Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzinkaiser
Feb 14, 2008

Books transportalize us to a realm of imagination and adventure
Since Crabdad's species might not have existed on Alternia until around Karkat's time (seeing as the Sufferer didn't have a lusus as nothing was attracted to his blood or however that works), I wonder what the odds are of one of the ones on Jake's version of Hellmurder island getting shrunk by the bunny's shrinking eye and transported to the A2 version of Alternia.
Or was it specifically stated that the Sufferer's followers actually bred that species?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless
Oh Jegus, that poor Tinkerbull.

So who else actually took the time to find some appropriate music? I decided on Knife's Edge from the Strife album.

Cracker Lacquer
Nov 29, 2011

by angerbeet
So, was the tinkerbull's death supposed to be funny? It's hard to tell sometimes.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Cracker Lacquer posted:

So, was the tinkerbull's death supposed to be funny? It's hard to tell sometimes.

At most as funny as Vriska's first death sequence, the Nic Cage looking over Vriska's second death, or Grandpa's death, or Terezi playing with Tavros's corpse, or CD's dance after killing Jade, or...

Sometimes the presence of absurdity and irony can mix with serious contexts with the purpose of making the reader have conflicting ideas about how they should feel about something! To guilt them for laughing at something they know they shouldn't laugh at. We've seen that an awful lot by now!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tinkerbull's death is profoundly moving, and if you don't find yourself in tears right now then you're a cold heartless monster. I consider it to be the most tragic death in literary history.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The contrast between funny and serious can throw a lot of people. On the one hand you can be overly concerned and a little too sensitive about things like death in the story, in which case the note of comedy is meant to remind you that this isn't really a grim comic. On the other hand, if you just flick through pages for pretty images and skim the logs for the best jokes and ignore everything else, you probably are missing something of worth in the plot that's actually worth taking at least a little seriously.

The reader has to strike a balance as much as Hussie has to. Try not to get bent out of shape about even the 'saddest' deaths (Bec Noir standing around the corpses of mom and dad) but try not to discount the entire story as 'wacky' and not worth taking seriously at all.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
And then while fighting Brobot he knocks it off a cliff, causing it to dislodge a large contraption-device-thing from where it was hanging precariously above a perfectly innocent giant spider minding its own business, crushing it fatally.

What a shame.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ratzinkaiser posted:

Since Crabdad's species might not have existed on Alternia until around Karkat's time (seeing as the Sufferer didn't have a lusus as nothing was attracted to his blood or however that works), I wonder what the odds are of one of the ones on Jake's version of Hellmurder island getting shrunk by the bunny's shrinking eye and transported to the A2 version of Alternia.
Or was it specifically stated that the Sufferer's followers actually bred that species?

I think it was mentioned that followers of the Signless planned to make sure that a Lusus existed that matched the blood colour of the Signless so that his descendant would have a Lusus. That definitely implies they bred one.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I would say that this is exactly as funny, and exactly as much intended to be funny, as the original Tinkerbull's death. (That is to say: not funny at all, you monster. But also hilarious.)

And perhaps Bro is not dead in the shower after all! Perhaps he is instead pretending to be a robot here on hellmurder island, having left behind some clothes and a running shower as a cover story; Jake will track him down and shoot him, then carve him open to discover, hidden in the stomach, a large nugget of uranium.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

YggiDee posted:

Is there a Gl'bgolyb? We're all hosed.
Yes, there will be plenty of them. The will be jellyfish-sized and make little glub sounds that kinda annoy you a bit.

Also, with the lusus-things actually being a thing in this universe's earth, it kinda confirms that there exists a blood spectrum. At least for the FAUNA.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Roger Explosion posted:

Also, with the lusus-things actually being a thing in this universe's earth, it kinda confirms that there exists a blood spectrum. At least for the FAUNA.

Bro is always taking showers because he's actually an aquatic highblood.

Fantasy Tripe
Nov 4, 2009

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I would say that this is exactly as funny, and exactly as much intended to be funny, as the original Tinkerbull's death. (That is to say: not funny at all, you monster. But also hilarious.)

And perhaps Bro is not dead in the shower after all! Perhaps he is instead pretending to be a robot here on hellmurder island, having left behind some clothes and a running shower as a cover story; Jake will track him down and shoot him, then carve him open to discover, hidden in the stomach, a large nugget of uranium.

This has me entirely too excited for the possibility that the Jake removing the RoBro's uranium scene will be another call back to Hussie's Saw parody comics. :neckbeard:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So I've been waiting for Jake to do something cool/funny enough to be avatar-worthy for a while. I think him looking sad in the latest page maybe works, but I don't know if I should hold off in case something better shows up. A frightening existential conundrum, to be sure

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Fantasy Tripe posted:

This has me entirely too excited for the possibility that the Jake removing the RoBro's uranium scene will be another call back to Hussie's Saw parody comics. :neckbeard:

HELLO JAKE ENGLISH

I WOULD LIKE TO PLAY A GAME

MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless
I personally am hoping some of the fauna are humanimals. I don;t know why they creep my friends out so much, they seem fine to me...

Ketzal
Feb 19, 2011

President of Hell
Grimey Drawer

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

"The stones are in me..."

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

^^^ oh god, yes, we need a long drawn out tearful death sequence as Jake tenderly extracts the uranium from the robot's abdomen.

Cracker Lacquer posted:

It was hilarious.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

MidnightSun posted:

I personally am hoping some of the fauna are humanimals. I don;t know why they creep my friends out so much, they seem fine to me...

There's gotta be some version of Aurthour out there, possibly the same size, possibly enormous.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

A good poster posted:

There's gotta be some version of Aurthour out there, possibly the same size, possibly enormous.
Y'know that beastie from the end of The Mist? The one they drive under?

yeah

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Jake you need to start turning around, there is an anime right behind you!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I am beyond disappointed in that brobot. Look at that. That's not the other rap robot at all!

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Brobot looks surprisingly...menacing. Go get'im, Jake!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

I am beyond disappointed in that brobot. Look at that. That's not the other rap robot at all!

Sawtooth's probably jamming with Squarewave back at Bro's place.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
That's......an awfully well-detailed robot you have there, Mr Strider. :stare:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

That's probably the single most detailed thing Hussie has drawn in this comic.

MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless
I can just imagine how awesome it is. How awesome it is when wrestling. Wrestling in that
oh...
so...
intimate...
way.

WELP, that did it for me.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Is it just me or does it look kind of like a dreambot?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

pumpinglemma posted:

Is it just me or does it look kind of like a dreambot?

I think that's the point. It's like a parallel to Jade.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe all those 'legendary showers' are actually 'legendary naps'? :stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Metal Strider?!

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Bro!!! Or Brobot anyway, I can't wait for his introduction. My current bet is Brobot will be Jake's prototyping after its had it’s heart ripped out of it. That'll be close enough to being dead right?

That hair kindof makes him look even more like a douche though, like he's raising one eyebrow like in all the dreamworks movies.

Also I'm a little disappointed so many of you took that Andrew comments as confirmation Gamzee won't get comeuppance for what he's done. Really, what do you expect Hussie to say when he's answering a question like that? Throw up the spoiler flags and announce what plot events will happen way in advance? Say "maybe he will maybe he won't" that's basically a confirmation.
But yeah, carefully parse what Hussie says, I don’t see any direct confirmation Gamzee will get off scot free, just implications, which everyone should know are as trustworthy as a Betty Crocker cake. Which is reasonably not very trustworthy at all.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
That robot is terrifying. I am terrified.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Pleasant Friend posted:

Also I'm a little disappointed so many of you took that Andrew comments as confirmation Gamzee won't get comeuppance for what he's done. Really, what do you expect Hussie to say when he's answering a question like that? Throw up the spoiler flags and announce what plot events will happen way in advance? Say "maybe he will maybe he won't" that's basically a confirmation.
But yeah, carefully parse what Hussie says, I don’t see any direct confirmation Gamzee will get off scot free, just implications, which everyone should know are as trustworthy as a Betty Crocker cake. Which is reasonably not very trustworthy at all.
:raise: Are you mad that most of us don't give a poo poo? Did you write that question?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
He's totally getting his comeuppance. He has to sit in his time-out spot and think about what he's done.

Well, if he wants to. He can chat with a guy on the moon with a cueball with a head but he has to be real quiet while he's at it.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

:raise: Are you mad that most of us don't give a poo poo? Did you write that question?

Yeah, if you're not actually going to reply to anything in my post and just say "~U mad~" then I'm just gonna take that as confirmation I'm right.

Gnome de plume posted:

He's totally getting his comeuppance. He has to sit in his time-out spot and think about what he's done.

In case you forgot, Gamzee is d00med.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Pleasant Friend posted:

Yeah, if you're not actually going to reply to anything in my post and just say "~U mad~" then I'm just gonna take that as confirmation I'm right.

Well, you may have a point that perhaps Gamzee's story isn't quite finished yet, but the point you're missing is that no one in this thread said anything to the contrary. I just thought Hussie's answer to the question was funny, that's all.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
The Tinkerbull ruse.

It was a Distaction.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

Well, you may have a point that perhaps Gamzee's story isn't quite finished yet, but the point you're missing is that no one in this thread said anything to the contrary. I just thought Hussie's answer to the question was funny, that's all.

Huh, on review you're right, I guess in the rush to catch up on this thread some things got misinterpreted. Still, it's a sentiment I've encountered on other dumber forums, so you'll forgive me for jumping to conclusions. I just think its so silly when people take Hussie's forumspring answers as a good indication of what's going to happen. Like when Hussie said Noir plucked Davesprites feathers.

(Though I do think there is a chance Spade's Slick really is recuperating at Hussie's house...)

MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless

Pleasant Friend posted:

(Though I do think there is a chance Spade's Slick really is recuperating at Hussie's house...)

I somehow doubt this. If there was an epicenter for the blue universe's explosion, it was Snowman. Scratch's joint was protected because of his role as an excellent host to LE, but I think we can say with tentative certainty that our friend Slick has kicked the bucket (which is probably a lewd sexual phrase in troll culture).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Pleasant Friend posted:

Uh, no, sorry, Gamzee isn't going to get any 'comeuppance.' If he dies, it will be for reasons unrelated to what happened. Hussie isn't lying or kidding when he says there is a difference between a character arc and a series of jokes.