Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

edit: nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Crowley posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on a rechargeable flashlight, preferably with a wall mount.

I've been looking at the obvious solution to my need - the Maglite - but I'm sure there are other options available that might be just as good or maybe even better.

I'd like the light to have the following features:
- Rechargable from a 110/240v plug.
- Wall mount.
- Water resistant - at least for heavy rains and splashes.
- At least 1 hour run time.

I'd like a decently bright light too if possible. Price matters less than quality.

Get one from Pelican. They do have wall rechargable lights, and their lights are the industry standard for dangerous atmospheres and waterproofness. On ships every engineer has one in their pocket.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

threeskin posted:

Does anybody have an suggestions for wallets? I'm partial to leather.

Not leather, but I got a friend of mine a Mighty Wallet for Christmas last year and he enjoys it. I had heard good things about them at the time.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

pksage posted:

Not leather, but I got a friend of mine a Mighty Wallet for Christmas last year and he enjoys it. I had heard good things about them at the time.

I've had mine for over five years, its fantastic and it looks nice, I get comments on it all the time.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

threeskin posted:

I love my Tumi wallet.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Etrips posted:

I love my Tumi wallet.

It's weird to say that about a wallet but I love my Tumi as well.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I just tried an Aeropress, and it was really good. Zero bitterness, which is helping me transition into drinking straight coffee without any milk or creamer.

Also for the past several months I've only been drinking one mug of relatively weak instant coffee a day. So after two scoops of actual coffee in the Aeropress today, I now feel kind of high. :holy::hf::stare:

Thanks, thread.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

threeskin posted:

If you dig Pulp Fiction you cant go wrong with the Bad Motherfucker.

I've had mine for a few years and its been good to me. Considering its a relatively cheap gimmicky thing its built and designed well. Gets a lot of comments from cashiers too.

I got the embroidered one. http://www.bmfwallets.com/

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
For the heavy sleepers who need a great wake-up solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-Heavy-Duty-Bed-Vibrator/dp/B0001ACGMO

This poo poo will wake you up from the dead. Its sound decibel output is about equivalent to a jet engine. I love it. Make sure to place it between your mattress and boxspring.

Aesop
Dec 25, 2005
I need some recommendations on fun little tech gadgets / toys that would be appropriate for 6-10 year olds. On the cheaper side would be better, but if it's solid I'm willing to spend a fair amount.

I started running the computer lab and teaching computer classes at an elementary school, and I really need to make the room a bit more interesting. Started with posters and such, but some cool little gadgets would be fun to make it more interesting. And they are in elementary school - the gooniest things can still be cool to future cheerleaders and jocks, it's awesome.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Two requests:

First, I'd like some comfy boots for city walking. Durable, good in all weather, looks good.

Second: say that on rainy days I'd rather go with a trench coat and hat than an umbrella. Is there any hat for this purpose that won't make me look like a douche?

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

dancehall posted:

Two requests:

First, I'd like some comfy boots for city walking. Durable, good in all weather, looks good.

I got these and they are my best shoe purchase ever.

It's a leather boot with a nike running shoe sole, so awesome.

I'm not sure, but i believe they are called the Nike Lunar ACG

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dancehall posted:

Second: say that on rainy days I'd rather go with a trench coat and hat than an umbrella. Is there any hat for this purpose that won't make me look like a douche?

I'd suggest the bonnet for a mere $5. http://www.wdrake.com/WalterDrake/S...r:referralID=NA

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

dancehall posted:

If this is a trenchcoat, then you want a fedora, or even possibly a bowler (depending on the style of the coat).

The key is that unless you are one of the few men that look good in one of these hats, then you are going to look like a douche no matter what.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Morpheus posted:

If this is a trenchcoat, then you want a fedora, or even possibly a bowler (depending on the style of the coat).

The key is that unless you are one of the few men that look good in one of these hats, then you are going to look like a douche no matter what.

Man, there's gotta be a Tumblr called YesNoFedora that just has pictures of men looking great or terrible in hats.

Nomadism
Nov 29, 2011
For all the survivalists out there, this product is really useful for those "uh oh" moments.

Swedish Firesteel

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsforhim/754d/

Thinkgeek actually came out with something useful. It even works in rain and snow (and apparently lasts for 12,000 strikes...)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Crowley posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on a rechargeable flashlight, preferably with a wall mount.

I've been looking at the obvious solution to my need - the Maglite - but I'm sure there are other options available that might be just as good or maybe even better.

I'd like the light to have the following features:
- Rechargable from a 110/240v plug.
- Wall mount.
- Water resistant - at least for heavy rains and splashes.
- At least 1 hour run time.

I'd like a decently bright light too if possible. Price matters less than quality.

TFR has a big thread on flashlights and there are a few dudes who really know flashlights in there. Ask in here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801258

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Nomadism posted:

For all the survivalists out there, this product is really useful for those "uh oh" moments.

Swedish Firesteel

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsforhim/754d/

Thinkgeek actually came out with something useful. It even works in rain and snow (and apparently lasts for 12,000 strikes...)

This is not really a thinkgeek thing. It's been on the market for years.
It rules though.

e: The best kindling for this is a cotton-ball covered in vaseline. The vaseline keeps the inside of the ball dry, and the wicking effect of the cotton keeps it burning for a good 3-4 minutes.

Prathm has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Nov 29, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A 9 volt battery and a wad of steel wool make a pretty good firestarter too.

I would like a recommendation for an iPhone 4 compatible clock radio thingy. I've seen a good looking Sony one, but the reviews said the brightness of the time was off the hook, and I would prefer a dimmer display. I would also like something relatively small. Sound quality is not that important, as it will just be used for the alarm.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Prathm posted:

This is not really a thinkgeek thing. It's been on the market for years since the iron age.
It rules though.

Kidding, sort of. The actual swedish firesteel is a brand name. They're fantastic, although not terribly useful unless you can pack tinder.

Hypnolobster has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Nov 29, 2011

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
There have been several straight razor recommendations way back in this thread (if I remember correctly), but how about electric razors for us girly-men who are too lazy to get our poo poo together for a straight razor? Preferably something better than the medium-price option at Walmart, which is probably what I've been using.

One Arm Manny
May 17, 2008

Prathm posted:

... The best kindling for this is a cotton-ball covered in vaseline. The vaseline keeps the inside of the ball dry, and the wicking effect of the cotton keeps it burning for a good 3-4 minutes.

Never tried this, I have used dryer lint with great results, but it sounds like this might be a better solution.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm considering going with an artificial Christmas tree this year. It may or may not actually happen, but on the off chance I decide to go ahead with it, what sorts of things should I look out for?

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

My Steelseries Siberia v2 headphones came in the mail today!

So far they blow my cheap Sennheisers out of the water. For $90 they're pretty drat good. I think they might've been on sale on Black Friday but it's back to $90 now.

Pros:
- Very nice, balanced sound. The bass doesn't drown out the high sounds and vice versa.
- Thick, heavy bass. I listen to house and electronic music so bass is important to me and these 'phones definitely deliver.
- Doubles as a gaming headset with an extendable microphone that is pretty inconspicuous when retracted.
- Super comfy, I barely even notice it on my head when I'm listening.
- The cord isn't very long so you can use it with your iPod/Zune/whatever in your pocket without having a crazy long cord dangling out. It comes with a pretty long extension cord if that isn't enough.

Cons:
- Kind of heavy, but I guess that's to be expected since it has the microphone built in and everything.
- The cans are really big. I didn't notice until I looked in a mirror, but I have a smallish head so it looks a little goofy on me.

Rotten Punk
Nov 11, 2009

Nathan Explosion posted:

If you dig Pulp Fiction you cant go wrong with the Bad Motherfucker.

I've had mine for a few years and its been good to me. Considering its a relatively cheap gimmicky thing its built and designed well. Gets a lot of comments from cashiers too.

I got the embroidered one. http://www.bmfwallets.com/

If anyone is going to buy one of these, the same company from that link also sells the same wallets on eBay for quite a bit cheaper.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

One Arm Manny posted:

Never tried this, I have used dryer lint with great results, but it sounds like this might be a better solution.

Same thing, dryer lint is mostly comprised of loose cotton fibers.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm looking for a way to transport homemade soup to work for my lunch breaks. So I guess I'm looking for a soup thermos. It needs to be sturdy enough to withstand a bit of shaking, but it needs to be so well insulated that my soup's still piping hot when I sit down for lunch! Any suggestions?

EDIT: Rock on. Two solid recommendations. Thanks guys.

melon cat has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Dec 1, 2011

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm considering going with an artificial Christmas tree this year. It may or may not actually happen, but on the off chance I decide to go ahead with it, what sorts of things should I look out for?

Get a real tree this year and wait until the artificial trees get clearanced. I decided to spend the 60 bucks or whatever on a full price tree and it was a piece of garbage. I could have bought a real tree and then spent 60 bucks after Christmas on a super nice one that was 75% off.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

pksage posted:

There have been several straight razor recommendations way back in this thread (if I remember correctly), but how about electric razors for us girly-men who are too lazy to get our poo poo together for a straight razor? Preferably something better than the medium-price option at Walmart, which is probably what I've been using.

I assume Braun shavers are the best because they're the most expensive - perhaps wrongly.

Their products are far more expensive than I would have expected, which is why I've asked for a Series 3 for Christmas:

http://www.braun.com/uk/male-grooming/series-shavers/series-3/series-3-models.html

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

melon cat posted:

I'm looking for a way to transport homemade soup to work for my lunch breaks. So I guess I'm looking for a soup thermos. It needs to be sturdy enough to withstand a bit of shaking, but it needs to be so well insulated that my soup's still piping hot when I sit down for lunch! Any suggestions?

I asked the exact same thing on page 57, check there :)

e. I ended up buying the Primus Lunch Jug, mostly because I have really good experiences with their travel mug. I don't know if they're as readily available if you're outside Scandinavia.

Here is some sort of travel report someone wrote.

MIDWIFE CRISIS has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Nov 30, 2011

Maxwedge
May 7, 2007

melon cat posted:

I have a Stanley Bolt.
It holds 20 oz. Which is enough to hold a can of Campbell Chunky/Progresso soups.

The trick in keeping the food hot is to preheat the thermos with boiling water for a few minutes before putting in the soup. These work great for boiling water.
I usually prepare my lunch at 7:00 a.m. and by noon it's hot enough that you have to blow on the soup to eat. And by 5:00 p.m. it's still warm enough to eat.

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.

Aesop posted:

tech stuff

Like this?

http://www.makershed.com/category_s/59.htm?searching=Y&sort=1&cat=59&show=150&page=1

The bristlebot kit is pretty easy. Some of these might look scary but many are inexpensive and fun to play with.

If you want just the toys already made I'd suggest the Discovery Channel store. http://store.discovery.com/

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

threeskin posted:

I got a wallet from Saddleback Leather based on one of the previous threads. Nothing like a 100 year warranty on your wallet! Extremely simple but nice looking. Also made me get rid of all the unnecessary crap I'd been carrying around. Pretty stiff for the first couple months though.

This is the small one after a year. Notice that even though it only holds about 4 cards per side it's not the thinnest wallet in the world. I was amazed at the number of layers of leather you can see around the bottom and sides!

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

swampface posted:

I got a wallet from Saddleback Leather based on one of the previous threads. Nothing like a 100 year warranty on your wallet! Extremely simple but nice looking. Also made me get rid of all the unnecessary crap I'd been carrying around. Pretty stiff for the first couple months though.

This is the small one after a year. Notice that even though it only holds about 4 cards per side it's not the thinnest wallet in the world. I was amazed at the number of layers of leather you can see around the bottom and sides!

I got the medium. It's very stiff right off the bat (mine's only a couple weeks old) and pretty drat thick which is slightly disappointing but overall I love it. Great wallet. I also dumped a bunch of poo poo as well.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
How about a good electric tea kettle where I can choose the temperature? Boiling water makes lovely green tea.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Uncrate has their own wallet-tag:

http://uncrate.com/style/wallets/

I have this, which fits perfectly in a front pocket:

http://uncrate.com/stuff/leffot-fold-wallet/

The big one holds credic-cards as well. (I just ripped off the design and had my mom make one, instead of paying 100$ like a chump :smug:)

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

The Light Eternal posted:

How about a good electric tea kettle where I can choose the temperature? Boiling water makes lovely green tea.

I ended up buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A5NFQA/ref=oh_o04_s00_i06_details

It has a dial knob for temperature control but it lacks specific degree settings. Having it set towards the top of the green part of the dial will produce 170 degree water, which is where I have it set for when I use my Aeropress. It's a decent kettle for the price.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

The Light Eternal posted:

I got the PINO Digital Kettle Pro a while back. Works great for tea. Note if you set it to 180 degrees it'll float up to 186 or so after the heater shuts off, I just set it to 172 or so and it works perfect.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

7734 posted:

I'm looking for an android tablet.
Specifically something that is under $300 (cheaper the better).
7" or 8" multi-touch screen.
All I plan on using it for is occasional e-book reading and general web use like Facebook, Wikipedia, Youtube, and the SA forums.
Not interested in the Kindle Fire because I could care less about all the Amazon stuff. Also have no intention of gaming on it.
Basically a simple as possible tablet without it being a complete POS.

If you dont mind moving to a 10.1 you should get the HP Touchpad at the $149 sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

swampface posted:

I like my medium wallet, but things in the middle card slot tend to crack so now I only keep paper cards and low priority stuff in it.

• Locked thread