed because "Hey WTF is up with the build lately??"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

floofyscorp posted:

Az, didn't you say you were a Build Engineer at Frontier? I don't know if you were wanting to continue in that sort of job but we've got an opening for one of those right now if you're interested!

Yeah, I've spoken to Backov and the head of department about it. Would be a big jump forward for me so hopefully something will come of it. Obviously Jagex is pretty distinct from Frontier in terms of build process, what with everything they do playing through browsers.

Have no idea how Frontier has been doing build procedure since I was laid off. I understood why something like Lostwinds didn't need the sophisticated update process of an open-world game, but the Kinect titles I would think were still pretty substantial. Maybe being single-platform helps, and perhaps the Kinect libraries keep the required amount of code down. Perpetual crunch culture might help too.

Anyway, I have a new motivation to get back into the industry, I've started playing Magic in a big way. Besides wanting an income to really facilitate the habit, in games you can conceivably get a round in during lunch.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, I've spoken to Backov and the head of department about it. Would be a big jump forward for me so hopefully something will come of it. Obviously Jagex is pretty distinct from Frontier in terms of build process, what with everything they do playing through browsers.

Have no idea how Frontier has been doing build procedure since I was laid off. I understood why something like Lostwinds didn't need the sophisticated update process of an open-world game, but the Kinect titles I would think were still pretty substantial. Maybe being single-platform helps, and perhaps the Kinect libraries keep the required amount of code down. Perpetual crunch culture might help too.

Anyway, I have a new motivation to get back into the industry, I've started playing Magic in a big way. Besides wanting an income to really facilitate the habit, in games you can conceivably get a round in during lunch.

As a game guy and Magic player, god help you. Having a steady income and no familial responsibilities is a great way to find yourself spending large chunks of cash on cards like it was no thing.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Sigma-X posted:

As a game guy and Magic player, god help you. Having a steady income and no familial responsibilities is a great way to find yourself spending large chunks of cash on cards like it was no thing.
It's still not as bad as miniature games. A gamer friend of mine (adult, dad, etc) buys a pack of stupid poo poo every time we do a gaming night at the store. He just likes the miniatures, and poking through to see what the pack had - he doesn't especially care what game it's for.

On the one hand, hey, he's supporting the store, but... I swear, that's an addiction. To tiny plastic men.

EDIT: VV Hot tip - save. loving save that money. You WILL lose your job, this is the games industry, and you do not want to be one of the ones scrabbling for a job with no savings when it happens.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 29, 2011

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
i am a young professional with access to more wealth than i've had before in life

and i am an airsofter. :stare:

about £400 of guns there bought from when i was on MINIMUM wage.

god help me now im on £18.5k a year

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Aliginge posted:

i am a young professional with access to more wealth than i've had before in life

When I started my first full-time job out of school, I was so confused about the vast sums of money I had making $30,000USD a year. Wait, I was making games AND getting paid?! What the hell am I to do with all this money?! I could buy a Dreamcast and games on a whim! I could buy not-water beer! And still I had so much left over!

I called my dad to ask what I should do with all the new found wealth and his advice? "Hire yourself an au pair. It's an even better deal for her since with you, you're the only child she'd have to take care of and you probably wouldn't need to be changed!"

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Aliginge posted:

and i am an airsofter. :stare:

about £400 of guns there bought from when i was on MINIMUM wage.

god help me now im on £18.5k a year

Haha, awesome. I used to be an airsofter pre industry gig. But I decided to move my old kit down to here so we could have some references and stuff in the office. And now a large amount of people have suddenly become interested in airsofting. ALthough I much suspect that they're just interested in getting some airsoft guns :)

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

truth is, everyone is into airsoft, they just don't know it yet. :v:

Parents were all HARRUMPH buying guns again thats irresponsible nag nag, then you put one in their hands and they remember what it's like to be a kid with a toy gun again. :3:

And I've already had an airsoft trip with one of our programmers, out new artist and her boyfriend who works at Blitz. It's great for team building don't you know :v:

(Akuma should totally come along.)

quote:

What does one... do, with airsoft?

Is it like, paintball? Only they're tiny plastic beads, so good luck figuring out who got hit when? How would that not devolve into a 6 year old's "I shot you first!" "Nuh UH! I SHOT YOU FIRST" argument? Wouldn't using them outside be a grave ecological sin, given the low likelihood of ever recovering all the beads?

It is honour-based and there is the issue of people not taking hits, but they are generally in the drastic minority. But basically yeah, it's paintball with cooler guns that fire further, faster, cheaper, more realistically and they hurt less.

oh and most BBs are biodegradeable :3:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 29, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Is it like, paintball? Only they're tiny plastic beads, so good luck figuring out who got hit when? How would that not devolve into a 6 year old's "I shot you first!" "Nuh UH! I SHOT YOU FIRST" argument? Wouldn't using them outside be a grave ecological sin, given the low likelihood of ever recovering all the beads?

(I own actual firearms - target shooting is fun)

EDIT: VV This'n right thar is a straight shooter. 'MERICA :clint:

EDIT2: ... actually I want to move to Canada. I suppose I'd have to give up my Czech pistol (CZ-52) if I did (EDIT: Oh, huh, no, seems it'd be legal with the proper permit - YAY). It is so fun to shoot. :(

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 29, 2011

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Here in 'merica we buy REAL guns with our HUGE MIDDLE CLASS SALARIES. :clint:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

I would love to go range shooting with actual guns at some point in my life. :britain:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Aliginge posted:

I would love to go range shooting with actual guns at some point in my life. :britain:

That's why God invented Las Vegas... So you can go to indoor ranges and shoot fully automatic weapons between gambling, alcohol and legalized prostitution...

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Shalinor posted:

(I own actual firearms - target shooting is fun)

EDIT: VV This'n right thar is a straight shooter. 'MERICA :clint:

EDIT2: ... actually I want to move to Canada. I suppose I'd have to give up my Czech pistol (CZ-52) if I did (EDIT: Oh, huh, no, seems it'd be legal with the proper permit - YAY). It is so fun to shoot. :(

BBs can actually hurt, but sometimes you can't feel them as much because it's cold outside and you are in a forest with gear that it starts to feel like someone is giving you a hard poke.

If you aim for the head people will generally call out "hit" quite fast amongst a slew of cursing.

Also some marshalls are quite adamant about the honour system that they will also shoot at people not taking their hits even after doing so for punishment. They are not ones to like bullshitters.

I did get to shoot for reals in vegas, was pretty fun. I'd love that part about about being in the US. However, I'll take the NHS instead, sorry :shobon:

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
It's amusing to me when testers think that attaching a movie to their bug as proof will stop me from resolving it "not repro." :smug:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Aliginge posted:

truth is, everyone is into airsoft, they just don't know it yet. :v:

Parents were all HARRUMPH buying guns again thats irresponsible nag nag, then you put one in their hands and they remember what it's like to be a kid with a toy gun again. :3:

And I've already had an airsoft trip with one of our programmers, out new artist and her boyfriend who works at Blitz. It's great for team building don't you know :v:

(Akuma should totally come along.)
Maybe I will, when the game's done. Get back to work goddamnit!

Edit: Not even kidding! Deadline is Friday!

Akuma fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 29, 2011

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It turns out one of my high school friends was on the team that made Immortal Defense, which was received universally with rave reviews (particularly about the writing), but arrived on the market overpriced and before digital distribution really took off (2007). At heart they are writers and creative types - not marketing droids and are struggling to push more than a couple hundred copies after four years.

Is it too late to try and find a publisher for this game? We are exploring if investing in a graphics update/overhaul would make it worth while to put it up on steam, gog etc. to fund a sequel/spin off.

Who, or what position in the company should I be looking at to forward business plans to for funding for this sort of thing? Mojang is publishing Cobalt, but I imagine they're wading hip-deep through business proposals at this point.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 30, 2011

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Hadlock posted:

It turns out one of my high school friends was on the team that made Immortal Defense, which was received universally with rave reviews (particularly about the writing), but arrived on the market overpriced and before digital distribution really took off (2007). At heart they are writers and creative types - not marketing droids and are struggling to push more than a couple hundred copies after four years.

Is it too late to try and find a publisher for this game? We are exploring if investing in a graphics update/overhaul would make it worth while to put it up on steam, gog etc. to fund a sequel/spin off.

Who, or what position in the company should I be looking at to forward business plans to for funding for this sort of thing? Mojang is publishing Cobalt, but I imagine they're wading hip-deep through business proposals at this point.
Crowdsource that funding and stay in charge of your own destiny. If you can get the team back together, give the game a new shine (playing around with textures and adding "DX" or "HD" to the end of the title sometimes works, as the Tetris or Pacman guys about it), and republish it. New marketing push, new customers.

Or you can shop around for a publisher that will probably give you a less than stellar deal, if they even give you the time of day. Indie publishers with open schedules are few and far between, at least from my vantage point.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Or, hire someone to write the business documents for your game and pitch it. I'd suggest me but I'm actually not taking on new clients for publisher searches at this time.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
High Moon Studios moved me forward, got to take their 2-hour programming test whenever I schedule to take it :)

meanwhile my Riot comtact wants me to make a write-up on the basic OOP concepts and Data Structures he told me to look at a few weeks ago.

Things are finally moving again!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Hadlock posted:

Hasn't immortal defense already been on a pay-what-you want sale? I think that ship has more or less sailed at this point, unless it gets humble bundled.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Fangz posted:

Hasn't immortal defense already been on a pay-what-you want sale? I think that ship has more or less sailed at this point, unless it gets humble bundled.

It was on Game Giveaway of the Day a long time ago. I remember a thread raving about it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Fangz posted:

Nah, you could still totally swing an HD version. It would just need to look different enough in screenshots.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
x

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 18, 2017

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Got done with the High Moon "UI designer" test earlier, I feel I did really good so lets hope that Phone Interview is just around the corner!

EDIT: also, I am debating not getting a Main conference pass to GDC again this year and instead just go for an Expo Pass. sure the talks are wonderful, but usually the things I find interesting are also things I am in no position to work on currently. my travel buddy already decided she is going with an Expo pass themselves and I could really use to save the money myself.

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 1, 2011

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

Waterbed posted:

Anyone have any idea how long it usually takes to get a response to applying for a job? I've applied to maybe 15 places in the past week (Designer) if that helps. Some were before Thanksgiving. I've only worked at one place before so I don't really know the standard before I should give up all hope on someplace.

The process can take months. Some places get back to you right away, some take weeks, some never do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Vino posted:

The process can take months. Some places get back to you right away, some take weeks, some never do.