Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

That interceptor also looks like a simple, straightforward build with no unusual pieces though, so it should be easily duplicated.

In fact, maybe I'll try right now...

Well I take that back, the cockpit appears to be printed, but other than that its good.

Here's a larger picture of the real thing for anyone that wants to duplicate it. Not quite sure about the top flat panel, it seems like it'd be a 2x2 flat with the single stud on top. Probably exists somewhere, but I don't have one.

I also only have enough of the hinge parts for two wings :eng99:

mynnna fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

luloo123 posted:

So I casually mentioned to the director of my independent study that I am quite fond of Lego. He gave me this:

And this:

Unfortunately, some of them are a little chewed up. :ohdear: Poor Harry Potter...

It was really kind of him to give me a paper box filled to the brim with Lego, so I'm totally not complaining that I had to toss some out.

There were a good number of Mega Blocks and other non-Lego blocks, but probably 90% of the box was genuine Lego. I have no clue what some of these pieces are for, though. The sorting is done (Thanksgiving project) soon I will be building. :dance:

I think I see at least a few Construx in there. (side note: tripod. heh.) Congrats though, that's an assload of LEGO.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Torael_7 posted:

That interceptor also looks like a simple, straightforward build with no unusual pieces though, so it should be easily duplicated.

In fact, maybe I'll try right now...

Well I take that back, the cockpit appears to be printed, but other than that its good.

Here's a larger picture of the real thing for anyone that wants to duplicate it. Not quite sure about the top flat panel, it seems like it'd be a 2x2 flat with the single stud on top. Probably exists somewhere, but I don't have one.

I also only have enough of the hinge parts for two wings :eng99:

The 2x2 were included in alot of the games.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Ika posted:

The 2x2 were included in alot of the games.

And most of the Prince of Persia sets had fucktons of them.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
My local TRU has most of the 2012 sets in stock, I picked up a Super Soarer to tide me over until I get paid on the first!

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Xenophon posted:

My local TRU has most of the 2012 sets in stock, I picked up a Super Soarer to tide me over until I get paid on the first!

Which sets? I looked on the website the other day and they didn't have any of the Dino sets available yet.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

youareoffthehook posted:

Which sets? I looked on the website the other day and they didn't have any of the Dino sets available yet.

There were a lot, so I don't remember exactly which sets. There were at least 4-5 from the Dino sets, Ambush Attack and Tower Takedown for sure, plus a lot from City (~1/2 of the 2012 sets listed on brickipedia including one with a bear), Creator (all of the 2012 sets except the TBA ones, so far as I could tell), and Ninjago. I didn't see anything new from Star Wars or Technic, and I didn't see any of the new Superheroes or Friends lines. Racers and Hero Factory might have had some new things, but I didn't check, because Racers and Hero Factory.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Xenophon posted:

There were a lot, so I don't remember exactly which sets. There were at least 4-5 from the Dino sets, Ambush Attack and Tower Takedown for sure, plus a lot from City (~1/2 of the 2012 sets listed on brickipedia including one with a bear), Creator (all of the 2012 sets except the TBA ones, so far as I could tell), and Ninjago. I didn't see anything new from Star Wars or Technic, and I didn't see any of the new Superheroes or Friends lines. Racers and Hero Factory might have had some new things, but I didn't check, because Racers and Hero Factory.

I don't know about Hero Factory, but I have seen the new Racers at TRU and the Lego Store.

Rent to Own Lifestyle
Jan 27, 2004
Well fuck, I need something witty.
Went back to the local Wal-Mart (Las Vegas) and they still had the 1600 piece boxes in stock and they all had $30 stickers on them but no price on the shelves so I grabbed two. The employee I asked said that they were staying at the $30 until they sold out and they weren't getting anymore in stock.

edit: 2 days later (28th) I went back and bought 3 more boxes for $30 a piece. Love this deal but wish it had more black pieces :(

Rent to Own Lifestyle fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 28, 2011

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
Does anyone have both the Fire Brigade and the Pet Shop modular building set? I'm trying to decide which one to buy to put next to the Grand Emporium and my budget is much too low for both the sets. I know the Fire Brigade is going to be dropped soon so I'm tempted to buy it but I just don't know if its worth it. It doesn't seem all too great from just the pictures. Pet Shop on the other hand seems interesting but a little bit cramped and small. Too bad the cheapest Green Grocer is like 400 dollars since it looks like an amazing set and I would have bought it right away if I had the chance. (Or should I just buy a random assortment of Lego equaling around 150 dollars?)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I vote Fire Brigade, it's classy as gently caress. Pet Shop was pretty underwhelming compared to it's predecessors.

Although, if you find yourself doing a lot of MOCs 150 dollars worth of random parts would be a better purchase.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
It depends on what's most important to you, I guess. I have all the modular buildings and I think the Fire Brigade was my least favorite to build because of how repetitive it was. The Pet Shop is two separate buildings, so I didn't find myself getting bored of it, whereas most of the Fire Brigade's steps were "add another layer of bricks exactly like the last one." As far as looks, I think they both have their merits. If you expect to be able to afford another one soon you should get the Fire Brigade because you're right in saying it'll be gone real soon.

Also yeah, Green Grocer was the best, hands-down. It's a shame it's gotten so expensive.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I've just had a similar sort of wrangle. I wanted Pet Shop but I realised that another set which was hovering on my 'do I get, don't I get' list was on the brink of selling out. I reckoned that Pet Shop will be safe for a while, so it made more sense to drop the cash on the other set.

Fire Brigade looks marvellous next to Grand Emporium. I'm definitely going to buy Pet Shop, but it felt rather small when I saw it in the shop - Fire Brigade has got some bulk to it (it's quite wide) so it has a real presence on display, and the interior details (such as the fridge) are pretty awesome too. The SNOT date was probably one of my favourite build moments over all of my recent purchases.

Although there would be an intense irony if Pet Shop got dropped before the other modulars because they're still selling well (due to panic buying / re-sellers) and everyone was ignoring Pet Shop because it's "safe"!

Overall, I'd vote for Fire Brigade. If it's not quite what you want once you've built it, there's no reason why you couldn't change it into another building - the colours are very traditional (grey/red) and Pet Shop should hopefully stick around for another 18 months, giving you time to save for it if you wanted to add that to the street. If you go the other way around and Fire Brigade sells out, you might regret (a la Green Grocer!) not being able to afford it in your lineup.

I did think that the bottom might fall out of the re-seller market (so you could pick up FB for much cheaper), but Lego seems to be on an up company wise at the moment and I think that the crash might be a while off yet...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Those planets might make good terrain for Battlefleet Gothic or somesuch. Homebrew lego BFG ships... hmmm.

edit:
LOL

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
LEGO and 40k never ceases to amaze

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
What the hell is up with LEGO pricing in different countries?

MMV on amazon.com 89.95$ + free shipping
MMV on amazon.ca 154.95$ (no free shipping)
MMV on lego.com-US 99.95$
MMV on lego.com-CA 134.95$

That's a pretty loving ridiculous difference right there.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

CADPAT posted:

What the hell is up with LEGO pricing in different countries?

MMV on amazon.com 89.95$ + free shipping
MMV on amazon.ca 154.95$ (no free shipping)
MMV on lego.com-US 99.95$
MMV on lego.com-CA 134.95$

That's a pretty loving ridiculous difference right there.

Is Amazon the seller for all of those? I remember looking up some small set that was a couple years old, and it was more than triple the price from a third party.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Good catch, the seller in Canada was not Amazon.

Still, even the LEGO.com price difference is 35$ difference. That's pretty unnecessary.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Got the Maersk train and Creationary from my fiancée for our anniversary this week. The train is awesome (hundreds of bloody stickers though :argh: ), and Creationary is surprisingly fun - I assumed it would be pretty easy but some of the things you have to build are fairly challenging to build small-scale. We introduced a 90 second time limit which definitely made things more interesting too.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My Target finally had in stock some of those Lego promo gift cards, they had three laying around and that just happened to be the magic number I wanted. Three dollars later and I am on the way home with my happy little x-mas Lego toys to put together, think I am going to use the target dog as a mount for my Evil Dwarf Mini Figure.

The snowman looks like a Cylon Snowman, that is pretty drat cool.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 29, 2011

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Xenophon posted:

There were Dino sets at my local Lego store. I picked up the small $12 with the velociraptor.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

CADPAT posted:

Still, even the LEGO.com price difference is 35$ difference. That's pretty unnecessary.

It gets pretty bad sometimes. It comes from the same warehouse as the american site. If they would just let us buy from the american site it wouldn't suck as much. You have to wait for 25% off deals like this weekends 'black friday' sale just to get it at the same regular price thats a hour drive away for most canadians.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
Under the advice of fellow goons I ended up purchasing Fire Brigade and received it today. Unfortunately it seems that I'm missing an entire bag of around 100 pieces and its fairly common with the batch 39R1. So thought I should just give a heads up to anyone purchasing the set. Make sure to check the sticker and check that the one you are purchasing IS NOT 39R1. I already ordered replacement parts for it and according to what the internet has told me I should receive it in around 10 business days. Too bad I'll be going out of country until January in about a week so my Fire Brigade will sit in the corner incomplete as a messy pile until I get back.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Crazy Pigeon posted:

Under the advice of fellow goons I ended up purchasing Fire Brigade and received it today. Unfortunately it seems that I'm missing an entire bag of around 100 pieces and its fairly common with the batch 39R1. So thought I should just give a heads up to anyone purchasing the set. Make sure to check the sticker and check that the one you are purchasing IS NOT 39R1. I already ordered replacement parts for it and according to what the internet has told me I should receive it in around 10 business days. Too bad I'll be going out of country until January in about a week so my Fire Brigade will sit in the corner incomplete as a messy pile until I get back.

That's what happened to a bunch if the ones we had in the store, but we got some in last week and we were told none of the ones inline or in the store would be missing the pack. I'm sorry you got one of the bad batch!

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

youareoffthehook posted:

That's what happened to a bunch if the ones we had in the store, but we got some in last week and we were told none of the ones inline or in the store would be missing the pack. I'm sorry you got one of the bad batch!

Just got a call from LEGO and they told me that I won't be receiving a replacement pack simply because I ordered from Amazon and not directly from them. And Amazon is telling me that I would have to talk to LEGO directly to get an exchange since it's a manufacturing error or something and not theirs. So now I'm sitting here with an incomplete set that I paid full price for and can't even return.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

WTF? I havn't even had to prove I bought the sets when I reported missing parts.

Souichiro
Aug 31, 2003

You should focus on doing the things only you can do.
That would explain why I got a random bag of Technic bits and bobs in with my Fire Brigade. Still waiting on one last bit of pieces after I miscounted what I was missing.

Crazy Pigeon posted:

Just got a call from LEGO and they told me that I won't be receiving a replacement pack simply because I ordered from Amazon and not directly from them. And Amazon is telling me that I would have to talk to LEGO directly to get an exchange since it's a manufacturing error or something and not theirs. So now I'm sitting here with an incomplete set that I paid full price for and can't even return.

That's BS. Might want to call back and see if you can get someone else to hear you out.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Souichiro posted:

That's BS. Might want to call back and see if you can get someone else to hear you out.

Seconding this. Generally the law is that, if the manufacturer fucks up, it's the manufacturer's problem.

Also, in Australia we'd all be hosed, since there are no Lego stores and buying it through Lego's online store is stupid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MaliciousOnion posted:

Seconding this. Generally the law is that, if the manufacturer fucks up, it's the manufacturer's problem.

Also, in Australia we'd all be hosed, since there are no Lego stores and buying it through Lego's online store is stupid.
Heh, you think the US has silly consumer protection laws? That's not free market bootstraps!!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Souichiro posted:

Seconding this. I have never heard of LEGO screwing up customer service. Especially if they know the lot number has errors I don't see why they would say no dice...

Tkytko
Jul 15, 2007

"Hisui-chan~, it seems a few things broke."

"... Nee-san, please refrain from cleaning again."

Here's a Vic Viper I made for Nnovvember.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

That is pretty slick.

I need to get my poo poo sorted so I can build more effectively, but I've still got a 2x2x3 tub full and another one half full. :sigh:

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Tkytko posted:

Here's a Vic Viper I made for Nnovvember.

I love those scales down the spine of it.

I managed to squeeze in a second one this year just before the bell.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
How do you guys go about making these MOCS? Do you just grab parts and go with the flow or do you get a pencil and paper, draw out an idea, or design it in a 3D program and order the parts?

The only thing stopping me from doing a MOC is that I'd never have the pieces I wanted. So I'd have to just use the LDD program and then order parts. Sorta feels like cheating.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I work with whatever parts I have around. Usually that means trying to make something small and silly with whatever set I just finished building.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
It was almost painful popping open the first box of the Star Wars advent calendar my girlfriend gave me.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Ingram posted:

How do you guys go about making these MOCS? Do you just grab parts and go with the flow or do you get a pencil and paper, draw out an idea, or design it in a 3D program and order the parts?

The only thing stopping me from doing a MOC is that I'd never have the pieces I wanted. So I'd have to just use the LDD program and then order parts. Sorta feels like cheating.

Well, I spent a whole lot of time collecting parts until I usually have enough on hand to make what I want to make. I can't draw and don't really have any Ldraw skill, so I just pour out a bunch of parts and start putting them together. I usually have a general idea where I'm going with it, but that's about it.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I need to start MOCing again, but I don't want to start until my pieces are sorted. Hopefully I'll be able to power through it during winter break.

I've been buying the new green Ninjago sets, which have snake-men enemies. Instead of taming dragons, the Ninja are back in badass vehicles. I've built two so far--Jay's Storm Fighter and the Rattlecopter. I dumped the black car and red motorcycle into my Sort bin without building them at first, but after building these two I'm going to have to dig them out.

They're both neat sets; they've got great designs and lines. The Fighter is a delta-wing with a play feature that snaps the wings into forward-swept wings, uncovering four giant pearl gold buster swords. They're actually so large that they'd even be out of proportion to a minifig Cloud. Only real problem is I'm getting too much friction in some bits for the rubber band to overcome fully.

The Rattlecopter's got three steel gray buster swords for heli blades and a trans-purple canopy, which we've never had before. It has four flick-fire missiles and fuckin' cobra bombs. It uses Castle helmets as fairings for the engine intakes, which is pretty NPU. Oh, and the Ninja has a a drat jetpack. Oddly, there were 3 bags in it, printed 1, 2, and 4. I thought I was missing bag 3 until I realized the manual didn't go up to 4 bags.

They've both got new parts--1x1 round tiles (pearl gold, medium gray, trans green, trans red, and printed), 1x4 double curve slopes (blue), buster swords (pearl gold, steel gray, 3x minifig height, but with technic axle handle), minifig tonfa blades (pearl gold), big minifig swords (pearl gold, 2x minifig height), and a decorative 4-snake round piece in lime green. Plus snake animal molds (cobra, in white), cobra hood 'hair', minifig cobra head, minifig cobra staff, new ninja hood molds, and the re-appearance of snowshoes (absent since '04).

I'll be buying the rest of the sets in this line. It seems like a designer had some ideas for some cool vehicles but couldn't fit them into other lines. So they Ninja/Skeleton/Snake'd 'em and Ninjago was created.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 1, 2011

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lol, I just looked at the new Ninjago and they are hilarious. A jet with loving samurai swords? Cobra bombs? They went from :ninja: to :black101:

Wow, I just realized the dragons were on the good side. I've been playing Skyrim too long...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That first set is so hilariously lopsided.

"I've got a sword, and a snake!"
"I've got a fighter jet with swords for wings!"