Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Depending on your carrier (cough Sprint), you will always need at least root access to remove sypware/bloatware like Carrier IQ and non removable apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005
Does anyone else think it's ridiculous that there's about half a dozen ICS alpha builds for the Nexus S? It'd make too much sense for them to collaborate to put out one good stable AOSP rom, in a much faster timeframe. Instead we have a bunch of buggy alphas of the essentially the same thing.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MoxSquad posted:

Does anyone else think it's ridiculous that there's about half a dozen ICS alpha builds for the Nexus S? It'd make too much sense for them to collaborate to put out one good stable AOSP rom, in a much faster timeframe. Instead we have a bunch of buggy alphas of the essentially the same thing.

That's because actual developers haven't released a buggy, non functional piece of poo poo yet. What you're seeing on XDA right now are just a bunch of script kiddies force feeding their phones with nothing but guess work. Even if you got all those "devs" releasing non functional ROM's to work together you'd still have a non functional ROM but with a bigger name.

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green

Dominoes posted:

I ran through the same thought process recently.

1: As of the 2.3.4 update, you can no longer root the Incredible

2: You can get around this bug by clearing the cache for Facebook and HTC messaging/email apps.

Regarding point 1, this isn't true. I just rooted my Incredible a few days ago after downloading the 2.3.4 update, following this process: http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/427344-2-3-4-root-downgrade-s-off.html

It's fully rooted, S-OFF and running CyanogenMod.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Are there any virus scanners out there for Windows PCs that can scan .apk files for Android viruses? Like some on-demand scanner not some whole antivirus suite.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm honestly shocked that the CM team has made this much progress with ICS in so little time.

Keyan got a Sensation to boot into ICS and it even has working data and cellular.

Koushik already has an alpha daily driver in ROM Manager for the Nexus S. :psyduck:

Both are 100% AOSP source and not lovely SDK zombie ROMs.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

sarah synonymous posted:

Regarding point 1, this isn't true. I just rooted my Incredible a few days ago after downloading the 2.3.4 update, following this process: http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/427344-2-3-4-root-downgrade-s-off.html

It's fully rooted, S-OFF and running CyanogenMod.
Thank you! Using clockwork worked; I now have a Superuser Permission app. Android is now tell me there's a system update. Will doing it break my phone? How do I remove icons from uninstalled apps? Any Verizon apps that deleting will cause my phone to break? I tried uninstalling some unecessarya apps like Flicr, VCAST, Skype, Verizon hotspot etc, but they come back when I reboot. This is with both Titanium and Root Explorer.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 28, 2011

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm honestly shocked that the CM team has made this much progress with ICS in so little time.

Keyan got a Sensation to boot into ICS and it even has working data and cellular.

So excited about this. CM7 and MIUI both have issues on the Sensation. ICS is my last hope for a non-Sense ROM.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Civil posted:

So excited about this. CM7 and MIUI both have issues on the Sensation. ICS is my last hope for a non-Sense ROM.

My only issue with CM7 on the Sensation is the abysmal battery life but yeah, I'm pretty excited about that post too.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

b0nes posted:

OK my phone has been acting weird for a while. I have a Samsung Vibrant, running CyanogenMod 7. Now when I have freshly done a wipe, the thing runs like a dream. Menus open and close with no problem, no delays or anything when opening the dialer or gallery. I can't say how many apps I have on my phone, but usually when I load about 35-40 different apps, my phone basically becomes almost unusable.

I will press the dialer button and the phone will take 10-12 seconds to open up, the gallery app takes maybe 30 seconds to pull all the pictures up, or some of the pictures don't even load at all. Just horrible lag all around. But as soon as I wipe and reboot everything is smooth as silk again. I wonder if it is the amount of apps or maybe a certain app I am running that is messing things up.

Anyone got any insight on this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

b0nes posted:

Anyone got any insight on this?
I don't have anything specific to point to but what if you wipe everything and don't load up on apps for a while? Does it ever slow down in that situation? Maybe only put on the bare minimum of what you need and see how that goes for you.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I just got an Epic 4g (galaxy s2) and it's a pretty great phone hardware wise, except for the screen resolution.

I'm planning on rooting it, but I'm wondering about one thing in particular. Right now when you go to Contacts every person's info is ridiculously large. I figure it has to do with the low screen resolution and large screen size, but would rooting fix this problem or is it a hardware limitation?

edit: not just rooting, but a custom rom and all that as well. Most likely MIUI

Jewce fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 29, 2011

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Koushik already has an alpha daily driver in ROM Manager for the Nexus S. :psyduck:

Both are 100% AOSP source and not lovely SDK zombie ROMs.

Fascinate is basically 100% as of today :smug:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/9687-rom-aosp-ics-extreme-alphalulz-v2-1118/

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Pudgygiant posted:

Fascinate is basically 100% as of today :smug:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/9687-rom-aosp-ics-extreme-alphalulz-v2-1118/

I regret giving up my Fascinate :(

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Codiusprime posted:

I regret giving up my Fascinate :(

It truly is the wrt54g of phones

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Pudgygiant posted:

It truly is the wrt54g of phones

Actually the HD2 is, which started out as a loving Windows Mobile phone.

The HD2 runs Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional, Unofficially: Android, MeeGo, Ubuntu, Windows Phone 7, and there's already an ICS port for it too.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 29, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

scarymonkey posted:

Actually the HD2 is, which started out as a loving Windows Mobile phone.

The HD2 runs Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional, Unofficially: Android, MeeGo, Ubuntu, Windows Phone 7, and there's already an ICS port for it too.

This this this. It continually amazes me what people continually do with the Leo.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
Has anyone figured out an LCD density setting that keeps things proportional on a 4" 800x480 screen?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Two questions: One, is this Android Police guide a good, relevant tutorial? And two, will flashing CM7 to my Atrix make it stop rebooting randomly? :(

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Manky posted:

Two questions: One, is this Android Police guide a good, relevant tutorial? And two, will flashing CM7 to my Atrix make it stop rebooting randomly? :(

Edit: Ha, I'm dumb. You mentioned your phone, other people here can help you!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LoSesMC posted:

Has anyone figured out an LCD density setting that keeps things proportional on a 4" 800x480 screen?

That would be about 233 DPI. 230-240 DPI should work, but your phone should already have the proper DPI.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
So I flashed Warm 2.3 release 1 on my Evo 3D, and why can't I download all of my apps? I did some googling, and the issue is with cache filling up, so why is it doing that on Warm when everything was just fine on stock?

EDIT:

to clarify, I rooted using HTC's official bootloader unlocker, and installed TWRP via fastboot to recovery, used TWRP to wipe everything, formatted the SD card, and then even ran the warm rom teams special formatter image, and then I flashed warm rom (this was all from twrp launched from fastboot, which I know isn't totally necessary since Warm uses the stock kernel)

From there, just signed into my account, and once they start downloading from backup on the market, cache just fills up and it fails after a couple of apps finish installing.

Tatsujin fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 29, 2011

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Tatsujin posted:

So I flashed Warm 2.3 release 1 on my Evo 3D, and why can't I download all of my apps? I did some googling, and the issue is with cache filling up, so why is it doing that on Warm when everything was just fine on stock?

EDIT:

to clarify, I rooted using HTC's official bootloader unlocker, and installed TWRP via fastboot to recovery, used TWRP to wipe everything, formatted the SD card, and then even ran the warm rom teams special formatter image, and then I flashed warm rom (this was all from twrp launched from fastboot, which I know isn't totally necessary since Warm uses the stock kernel)

From there, just signed into my account, and once they start downloading from backup on the market, cache just fills up and it fails after a couple of apps finish installing.

It's a bug with the newest Market. Honestly, your best bet is to back up user apps and app data with Titanium Backup, flash, and then restore them because the alternative is letting the cache fill up, booting back to recovery, wiping the cache, and then going back to install the rest of your apps one by one.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

Kreeblah posted:

It's a bug with the newest Market. Honestly, your best bet is to back up user apps and app data with Titanium Backup, flash, and then restore them because the alternative is letting the cache fill up, booting back to recovery, wiping the cache, and then going back to install the rest of your apps one by one.

Ah, well that's annoying, but I'm glad to hear it isn't an issue with the ROM, per se.

Well, I was planning on starting over (I had to wipe anyway using HTC's method), so I'll just disable auto-update in market, and do it one by one unfortunately :\

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
If anyone's interested there's an ICS rom for the Desire HD/Inspire 4g being worked on I somehow missed it all along until yesterday. Not close to a daily driver yet but I tried it out for a taste. I used the "criminal" build posted in the thread like 4am 11/28, I think it's got some more fixes than the alpha 2 in the op.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1343361

You have to use the gapps-ics... in the OP that has facelock and some other things removed.

For inspire you have to flash some lordmod ICS kernel (in the thread somewhere) after the rom to enable audio.

It has no auto-rotate, no camera, no mass storage mode, and no hw accel it's pretty slow. No hw accel evidently means no youtube, no screen-thumbnails in the task view and no gallery on ics.

Also this fucks with the market by having a nonstandard name "HTC Desire HD" instead of just "Desire HD". (I had another rom do this to me) but it's really not good enough yet (IMO anyway, cause of the slowness) to bother signing in and downloading your apps. It's definitely worth a flash for a poke around, it's pretty amazing to me how much is accomplished here.

Edit: one of the guys says he got he accel working.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 30, 2011

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Am I the only one that thinks, some talented people aside, most of the "devs" on xda don't really know what they're doing?

Take the sensation ICS port. The one on xda is basically a mishmash of half working fixes tacked onto a mutant sdk/aosp base.

Then you see one member of the CM team has almost single handedly got a close to fully functional port running in two weeks.

And that's before you factor in the general loutishness of the posters on the site.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Experto Crede posted:

Am I the only one that thinks, some talented people aside, most of the "devs" on xda don't really know what they're doing?

Take the sensation ICS port. The one on xda is basically a mishmash of half working fixes tacked onto a mutant sdk/aosp base.

Then you see one member of the CM team has almost single handedly got a close to fully functional port running in two weeks.

And that's before you factor in the general loutishness of the posters on the site.

How else are people supposed to get their sweet, sweet donations.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Experto Crede posted:

Time to trot out this classic again!

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Penguissimo posted:

I always get a kick out of seeing that.

Apparently he did something for the Transformer too. It looks just as ugly.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What is the most recommended ROM for an Incredible 2? I don't like wading through all the XDA bullshit.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

BoyBlunder posted:

What is the most recommended ROM for an Incredible 2? I don't like wading through all the XDA bullshit.

My wife is very happy with CM7 on here Inc2

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

infinite99 posted:

I'm not familiar with Honeycomb, but...did he replace the carrier text with his own handle on the lockscreen? :stare:

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Edit: ack, wrong forum.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Penguissimo posted:

Oh God, my eyes.

So he put a hideous skin in and some apps. This is the poo poo I'm talking about :-(

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
If that's all it takes to make money on XDA then maybe I should become a "dev."

Naes
Jun 20, 2007
I think most "devs" on XDA take the term developer literally, so if the develop literally anything, a turd on a paper for example, they consider themselves "devs".

To be honest there are a few people on XDA who REALLY know their poo poo but most of them just copy/paste commits of other peoples codes and pieces of other roms, toss some skins in and consider themselves "devs"

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

infinite99 posted:

This one is amazing. "Magnus a.k.a. the Honeycomb Hitman presents... MagnuSupreme3_ULTIMAT3_,REVENGEdition."

A few posts down, after people complained about the font, someone explains Magnus' style: "He makes themes that look like a comic book ate the ugliest font in the world, then puked all over the gui. That's his thing." Seems accurate enough!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I wouldn't mind people calling themselves devs if it wasn't for the constant begging for donations. I can understand donating money to someone like Slayher who helped get the RIL issues figured out with CM7 on the Thunderbolt and was really big about porting CM7 to it. But someone like Magnus from XDA? No no no no

Edit: I can't remember if it was posted here but someone suggested that "devs" are people who actually port things, do coding, etc. People who take devs work, slap some fonts, apps, and themes together should be called "cookers" or something along those lines.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 30, 2011

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Thank you! Using clockwork worked; I now have a Superuser Permission app. Android is now tell me there's a system update. Will doing it break my phone? How do I remove icons from uninstalled apps? Any Verizon apps that deleting will cause my phone to break? I tried uninstalling some unecessarya apps like Flicr, VCAST, Skype, Verizon hotspot etc, but they come back when I reboot. This is with both Titanium and Root Explorer.
I've decided to get Cyanogen. I tried using it, but it's stuck on the Cyanogen load screen. I recovered my phone with Clockwork. I googled this and it's common, but without a solution. Most suggestions are to install using a different method. I used Rom Manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

StickFigs posted:

Are there any virus scanners out there for Windows PCs that can scan .apk files for Android viruses? Like some on-demand scanner not some whole antivirus suite.

I know this was a couple of days ago but ESET's nod32 or whatever would detect and block me from downloading root exploits back when they were still common.