Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Trying to level up my Vergil and come up with a reliable Zero->Vergil DHC. I know about this combo, but it's loving hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQp307jv7Lo

Is there a simpler Vergil followup I could do that's easier to hit but is still a step above just doing Dimension Slash?

And what's an easy starter Spiral Swords combo to use outside of DHC? I'm not very used to that super yet.

Dr. Spiderman posted:

Someday I'll learn to not call assists against a level 3 X-factor Ryu.

Or Ryu with meter period. Or especially Ryu with 2 meters and x-factor on deck. You gotta be careful around that dude.

I'm also gradually learning to be careful with assists against guys with fullscreen supers. Magneto, Wesker, Vergil... those guys can gently caress your assists up.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Metrohunter posted:

There was a video earlier where Chun's j.L was shown to reset damage scaling, maybe Nova has something similar?

If that's true, then this is usless. That glitch requires the enemy hold down forward throughout the combo (once the combo starts they don't have to switch directions even if the enemy does, just hold whatever down forward was when the combo was started).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Broken Loose posted:

Desk doesn't actually find these glitches. He just posts videos of glitches other people found.

He finds a good amount of stuff himself, man.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

flatluigi posted:

He finds a good amount of stuff himself, man.

He does. In this particular video, though, most of the glitches and things were found by others and just aesthetically compiled by Desk.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hey all, I have a code for the strider/doom/sent/akuma costume pack for the PS3 version. Please only use it if you intend on maining one or more of these characters, I want these doll costumes going to a good home!

B74P-A9ND-TFQK

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Hey all, I have a code for the strider/doom/sent/akuma costume pack for the PS3 version. Please only use it if you intend on maining one or more of these characters, I want these doll costumes going to a good home!
Congrats, some unregistered pubbie took that code within 6 nanoseconds and your goonerocity was all for naught :smuggo:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

NecroMonster posted:

If that's true, then this is usless. That glitch requires the enemy hold down forward throughout the combo (once the combo starts they don't have to switch directions even if the enemy does, just hold whatever down forward was when the combo was started).

Who cares if its useless, desk isn't posting tutorial and bnb vids he's posting neat vids where he explores the limitations of the game engines and shows off glitches.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

The Rokstar posted:

Congrats, some unregistered pubbie took that code within 6 nanoseconds and your goonerocity was all for naught :smuggo:

Sometimes I wish you could set posts to be user-viewable only.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Raserys posted:

Sometimes I wish you could set posts to be user-viewable only.

I think if you have platinum you can go into ms paint slap the code in there and then attach it so only goons can read it. It most likely won't cut down on people taking it without posting but v:v:v

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

Dren posted:

That's pretty worthless when IF can already do a 900k BnB.

why would that make a reset worthless

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Mr. Unlucky posted:

B74P-A9ND-TFQK

Someone got it.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

The KoRn Identity posted:

Here are the two scenarios:

A.) you do a 900k combo that if you land the first hit, it will kill all characters with 900k health or less without the chance to escape.

B.) you do 300k but then break your combo to do a reset that can be easily teched, reacted to and/or punished with no guarantee of landing the second combo which wont even kill phoenix and gives your opponent a chance to live, which in marvel means you lose.

Resets are very valid in a game like Marvel with characters that don't have one touch combos. A character like Strider relies heavily on resets because of his really low damage output, however, there is not a single situation in the entire game that would call for you to intentionally drop a 1 touch death combo in order to do a reset.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Parallax Scroll posted:

Or Ryu with meter period. Or especially Ryu with 2 meters and x-factor on deck. You gotta be careful around that dude.

I'm also gradually learning to be careful with assists against guys with fullscreen supers. Magneto, Wesker, Vergil... those guys can gently caress your assists up.

Normal jump, fly, dash up, call your assist, and then attack. As long as you start flight from a normal jump you can call assists no matter where you are on screen.

Or, if you're playing as Spencer, jump, call assist, and zip-wire horizontally at the peak of your jump. You'll just barely be above a ground level Ryu or Akuma beam hyper. Can't tell you how many guys I've blown up thinking they were about to get a happy birthday.

Disease
Oct 6, 2011
Anyone having luck using Dr Strange online? I can usually do the 2-3 jump loop combos offline but if there is even a hint of lag it screws me up. I'm kind of hoping there's some decent combo that gives him good meter / damage that doesn't require any tight timing - just doing QCB+L, d+H, f+H, S, jumping MMH f+H S into Vishanti after a crumple right now and the damage is crap.

He seems like a legit character if you're execution is on point and you have the right assists. Been running Arthur / Vergil / Strange and try to tag in Strange for Arthur after getting Gold Armor. This works well since Strange daggers and Rapid Slash are close to being the best possible assists for Arthur and gold daggers for Strange and Vergil is kind of a no-brainer. Arthur is a better anchor than you'd think as well. I'm not expecting to win any tournaments with this team but it is fun as hell and beats the crap out of scrubs and pulls in the hate mail.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

OK, using Storm's fair wind against Haggar until the other guy starts screaming bloody murder is my new favorite thing.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Disease posted:

Anyone having luck using Dr Strange online? I can usually do the 2-3 jump loop combos offline but if there is even a hint of lag it screws me up. I'm kind of hoping there's some decent combo that gives him good meter / damage that doesn't require any tight timing - just doing QCB+L, d+H, f+H, S, jumping MMH f+H S into Vishanti after a crumple right now and the damage is crap.

You can jump cancel the launcher into H teleport, then j.H, f+H, land, (j.MMH, f+H)x2, H, f+H, S, j.MH, f+H, S, Vishanti.

The stick movement on the teleport is kind of tricky (tiger knee reverse DP), but the timing on the rest is more lenient than most of the jump loop setups which is nice for playing online. It's usually about 600-645k damage depending on what happened before the launcher.

If you really want to simplify the timing, just do j.MH, f+H once instead of the double loop. Less damage obviously, but still better than just launcher into magic series.

Nate405 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 30, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The Rokstar posted:

I can't remember, does plasma storm cause hard knockdown? My concern with that would be that they could tech out of it.
Kind of an old post but I tested this the other night and plasma storm causes soft knockdown, and not only that but if you DHC from plasma storm into tools of survival in the hopes that it will whiff and you can get a picture out of it, tools of survival hits after plasma storm no matter when you DHC out of it.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Rokstar posted:

I guess next time you'll have to be quicker on the draw. I hope whoever got it enjoys it! :D

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Holy poo poo, I just got the guide in the mail today and it is MASSIVE. Between this and the new stick I got, I'm in for a very masochistic couple of months with this game.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Chances of a 900k combo for one meter doing 900k damage and killing a guy: 100%.
Chances of an escapable reset that does 900k damage doing 900k damage and killing a guy: Not 100%.

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

Dren posted:

Chances of a 900k combo for one meter doing 900k damage and killing a guy: 100%.
Chances of an escapable reset that does 900k damage doing 900k damage and killing a guy: Not 100%.

if cant do 900 with 1 meter

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
How about 921 for 2 meters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-T_Je4NJPI

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

if cant do 900 with 1 meter

Builds 1 during combo uses 2 = 1 meter

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The guy has a point, if you have 0 bars and/or you are facing a character over 921k hp then the reset has value. Arguing otherwise is dumb.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Iron fist can do 900k for 1 meter pretty easily with proper assists (spencer helps a ton)

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

Dren posted:

Builds 1 during combo uses 2 = 1 meter

if you start the combo with 5 bars youre out two so its a two meter combo

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
If you're sitting on five bars why on earth would you go for a reset instead of just killing?

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Has anyone found a use for C.Viper's Optic Blast in a combo...? combo starter...? ender...? anything really..

It seems pretty useless at this point...

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 30, 2011

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Has anyone found a use for C.Viper's Optic Blast in a combo...?

makes her fullscreen options less predictable

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

Fellblade posted:

The guy has a point, if you have 0 bars and/or you are facing a character over 921k hp then the reset has value. Arguing otherwise is dumb.

Even with the lower meter gain, you can EASILY gain 1 meter in a combo to finish it off with a super. He posted Iron Fist of all characters, who has lovely resets but amazingly huge damage. To not finish your combos with Iron Fist is a dumb thing. Magneto resets are okay, Iron Fist resets are not. Especially the one in that video that makes it look like a Street Fighter 4 combo video.

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

Iron fist can do 900k for 1 meter pretty easily with proper assists (spencer helps a ton)

thats if and spencer, not if

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Why are you trying so hard to make it seem like your lovely reset is better than just killing a character in one combo? Is it an ego thing?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Are you guys trolling? There are characters in the game above 900k hp, sure they aren't the majority but they do exist. Planning for the circumstance that you have to kill one of these guys in one combo is a good idea. Nowhere have I seen this guy say "I use my reset on sub-900k hp characters!", not that he hasn't chosen some stupid counterpoints himself admittedly.

You confirm a hit on near full HP Thor/Tron/Hulk, do you:

A. Do 300k, reset, a guaranteed 50/50 chance to kill.

B. 900k, attempt to land another hit where he is free to tag out or xfactor or dhc (less than 50% chance easily), hopefully that worked and now kill.

C. Blow your xfactor.

I'd choose A or C over B any day of the week.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
That IF reset aside, when is it a good time to do a reset instead of damage is a pretty interesting question.

The most notable resets I can think of are Viscant's Wesker resets. Resets are a key part of that team since they facilitate huge damage and meter gain and allow dark phoenix to come out. Did anyone pay attention to how Viscant played in matches when Phoenix was snapped in and killed? Did he go for resets when his combos weren't enough to kill or did he go for damage?

The way I see it going for a reset and not getting it (especially one where you haven't done a lot of damage leading up to the reset like that IF one) doesn't get you very much. Killing a character if you hit the reset is obviously very good.

On the other hand if you go for damage and score 80%+ damage on a character you've given your opponent something to worry about. Their character is now vulnerable to chip or a few stray hits. Hopefully you can finish off that character but if you can't you may be rewarded with a raw tag you can punish or an opponent who will waste two meters getting their character out with a DHC.

It seems like playing straight up and going for damage is the best option most of the time.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

purkey posted:

OK, using Storm's fair wind against Haggar until the other guy starts screaming bloody murder is my new favorite thing.

My friend runs Haggar on point, I'll have to try this.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Fellblade posted:

A. Do 300k, reset, a guaranteed 50/50 chance to kill.

"Guaranteed 50/50 chance" doesn't mean anything, but that aside, a pure 50/50 would be a beautiful reset, but that is not what he posted.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
If you're like me (horrible), you'll be mashing Hulk's anti-air assist in hopes someone tries to reset you.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Has anyone found a use for C.Viper's Optic Blast in a combo...? combo starter...? ender...? anything really..

I really really wish they'd change the command...

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Brosnan posted:

Why are you trying so hard to make it seem like your lovely reset is better than just killing a character in one combo? Is it an ego thing?

Well for some characters like Nemesis or Haggar for example, they don't actually sacrifice much damage by going for a reset attempt instead of ending the combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

It probably helps that Haggar and Nemesis have inescapable (if you don't have an airdash) resets..

But generally yeah if you have 2 meters at the start of a combo then you should go for a kill combo. If you've got one meter it's on you to decide whether it's worth spending the meter for the kill (if it's guaranteed) and leaving yourself open to XF2 momentum because you more or less have to take some form of risk (reset, TAC, sacrifice XF) to finish off their second character.

Obviously top tier teams and really good combos can somewhat bypass this, but overall that's the general pace the game currently follows.

Also spending a meter at the end of a combo tends to leave you in a neutral/reset state instead of continuing to have momentum so it's very favorable to not super at all and go for the reset.

By sacrificing meter you're also sacrificing the ability to shut down assists/punish assists effectively if you're a character with a projectile super, and generally losing out on whatever specific tools your supers provide.

An easy example would be Hawkeye, whom without meter you can basically superjump for free and press buttons all day in the air on. However, with even one meter the prospect suddenly becomes far riskier because he can blow you out of the sky and place the momentum at his advantage instead of neutral.

• Locked thread