Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just a heads-up: everything at ArcDream's store is 25% off until the 30th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I finished reading Dinosaurs... IN SPAAAACE! last week and I enjoyed it. I wish there was a little more information about when the main setting is supposed to me. I take it that it's supposed to be early 50's and that it doesn't really matter but it would be nice to have a little more of an insight into what Stolze had in mind. I also wish he would do more examples of the system, but that's a pretty common wish I have. All that said, I can't wait to get a bunch of friends together with some beer and get silly with this.

Good to know about the Arc Dream sale too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lemony posted:

So, I just started flipping through my copy of Dinosaurs in Space today. It is everything I could have hoped for. Which is to say that it's basically X-Com the RPG, only turned up to 11. The only thing that seems to stop it from replicating the X-Com experience is the apparent lack of frequent horrible death. Still, totally worth the money.

drat, yet another RPG I gotta buy.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Lemony posted:

The only thing that seems to stop it from replicating the X-Com experience is the apparent lack of frequent horrible death. Still, totally worth the money.

Frequent Horrible Death is well-supported in DiS! You're expected to essentially suicide/abandon your character whenever they're not fun anymore at absolutely no mechanical penalty (you keep all your tokens and build someone new with an equal total).

Also, anyone not totally on board with the GREYS WIN future should kill themselves immediately so the archon controlling them can get someone more interesting with equal tokens and points.

edit: italic is not spoiler...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I finally got my copy of Dinosaurs In Spaaaaace! the other day. Hopefully I'll have time to sit down and read it soon.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just a heads up: IPR just got in Third Year of our Reign, which collects the remaining supplements in book format. Basically it' all the material for Nain, Ardwin, and Out of the Violent Planet.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'd never heard of IPR before, that's cool. Their search is… interesting; searching 'Greg Stolze' doesn't bring up all his stuff and searching 'Reign' brought up a ton of unrelated poo poo including that masterpiece of Japanese ghost stories Kaiden: A Japanese Ghost Story :psyduck:

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
For anyone interested in how combat in Reign plays out, we've just had our first two scuffles over in the Frontier Town thread. Check pages 3 and 4.

In summary: looks pretty dangerous! One combat ended in the party calling for a truce, the second ended with the baddies fleeing.

The first combat was the 6 PCs plus their 8 threat 1 followers vs 6 bad guys (two ranged, four melee, with 5 dice in their attack pools). First round went well for the Party, getting off a surprise bowshot and some sneaking into melee range. Second round saw two PCs get hit in the head with 3K damage each (you die at 4K to the head). Then they called truce and the baddies agreed, because two of them were badly wounded as well.

Second combat was the 6 PCs (no followers this time) versus two stronger warriors (both with 7 in their attack pools and one with an ED. EDs are awesome) and their 8 threat 3 minions. One of the main enemies was taken out in the first round. Then by the second round half of the minions were dead so the rest fled. The other baddie leader tried to run but had his head cut in half with a lucky 2x10 (thanks again to an ED. EDs are awesome, remember).

Conclusion??? Early days, but it looks like getting hit in the head can really turn the fight around quickly. Expert Dice are really powerful: if you have a dice pool of 5+an ED, then you set your ED to 10 and you really only need one other dice to roll a 10 and the other guy's dead if you're using a big two-handed weapon. Conversely, getting hit in the chest, head, arm or leg? Ehhh, unless the limb is disabled, it kinda feels like these areas are big damage soaks. In the first fight one of the baddy archers had: 3K to head, 5K to chest, 1S to arms, legs and chest, and he was fully operational. But we'll see. We also haven't seen armour play a huge role yet, but it seems super fantastically good (the killingest bow in the game got reduced to 1K when it hit the Axeman in chainmail. Would take a loooong time to kill someone completely armoured).

Also, wide hits are really, really good. Even if you just poke the other guy in the foot with a 4x1, that's awesome because it ruins one of his sets.

Other thing I noticed is that multi-actions (getting more than two sets) seem pretty hard to pull off.

Anyway, for the kind of game I'm going for I'm really satisfied with how the combat works. There are definite consequences for drawing swords (even though they won, the PCs will be wounded for the next few days at least), and you've always got a chance of death hovering over you rather than being able to quantify HP ticking down and knowing you're safe for another few rounds. Which is what I wanted out of it. Wouldn't work for a dungeon crawl, and probably too deadly for high fantasy, but it works great when you want your game to be a bunch of planning/manipulation/manoeuvring/fight-if-we-have-to kind of thing. I think the party will probably try to massively load the odds in their favour if they have to fight again, and that's cool, that'll be fun. I want it to be the kind of game where combat happens because players decide they're going to risk it, whether that means actively seeking out a fight, as they did in this case to get their stolen property back, or because they push deeper into the dark forest trying to expand their territory and run across monsters, or because they make some decision that puts them in danger down the road (like consorting with the Tribals, which just may get them lynched if they don't come up with a good explanation right quick!)

Anyway, we're about to get into the Company side of things, so I'll report back when we have some experience of that.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Between this and my short run in the Tunnels of Moscow game, there's not a lot of reason to ever set the ED lower than 10 for attacks. Which is a bit disappointing to me, since the text makes Expert Dice feel like it would be great way to put more tactical control in combat, when in fact there's little reason not to shoot for a 2x10 that's both deadly and very unlikely to gobble.

I'm glad to be shown wrong, though. ORE is a lot of fun.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I have yet to actually play any ORE games unfortunately, but it seems to me from reading Reign and Wild Talents that Wiggle Dice are a better system than Expert Dice. It seems more elegant, simpler and more useful for players. I think they're in the Reign book as an optional rule, though I can't remember what they're called, but maybe use that instead? Or try it for a fight and see?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

rantmo posted:

I have yet to actually play any ORE games unfortunately, but it seems to me from reading Reign and Wild Talents that Wiggle Dice are a better system than Expert Dice. It seems more elegant, simpler and more useful for players. I think they're in the Reign book as an optional rule, though I can't remember what they're called, but maybe use that instead? Or try it for a fight and see?

In Reign they're called Master Dice, but you can only have one special die per skill.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

TurninTrix posted:

Between this and my short run in the Tunnels of Moscow game, there's not a lot of reason to ever set the ED lower than 10 for attacks. Which is a bit disappointing to me, since the text makes Expert Dice feel like it would be great way to put more tactical control in combat, when in fact there's little reason not to shoot for a 2x10 that's both deadly and very unlikely to gobble.

I'm glad to be shown wrong, though. ORE is a lot of fun.

That was just the combats we got into. In ORE Striking at the legs and arms is useful for the reasons you'd think: They've got partial cover, a shield, you want to disarm or hobble them, already injured there, etc.

Against :zerg: mutants there's no reason not to take the kill shot.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
A brief reminder that the Tunnels of Moscow game has a slot open right now, if anyone would like more Reign combat.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425981

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

That was just the combats we got into. In ORE Striking at the legs and arms is useful for the reasons you'd think: They've got partial cover, a shield, you want to disarm or hobble them, already injured there, etc.

Against :zerg: mutants there's no reason not to take the kill shot.

Oh yeah, cover and armor did slip from my mind. Maybe some of us should actually get armor in this game. Or at least a shield.

Still, aiming for the legs sounds like it would be easy to Parry otherwise, even in cover. But that's assuming that the opponent's gonna be setting up the parry instead of actually counterattacking.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TurninTrix posted:

Still, aiming for the legs sounds like it would be easy to Parry otherwise
That's one of the big weaknesses of the ORE combat system, the worst place to be hit is also the easiest place to hit. The odds of rolling a couple of tens on a non-ED roll are the same as rolling a couple of ones, but the ones are so, so easy to squish. You're more likely to avoid a blow to your torso than your head!

There's alternate combat rules on Nemesis.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I'm in Children's game, posted above. My character is an (annoyingly) pacifist sort of guy, and even then he can do many things in combat. Since this is a very Stolzy system, he can enact quite a few of the "Six Ways to Stop a Fight". I gave him a bunch of spear skill specifically so it can be used as a tool for disarms and chokeholds and all of that rather than a straight up weapon. The fact that REIGN comes pre-loaded with rules for all of that sort of stuff makes combat a lot more fun than just doing a basic "uh i attack the guy" every round.

Hopefully my character doesn't get their throat cut in their sleep from the party getting sick of them.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
That's a great list (although there's no law in Camp Sijpoda!). And your peacable ways -have- earned the party five new diggers, so unless you manage to cost them more than that maybe you won't get sleep-knifed yet. Maybe?

Now, anyone have any advice for running Company stuff? Especially with tiny companies? With 1 Treasure and 1 Territory? How's it been working in the Tunnels game, Cantor?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If we'd kill them we'd be a two and a half treasure party :colbert:

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
The Nain magic system is really interesting. I'd love to give it a try.

How 'bout someone run a short Nain game so we can test it out?

Or someone just run any Reign game!!!!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Impermanent posted:

After you read Unknown Armies, everything you see becomes Unknown Armies. The Colbert Report ripping on O'Reily becomes a an upstart challenging the old Godwalker of the Demagogue. Wikileaks becomes a platform for the attempted ascension of the Anonymous Whistleblower. The old guy who comes into your local diner every day, pays in lint, mutters about the dogs he's seen, and gets coffee and a bagel becomes a burnt out Urbanomancer.

This. I haven't played RPGs or Unknown Armies in 5 years but I still make those connections. I keep trying to stat up songs and albums by The Hold Steady in UA. Holly is an avatar of The Naked Goddess who Ascended but came back and Sapphire uses the awesome clairvoyance rules.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Test Pattern posted:

It's worth noting that the published scenarios for UA run the gamut from highly experimental game to nothing-supernatural-here fakeout and include, notably, an adventure that no one is going to run anywhere for at least the next five years (mentioned above, "Fly to Heaven" is, no poo poo, 9/11 the RPG, published in '99)..

My GM ran us through that a few years ago as a playable flashback involving The New Inquisition. I'm an American expat in Australia, and the other players were all Australians. I was pretty uncomfortable, but it fit the tone of the game.

In another game under another GM my character was taken over by an Epideromancer demon. Our group had just came out of an adversarial PC vs PC Mage game, so I had control over my possessed character. I ripped out 'my' eyeball and melted another PC. No saving throw.

I felt bad, but it was okay. He rolled up a Diplomancer and in the last session brought in expensive booze (the player, I mean) and used it to help me convince the party to assassinate an Aussie pop star I hated. My urbanomancer got the venue he was killed at to change it's name, gaining a Sig charge (I think) and stealing the pop star's soul. The game ended then.

A few weeks later the venue changed its name in real life.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unknown-Armies-RPG-Lot-8-books-/300642929317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ffb70aa5

Just noticed an ebay auction for 8 of the 9 Unknown Armies books - anyone looking to complete their collection might want to take a look sometime in the next seven hours. If they had "To Go" in there, I'd be buying it myself.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Count Chocula posted:

I felt bad, but it was okay. He rolled up a Diplomancer and in the last session brought in expensive booze (the player, I mean) and used it to help me convince the party to assassinate an Aussie pop star I hated.

Was it Shannon Noll? Because if so, no court in the world would convict you.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Thuryl posted:

Was it Shannon Noll? Because if so, no court in the world would convict you.

My secret fear is that Shannon Noll is related to me by blood (a shared, uncommon surname on his mother's side).

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Ben Lee. I have my reasons.

Speaking of Auatralian occult weirdness, I saw the 'Eternity' plaque in Town Hall and wondered if it was possible to somehow get a posthumous Major charge. Arthur Stace was obviously an Urbanomancer (and maybe an Avatar of The Messenger?), and having 'Eternity' written on the Harbour Bridge in 2000 would have given him some serious mojo.

His chalk is probably pretty powerful too.

For the uninitiated, The Eternity Man is basically a real life UA character:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Stace

quote:

Stace was born in Balmain, in the inner-west of Sydney. The child of alcoholics, he was brought up in poverty. In order to survive, he resorted to stealing bread and milk and searching for scraps of food in bins. By the age of 12, Stace, with virtually no formal schooling, had become a ward of the state. As a teenager, he became an alcoholic and was subsequently sent to jail at 15. Afterwards, he worked as a "cockatoo" or a look-out for a Two-up "school". In his twenties, he was a scout for his sisters' brothels. At age 26, in March 1916 enlisted for the Great War (World War One) with the 19th Battalion 5th Brigade AIF, entering with the 16th Reinforcements, service number 5934. Suffered recurring bouts of bronchitis and pleurisy which led to his medical discharge 2nd April 1919.

↑Jump back a section
HideConversion to Christianity

Stace converted to Christianity on the night of 6 August 1930, after hearing an inspirational sermon by the Reverend R. B. S. Hammond at St. Barnabas Church, Broadway. Inspired by the words, he became enamoured with the notion of eternity. Two years later, on 14 November 1932, Arthur was further inspired by the preaching of evangelist John G. Ridley[2], MC on "The echoes of Eternity" from Isaiah 57:15:

"For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth Eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones."

John Ridley's words,"Eternity, Eternity, I wish that I could sound or shout that word to everyone in the streets of Sydney. You've got to meet it, where will you spend Eternity?" proved crucial in Stace's decision to tell others about his faith. In an interview, Stace said, "Eternity went ringing through my brain and suddenly I began crying and felt a powerful call from the Lord to write Eternity." Even though he was illiterate and could hardly write his own name Arthur, legibly, "the word 'Eternity' came out smoothly, in a beautiful copperplate script. I couldn't understand it, and I still can't."

After eight or nine years, he tried to write something else, "Obey God" and then five years later, "God or Sin" but he could not bring himself to stop writing "Eternity".

The Sydney City Council brought him to the attention of the police as they had rules about the defacing of pavements, so much so that he narrowly avoided arrest around twenty-four times. Each time he was caught, he responded with, "But I had permission from a higher source".

Several mornings a week for the next 35 years, Stace left his wife, Pearl and their home in Bulwarra Road, Pyrmont around 5am to go around the streets of Sydney and chalk the word "Eternity" on footpaths, train station entrances and anywhere else he could think of. It is estimated that he wrote the word around 500,000 times over the 35 years. Workers arriving in the city would see the word freshly written, but not the writer, and so, "The man who writes Eternity" became a legend in Sydney. The mystery was solved when Reverend Lisle M. Thompson, who preached at the church where Stace worked as a cleaner, saw him take a piece of chalk from his pocket and write the word on the footpath. Thompson wrote about Stace's life and an interview was published in the Sydney Sunday Telegraph on 21 June 1956.

In 1963, photographer Trevor Dallen cornered Arthur and asked to take a few pictures of him writing his famous phrase. After four photos, Trevor ran out of film and asked for Stace to stay put while he got more film. Upon Trevor's return, Stace was gone.

Stace's grave in Botany Cemetery
Stace died of a stroke in a nursing home at the age of 83 on 30 July 1967. He bequeathed his body to the University of Sydney; subsequently, his remains were buried with those of his wife at Botany Cemetery (General 15, no. 729) around two years later.

The National Museum of Australia in Canberra holds one of Stace's iconic 'Eternity' signs, which he chalked on a piece of cardboard for a fellow parishioner. The museum also has an Eternity gallery, inspired by Stace's story. The gallery features 50 personal stories from ordinary and extraordinary Australians. The stories are tied together by emotional themes including joy, fear, separation, chance and loneliness, which are all elements of Stace's story.

The replica Eternity at Town Hall Square, Sydney
In Sydney today, the word "Eternity" can still be seen written in three places:

On Stace's gravestone in Botany Cemetery.
Inside the bell in the GPO clock tower which had been dismantled during World War II. When the clock tower was rebuilt in the 1960s, the bell was brought out of storage and as the workmen were installing it they noticed, inside, the word "Eternity" in Stace's chalk. This is the only surviving "Eternity" by Stace's own hand in Sydney. (No one ever found out how Stace had been able to get to the bell, which had been sealed up).
In Town Hall Square, between St Andrew's Cathedral and the Sydney Town Hall. When the area was redeveloped in the 1970s, a wrought aluminium replica of the word in Stace's original copperplate handwriting was embedded in the footpath near a fountain as an eternal memorial to Stace.
As a tribute to the man known as Mr Eternity, the Sydney Harbour Bridge was lit up with the word "Eternity" as part of the celebrations for the beginning of the year 2000.[3]

The Eternity Man is an opera based on Stace's life, written by Jonathan Mills to a libretto by Dorothy Porter. This was adapted in 2008 into a film directed by Julien Temple.[4]

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

My secret fear is that Shannon Noll is related to me by blood (a shared, uncommon surname on his mother's side).
But... Shannon is a girl's name.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Splicer posted:

But... Shannon is a girl's name.

In upside-down land, Shannon is a boy's name, and Shazza is a girl's name. :iiam:

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Reigns company rules, are they robust enough to stat Alexander the great's empire from start to finish?

My idea was to really just split things into like "Macedonian troops in persia," "unified Greece under Antipater," "random persian city that we're besieging", "All the lands under control of Darius 3"

Since his empire was pretty much the entire known world, or it would be for pcs, it seems odd to put into one company. Then again if they're on the outside looking at his forces it might make sense to slap Troops 5 territory 6 on it or something, i don't know i'll have to read more reign.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I totally want to gift myself Unknown Armies for Latetmas. There's absolutely no chance of a series revival and a new edition coming anywhere in the near future, right?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Cyphoderus posted:

I totally want to gift myself Unknown Armies for Latetmas. There's absolutely no chance of a series revival and a new edition coming anywhere in the near future, right?

Atlas Games is probably considering it, considering that they were supposed to release three new books for UA this year, but it got cancelled.

John Tynes is out of the RPG biz nowadays, though.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009

canada jezus posted:

Reigns company rules, are they robust enough to stat Alexander the great's empire from start to finish?

My idea was to really just split things into like "Macedonian troops in persia," "unified Greece under Antipater," "random persian city that we're besieging", "All the lands under control of Darius 3"

Since his empire was pretty much the entire known world, or it would be for pcs, it seems odd to put into one company. Then again if they're on the outside looking at his forces it might make sense to slap Troops 5 territory 6 on it or something, i don't know i'll have to read more reign.

You could stat it under Reign's company rules since there's a bit of leeway in the individual numbers: 6 Territory is "The Biggest", whatever "The Biggest" might mean in your world. But out of interest what do you plan to do in the game?

To me, the Company rules work best in the background. It's not the best system for working out what happens when two countries go to war. But it's a really fantastically fun system for working out what the PCs are up to during that war and how their actions influence it. For that, it can be useful to have the Company stats in mind.

I don't know what you're planning, but lets say your PCs were an upstart conspiracy working against his empire, which is almost certainly 6 in Might and Territory and Treasure, but has low Sovereignty (I don't actually know historically: a bunch of people forced into an empire by war, and didn't it fall apart pretty quickly after he died? Sounds like low Sovereignty). It also probably has a few Assets, such Epic History and Keen (your military forces love killing and are +2 in Might against weaker nations).

Reign would work super well for tracking how the PCs chipped away at his empire: took a bit of territory here, stole from the treasure there, etc. You have a real measure for how well you're doing. Progress Quest! I mean, the actual Company system isn't fun as a game on its own, it's just a tool for all these fun things to happen.

If they were actually part of the Empire and conquering other nations, I think it could still work too, but since Macedon would probably already has 6 in Might and Territory and Treasure, maybe there'd be less of a sense of progress (though that would be historically fitting: "When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer.")

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Well he died in 323bc, in 321 40 years of war erupted and by 319 (i think) they were handing out governor positions for quashing rebellions, so yeah low Sovereignty. Especially since alexander alienated a good part of his core troops before all the conquering was done et all.

Game plan wise, its preliminary but at this point i was thinking the pcs are officers or otherwise important people in his army, work their way up into his inner circle, see that he is completely insane/a nice guy but misguided/Working on an occult ritual that will ascend him to divinity. Haven't quite decided yet.

Probably work in the pcs background, say you have an egyptian (or if i go pseudo alexander setting the analogue country) in there, maybe he slaughters the poo poo out of the pcs hometown but hey, you get to be governor buddy :thumbsup:

I figured reign was 1 messy enough combat wise, can support like mythological creatures if i need them. The company rules seem great to keep track of all the factions floating around.

edit: Are any of the other Ore games compatible with reign btw? Like could you use wild talents for hella superpowers?

canada jezus fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 6, 2012

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The Company rules work best as representing the PC's networks and organizations they're part of. When your cyberpunk clan goes to war against a megacorp, and your party goes in to sear their mainframe or whatever, your Company can represent how much of a distraction they can make, or how well they can secure the city block you need to raid with firebombs while your party's doing the cool stuff inside.

Companies are a communal resource to be used, more than an extra party member everyone gets to order around, I feel.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thought you guys might want to see this.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I read it through and the system seems pretty neat. I'm not totally sure what sort of game you'd use it for, though. It looks like something more modern.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Okay, now I'm interested.

G posted:

In short, what is HORIZON about?

In my mind, I call it “fantasy science.”

In fantasy, technology is discarded, magic is embraced, and the whys and wherefores of magic are often handwaved or ignored. In science fiction, technology is embraced, and often thought through very carefully as a foundation for character conflicts. Then there’s science fantasy, where technology is name-checked and invoked, but where the details are handwaved or ignored. To forestall any potential arguments, I love all three of these, but they’re different things.

With HORIZON’s ‘fantasy science’ I want to take the presumptions of fantasy–that magic exists and that people can learn it and do awesome stuff with it–but think them through with the care applied to hard SF. Consider the common trope of ‘emotion-powered magic.’ HORIZON’s going to have that (that’s why ‘Love’ and ‘Hate’ are numerically statted) but consider what it means to have physical effects based on feelings. Suddenly, what is (in our world) a blurry and self-reported mess becomes quantifiable. “Sorry,” the prince can say, “I know you love me — you used a love-based spell to lift up seventeen pounds of rock, after all. But SHE used the same spell and lifted twenty-five pounds. I’m forced to conclude that her feelings are almost 33% more genuine!”

This impulse arose from an internet discussion of modern day “hidden magic” games, like UA and the World of Darkness. There’s always some excuse for why the magic is hidden. “People freak out when they see it,” or “It’s just not as good as technology so you have to be a little bit crazy to prefer it” or the always beloved age-old conspiracy. In HORIZON, I want to take that issue seriously. I want the setting to start at a level of development that’s just a few steps above neolithic, both for technology and for the understanding of natural law. In this case, ‘natural law’ includes magic. As the game progresses, I want to see the future unfolding. I want scientific and occult revolutions and discoveries happening to the PCs, at the game table. I want the PCs to be the Archimedes and Marie Curie and Alexander of their setting. Then, as history moves forward (supported by more “fluff,” setting material) you can see the history unfold. I want a hinged history of the setting that covers centuries, so you can play a sort of Led Zeppelin version of “Blackadder.” When the Axe-Hands invade, your PCs rally the tribes, fight the strangers, and make it a short and nasty war? Okay, in a hundred years that means X. Or your PCs settle down for a siege, change the culture so that even after the war, the tribes are militarized and at each other’s throats for a century of low-intensity-conflict? That means Y. Which setting do you want to continue the game in, or do you want to stay at the early era and continue to shift the future?

A lot of this is influenced, of course, by Call of Cthulhu. I’ve played CoC games set in both World Wars, in the twenties, in the thirties, in the nineties and so on. It’s not a time travel game, any more than HORIZON is, but I want it to have that same sense of sweep. Also to have the PCs be really, really important people.
More later, on how HORIZON is set on a planet of disasters.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He had me at "fantasy science." Then I read the last sentence. :swoon:

Shoot, now I'm going to end up buying Reign and UA and everything else.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

After getting my group pumped for an Unknown Armies game, I started paging through the conspiracy theories/ideas section. I had a laugh remarking to my players that the section on Elvis simply reads "He's dead."

One of the players then piped up with the following suggestion.

"Maybe the reason Elvis is 'just dead' while all this other stuff is flying around is because the universe needs someone to be 'just dead' while people wish it were otherwise. Perhaps there's a secret cabal that assassinates people trying to resurrect The King, because if they didn't, the universe would split apart."

God drat.

Unknown Armies owns.

My players own.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 12, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
While Unknown Armies does own, I think its safe to put this one on your player owning.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I forgot what thread this was and read that description. "drat," I thought, "That is a very ambitious idea that could go to poo poo if not properly handled."

Then I saw that it was by Greg Stolze.