Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pleasant Friend posted:

I just think its so silly when people take Hussie's forumspring answers as a good indication of what's going to happen.

Yes, clearly when Andrew answered that question with "who gives a gently caress" he was cleverly foreshadowing that someone would, in fact, give a gently caress. And it turned out to be true, because here you are handing out fucks left and right! Well played, Hussie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pleasant Friend posted:

Bro!!! Or Brobot anyway, I can't wait for his introduction. My current bet is Brobot will be Jake's prototyping after its had it’s heart ripped out of it. That'll be close enough to being dead right?

That hair kindof makes him look even more like a douche though, like he's raising one eyebrow like in all the dreamworks movies.

Also I'm a little disappointed so many of you took that Andrew comments as confirmation Gamzee won't get comeuppance for what he's done. Really, what do you expect Hussie to say when he's answering a question like that? Throw up the spoiler flags and announce what plot events will happen way in advance? Say "maybe he will maybe he won't" that's basically a confirmation.
But yeah, carefully parse what Hussie says, I don’t see any direct confirmation Gamzee will get off scot free, just implications, which everyone should know are as trustworthy as a Betty Crocker cake. Which is reasonably not very trustworthy at all.

Gamzee isn't getting comeuppance. He is a joke character, he has no story arc. He is a tool to make things happen for other characters to react to, nothing more.

Deal with it!!!!!!!!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

'comeuppance' is a silly word which is associated with the feeling of audience revenge, a bad thing to run a story on, although there is actually a more reasonable question that's getting lost there.

Namely, "why are the other trolls okay with his murder spree?" There's lots of possible answers (troll culture means even Karkat accepts it as a part of his personality, and their conception of justice is actually alien to us/the remaining trolls don't think they could take him in a fight so this is a path of least resistance/everyone's just so worn out and PTSD'd that at this point they want to just get on with things and so long as Gamzee's not killing them any more they'll accept it/etc). Hussie isn't really interested in exploring which one it is, though, so we're left to fill it in ourselves, and other readers are probably not going to be particularly generous if you don't get that it's something that can be resolved in the background.

His answer that it's a joke is more a matter that it isn't going to get screen time than it is a suggestion that the whole cast are a bunch of cutouts who forget things as soon as the authour stops showing them.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Gamzee was lost but now he is found. He found Jegus and is on the path of troll redemption by finally coming to terms with his psychopathy via the diamondic relationship he has with his lord and savior slash bro, Karkat.

Whether Gamzee feels regret for what he's done, whooo knoooows. Probably. But so did Vriska about the poo poo she did. Turns out, kids coming out of a culture that emphasizes psychopathy who are genetically very much prone to being psychos can be quite capable of murder! It's done and over with, though.

And nothing says they'll never end up coming back from their dream bubbles anyway.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Welp, everyone everywhere just negated what I just said. v:v:v

Cracky
Feb 11, 2007

are you one of those guys who likes big fatties and the big fatties have got big fatty dildos in their nose and they barf and they barf and its so gross.
Correct me if I'm being completely retarded and can't flip it turn-ways, but does this mean the original four kids' session is over? The universes have been destroyed, John is stuffed, and we haven't seen any signs of Rose, Jade or Dave.
Can something the new kids do influence the past, or are we in "whatever happened, happened"-land?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Cracky posted:

Correct me if I'm being completely retarded and can't flip it turn-ways, but does this mean the original four kids' session is over? The universes have been destroyed, John is stuffed, and we haven't seen any signs of Rose, Jade or Dave.
Can something the new kids do influence the past, or are we in "whatever happened, happened"-land?

There is a very strong implication that the kids are doing to show up on the Prospitian ship that Jade comandeered in the EoA flash. They haven't shown up yet because pacing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cracky posted:

Here is what I thought:

John and Jade: Somewhere in this Universe.

Dave and Rose: Next to the Green Sun in paradox space.

The remaining trolls: Somewhere in paradox space, heading towards the new session.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Cracky posted:

The universe ended and their session was reset. Fortunately they all got the gently caress out of there beforehand. Presumably, once the new kids start their session, the old kids will bust in Kool-Aid Man style.

Gizmotinker
Oct 31, 2011

WILL COACH 4 RARES

Great at giving unsolicited bad advice in the Dota2 thread without having a public profile! You see, it's his shitty teammates that hold him back; he wouldn't want you thinking it's him.

His posts make it sound like he's playing a different game. Seriously.
Scope the case out of which Brobot emerged. It's the same as Jade's Dreambot.

Bro is asleep in the shower and is now Brobot. About to get his... "tender proceeding" on. We're gonna find out exactly what makes Jake uncomfortable. Ironically. But not really. Jake be messing with everybody's shipping grid.

I'm kidding, of course, now is the perfect time to cut away to kidMom.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

MrBims posted:

Uh, no, sorry, Gamzee isn't going to get any 'comeuppance.' If he dies, it will be for reasons unrelated to what happened. Hussie isn't lying or kidding when he says there is a difference between a character arc and a series of jokes.
Problem being that the only way for Gamzee to be less funny is if he communicated entirely through Reddit rageface comics.

gamzeechat.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

Zorak posted:

Gamzee was lost but now he is found. He found Jegus and is on the path of troll redemption by finally coming to terms with his psychopathy via the diamondic relationship he has with his lord and savior slash bro, Karkat.

Whether Gamzee feels regret for what he's done, whooo knoooows. Probably. But so did Vriska about the poo poo she did. Turns out, kids coming out of a culture that emphasizes psychopathy who are genetically very much prone to being psychos can be quite capable of murder! It's done and over with, though.

And nothing says they'll never end up coming back from their dream bubbles anyway.

No. Let them stay dead. I may like some of the characters that died, but there is no way in hell that them coming back to life wouldn't ruin the entire Act 5 Part 2 we had to slog through.

Yeah Man fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 30, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

MidnightSun posted:

I somehow doubt this. If there was an epicenter for the blue universe's explosion, it was Snowman. Scratch's joint was protected because of his role as an excellent host to LE, but I think we can say with tentative certainty that our friend Slick has kicked the bucket (which is probably a lewd sexual phrase in troll culture).

kicking the bucket is some troll jerry louis level slapstick, it means spilling your genetic material and making a mess and oh no there's a knock at the door nice DRONey why you wanna hurt a fella sorry I got some on you nyaaang

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah Man posted:

No. Let them stay dead. I may some of the characters that died, but there is no way in hell that them coming back to life wouldn't ruin the entire Act 5 Part 2 we had to slog through.

How so?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
John, Jade, Dave, and Rose can't travel to this universe yet because out in paradox space their only real point of reference is Sburb sessions (Well it may be different for John and Jade I guess). So when Jane and company start playing, that session will start up and they can then go enter there. Or maybe they are already there just sort of shooting the breeze around Prospit or whatever waiting for folks to show up. The only way they would physically be present on Earth would be if they went through some of Skaia's portals during the reckoning, which would invite a whole slew of other problems.

I suspect we won't see any of the other characters directly until after all four kids have been introduced and at least one has entered the game, maybe when all four enter the game even.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

How so?

Because then we basically sat through trolls acting crazy and killing each other for nothing.

JamJars
Aug 2, 2004

you cannot beat me
Update.

This only cements young Bro as the best of the Alpha kids.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Oh no, Poppop. Your head. :(

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

King of Solomon posted:

Oh no, Poppop. Your head. :(

Well, hey, this makes it perfect prototype size material.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Yeah Man posted:

No. Let them stay dead. I may some of the characters that died, but there is no way in hell that them coming back to life wouldn't ruin the entire Act 5 Part 2 we had to slog through.

This guy gets it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So it's a bro-bunny? A... brunny?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JT Jag posted:

So it's a bro-bunny? A... brunny?

Or a...brony

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
That Bro gets around with his bots

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Robronny.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Nilbop posted:

This guy gets it.

Eh. All the kids and several of the trolls dying and coming back to life at times served narrative purposes when it was appropriate. Making act 5 part 2 have weight is a good narrative purpose for keeping them dead, I wouldn't be against them coming back to life for some more worthwhile purpose that helped complete arcs or otherwise makes sense in the future we can't yet see.

If Hussie goes for an extra-happy ending, for example, he might have all the players come out of it alive and better people for it. Or if a 'final battle' requires the cooperation of everyone, maybe, in an effort to make absolutely everything seem meaningful. I don't pretend to be as good a writer as Hussie but I assume there might be valid reasons for bringing the dead back that surpass the narrative value of the finality of their deaths.

Besides, I think if anything's held true about Homestuck, it's that Hussie's not afraid to take something that seemed clear cut and meaningful in a certain way at the time and turn it on its head later. Don't ever bank on something having to go a certain way or following a certain logic to be meaningful, he'll surprise you. It could turn out everything we've seen so far was just the prequel for Nepetaquest 2012 and I'd still probably assume he knew what he was doing.

Edit: figured I might want to provide a quick example. I was sure back near the start of the story that the Guardians as we knew them were story critical, and simply couldn't die without big and clear-cut character development scenes for the main kids. Then they all ended up being dead and I was left confused about what the meaning had been. Now we're seeing a weird mirror universe where the guardians are back and their relations to the kids are relevant again - something I'd never have predicted when I previously thought they couldn't die without tying up issues related to them. So basically, never say never.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 30, 2011

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Color Printer posted:

Well, hey, this makes it perfect prototype size material.
poppop head and brobot get prototyped, MODOK is the new villian for the rest of the series

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Hoping the litte radically awesome robbit will mind its manners today, seconds after it cut the head off the beloved corpse in which it was hiding for whatever reason.

I think that horse has long left the building, Jane.

(I'd be fascinated to see what would be serious mischief by this guy's standards.)

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

Dolash posted:

Eh. All the kids and several of the trolls dying and coming back to life at times served narrative purposes when it was appropriate. Making act 5 part 2 have weight is a good narrative purpose for keeping them dead, I wouldn't be against them coming back to life for some more worthwhile purpose that helped complete arcs or otherwise makes sense in the future we can't yet see.

If Hussie goes for an extra-happy ending, for example, he might have all the players come out of it alive and better people for it. Or if a 'final battle' requires the cooperation of everyone, maybe, in an effort to make absolutely everything seem meaningful. I don't pretend to be as good a writer as Hussie but I assume there might be valid reasons for bringing the dead back that surpass the narrative value of the finality of their deaths.

If this happens, I will know who to blame. You have been warned.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

snucks posted:

poppop head and brobot get prototyped, MODOK is the new villian for the rest of the series

Yes, a Mental Organism Designed Only for Kismesis.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation posted:

Or a...brony

Don't even joke about that poo poo man.

You've opened pundora's box here, dude.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's not really a big deal, no need to go into hysterics about it.

Also, Bro Strider why you gotta build things in your own image? Is it to show up new Dave???

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh no John's head :smith:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm pretty sure that Vriska will be coming back, or at least doing something, because there needs to be some resolution to that thread with her and beta John in the dream bubble and the information about the denizens.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Paracelsus posted:

I'm pretty sure that Vriska will be coming back, or at least doing something, because there needs to be some resolution to that thread with her and beta John in the dream bubble and the information about the denizens.
One can make a pretty reasonable assumption as to what happened with Beta John. All of the deals the Denizens offer have to do with with the player's death. I speculate that when John went to fight the Denizen, that timeline wasn't actually doomed initially. It was, briefly, the Alpha Timeline. However, that game would not have succeeded without Dave coming back in time, and the Denizen informed John of this.

So the Choice that was offered was John and all his friends continuing on in a non-doomed timeline, likely completely failing the quest, or the Denizen killing John on the spot, which would lead to Dave grinding levels and then going back in time and creating a new Alpha Timeline, which gives everyone a better chance of surviving. It's a choice fairly similar to the one Echidna offered the pre-scratch Trolls.

That said it probably has to be wrapped up so we can know this for sure.

Dr. Demon
Jan 2, 2007

Everybody out of the god damn way. You got a hat full of bomb, a fist full of penis, and a head full of empty.
It's a relatively minor thing, but I really like Jane's expression on that last page.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Most important things first. gently caress. Yes. Brobunny.

MrBims posted:

Uh, no, sorry, Gamzee isn't going to get any 'comeuppance.' If he dies, it will be for reasons unrelated to what happened. Hussie isn't lying or kidding when he says there is a difference between a character arc and a series of jokes.

What a stupid thing to say. You don't know what's going to happen in the future of the comic, unless you're secretly Hussie. (Are you???)
Sure, when Gamzee dies it may just be some incidental thing; maybe he's hit by a meteor or whatever. The point I made was that Hussie's answer on Tumblr specifically didn't rule out Gamzee getting his narrative justice on. So yeah, Hussie isn't lying, he's a lawyer level wordsmith who knows how to manipulate his audience. You can pick apart his answer, and you'll find there is no commitment to Gamzee being saved. That's deliberate. These type of open-end answers lets him choose if he's kidding, or misdirecting you.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yes, clearly when Andrew answered that question with "who gives a gently caress" he was cleverly foreshadowing that someone would, in fact, give a gently caress. And it turned out to be true, because here you are handing out fucks left and right! Well played, Hussie.

I put that post through google translate and it came back "~U mad~". Listen, as with every issue in the story, I don't personally care about the event in it, I care about guessing right, that's all I'm interested in. It's like a game, I call it plot twister, I'm Vriska and Hussie's Doc Scratch, he always wins but I get close sometimes.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Gamzee isn't getting comeuppance. He is a joke character, he has no story arc. He is a tool to make things happen for other characters to react to, nothing more.

Deal with it!!!!!!!!

The premise of this argument relies on the idea that minor characters are somehow exempt from scrutiny or plot progression. This fantastically absurd statement is really too obvious to properly rebuke. Lets just say... think of 100 other minor characters that had something happen to them in their story. Deal with it? (Whatever ever it is that so aggrieved you about the notion Gamzee wasn't done with the story I mean.)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Once Jane prototypes john's remains it's just gonna be a torso and an arm at this rate :ohdear:

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Captain Oblivious posted:

Deal with it!!!!!!!!

right that's just the thing it would be kinda weird for the other characters to all suddenly stop givin' a poo poo that he killed people and there aint no reason to believe that those events will just go forgotten by everyone, surely there will be some arc developed further there even if it's not gamzee's character arc per se

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Space Hamlet posted:

right that's just the thing it would be kinda weird for the other characters to all suddenly stop givin' a poo poo that he killed people and there aint no reason to believe that those events will just go forgotten by everyone, surely there will be some arc developed further there even if it's not gamzee's character arc per se

How do you figure? With their numbers down to the single-digits, the trolls can't exactly be very choosy about the company they keep. Gamzee's murderous rage has been calmed. He's not like Vriska, whose ambition and hubris posed a direct threat to the team, or Eridan, who deliberately betrayed the team in an act of cowardice. He went bonkers. Karkat calmed him down by Shooshing the Pap and Being the Hero.

If anything, Gamzee faces comeuppance for Raging Cal and Jack into existence, not for killing Equius and Nepeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

The other trolls were also ready to romance the hell out of Gamzee (Kanaya as auspistice, Terezi as kismesis, and Sollux switching between red and black), so it's not really that they do or don't give shits about his murderspree. The poo poo is more like Gamzee is...currently really attractive to them or something? Trolls are just weird.