Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Sorry for going a few pages back, but I had another question about knife sharpeners.

http://www.amazon.com/W%C3%BCsthof-2904-7-W%25fcsthof-2-Stage-Sharpener/dp/B0009NMVRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322576226&sr=8-1

The two-stage sharpener wasn't mentioned. Is there a reason why you guys wouldn't recommend this? I have one for Asian knives and one for German, and I think they work great. I work in a kitchen store, so I try to make sure what I sell is goon-approved. :)

They work as sharpeners, but not that well. The carbide part also has a tendency to make the knife edge wavy or puts a small dip in it from the front to the back of the blade after many uses. It takes off more metal than other sharpening methods, reducing the lifespan of the knife. The edge it makes is alright and usable, but isn't nearly as good as hand sharpening on a stone.

Basically, those are low effort, easy to use sharpeners to use on cheap knives, and not nice ones that you might want to keep and use for decades.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I wanted to make some delicious cheesy Arepas, but the recipe calls for 'arepa flour' or pre-cooked cornmeal. I looked in the store for such a thing (a large chain grocery store) and couldn't find anything that might be close. Is it a specialty thing? Can I make it myself? Or am I just being retarded and not looking for the right thing?

They also sound like they would cook well in a cast iron skillet. Is it better to just stick with a regular pan?

It's something of a specialty product, yeah. It's not as widespread in standard grocery stores as Maseca. You should try looking for Harina P.A.N., it's the most common brand.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Lately I've been finding my amount of time and money slowly decreasing so I've been browsing GWS for a little bit looking for help. I have a slow cooker that I love to use but have been looking for new recipes to try. There are a few that I've found on the wiki but is there a slow cooker thread that my forums-gazing missed?

VV Would you mind posting a more descriptive recipe? Any excuse to buy more alcohol :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 30, 2011

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Wow, I need to start hauling myself out of bed and starting stuff in the crock pot more often! I put a 2" top round roast with lots of marbling in this morning with some aromatics and Guinness and let it go all day on the Low setting, and it is absolutely stunning. I don't think I've ever had pot roast like this.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

C-Euro posted:

Lately I've been finding my amount of time and money slowly decreasing so I've been browsing GWS for a little bit looking for help. I have a slow cooker that I love to use but have been looking for new recipes to try. There are a few that I've found on the wiki but is there a slow cooker thread that my forums-gazing missed?

VV Would you mind posting a more descriptive recipe? Any excuse to buy more alcohol :v:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2775050

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

C-Euro posted:

My lazy go-to is as follows:

-Take your beef (roast, brisket, anything that's got a bit of fat really) and liberally salt and pepper it on all sides.
-Chop some onions, enough that you can cover most of the slow-cooker's bottom and have some left to put on top of the beef.
-Throw some oil in a pan and cook the onions until the start to caramelize a bit (this part might be optional, I do it anyways)
-Toss most of the onions in to the slow cooker, put your beef on top, add the rest of the onions on top of that.
(I like to toss in a bit lot of garlic and sometimes a splash of balsamic here)
-Throw in whatever spices strike your fancy
-Add enough beer to almost cover everything

Wait many hours, 4 or 5 on high works for me, longer on low probably. During this time, drink the rest of the beer you bought.

Eat.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Mine was two carrots and half a large onion, cut up and scattered on the bottom of the crock pot. A tall can of Guinness and four cups worth of beef bouillon powder, plus enough water to bring the liquid up to cover the beef.

Cooked for about 10.5 hours on low.

I braise in beer only when I'm doing corned beef, but I think it's a little heavy for just a regular pot roast.

(Sorry I didn't give more detail in the first post - I didn't even see your post before, just came in to yammer excitedly about my pot roast!)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

taqueso posted:

I have been trying various brands of olive oil and can't find anything decent. I live in the middle of nowhere, so no big surprise. After striking out a few times just randomly picking bottles, I wanted to find out what would be good before wasting my money. I found one of the top 2 picks from Cook's Illustrated supermarket olive oil reviews, Lucini Italia. It tastes kind of flat and almost rancid, just not very good.

Meanwhile, my neighbor has amazing OO he bought in Portland. Fruity and a little bit tangy and smoothly golden delicious. Great on bread. I want something like that. Where can I order some good OO from and how do I know what to pick?

If it's available in your area, the best is California olive ranch. Otherwise, try la espanola, which may be in you ethnic section.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
This might not be an easily answered question:

I've never been able to stand fish. I love sushi and such, where it's small raw bits with lots of rice and other ingredients, but just normal fish fillet meals like salmon or tilapia have always made my stomach turn.

As trashy as it sounds, though, I do like fried fish sandwiches, like you get at a fast food place. So about once a month, I get some frozen flounder fillets, sprinkle liberally with Old Bay, and bread with egg and panko. Fry, and make a sandwich with lettuce, tomato, onion and a quick remoulade that I make in a food processor: capers, anchovies, dijon, tarragon, lemon, and sriracha, stirred into mayo. At least I think that's a version of remoulade. Without the remoulade, it's too fishy tasting to me.

Anyway, my partner loves fish of all types, and I'd like to find some common ground, that I can stomach eating and he'll love. He's not picky and doesn't cook.

Based on what I like and don't like, any recipe suggestions or other general fish suggestions that I might like? I have no problem trying something and not liking it, because he'll still love it and I can fill up on sides.

I know the obvious answer is "bread a piece of fish and fry it", but I'd like something a bit more interesting than a bun-less fish sandwich. I'm a pretty competent cook, and have no problem trying extensive or complicated dishes, so long as they're something with no real experience cooking fish pull off.

I do love shellfish of all types.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Have you tried seared, but still raw, fish? The tunas take particularly well to this treatment (Albacore, Bluefin, Hamachi). Some people like to sesame crust theirs, I like mine seasoned with salt, seared on all sides very quickly on a very hot heat source. Then you can serve with a sesame soy vinaigrette and greens.

Have you tried different fillet-type dishes with fish other than tilapia and salmon? Monkfish, escolar, halibut, lingcod are all very tasty, beginner friendly fishes. Also be sure not to overcook the fish. Most fish can and should be served medium to medium well. Try stronger flavors, too. One of the most memorable fish dishes I've had was a grilled monkfish in a Thai red curry type sauce. Another, seared escolar with a truffled potato puree and chicken jus. A really tasty but still very easy preparation is to butter fry a fish, say halibut, with capers, garlic, and a spritz of lemon.

I do think it's kind of funny that you complain about fishy tasting fish, but your remoulade has anchovies in it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Happy Abobo posted:

It's something of a specialty product, yeah. It's not as widespread in standard grocery stores as Maseca. You should try looking for Harina P.A.N., it's the most common brand.

What's the difference between the yellow and orange P.A.N. masa flours?

e: I mean the colour of the bags, not the masa itself. Is it simply that the orange bag stuff is non-nixtamalized? Can the nixtamalized masa also be used for arepas? It sure makes for nice corn tortillas, if nothing else.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Sjurygg posted:

What's the difference between the yellow and orange P.A.N. masa flours?

e: I mean the colour of the bags, not the masa itself. Is it simply that the orange bag stuff is non-nixtamalized? Can the nixtamalized masa also be used for arepas? It sure makes for nice corn tortillas, if nothing else.

If I recall correctly, the only difference is the colour: the yellow bag is white cornmeal, and the orange is yellow. I'm not sure about the nixtamalization though, that may be a part of it.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I'm making a slower cooker chicken tortilla soup for tonight, and the original recipe says to cook the chicken first, shred it, then put it in the slow cooker. In the comments sections, some poster's recommended putting the chicken in raw, and shredding near the end of the cooking process.

Is that advisable? I know chicken is kind of iffy, health-wise if not cooked properly. I have never put raw chicken in a crock pot before, so I figured I should ask others before doing something potentially stupid.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Lt. Chips posted:

I'm making a slower cooker chicken tortilla soup for tonight, and the original recipe says to cook the chicken first, shred it, then put it in the slow cooker. In the comments sections, some poster's recommended putting the chicken in raw, and shredding near the end of the cooking process.

Is that advisable? I know chicken is kind of iffy, health-wise if not cooked properly. I have never put raw chicken in a crock pot before, so I figured I should ask others before doing something potentially stupid.

How long does the recipe call for it to cook? It'll be fine if it's 6-8 hours as the temperature, while not VERY high, will be high enough for long enough to kill any nasties even if the chicken is raw. I wouldn't cook it and then put it in the slow cooker, that's a recipe for shredded sawdust.

Does anyone have a quick and easy recipe for fried rice? I have a couple cups of white rice leftover in the fridge and I'd like to try my hand at it. I don't have a wok so either a large nonstick or cast iron will have to do. I'm leaning toward cast iron...thoughts?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I usually just cook some onion in a little oil, add garlic, add a little bit of oyster sauce (not much like 1/4 cup for 4 cups of rice) and soy sauce (not much at all a splash or two) and then add white rice and cook it for awhile in a skillet to make left over stuff fried rice.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

The Midniter posted:

How long does the recipe call for it to cook? It'll be fine if it's 6-8 hours as the temperature, while not VERY high, will be high enough for long enough to kill any nasties even if the chicken is raw. I wouldn't cook it and then put it in the slow cooker, that's a recipe for shredded sawdust.

Yep, 6-8 hours. Thanks for advice.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If it's available in your area, the best is California olive ranch. Otherwise, try la espanola, which may be in you ethnic section.

Now I'm torn. Cali Olive Ranch is available here, but only at Walmart.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

+1 for CA Olive Ranch. Their Arbequina extra virgin is the best dipping oil.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Happy Abobo posted:

If I recall correctly, the only difference is the colour: the yellow bag is white cornmeal, and the orange is yellow. I'm not sure about the nixtamalization though, that may be a part of it.

I've never used the stuff, but by looking at the package, I would have guessed that the orange bag was plain sweet corn, not nixtamalized field corn.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I do think it's kind of funny that you complain about fishy tasting fish, but your remoulade has anchovies in it.

I'm guessing that texture is his real issue. If so, your suggestion for searing is the way to go.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

taqueso posted:

Now I'm torn. Cali Olive Ranch is available here, but only at Walmart.

Someone else will have it. Don't shop at walmart.

Twerp
Feb 25, 2011

RazorBunny posted:

In some recipes the buttermilk is providing acidity that's necessary for the dough to rise. Usually those recipes will have baking soda as the leavening agent. You can use milk in these recipes but you'll need to add in something acidic or end up with flat biscuits.

Good to know, thanks for that; culinary science is lost on me. Guess I should get a trial run together before the holidays.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Someone else will have it. Don't shop at walmart.

I checked CA Olive Ranch's store locator. I am in South Dakota, so I am used to not being able to get things here. It is not sold at Safeway or Family Thrift Center, the two supermarket chains here.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there a good way to tell when meat has gone bad? I smell the meat sometimes and it smells a bit funky but I'm not exactly sure what meat is supposed to smell like. There are sometimes brown spots that smell weird where two pieces of meat have been touching each other too. I don't have a freezer right now so I've just been storing everything in the refridgerator.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Captain Payne posted:

Is there a good way to tell when meat has gone bad? I smell the meat sometimes and it smells a bit funky but I'm not exactly sure what meat is supposed to smell like. There are sometimes brown spots that smell weird where two pieces of meat have been touching each other too. I don't have a freezer right now so I've just been storing everything in the refridgerator.
Smell is a good way to tell when meat has gone bad. If it smells off, toss it.

If your sense of smell is wonky in some way that you don't trust it, you can also usually tell by touch---meat that's going off will start feeling kinda slimy---but this isn't as reliable as smell.

If you're really worried about it, remember to label things when you put them in the fridge.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Happy Abobo posted:

I was kinda worried about that. Thanks for posting a picture, because now I will know what to look for. There has to be a specialty store somewhere in the area.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Twerp posted:

Good to know, thanks for that; culinary science is lost on me. Guess I should get a trial run together before the holidays.

I only know that kind of thing through rote memorization, I'm really bad at baking and the finer chemistry of it. Baking and sauces, those are my downfall. Baking just isn't intuitive to me the way other forms of cooking are :( I am getting better at sauces, though.

I once tried to make a sweet Guinness reduction sauce to put on some beef, and let it over-reduce. Guinness caramel resulted. It was delicious (if break-your-jaw sticky), but it wasn't what I was trying to make by a long stretch.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What should I do with about 4 Bartlett pears that are overripe?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'd just eat them since I don't think pears can be overripe, but you could also chuck them in some booze and infuse it. There's a whole thread about that, and it's loads of fun.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
How long can sous vide duck sit in the refrigerator before it's too late to freeze? I made two pieces late Monday night, chilled it in an ice bath and put it in the fridge. I finished off one piece today, and there's no way I can eat it again tomorrow -- so rich!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you left it sealed in the bag it can probably go a month.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you left it sealed in the bag it can probably go a month.

Awesome, thanks :) Into the freezer it shall go!

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

make a pear almond tart.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

geetee posted:

Awesome, thanks :) Into the freezer it shall go!

Of course, my advice is assuming that you didn't just cook it to temp, but held it there long enough to pasteurize it in the bag. Which you should have done.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Help me buy food, please. Is there a rule of thumb for people to potatoes for mashed potatoes? How about people to amount of meat for something like a rib roast? I can wing portioning for everything else, but I'm cooking for 9 this weekend and I'd rather not end up with way too many potatoes or way too little roast.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

you ate my cat posted:

I'm making a holiday dinner for ~8 people next weekend, and just found out that someone is coming who is severely lactose intolerant. I was planning to do pumpkin pie, but now that's out the window due to the milk content. I've looked at a few recipes, but I'm hesitant. Is there a way to do non-dairy pumpkin pie that's at all like the 'real thing'?

No one else seemed to answer, so I did a little looking online. I haven't tried it myself but this recipe seems to have good reviews below it.

http://mykidsallergies.blogspot.com/2007/10/pumpkin-pie-recipe-dairy-free-nut-free.html

I also saw recipes that used coconut milk and soy milk - now I'm intrigued with the idea of a coconut milk pumpkin pie. If you end up trying one of those, do let us know how it comes out.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have made seared raw tuna and really liked it, and I guess I had forgotten all about it. I'll try some of your other suggestions, too, thank you.

As far as the anchovies go, I'm still pretty horrified about them. But a year ago I finally realized what a wonderful, rich addition they add to lots of different sauces, without adding an outright fish taste to them, just a richness.

So, like a giant puss, I hold my breath (the smell is awful, in my opinion), and dump the can right into the food processor or pot I'm cooking sauce in, and try to look at it from the corner of my eye so as not to actually look at them. I know, I'm ridiculously grossed out by fish.

freudianquips
Nov 7, 2008
My uncle made pickled apples from the tree in his backyard and gave me a jar. He added a cinnamon stick and they taste like...pickled apple pie. A strong and almost overwhelming vinegar aroma while the apples have the perfect texture and go great with the cinnamon.

I can't tell if I really like them or not, I'm confused.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to use them? I don't know, a pie or something?

Also I have similarly prepared pickled peaches from his backyard as well

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Eat them with cheese and bread.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Eat them with head cheese and bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

you ate my cat posted:

Help me buy food, please. Is there a rule of thumb for people to potatoes for mashed potatoes? How about people to amount of meat for something like a rib roast? I can wing portioning for everything else, but I'm cooking for 9 this weekend and I'd rather not end up with way too many potatoes or way too little roast.

It kinda depends on your potatoes but I would say maybe 5 potatoes for every 4 people? I'd definitely say to err on the side of too many potatoes, most people love them, and leftovers reheat well as mashed potatoes or can be fried into pancakes. So I'd mash 10-12 potatoes for 9 people, depending on the size of the people and the potatoes.

Expect your roast to lose 10-15% of its weight while cooking, people will probably eat 4-6oz of meat if you're doing a lot of sides, especially if there is another meat as well. a good rule of thumb is probably 1 rib of roast for each 2-3 people. So maybe a 4-5 rib roast?