Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, they finally enforced the new BBC homepage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Brown Moses posted:

Trailer for episode one of Black Mirror
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=midBr3d3MUg
Starts Sunday at 9pm.

He also did an interview with GQ which is worth a read.

Enjoying the continuing Portishead theme.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

meme posted:

I got that moving the cast to Starbug was to give them a purpose and introduce some dynamic scenery, but I don't think it really worked. They were already chasing earth, and with the Dwarf they had BOTH a labyrinthine space hulk with heaven knows how many secrets to uncover, AND Starbugs. I just dont get how such bad decisions were made by people who get paid to do this kind of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed most every episode up to around S7, but it always seemed that the show worked in spite of the sets, forced drama, and weird behind-the-scenes decisions, rather than because of them.

The other consideration that Rob and Doug had was that Red Dwarf took up a lot of space at Shepperton in standing sets, plus Starbug, and there wasn't much space left to do anything else there; the idea was that not having to have Red Dwarf up all the time freed up a lot of space to make it easier to do other sets when they were needed.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'm not one who usually complains about updates to Facebook's layout or whatever, but the new BBC homepage is atrocious.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

I'm not one who usually complains about updates to Facebook's layout or whatever, but the new BBC homepage is atrocious.

It's pretty bad yeah. It just looks like a glorified TV Guide now, even the news and sport headlines are pushed to a single corner.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Junkenstein posted:

yeah, it's my homepage and it came up today and I was like wtf is this poo poo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

meme posted:

Edit 2: Can anyone explain why they decided to write the Red Dwarf out of the show? Starbug sucked and I dont get why they decided to not use such a great set? was it a budgetary issue?

It's much easier to write things where the crew have to get into scrapes than finding a new motivation for them to meet the monster of the week.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Rejected Fate posted:

I could see them parodying it with Lister's curry addiction. Craig Charles always seems like a good enough guy to laugh at himself.

Which is why I can't really get angry at him, just sad. Robot Wars people, remember?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

meme posted:

I got that moving the cast to Starbug was to give them a purpose and introduce some dynamic scenery, but I don't think it really worked. They were already chasing earth,

They found earth in series 2. For you see, that massive rollup bit when series 3 starts basically tells you that they've now tied the continuity of the show to the continuity of the books. In the Better Than Life book Lister wakes up on a disgusting rubbish planet that turns out to be Earth.
Of course they forget this in one or two episodes, but Red Dwarf has never really been a one for remembering anything that happened in the past, or even how the setting works.

It's easy to forget that it's 3 million years in the future in episodes like Holoship, where apparently this ship of the most brilliant people in the galaxy has been beetling around for 3 million years doing basically nothing. Or that Lister, the last human being alive, isn't really much of an impressive sight for the Rogue Simulants they meet in series 6.

The weirdest part is that the first two books (the ones they wrote together) are decent and quite impressive Sci-fi really. This means they do have it in them to think about their setting, they just don't really care that much.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

meme posted:

Kryten is making one of those Scrapheap shows

You bastard you made me think Scrapheap Challenge was coming back :(

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I know I say this everytime it comes up, but I kind of like Series 7 of Red Dwarf.

I'm not gonna say it's good, it had a ton of problems, it wasn't that funny, the tone became all muddled between serious stuff and sitcom stuff and they lost one of the key cast members for half the episodes. But Tikka To Ride was a great opener, the Ace Rimmer one was good, the Rimmer song was funny...

It seemed like they produced that series despite a whole load of factors that were stopping it from happening, like one of the writers leaving, the long gap due to Craig Charles's arrest and obviously Rimmer only being there for half the episodes. So they tried to work around that, change things a little and take a few risks and in the end it just didn't quite work. The documentary on the DVD is really good and goes into a lot of the difficulties they had with that series.

Series 8 on the other hand is just absolute, irredeemable shite. Bad slapstick bullshit in space. I think they managed one decent episode that whole series. It was just unfunny garbage. And worst of all, while they fully acknowledge the flaws and difficulties surrounding Series 7 in that making of doc, the entire cast and staff seemed to regard series 8 as a huge triumph and the whole 'Making of Series 8' is just them slapping each other on the back for doing such a great job making that trash.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Leyburn posted:

Series 8 on the other hand is just absolute, irredeemable shite. Bad slapstick bullshit in space. I think they managed one decent episode that whole series. It was just unfunny garbage.

This still puts it leagues above Back To Earth.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Brown Moses posted:

Trailer for episode one of Black Mirror
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=midBr3d3MUg
Starts Sunday at 9pm.

He also did an interview with GQ which is worth a read.
He also pops up on today's Lauren Laverne 6Music show.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Essentially the only thing I remember from Red Dwarf 8:

"Hol, we've been trapped in the cargo bay by a rampaging T-Rex. What's your take on the situation?"
"Do you want the long, or the short version?"
"Uhh... long."
"You're finished."
"What's the short version?"
"Bye."

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Season 8 had it's moments. HAVE A GREAT PERIOD, Holly's bit about becoming a dog to get a shorter sentence, basically anything Rimmer did.

Season 7 by contrast had only one actually decent episode IMO, which was Duct Soup. Beyond that and some of the Ace Rimmer stuff I honestly barely remember that season.

Testro
May 2, 2009
With Red Dwarf, I adored 1-6. I understand the complaints from some fans about 6 because it does seem like it's more formulaic - e.g. the obligatory Space Corps directive joke, the obligatory 'deader than 'fashion item'' joke etc, but I think the overall storylines for each episode were pretty great.

7 started very strongly with Tikka to Ride, but losing Rimmer severely damaged the series, Kochanski was a waste of a character (and a drain on Lister) and the show veered into being some sort of comedy-drama instead of a sitcom (see the "touching" Ouroboros episode). Doug Naylor can defend that all he likes, but when you've tuned into the comedy zone at 9pm on a Friday to watch a sitcom, it doesn't sit all that well. However, despite my reservations about the season, there were some good moments in it.

Conversely, I always thought the 8 was much better and when watched on its own, although it's not classic Dwarf, there are some elements that seem to work. This was utterly ruined for me when I decided to marathon through 1-8 and it quickly became apparent that the best bits of 8 were the bits wholeheartedly stolen (and usually performed not as impressively) from 1-6.

It seems that without Grant, Naylor can't hold himself to writing 30 minute sitcoms - he ends up sprawling his stories out over 2 and 3 episodes (which doesn't work with a week between watching each installment), with the result that only Cassandra is the only episode really worth watching from season 8. This is also particularly annoying when he talks about showcasing Danny's dancing...sure, he's a great dancer but I wanted to watch a comedy show, not Strictly.

The CGI use in the final seasons is fairly sad. I think some of it was due to cost, but the model shots were so accomplished in earlier seasons...the final shot of all of the Ace Rimmers makes me cry - for all of the wrong reasons!

The Bodysnatcher collection is worth getting just to hear that episode - that's the best new Dwarf in years!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Testro posted:

With Red Dwarf, I adored 1-6. I understand the complaints from some fans about 6 because it does seem like it's more formulaic - e.g. the obligatory Space Corps directive joke, the obligatory 'deader than 'fashion item'' joke etc, but I think the overall storylines for each episode were pretty great.

Red Dwarf was on when I was about 12, so it was at the perfect time for me. Everyone at school watched it too so we'd all go in and have a chat about it at lunch. When series 6 was on everyone absolutely loved it. It was a lot more actiony and granted it had catchphrases, but they were mostly pretty funny.

Now when I watch it I'd say that Series 2 and Series 5 are probably the best. They have very few catchphrases, they've got good, funny plots and they generally just "work".

It's hard for me to watch the new ones when compared to those. 6 feels very paint by numbers in comparison (and it's apparently why Grant left) which doesn't stop it being good, but I'd still rather they managed to go back to that.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Taear posted:

The weirdest part is that the first two books (the ones they wrote together) are decent and quite impressive Sci-fi really. This means they do have it in them to think about their setting, they just don't really care that much.

You're right here. The Red Dwarf books (the two proper ones) are such strange beasts. They have this weirdly episodic structure from the bits tied into existing episodes, but they actually hang together really well. You definitely get some insight into the characters as PEOPLE not just as ciphers for one liners.

This is another reason series 1 and 2 are the strongest the show has produced, even when they're not the funniest or most inventive, because the characters are three dimensional and consistent (within the constraints of the 30 minute sitcom). Rimmer especially feels like a PERSON. 3 and 4 have some of this, and although the characters are somewhat totally *different* people there is still some really strong interaction. Take marooned for instance, it's a bottle episode and rather a good one to boot; can you imagine them putting a proper bottle episode in series 6? The characters by then are so flimsy that the whole thing would collapse in 5 minutes.

I didn't watch much of series 8. It feels like an aging rock band is going back on tour, their new songs are clearly just inferior rip offs of their most popular hits and they're looking kind of worse for wear. I don't need to see that, I'll just listen to their old stuff and remember the glory days. 7 and even 6 suffered from this, bringing back fan favourites like Ace and Dwayne Dibley just as fan service, this is a surefire sign of a writer running desperately short on decent ideas.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

I didn't watch much of series 8. It feels like an aging rock band is going back on tour, their new songs are clearly just inferior rip offs of their most popular hits and they're looking kind of worse for wear. I don't need to see that, I'll just listen to their old stuff and remember the glory days. 7 and even 6 suffered from this, bringing back fan favourites like Ace and Dwayne Dibley just as fan service, this is a surefire sign of a writer running desperately short on decent ideas.

Emohawk is easily the worst episode of series 6. It has some good bits (the first half) but once they're just re-hashing polymorph badly it all falls down. Polymorph was a fun exploration of what the characters would be like without certain emotions.

Emohawk was just an excuse to bring back Ace and Dwayne and it didn't make sense - not least because the polymorph in that doesn't force Rimmer and Cat into situations that make them bitter/cool before taking their emotions. It just takes them.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Metro had an interview with Charlie Brooker today, which has a few slight spoilers about the plot of each episode.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
I think there's only one show that can start with the synopsis "It's a rollover on the Lottery..." and get me excited.

5 minutes into Him & Her and already got this Shakespearean dialogue:

"How was your day?"
"Played Sims, built a mansion, made an old man piss himself, yours?"
"She tried on every wedding dress and then we went to Pizza Hut and she made us all have pasta."

This is the point where I've gone from watching this show to just outright loving it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Twat who drives around on cars on telly says things that piss off normal people, more at eleven.

Seriously anyone with half a brain would learn to shut up when Steeve Coogan pens an open letter to the public telling your to keep your opinions to yourself.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Twat who drives around on cars on telly says things that piss off normal people, more at eleven.

Seriously anyone with half a brain would learn to shut up when Steeve Coogan pens an open letter to the public telling your to keep your opinions to yourself.

"We'd like to apologise for Mr Clarkson who sometimes exaggerates his opinions for comic effect". Why not just not broadcast him ever again, thanks.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

incredible bear posted:

I think there's only one show that can start with the synopsis "It's a rollover on the Lottery..." and get me excited.

5 minutes into Him & Her and already got this Shakespearean dialogue:

"How was your day?"
"Played Sims, built a mansion, made an old man piss himself, yours?"
"She tried on every wedding dress and then we went to Pizza Hut and she made us all have pasta."

This is the point where I've gone from watching this show to just outright loving it.

I loved this episode. Laura was possibly worse than ever, and the sexual assault reveal had me in cringing hysterics.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Taear posted:

"We'd like to apologise for Mr Clarkson who sometimes exaggerates his opinions for comic effect". Why not just not broadcast him ever again, thanks.

No, because it's funny to see people take him seriously. I love that Unison think that they can refer this to the police.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Jeremy Clarkson, who has controversial opinions for money.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The whole "it's a joke" part really does fall down when you realise he spends Boxing Day with Call Me Dave loving Cameron.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Junkenstein posted:

I loved this episode. Laura was possibly worse than ever, and the sexual assault reveal had me in cringing hysterics.
yeah it was a great episode. Everything Laura said to do with the kid was brilliant

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
apologies in advance for completely retarded but... I'm going to be moving in to a new flat and this is the first time I've going to have to possibly get my own TV licence. Basically, I'm not being completely stupid and thinking that just having a TV only plugged into a DVD player is going to get me hauled before the courts am I?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

apologies in advance for completely retarded but... I'm going to be moving in to a new flat and this is the first time I've going to have to possibly get my own TV licence. Basically, I'm not being completely stupid and thinking that just having a TV only plugged into a DVD player is going to get me hauled before the courts am I?

Ignore everything. A few of my mates just have playstations and they get a set of letters every year. Always ending with FINAL WARNING then returning to first warning.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

No, because it's funny to see people take him seriously. I love that Unison think that they can refer this to the police.

When you write for the Sun, when you're friends with David Cameron and when you front an incredibly popular show and use it as a front for making poo poo up about climate change it doesn't matter if you're joking or not any more.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Don't forget that you need a licence to watch live tv on iplayer too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

HoldYourFire posted:

You really do need a dedicated presenter or a comedian.

Sorry, Josh Groban was amazing :colbert:

I never know what to do with Buzzcocks. I love Fielding and dig Jupitus but since I'm not a big music buff I don't understand half the references.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 1, 2011

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Taear posted:

So does he want strikers to be maimed in front of their children or executed behind closed doors?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

They will send you a letter, because they work from a postcode database and any houses without a licence automatically gets a reminder letter. It doesn't mean you're about to be hauled before a magistrate. If they want to search your house, you don't have to let them in unless they have a warrant (it says so on the back of the paper licence). TV licences are for live TV, so you don't need one if all you're doing is watching DVDs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You can do a thing online that even stops the letters.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

They are not 'normal'. I was glad that these people are getting so upset about what Clarkson said - particularly the ridiculously childish, "we're going to the police!!".

Not everyone in the country thinks that these public sector workers should have gone on strike and it infuriates me to think that so many people striking honestly think that they're seen as being 'in the right' by the public at large.

This comment on an article that I saw sums up the situation perfectly:

quote:

When a radiographer on £32k a year will get a £16k a year pension after 40 years. Index linked and without risk and with contributions over 40 years of just £77k. A pension, not risk free, that would need contributions of £500k in the private (real) world. You can see how massive the the taxpayer subsidisation of these pensions are.

The public sector average wage is now £23k versus the private sectors £20k. The pension reforms are very modest and don`t affect anyone on a wage below £15k. So unions claiming dinner ladies, cleaners and the like will be affected (as the worst off) are lying.

When the public sector was lagging behind the average pay of the private then they were up in arms about parity of pay. Labour gave them parity and more. Now that the private pay has been decimated they no longer want parity. Only parity on the way up. Moans of race to the bottom otherwise, rather than an acceptance of adjusting to the economic reality. That must only affect the private workers.

Yes, the manner in which Clarkson said what he said isn't exactly laudable, but neither is going on strike and meaning that 6 in 10 state schools are closed down. A lot of union spokesmen have placed loads of emphasis on the importance of what they do. Someone had a go at Clarkson for "driving fast cars for a living" for example. If they do have this responsibility (i.e. doing 'proper', 'important' work) then they should respect this and continue to work rather than acting like a children and moaning "IT'S NOT FAIR" and going on strike but talking as if it's the government's fault that access to schools and hospitals has been disrupted.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Listen to the state of this clown.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
I can't understand why everyone's so surprised and shocked that Clarkson said something outrageous. He's already offended pretty much everyone on Earth - he revels in it. Unison have played right into his hands, now he can tick them off the big list he has stuck on his fridge door of 'people I've made angry'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

dos4gw posted:

They are not 'normal'. I was glad that these people are getting so upset about what Clarkson said - particularly the ridiculously childish, "we're going to the police!!".

Not everyone in the country thinks that these public sector workers should have gone on strike and it infuriates me to think that so many people striking honestly think that they're seen as being 'in the right' by the public at large.

This comment on an article that I saw sums up the situation perfectly:

Yes, the manner in which Clarkson said what he said isn't exactly laudable, but neither is going on strike and meaning that 6 in 10 state schools are closed down. A lot of union spokesmen have placed loads of emphasis on the importance of what they do. Someone had a go at Clarkson for "driving fast cars for a living" for example. If they do have this responsibility (i.e. doing 'proper', 'important' work) then they should respect this and continue to work rather than acting like a children and moaning "IT'S NOT FAIR" and going on strike but talking as if it's the government's fault that access to schools and hospitals has been disrupted.

Wow it was only 6 out of 10 schools closed in England? In Scotland it was 99%. :scotland: