Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Neurophonic posted:

Why is it arbitrary? How often do you really need to go into the folder?

I think it's arbitrary because the Library is a part of the User documents hierarchy just like the Documents folder, Downloads, Music, etc. It's the place where helper files for your user's applications go. Audio plug-ins, for example. Why create the need for an extra, out-of-place step (come on, Go To Folder?) to open it?

But I'm a dinosaur, and change bothers me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

lord funk posted:

I think it's arbitrary because the Library is a part of the User documents hierarchy just like the Documents folder, Downloads, Music, etc. It's the place where helper files for your user's applications go. Audio plug-ins, for example. Why create the need for an extra, out-of-place step (come on, Go To Folder?) to open it?

But I'm a dinosaur, and change bothers me.
It's so stupid people can't muss anything up accidentally. (Also it cleans things up for 80% of users who will never need to go into the folder. Why have it sitting there visible if I never use it?) Windows has been hiding system files by default for years. It's also relatively simple and painless to access the library if and when you need to.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

It's so stupid people can't muss anything up accidentally. (Also it cleans things up for 80% of users who will never need to go into the folder. Why have it sitting there visible if I never use it?) Windows has been hiding system files by default for years. It's also relatively simple and painless to access the library if and when you need to.

And for those who know it's missing and want to change that: chflags nohidden ~/Library

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Mu Zeta posted:

I played around with Launchbar and reverse scrolling for 5 minutes and then reverted back to the way god intended. "natural" scrolling makes no sense at all if you use a mouse.

I tried very hard to get used to it. Unfortunately, my work computer is about as user configurable as a paperweight. So I reverted as to not stay in a constant state of confusion. I was just wondering what the general consensus was from the crowd here.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Postal posted:

I was just wondering what the general consensus was from the crowd here.
There isn't one. Use what feels best to you.

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
Anyone using a time tracking app?
Im interested to know how much time i waste!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time-track-pro-document-web/id429813050?mt=12
Time Track Pro any good?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does Netflix drive everyone's CPU up to ~4,000 - 5,000 rpms every time? Is there anything to do about this? My fan goes crazy and it's really annoying. It's generally in Chrome but it does the same across any browser. I don't have many other programs open and only 2 or 3 other tabs open.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Does Netflix drive everyone's CPU up to ~4,000 - 5,000 rpms every time? Is there anything to do about this? My fan goes crazy and it's really annoying. It's generally in Chrome but it does the same across any browser. I don't have many other programs open and only 2 or 3 other tabs open.

gfxCardStatus? it will keep you restricted to integrated graphics.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Silverlight is poo poo. I think Silverlight 5 brings hardware acceleration to the Mac version, but that's still in "release candidate" with a promised release before the end of the year.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

adm posted:

Yeah on my MBP it would switch to discrete graphics any time I used Chrome at all.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I decided to dive right in to natural scrolling, and after a few days it felt totally right. There are only two issues now: google maps, and using other peoples' computers. The latter is self-explanatory, but as to google maps, when scrolling to zoom in or out I always gently caress it up. I wish it could support pinch gestures (but if I try it just does safari's page zoom).

I don't like the hidden library folder, but at least that's an understandable change and is easily worked around.

Not showing the boot drive in Finder by default is probably a good idea (though the home folder should be there, IMO). I know too many people who just dump stuff there at the root level because "that's the hard drive where stuff goes!" That is one of many reasons I make sure to set up friends' and relatives' computers with a standard user account, and set up a separate not-for-everyday-use admin account. "If what you're doing requires the admin password, make drat sure it's something you should actually be doing!"

The thing I hate most about Lion is the scroll bars (or lack thereof) and app resume. Without scrolling, it is impossible to tell just how far through a document you are at a glance. Yes, I can turn on scroll bars permanently, but they're now a hideous half-assed mix between iOS ones and the old style. App resume is obnoxious as gently caress, but at least I can turn that off completely (with one big caveat*). When I open up some PDF instruction manuals to read in Preview and then quit when I'm finished, I don't need it to reopen all those instruction manuals when I try to view some jpeg three days later. What's worse, QuickTime Player seems to keep video files in "open" status when you quit it this way, such that I can quit QuickTime Player and then Lion will refuse to eject my media share because I have open files on it!

* The caveat: the Dock remembers recently opened documents that you can "resume" for each app that supports resume. This is separate from the app's "recent documents" menu item, such that you can clear the recent documents menu (or set the system preference to remember 0 recent documents) but the Dock menu will still show a list of all the documents you opened lately. I don't need loving QuickTime player to permanently show a list of por-- err, tv shows that I've been watching with no way whatsoever to clear it! It takes a bunch of terminal commands to reset and then disable this "feature," and you have to do it individually for every app affected (is apps that support resume).

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Silverlight is poo poo. I think Silverlight 5 brings hardware acceleration to the Mac version, but that's still in "release candidate" with a promised release before the end of the year.

Microsoft is also no longer developing Silverlight after version 5, so there’s that.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hasn't Silverlight been EOLed?
Oops. Beaten

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is there any way to have Natural Scrolling for my trackpads, but old-style scrolling for my mouse wheel?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

adm posted:

Awesome, thanks for all the info everyone. This is working well so far.

Another question: With my MBP, my wifi sometimes takes upwards of 5 minutes to connect to my home or work networks when I bring it out of sleep. This is whether I just leave it alone or actually go up to the icon in the corner and either select the network name from the dropdown list or manually go into "Join Other Network," click "Show Network," and select it from there. It doesn't even have the "scanning" animation, it just doesn't do anything at all no matter how many times I select it. Eventually it will connect, but that's really annoying if I have to clock in at work and I'm just sitting there for 5 minutes waiting for my computer to get its act together.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Natural scrolling took me about a week for acclimatization, after that I can't use other people's computers. That's really the only downside, when I try to "drive" the projector's Windows machine for our weekly meeting, I always spend two seconds scrolling madly in the wrong direction.

Also a question about Keynote: every so often it is telling me that an update from 5.0 to 5.1 is available, and I should click on Software Update. But then Update tells me there is nothing available for my system! The hell?!?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mdemone posted:

Also a question about Keynote: every so often it is telling me that an update from 5.0 to 5.1 is available, and I should click on Software Update. But then Update tells me there is nothing available for my system! The hell?!?
Did you buy it through the App Store?

5.1 most certainly is the latest release:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Is there a way to turn off mouse acceleration on a USB mouse but not on a Macbook trackpad & Magic Trackpad? Been having fun playing Saint's Row 3 on OnLive, but OnLive doesn't seem to disable mouse acceleration at all, making aiming nigh-impossible :sigh:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Did you buy it through the App Store?

5.1 most certainly is the latest release:

No, it was an old iWork version copied over from an old machine. Maybe that's what is boggling it. It's build 754 if that matters.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Choadmaster posted:

* The caveat: the Dock remembers recently opened documents that you can "resume" for each app that supports resume. This is separate from the app's "recent documents" menu item, such that you can clear the recent documents menu (or set the system preference to remember 0 recent documents) but the Dock menu will still show a list of all the documents you opened lately. I don't need loving QuickTime player to permanently show a list of por-- err, tv shows that I've been watching with no way whatsoever to clear it! It takes a bunch of terminal commands to reset and then disable this "feature," and you have to do it individually for every app affected (is apps that support resume).

Try (Apple menu) -> Recent Items -> Clear Menu?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
That doesn't work either.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

mdemone posted:

Natural scrolling took me about a week for acclimatization, after that I can't use other people's computers. That's really the only downside, when I try to "drive" the projector's Windows machine for our weekly meeting, I always spend two seconds scrolling madly in the wrong direction.

Lion on a Macbook Air at home. Snow Leopard on an iMac with a Magic Mouse at work. I'm now bi-directional. :c00l:

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

feedmyleg posted:

Awesome, thanks for all the info everyone. This is working well so far.

Another question: With my MBP, my wifi sometimes takes upwards of 5 minutes to connect to my home or work networks when I bring it out of sleep. This is whether I just leave it alone or actually go up to the icon in the corner and either select the network name from the dropdown list or manually go into "Join Other Network," click "Show Network," and select it from there. It doesn't even have the "scanning" animation, it just doesn't do anything at all no matter how many times I select it. Eventually it will connect, but that's really annoying if I have to clock in at work and I'm just sitting there for 5 minutes waiting for my computer to get its act together.

Have you done all your software updates? Didn't apple push out a EFI update a week ago that was suppose to resolve these issues?

Have you tried turning your airport on an off when you wake your computer up and its trying to connect? I know that when i had that issue doing that helped. Also, try putting your own DNS servers in under advanced network settings as well. If i remember correctly i used to have that same issue but putting in googles DNS numbers on the computer side resolved it.

Best of luck to ya, i know this airport issues is a common one so if you dont get it figured out soon id head to a genius.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm looking for a "To Do" app recommendation that meets the following requirements:

Has an iOS version (cross posted in iOS apps thread)
Syncs between all application instances
Allows me to tag or categorize ToDos
Pushes reminders and/or alerts to all devices
Allows me to snooze reminders and/or alerts

Any suggestions? (As an FYI, I have tried Producteev however I could not get push alerts on any device and the iOS did not sync well enough)

Thanks!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bonzaisushi posted:

Have you done all your software updates? Didn't apple push out a EFI update a week ago that was suppose to resolve these issues?

Wait, you mean I'm not supposed to ignore those for weeks at a time?

Worked great, thanks!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

dexter6 posted:

I'm looking for a "To Do" app recommendation that meets the following requirements:

Have you tried the stock Reminders app? Does all of that. Syncs with iCal via iCloud push.

The one caveat, which I'd certainly expect Apple to fix soon, is that you have to use both apps in some instances. Reminders can't set a due date (but will recognize one set by iCal); iCal can't set an alarm other than the due date (but will recognize one set by Reminders).

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
I did some searching in the thread for this issue, but since it is such a small sample group with this issue I haven't found much here or in the Apple Support Discussion.

The issue deals with iChat 6.0.1 (on 10.7.2) being able to video chat with PC AIM users (~version 7 - 7.5).

iChat to iChat works
AIM PC to AIM PC works

But trying to do iChat to AIM PC or AIM PC to iChat the video call on the iChat side just says the person has declined the invite and on the AIM PC side it just says the invite timed out.

This was on a client's site but has been reproduced on other systems in my office.
I have:

- Turned SSL off on the Mac
- Opened the firewall on both machines
- Turned off "Allow AOL to relay video chats"

Nothing I have done changes this. Same exact results.

Has anyone else run into this?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

dexter6 posted:

Has an iOS version (cross posted in iOS apps thread)
Syncs between all application instances
Allows me to tag or categorize ToDos
Pushes reminders and/or alerts to all devices
Allows me to snooze reminders and/or alerts

Any suggestions? (As an FYI, I have tried Producteev however I could not get push alerts on any device and the iOS did not sync well enough)

Thanks!

Wunderlist is what I use for making to-do list. I'm pretty sure it has an OS X client also.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."

serebralassazin posted:

Wunderlist is what I use for making to-do list. I'm pretty sure it has an OS X client also.

seconding wunderlist for a todo app

Jammer Jones
Jul 11, 2002

Member of the Yomiko Readman Fanboy Army!
Does anyone know off hand how much of a difference the MAS version of 1Password compared to the normal one? I have a option for picking it up for the 24.99 price on the MAS or using a previous version upgrade pricing for both OSX and Windows version for 22 dollars

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Right now it's not significantly different. However it is very likely 1Password 4 will be MAS-only and more expensive upon release. If you buy the MAS version now, you'll be able upgrade to 1Password 4 for free.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Just to make sure, I can completely reinstall Lion via the internet on an early-2011 MBP, right? I'm getting an SSD later this week, and I want to do a fresh install, since I'm pulling the included HDD (for the time being). All of my stuff is backed up via Time Machine, so I just plan on copying over my media and documents.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

Have you tried the stock Reminders app? Does all of that. Syncs with iCal via iCloud push.

The one caveat, which I'd certainly expect Apple to fix soon, is that you have to use both apps in some instances. Reminders can't set a due date (but will recognize one set by iCal); iCal can't set an alarm other than the due date (but will recognize one set by Reminders).

You can set a due date, you just have to go back into the event you create on the phone and then select a date due. The thing it's lacking is tags. You can put in notes, but even in ical you only see them when you bring up the reminder. The thing I like the most though is location alerts.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

surrender posted:

Just to make sure, I can completely reinstall Lion via the internet on an early-2011 MBP, right?
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the only Macs that can do Internet Recovery with a blank drive (relying on EFI only) are still the 2011 Air and Mini. Other models still require the recovery partition to already be present, if they can do it at all. I would love to be wrong though, since that would make restoring my iMac much easier.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the only Macs that can do Internet Recovery with a blank drive (relying on EFI only) are still the 2011 Air and Mini. Other models still require the recovery partition to already be present, if they can do it at all. I would love to be wrong though, since that would make restoring my iMac much easier.
You are incorrect, there was a software update to patch in Internet Recovery for earlier 2011 machines. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Jammer Jones posted:

Does anyone know off hand how much of a difference the MAS version of 1Password compared to the normal one? I have a option for picking it up for the 24.99 price on the MAS or using a previous version upgrade pricing for both OSX and Windows version for 22 dollars

I also asked this on the last page if you want to see a couple more responses.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

surrender posted:

Just to make sure, I can completely reinstall Lion via the internet on an early-2011 MBP, right? I'm getting an SSD later this week, and I want to do a fresh install, since I'm pulling the included HDD (for the time being). All of my stuff is backed up via Time Machine, so I just plan on copying over my media and documents.
Early 2011 MBPs don't have the capability, but you can use a 1GB+ USB thumbstick to do the same. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848

edit: Yes there was an EFI update to enable it on earlier models. The thumbstick is still an option if you haven't used installed the EFI update.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: Apple just released Safari v.5.1.2 via Software Update. No tech support note yet. :siren:

Apple posted:

This update contains various improvements, including fixes that:

• Improve stability

• Address issues that could cause hangs and excessive memory usage

• Address issues that could cause webpages to flash white

• Allow PDFs to be displayed within web content

Shows up as an update in Snow Leopard and Lion.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Apple just released Safari v.5.1.2 via Software Update. No tech support note yet. :siren:

Shows up as an update in Snow Leopard and Lion.

Argh is this why my software update is going so slowly? I've been without proper internet for more than a month and just got it back this morning. Trying to pull down about 10 software updates and its going at 200kbps.

I hope it's that, and not my wholesale provider having the shitiest backhaul in the universe (probably true)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Finally I don't have to switch browsers to view or even just download certain papers.