Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What was the general reception to the Red Letter Media reviews on theforce.net? I'm honestly curious how much people deluded themselves into defending the movies.

One fan's reation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZx-GqIPBcc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gianthogweed posted:

One fan's reation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZx-GqIPBcc

I was fully expecting this to be a "NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Was that the same guy who tried to rebut the review but it became apparent he wasn't really paying attention to it or wasn't understanding the criticism. And then it was revealed that he named his son Anakin so he wasn't exactly unbiased.

I think we're getting our fanboys mixed up.

The guy who named his son Anakin did five parts of a seven part rebuttal (I think) he never finished, while the 100 page one was some 'big time poster' on stardestroyer.net.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The 'rebuttal' was posted on stardestroyer.net, not theforce. Here's the link to the thread and the .pdf (via megaupload)

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=146990

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IFA1O2BI

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Xenophon posted:

The 'rebuttal' was posted on stardestroyer.net, not theforce. Here's the link to the thread and the .pdf (via megaupload)

I tried but I could not get through more than a few pages. That was an extraordinary concentrated dose of :smug: and :goonsay:.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

UncleSmoothie posted:

I tried but I could not get through more than a few pages. That was an extraordinary concentrated dose of :smug: and :goonsay:.

Yeah, but you know it got him mad laid.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Oh my goodness gracious me...
I'm a gay man's golden fantasy...
Programmed for homo-ecstasy...
Ten million forms of gay positioning.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Oh my goodness gracious me...
I'm a gay man's golden fantasy...
Programmed for homo-ecstasy...
Ten million forms of gay positioning.

Two warring fandoms united at last? Makes more sense than some of the EU any way.

Xenophon posted:

I just skim read some of that 108 page rebuttal. :psyduck:

gently caress me...the guy certainly watched the review, but he drat well didn't understand what RLM was getting at, at any time.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 23, 2011

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm gonna need links for this, as much as I love Star Wars, I love the schadenfruende feeling from reading about a disillusioned fan lose his poo poo over a review.

It's not even that interesting, he just goes on for a hundred pages about how the RLM review's sarcasm isn't factually correct and how people should read the books. In bullet points.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

NovemberMike posted:

It's not even that interesting, he just goes on for a hundred pages about how the RLM review's sarcasm isn't factually correct and how people should read the books. In bullet points.

This isn't any kind of exaggeration. One point from the rebuttal that vividly stuck in my mind was how Plinkett's point about lightsaber fights in the prequels was invalid because Plinkett claimed that the final duel between Obi Wan and Anakin was 48 minutes long, when it really was only 20 minutes (or so) long :smug:

That's the level this guy argues on. He's condensed :spergin:

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.
If anyone wants to get in on the ground floor of a train wreck, someone has started a thread on TFN with the following opening post:

quote:

So I get the feeling that Karen Traviss's contributions to continuity are generally disliked in the community here, and I wanted some clarification on that.

It is her plots/characters that are disliked, right, not her writing? And following up on that - what exactly is disliked about her contributions?

I know that her Legacy of the Force tangents about Fett were disliked, but I never really thought it was any worse than the rest of the series.

---

Basically, what's the deal with Karen Traviss?

These always remain civil.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

DougieFFC posted:

If anyone wants to get in on the ground floor of a train wreck, someone has started a thread on TFN with the following opening post:

These always remain civil.

It's the signatures that are the real show. These are direct copypastes, complete with broken sentences:

-----signature-----
Only a Prime can defeat Vader and his Emperor.

-----signature-----
Meesa lovah the admins so mucha. Meesa love all da authors and theysa products!!! meessa lovsa big brother and da mods!!!! 3 million forever!!! woot l33t mandos woot
I love the Malevolence. Thanks to it, the "Noble Three Million" is in Non-canon Hell.
The

-----signature-----
"To some folks, the changes are no big deal. To others, George Lucas shot their dog, burned down their house and sold their grandma's false teeth for beer money."
"Insert random wittiness here."
Skeptic Class Star Wars Fan

-----signature-----
God Bless America, Israel, and President Obama
"Hell is truth seen too late." Thomas Hobbes
"This deal is getting worse all the time." Lando Calrissian

-----signature-----
Fleet Junkie.
Ex-Official Senator, Gilad Pellaeon Fan Thread.
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori. Semper Fidelis.
Silver Lannik™/Golden Ewok No-Prize/Statuette™ recipient.
Special Golden Ewok™ WARLORD Statuette (with 8km SSD plinth) recipient.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

God Bless America, Israel, and President Obama!

There's a poster there, or at least used to be, called Grand Admiral Jello. He was the most completely insufferable big-headed pompous rear end you can imagine, always made sure to write stuff like 'His Most Imperial Majesty the Imperator Palpatine I', and of course his signature were all Latin and Greek quotes. EDIT: aha, here it is from that thread:

-----signature-----
SPQR
παις Αθηναιας
"Dulcius urbe quid est" -Sulpicia Rufina
"Moribus antiquis res stat Romana virisque" -Ennius
"Pascisque imponere morem,parcere subjectis et debellare superbos" -Virgil

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 29, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Watch out, that man has won two awards. On the internet. One of them is gold!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

God Bless America, Israel, and President Obama!

There's a poster there, or at least used to be, called Grand Admiral Jello. He was the most completely insufferable big-headed pompous rear end you can imagine, always made sure to write stuff like 'His Most Imperial Majesty the Imperator Palpatine I', and of course his signature were all Latin and Greek quotes. EDIT: aha, here it is from that thread:

-----signature-----
SPQR
παις Αθηναιας
"Dulcius urbe quid est" -Sulpicia Rufina
"Moribus antiquis res stat Romana virisque" -Ennius
"Pascisque imponere morem,parcere subjectis et debellare superbos" -Virgil

When I'm waxing philosophical, I often consider the works of Hobbes and Calrissian

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
forum user "Bib Fortuna, Twi'lek" was the only good thing to come from those forums

well, that and the whole mod walk-out when the owner required personal information of TFN's mods and admins.

dr. pepper spray
May 5, 2009
-----signature-----
If you have any questions about Christianity and/or Jesus, I'd love to talk to you. Please PM me.
"Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved!" Acts 16:31
Yes, I am a sinner. So are you. We all have a Savior.

His username is "ObiWan506", for gently caress's sake.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Is there something about TFN that attracts evangelicalism teens? Or is Star Wars the safe and wholesome scifi (on account of its for kids)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, it's obviously better than Star Trek, with its focus on the blasphemies of science and technology.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bombadilillo posted:

Is there something about TFN that attracts evangelicalism teens? Or is Star Wars the safe and wholesome scifi (on account of its for kids)

It's the clear-cut morality of the series, plus Luke's focus on finding the good in Vader in RotJ plays into Christian notions of redemption.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

It's the clear-cut morality of the series, plus Luke's focus on finding the good in Vader in RotJ plays into Christian notions of redemption.

That make so much sense. How do they deal with Anakin and his Jesus analog virgin birth being you know evil beyond all reason.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Bombadilillo posted:

That make so much sense. How do they deal with Anakin and his Jesus analog virgin birth being you know evil beyond all reason.

By not pushing the analogy that far, basically. Anakin went evil because he strayed from the path of righteousness and then was no longer any sort of Jesus-analog.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Carnaticum posted:

When I'm waxing philosophical, I often consider the works of Hobbes and Calrissian

"All wealth is the product of labor." John Locke
"Having trouble with your droid?" Lando Calrissian

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So what religious sect does the CIS represent in crazy Fundie Christian Star Wars land?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Guys, Legos have gotten so cool! Saw this at a Lego store and had to have it (and it was cheaper than the Super Star Destroyer, which I still want)

Huge-rear end box:

four instruction manuals:

fuckton of parts:

finished a chunk of hull tonight:

Still trying to find some decent prices on the older collector sets. This one is Lego 10212.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

So what religious sect does the CIS represent in crazy Fundie Christian Star Wars land?

Muslims, like all bad guys.

I guess the Empire would be the liberals, since they seized power with a tyrant and killed off all the Jedi (Christians).

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 30, 2011

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

movax posted:

Guys, Legos have gotten so cool! Saw this at a Lego store and had to have it (and it was cheaper than the Super Star Destroyer, which I still want)

Huge-rear end box:

fuckton of parts:

Still trying to find some decent prices on the older collector sets. This one is Lego 10212.

That's pretty awesome. all i have is the Lego Star Wars Advent calender.

on a completely unrelated note, I was rereading Tales from the Empire, and in one of Michael Stackpole's stories, Corran Horn uses a false name, Eamon, which happens to be my actual name. Guess I don't need to make up a Star Wars name.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eamon_Yzalli

Beardless fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 30, 2011

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Is it just me or have a lot of the legos gone down in quality and pieces since they went to the clone wars style?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

movax posted:

Huge-rear end box:

fuckton of parts:

Holy hell...I remember having the smaller version of that when I was like 10. I think they've made bigger, complexer versions of the X-wing and Snowspeeder too.

The little kid in me sees "capacity for 20 passengers" and gets all giddy inside; I can only imagine having my Lego Y-wing pilot guy landing the thing and unloading a mix of Episode I battle droids and Imperial scouts into battle :3:

Have you finished it yet? Are the capacity specs talking about the Lego model itself or is it just touting "Essential Guide"-like specs?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Bombadilillo posted:

Is there something about TFN that attracts evangelicalism teens?

It's likely those are not "teens" and are 30+ year old nerds.

Religious fanaticism isn't limited by age.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Legos have pretty much gotten worse since they started, what with all their stupid bigarsed pieces and focus on playing with the drat things instead of on the actual building. I don't want to put together three pieces and fly around with my ridiculous clonewars whatever, I want to spend time building my X-wing and when I'm done, I want to be able to construct a house or a car out of the same pieces. [end legorant]

But, all that aside: Screw you guys, I own this thing! What you see under it is the manual. The brown thing in the cockpit is Chewie.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lego Super Star Destroyer? Is it any good?

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Former TFN mod here, and yes it definitely does. Both the guys who started it were evangelicals, and one of the old mods around 2001-2002 was a hardcore fundie and always ended his PMs/emails with "in Christ.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

The little kid in me sees "capacity for 20 passengers" and gets all giddy inside; I can only imagine having my Lego Y-wing pilot guy landing the thing and unloading a mix of Episode I battle droids and Imperial scouts into battle :3:

Have you finished it yet? Are the capacity specs talking about the Lego model itself or is it just touting "Essential Guide"-like specs?

Got one myself, as it's easily the most model like Lego SW set due to the lack of visible studs. There's no space inside the main hull for figures, due to all the gearing and such, though I guess it could be modded to have an interior.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
LEGO sets that are full of custom pieces suck. Most of the fun of LEGO is tearing it up and building new things.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JesustheDarkLord posted:

LEGO sets that are full of custom pieces suck. Most of the fun of LEGO is tearing it up and building new things.

Yeah this is my first set in awhile, and I think some of the larger "panel" type pieces are probably special for this/other "large" sets. Alas no, it won't fit 20 minifigures inside, but it came with 5 I think: Luke, Darth, stormtrooper and two random Imperial mooks.

The Lego SSD looks impressive in person; it is supposedly 49.5" long or something. The superstructure didn't look fun to build though...

BonHair: that collectors' edition Falcon is sexy, goddamn.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Hey so I was thinking about Star Wars for some reason and I am wondering how people learn to speak diverse, alien languages and incomprehensible robot beeps and boops as dirt farmers on desert planets and stuff. Considering C3PO is a language interpreter/diplomat droid I am assuming there isn't a translator thing they can put in their ears to know what wookie undulating throat sounds mean. Do people instead learn languages like Neo learned kung-fu? Is Rosetta Stone just really good in Star Wars? Or am I overthinking this stuff?

Xenophon posted:

This guy is loving angry. He has an insult at Stoklasa himself every other sentence. The RLM reviews were apparently taken very badly by some people. Apparently he also found the Plinkett character was implied to be a rapist rather than just a murderer (so we're all jerks for finding rape funny) and that hew as equally annoying as Jar Jar Banks. Also he spends 4 pages describing how Queen Aminalla was, in fact, a very deep and compelling character. So...

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 30, 2011

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lassitude posted:

Hey so I was thinking about Star Wars for some reason and I am wondering how people learn to speak diverse, alien languages and incomprehensible robot beeps and boops as dirt farmers on desert planets and stuff. Considering C3PO is a language interpreter/diplomat droid I am assuming there isn't a translator thing they can put in their ears to know what wookie undulating throat sounds mean. Do people instead learn languages like Neo learned kung-fu? Is Rosetta Stone just really good in Star Wars? Or am I overthinking this stuff?

I always thought that Luke didn't really know what R2 is beeping about, but having grown up around droids he probably is able to tell what set of whistles mean "sure", which beeps mean "no", which warbles mean "danger danger Luke Skywalker", etc. As far as I remember the only time Luke specifically replies to stuff R2 says is when he's in his X-wing, because you can see that the X-wing has a little screen that translates what R2 is saying.

Similarly I don't think it's too farfetched that Han can understand Wookiee having spent so much time around Chewie, especially when you consider that in Lucas' own backstory (which did not become part of the EU) Han always had a strong connection to Kashyyyk - he was originally supposed to have grown up there (as at one point was going to be shown in ROTS), and for a while Lucas even maintained that Han was married to a Wookiee (as I think the Han-character was in some of the earlier ANH drafts).

As to how other people understand Chewie and R2, who knows...although come to think of it, are there any scenes where people other than Han actually respond specifically to Chewie? Lando I think, but I'm not sure.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Man I want swome of those legos, But so expensive. Stupid having kids, making my not buy lego's.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Bombadilillo posted:

Man I want swome of those legos, But so expensive. Stupid having kids, making my not buy lego's.

Buy them the legos and help them put it together.

Best of both worlds.. considering they are younger than like 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Regnevelc posted:

Buy them the legos and help them put it together.

Best of both worlds.. considering they are younger than like 12.

3 over twelve, one thats under 2...but when she gets to like 5-6 I'm gonna be set!

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 30, 2011