Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

-Atom- posted:

This may be the funniest podcast I've ever listened to.
What am I missing? I listened to like five minutes of that episode and it just sounded like a line-up of lovely one-joke gimmicks.

e: That sounds a little more dickish than I intended. Since apparently everyone but me found it hilarious, I'm genuinely at a loss as to what I'm missing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

TetsuoTW posted:

What am I missing? I listened to like five minutes of that episode and it just sounded like a line-up of lovely one-joke gimmicks.

e: That sounds a little more dickish than I intended. Since apparently everyone but me found it hilarious, I'm genuinely at a loss as to what I'm missing here.

I don't know, if you don't find it funny then you don't find it funny.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

TetsuoTW posted:

They're all characters from Comedy Bang Bang. It's not just that they're over the top, it's also that they're improvising as these characters. And done by three exceptionally funny people.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Well that makes sense. I guess it just fell flat for me since I don't listen to Comedy Bang Bang.

Also Build-a-Title owns if just for Scared Cuntwagons.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Modern Leper posted:

Awful two ways, often. They not only don't know a lot of titles, but they don't realize that it's basically improv -- the thing's only fun if you facilitate a longer title. On the most recent "Rental Car" episode, there were multiple points where an obvious name could've kept things going, but the guest picked some strange dead end title to prove the length of his movie dick.
This is Doug's fault for not presenting it well.
He needs to make it a game and say the record is 9 movies with Graham Elwood or whatever.

Since it's on the same show with the Maltin game it seems like the goal should be to gently caress over the other guy.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!

Jack Bandit posted:

I finally heard this today. I haven't listened DLM in months but I couldn't pass up the gimmick of this episode. I found myself in my car crying from laughing so hard. What did we do to deserve so much wonderful free entertainment?

I made the mistake of listening to it on a forty minute public transport ride and I'm pretty sure everyone thought I was crazy by the end of it.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

LesterGroans posted:

The latest episode was all right. I'm a sucker for TJ Miller and how he gets under Doug's skin.

TJ Miller : DLM :: Brett Gelman : CBB.

TJ did a great little set on Conan a week or two ago. I'd never seen his standup before but it's legit, yo.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

TJ did an hour special on Comedy Central last week and it was probably the best one I've seen since Louie CK's last hour.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Doug seemed pleased with the latest show's shitheads and so was I.

Adam Carolla

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Nice! That "Doggone It" category, movies in which dogs die, was my idea I tweeted Doug. It's been mentioned on two episodes but does anyone know the first one it was mentioned in? I want to hear Doug say my name

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

NotWearingPants posted:

Doug seemed pleased with the latest show's shitheads and so was I.

Adam Carolla

Not to derail the thread, but what did Carolla say/do? Couldn't find anything on google or the megathread here.

I realize the guy's generally bigoted enough to deserve it, but I thought the comment was odd considering Doug's had him on DLM a few times.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

plastered quack posted:

Not to derail the thread, but what did Carolla say/do? Couldn't find anything on google or the megathread here.

I realize the guy's generally bigoted enough to deserve it, but I thought the comment was odd considering Doug's had him on DLM a few times.

They were talking on Carolla's podcast about Doug tweeting something about an Occupy protest and Adam saying something to the effect of "why does Benson give a poo poo? Isn't he just sitting around getting high?" Adam also railed on about how some of the people protesting don't have any idea what the hell they are protesting about, which could be true about any protest really.

They've been on each other's shows many times, they know each other's politics, I'm sure it's just needling on both sides.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

JGdmn posted:

They were talking on Carolla's podcast about Doug tweeting something about an Occupy protest and Adam saying something to the effect of "why does Benson give a poo poo? Isn't he just sitting around getting high?" Adam also railed on about how some of the people protesting don't have any idea what the hell they are protesting about, which could be true about any protest really.

They've been on each other's shows many times, they know each other's politics, I'm sure it's just needling on both sides.

The best thing is that I bet Carolla couldn't really tell you why people were protesting. He'd say something about how he made it through hard work and everyone else can do and those lazy fucks etc...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Adam has become the dude who legitimately thinks 'the maid was still in the kitchen when I wanted breakfast and it felt odd' is a working man's complaint. This as well as his normal homophobia, transphobia, racism, and disdain for the underclass all make it satisfying to call him a shithead any time.

He just happened to give a good reason this one.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Glitterbomber posted:

Adam has become the dude who legitimately thinks 'the maid was still in the kitchen when I wanted breakfast and it felt odd' is a working man's complaint. This as well as his normal homophobia, transphobia, racism, and disdain for the underclass all make it satisfying to call him a shithead any time.

He just happened to give a good reason this one.

I definitely agree with you, that's why I said he's bigoted enough to deserve it regardless.

JGdmn posted:

So it's basically a disagreement about OWS? Good, I thought it was something much worse (like the stuff Glitterbomber mentioned). Then Adam will probably come back around to DLM eventually, which I think is good.

He's still pretty funny when he's not going off on his rants.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

DrVenkman posted:

The best thing is that I bet Carolla couldn't really tell you why people were protesting. He'd say something about how he made it through hard work and everyone else can do and those lazy fucks etc...

His attitude regarding bootstraps is loving ridiculous but earned in a way, I suppose. I mean, he did kind of bootstrap himself up I guess, although he did get super lucky that Jimmy Kimmel needed a boxing instructor. It's always weird when he has someone like Bryan Cranston or Alec Baldwin or some other hugely mega-famous, mega-successful guy on and they mention all the lucky breaks they had to get in order to achieve their success and he's like "NOPE. YOU WORKED HARD AND THAT'S WHY YOU'RE HERE TODAY. COUNT IT"

All that said, when he's not talking about race, class, or gender, and even when he is sometimes (rarely), he's a brilliantly funny dude. I could take or leave his rants about "serious" subjects, but get him going on pop culture or social graces or something trivial and it's gold. He's really talented at finding the funny.

indigi fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 23, 2011

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
Say what you will about Build-A-Title, in the latest Graham Elwood Guests, I was howling with laughter when they insulted each other after thinking of movie titles.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Jimmy Pardos' need to say what we are all thinking had me making some funny faces on the bus today. A great episode. Scott is getting oddly more competitive at Maltin, I can't wait for the next round of Tournament of Championships.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Definitely a great ep, especially because of Scott's "bet" that I won't spoil.

One thing that dragged it down for me was hearing that guy laughing that gasping, Revenge of the Nerds-guy laugh. Is that the "annoying laugh" everyone was mentioning from earlier episodes? I've never heard it before, but then I didn't hear that laugh when people were pointing it out...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hot Saucerman is the best.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I loved that Revenge of the Nerds meets Eddie Murphy laugh.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I loved that Revenge of the Nerds meets Eddie Murphy laugh.

It was hilarious and I'm surprised none of them commented on it.

Loved the ep, which was expected with the solid lineup. Very hilariously dramatic ending too.

I knew as soon as he said that the person he was thinking of could have been an 'and' who he was thinking. I wanted to scream at my iPod "NO! Tim Matheson, you fool!"

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

LesterGroans posted:

It was hilarious and I'm surprised none of them commented on it.

Loved the ep, which was expected with the solid lineup. Very hilariously dramatic ending too.

I knew as soon as he said that the person he was thinking of could have been an 'and' who he was thinking. I wanted to scream at my iPod "NO! Tim Matheson, you fool!"

I called The Shining just based on the category and year. Could have gone -3 :c00lbutt:

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

plastered quack posted:

One thing that dragged it down for me was hearing that guy laughing that gasping, Revenge of the Nerds-guy laugh. Is that the "annoying laugh" everyone was mentioning from earlier episodes? I've never heard it before, but then I didn't hear that laugh when people were pointing it out...

I havent heard this episode so I'm not sure what the laugh in this episode is, but I totally know what the annoying laugh sounds like from dozens of other episodes.
Its a guy who laughs in a way that it sounds like a hiss. or a deflating tire or something. "tsshsshsshsshss"

Learn how to laugh dude!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's a honking.

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
I'm pretty sure the obnoxious laugh in this episode belonged to Jimmy Pardo. I noticed it after a while and started to notice it only happened when he wasn't talking and I swear I remember him sort of cut it short so that he could say something.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Jimmy doesn't have a "laugh", so much as a blurt response of "buHAH!" or "Idiot!"

...Which is awesome :colbert:

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Phone posted:

It's a honking.

No it's a hissing.

EDIT: So it sounds like theres a second lovely laugher, which is hilarious considering the last episode I heard he was complaining that the theater was half empty.

Evil Agita fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 29, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I don't know who the gently caress Charlie Hodge is, but he sure is annoying.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't know who the gently caress Charlie Hodge is, but he sure is annoying.

It sounded like a bunch of local guys. The highlight of the episode is the drunk rear end in a top hat in the audience.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Often times I wish that there were 4 people playing the game and they were terrible and they couldn't understand the rules. Ugh that was painful.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Has there been any reveal what what silently bleeped when Deb chose her category?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

That was less entertaining than the "Too High" episode. They were the absolute worst. Deb pulled out every hack attention whore trick in the book. I wish Doug had called her out more on it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Wow, I rather liked it. It was over 2 hours but it didn't really feel that long. Sure, they sucked at the game, but I thought it was generally entertaining, and better than the too-stoned-to-podcast episode. It was also the most entertaining Build a Title in a while.

Now that you mention it though, there really was no reason for her to point out that she had a bra on. There was a lot of that kind of thing in there...

Edit: Wait I just noticed I still had 45 minutes left in this? ... okay so much for saying it doesn't feel too long, I thought I was near the end. :gonk:

Edit: OK, you're right, it gets worse. Also, "Brendan Sextonill" lol.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 30, 2011

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I don't know how many people buy the premium DLM episodes, but if you think of this latest ep as a really bad, pay-for DLM that's free it's easier to accept it's quality.

Speaking as someone who tries to grab every premium ep for this thread, I can say it wouldn't be the worst premium DLM (at least compared to some of the drunk ones).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I bailed after 27 minutes. Doesn't sound like I missed much.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FitFortDanga posted:

I bailed after 27 minutes. Doesn't sound like I missed much.

My bauks. My bauks. Moiy bauks

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Fully reminded me why I don't listen to morning radio. What a bunch of morons.

Golbez posted:

It was also the most entertaining Build a Title in a while.

I'm not a huge fan of Build a Title, but it's kind of fun to play along with in my head while I listen. This one was just four idiots who couldn't even follow the rules or figure out the game.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

plastered quack posted:

I don't know how many people buy the premium DLM episodes, but if you think of this latest ep as a really bad, pay-for DLM that's free it's easier to accept it's quality.

Speaking as someone who tries to grab every premium ep for this thread, I can say it wouldn't be the worst premium DLM (at least compared to some of the drunk ones).

Am I the only person who enjoys the drunk ones? The end of the first Live in NYC is an amazing crescendo of insanity.

That said these last two have been pretty grating, but thats to be expected from local celebrities I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

graventy posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Build a Title, but it's kind of fun to play along with in my head while I listen. This one was just four idiots who couldn't even follow the rules or figure out the game.

That's just it. It was an entirely different game when when Doug and Graham play in a car. The stakes are zero, so it was fun to just have people bullshit around it for a few minutes.

Now, they didn't *know* they were bullshitting around it, they thought they were being genuine certified geniuses, but it was still entertaining.

Then again, I started with a relatively high opinion of the episode, compared to y'all, but the more I think on it the more I :gonk:

• Locked thread