Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Sporadic posted:

It looks like Annie Hall, Manhattan, Notorious and Rebecca are all getting a US release - January 24, 2012.

The preorders just popped up on Amazon. $17.49 each.

I almost never buy DVD's or BR's day one, but I'm gonna have to do that for Annie Hall. For far too long that great movie has been non-anamorphic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought Avatar was a pretty generic film that was needlessly long and the DC only exacerbated that but I absolutely do not regret the purchase of the Extended Edition for the Capturing Avatar documentary alone. It's about 100 mins long and 100x more interesting than the movie IMO.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The "I totally am not trying to rip off Blade Runner" opening to the Avatar DC was neat.

Other than that there's not that much new stuff. And it's still a bad movie.

The bonus features are groovy, though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I thought Avatar was a pretty generic film that was needlessly long and the DC only exacerbated that but I absolutely do not regret the purchase of the Extended Edition for the Capturing Avatar documentary alone. It's about 100 mins long and 100x more interesting than the movie IMO.

Why, exactly, is it so interesting? Usually, the extra 'behind the scenes' jazz included with DVDs/BDs are throwaways.

(I can't believe you changed your Dawg avatar.)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Red posted:

Why, exactly, is it so interesting? Usually, the extra 'behind the scenes' jazz included with DVDs/BDs are throwaways.

(I can't believe you changed your Dawg avatar.)

The "Making Of" stuff on the EE blu-ray are the most in-depth making ofs I've ever seen. It's super long and tells you the entire process of the shooting, how they cast people, how they trained them, how the cameras work, etc.

Since it's such a large budget movie with then-new technology, it's fascinating to see how they got it all to work.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

General consensus is that it's worth it. I'm in luck because I liked the movie. Thanks all.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Alien and Aliens are $10 a pop at Target. Do the separated versions lack anything meaningful compared to the quadrilogy? I don't want a billionth of a cent of my money going to the latter two abortions if I can avoid it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Alien and Aliens are $10 a pop at Target. Do the separated versions lack anything meaningful compared to the quadrilogy? I don't want a billionth of a cent of my money going to the latter two abortions if I can avoid it.

Yes, the standalone editions are disc 1 & 2 of the boxset. Disc 5 & 6 from the boxset has a ton of extras relating to the first two movies.

(scroll down to the extras section to see exactly what)
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray/5090/#Review

You could always import the boxset from the UK for a tiny amount more.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 30, 2011

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Sporadic posted:

Yes, the standalone editions are disc 1 & 2 of the boxset. Disc 5 & 6 from the boxset has a ton of extras relating to the first two movies.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray/5090/#Review

You could always import the boxset from the UK for a tiny amount more.

Thanks. And poo poo. I don't even want my drat shelves fouled with the last two.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Taking a moment to divert from all the talk of Christmas-related blu-ray sales, does anyone know if there are plans to release The Bealtes Yellow Submarine on blu-ray?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Thanks. And poo poo. I don't even want my drat shelves fouled with the last two.

Have you even seen them? Alien 3 is a fine (but flawed) movie, and Alien Resurrection is really just mediocre.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

CPL593H posted:

Taking a moment to divert from all the talk of Christmas-related blu-ray sales, does anyone know if there are plans to release The Bealtes Yellow Submarine on blu-ray?

I remember hearing that the rights are all tied-up on that. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

WickedIcon posted:

Have you even seen them? Alien 3 is a fine (but flawed) movie, and Alien Resurrection is really just mediocre.

Yes, I've seen them. 3 narrowly missed being the first movie I ever walked out on. Resurrection is almost so bad it's good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

codyclarke posted:

I remember hearing that the rights are all tied-up on that. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

It was probably due to holding out for the mo-cap remake. Any rights issues would have been cleared for the 1999 restoration. I would strongly expect a Blu either in 2012 or 2013. There's supposed to be another launch of Beatles stuff for either the 50th anniversary of their first single (1962) or first album (1963).

A Criterion box with all five Beatles features would be awesome, even if fairly unlikely.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

^^^I would love that, but there's no way in hell that would ever happen. And Let It Be hasn't been released on any video format since the late 80s.

codyclarke posted:

I figured this was the case. I had the 99 reissue vhs which was in the proper aspect ratio unlike the DVD and then I left some dickhead borrow it who lost it. It's such a shame that anything involving video releases of Beatles movies is such a horrifying legal clusterfuck. Hopefully if they do actually do a blu-ray it'll include the proper 1:33 aspect ratio and original mono soundtrack but I'm guessing that's probably far too much to hope for.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Here's the apparent box-art for Game of Thrones:
http://winter-is-coming.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/GoT-S1-box-art.jpg
No release date yet, but apparently it's coming out around March.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Here's the apparent box-art for Game of Thrones:
http://winter-is-coming.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/GoT-S1-box-art.jpg
No release date yet, but apparently it's coming out around March.

Awww poo poo, assumed they'd have it out by Christmas.

WickedIcon posted:

Alien3 is a literal abortion of a film but I agree with you on 4.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 30, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

^^^I would love that, but there's no way in hell that would ever happen. And Let It Be hasn't been released on any video format since the late 80s.

I figured this was the case. I had the 99 reissue vhs which was in the proper aspect ratio unlike the DVD and then I left some dickhead borrow it who lost it. It's such a shame that anything involving video releases of Beatles movies is such a horrifying legal clusterfuck. Hopefully if they do actually do a blu-ray it'll include the proper 1:33 aspect ratio and original mono soundtrack but I'm guessing that's probably far too much to hope for.

Actually, 1.66:1 is the correct format. The 1987 VHS was fully open matte and has a ton of issues with unfinished cel edges where it would normally be cropped. The DVD is actually on Amazon and it's not a bootleg. Non-anamorphic, though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The near unanimous hate for alien 3 has always made me tremendously sad.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

caiman posted:

I personally liked it a lot. Maybe people were just expecting Aliens+?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I hate Aliens 3 more than resurrection, but I've always had an odd train of thought on things like this. Aliens 3 was completely unnecessary, and they went out of their way to poo poo all over the previous film and try to make people forget about it as much as possible. Resurrection was a mediocre, bland film that had a dumb plot, but the sentiment around it is less aggravating than "gently caress that last film". I feel the same about the X-men franchise, with The Last Stand in place of Aliens 3 and Wolverine in place of Resurrection.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

caiman posted:

Agreed. I liked the third flick because I thought the prison scenario was clever, and the look and feel of the film was really grimy.

The fourth film was just an abomination, especially when the weird hybrid alien thing at the end acted like a puppy.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I have only seen the directors cut of 3 and went in knowing it was no Alien / Aliens and don't really mind it. I don't want to watch it often, but certainly don't hate it. Also I like the prison setting.

Edit: errr Extended. The longer version, whatever it is is called.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 30, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Asnorban posted:

I have only seen the directors cut of 3

Don't see how there could be a DC for 3 given Fincher literally disowned it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection are all pretty much equal in my eyes (Criticker ratings 74, 73 and 73 respectively). Flawed but with enjoyable elements. I should probably just buy the separate release of Alien and sell the box set, but it's such a nice set.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

caiman posted:

CD has always struck me as a strangely pro-Alien 3 place, though.

I used to hate the film a lot but I don't really anymore. I think it would work pretty well as a stand alone horror film. It's the attachment to the Alien franchise that ruined it for a lot of people.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Alien 3 is a fantastic movie and if you think otherwise, and assuming you pay my air fare, I'll come to your house and stomp on your penis.

So yeah, get the quad set when it's on sale. Then you get 3 great movies, the abysmal 4th one, and tons of cool extras in a pretty pretty box.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think watching the Extended version of 3 is a must if you haven't. Still far from my favorite but makes it a much better experience.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The NeverEnding Story dropped to $6.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002Z7FM68

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I will say this in the defense of Alien 3, although I was pissed off that they threw away the emotional investment I had from 2, I have to say that they captured that sense of loss and tragedy pretty powerfully

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gary Tooze must be smoking some serious crack to not see how horrifying StudioCanal's Kundun Blu looks:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews55/kundun_blu-ray.htm

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Steve Yun posted:

I will say this in the defense of Alien 3, although I was pissed off that they threw away the emotional investment I had from 2, I have to say that they captured that sense of loss and tragedy pretty powerfully

Yeah, I never disliked A3 for any of that stuff. I actually thought the brutality of the opening was awesome.

That being said, I just think A3 acts a little self-important and is just a hair boring. I thought the extended cut was actually a lot worse.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Same, A3 was alright and I couldn't care less about any of the characters from 2, it's all about the monsters. A3 just dragged on. I honestly think Resurrection is better, a little cheesy in the end with Ripley consoling the hybrid but it's a decent entry into the series.

Also, the book set rocks and is something every blu owner should have.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Am I a bad person for only liking Alien? :ohdear:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

kaujot posted:

Not at all.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kaujot posted:

You might as well wear puppy-stomping boots made out of kittens if you don't like Aliens, you godless son of a diseased whore.

:toughguy:

Let me guess, you also hate Die Hard 2, Robocop 2, and every Bond movie without Connery, right? You monster.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kaujot posted:

It's already begun, but soon enough the legions of people will start flooding in to tell you how wrong you are.

Stay strong. Don't believe them. All the other ones are terrible.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

^^^^Everyone knows that even numbered Die Hards and Robocop sequels are total poo poo!

Egbert Souse posted:

Actually, 1.66:1 is the correct format. The 1987 VHS was fully open matte and has a ton of issues with unfinished cel edges where it would normally be cropped. The DVD is actually on Amazon and it's not a bootleg. Non-anamorphic, though.

IMDB does list the aspect ratio as 1:66.1, but I question the validity of that information. According to something I read most animated features of the era were 1:33.1. I have the DVD and the picture is very obviously cropped to be "widescreen". So in any case they hosed up the aspect ratio. This was a fairly common problem with DVDs produced in the late 90s/early 2000s. They would take a 4:3 transfer of the movie and put black bars on it to make it appear to be widescreen.

kaujot posted:

gently caress no. The first film is the best of the series by far. It always bothered me that most people like the second movie best, but it's easy to understand why. It's full of action and things going boom. I do happen to like the second movie a lot and have found myself to be one of those rare defenders of Alien 3 (my only major complaint is the painfully dated CG effects). But if someone said I could only ever see one of those movies again it would be Alien without any contest. Incidentally I notice the people who like the first movie best tend to be more serious about film. So I'm sure that your opinion (at least here) is in the majority.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 1, 2011

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Aliens gets better and better every time I watch it. A year ago I would have agreed that Alien was way better, plain and simple; now, while I still prefer it, the margin is pretty loving narrow. The way it expands on the first without simplifying or marginalizing its themes, the way it shifts the tone without losing the spirit of it, the absolutely unbelievable camerawork, the efficiency and precision of the script, the perfect action and suspense set pieces...it's a goddamn hell of a show.

Alien3 is decent and we just won't discuss Alien: Resurrection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

kaujot posted:

I'll agree that 1 is miles ahead of the other the others, especially 3 and 4. They had a pretty steady decline in quality in all areas as the series progressed. I really like 2 though, but if I'd seen 1 when it came out and then seen 2 on release, I would be disappointed. 2 Is one of the few action movies I actually enjoy though and I admire it for that if anything.
My favorite part about 2 is how it ties together with 1 and answer questions about what happened before in a way and after and at the same time changes the genre of the movie in the way it does. It could easily have gone the way of the Friday the 13th/Halloween sequels and just continued endlessly from there.

• Locked thread