Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
subg - my edges only seem to last like a couple weeks touching up with a honing steel, after that even the steel doesn't render them very sharp. this is in contrast to when I have them professionally sharpened, and the edge seems to last 2-4 months before it's irreparable. any ideas? using a norton stone in basically the same setup you have except mine is much less pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004
what do you guys think about the edgemaker pro? http://edgemaker.com/

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

subg - my edges only seem to last like a couple weeks touching up with a honing steel, after that even the steel doesn't render them very sharp. this is in contrast to when I have them professionally sharpened, and the edge seems to last 2-4 months before it's irreparable. any ideas? using a norton stone in basically the same setup you have except mine is much less pretty.
I couldn't say for sure without knowing more, but my guess is that you're just sharpening at a different angle than you're getting from your third party sharpener.

The most common case here would be that you're using a wider angle for sharpening. The wider the angle, the duller the knife will get as soon as the very tip wears at all. This is mostly likely the problem if the knives are made of one of your typical kitchen cutlery stainless steels.

If you've got knives made of one of the high strength but brittle super steels, you could conceivably have problems if you're sharpening to too acute an angle, as you might be producing an edge weak enough that it's breaking off under mild stress (from chopping against a cutting board and so on).

Another possible problem if you're using one of those super steels is that they may contain carbides that are harder than your sharpening media. Since the carbides are harder than the stone, the stone will only wear away the metal around the carbide grains in the steel, either exposing the grains and making the edge jagged, or digging the grains out and leaving the edge pitted. All of this obviously at a microscopic scale. This would only be a problem if you're using one of the modern super steels, and is more likely to happen if you're using an aluminium oxide stone (like the Sharpmaker rods), which is comparatively soft.

Alternately, it's possible that you're just not finishing the edge as well as your sharpening service does. That would just depend on what the final grit you're using is. If you're not already doing so, you could easily try stropping the edge after using finest stone you have. You don't need a `real' strop, the inside of a leather belt will work fine, and a flat piece of cardboard (like the back of a legal pad) will even do. If that helps with the problem you're having, you might think of just picking up a finer stone and adding it to your sharpening routine.

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

SubG posted:

The main problem with the Sharpmaker is that it can only sharpen to precisely two angles, and the rods it come with aren't really abrasive enough if your knife isn't already sharpened to one of those two angles and you need to reprofile it.

If you have trouble keeping a consistent angle freehand, get a piece of scrap wood or plastic or some drat thing that's big enough to hold your stone. Measure the length. Figure out how high you need to raise one end of it to give you the angle you want---20 degrees or whatever. Put stuff under one end until it is that high. Put your stone on the inclined surface.

You've just made something that works the same way a Sharpmaker does, only you need to keep the blade horizontal when you're sharpening instead of having to keep it vertical.

Here's a `fancy' version of the above I made with some scrap wood, including a riser that's pre-drilled to a few common sharpening angles. That's an 8" Norton stone sitting on it.
That's true, and making your own angle guide is definitely one way to go. You could also buy one of the benchstone angle guides, such as the Edge Pro. But, for its money the Sharpmaker is a really good value. It has slots in the bottom if you want to go fully freehand with the stones, and the price is comparable to one or two good stones.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Local store has the Kitchenaid 7 cup food processor on for around $60. Is this a good deal, or will I be better off going for the larger size (12 cup one) and spending more?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Local store has the Kitchenaid 7 cup food processor on for around $60. Is this a good deal, or will I be better off going for the larger size (12 cup one) and spending more?

I bought a 7 cup cuisinart a few years back, and I still wish I'd held out for the 14 cup. It cost more, but there are many many times when I wish I just had more capacity.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

SubG posted:

You don't need a `real' strop, the inside of a leather belt will work fine, and a flat piece of cardboard (like the back of a legal pad) will even do. If that helps with the problem you're having, you might think of just picking up a finer stone and adding it to your sharpening routine.

I've found old jeans work well.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

dino. posted:

I bought a 7 cup cuisinart a few years back, and I still wish I'd held out for the 14 cup. It cost more, but there are many many times when I wish I just had more capacity.

People have said exactly this every time someone brings up food processors. At this point I have an almost superstitious dread of food processors that are not quite big enough.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I'm still saving up for the top-of-the-line Kenwood Titanum Major. 6.7 litre capacity (28 cup capacity) and 1500W motor. I've had my share of kitchen machines in my time, this time around I want the good stuff.

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/uk/Products/Kitchen-Machines/Chef-and-Major/KM020/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Since this is Food Processor chat, I figured I should do a little promotion for the one I picked. I got a Braun Kitchen Machine K650 (Multiquick 3) a couple weeks ago and it is awesome. I only have experience with my Mom's processor, so I guess I can't compare it to any of the other "nice" food processors. It has exceeded my expectations, though. I love the sealing on the drive shaft and variable speed.

The only downside is that Braun is/has stopped selling these in the US, so it is a grey market item. Well, another downside is that they make 2 even awesomer machines that are 220V only, so no go in the US.

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-Multiquick-K650-Kitchen-Machine/dp/B000NO12QE/
http://www.braun.com/global/household/food-preparation/multiquick-kitchen-machines.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone have a good meat probe thermometer they'd like to recommend? CI doesn't seem to have reviewed many, and they don't seem too happy with the ones they did review...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Acetone posted:

That's true, and making your own angle guide is definitely one way to go. You could also buy one of the benchstone angle guides, such as the Edge Pro. But, for its money the Sharpmaker is a really good value. It has slots in the bottom if you want to go fully freehand with the stones, and the price is comparable to one or two good stones.
Eh. The 8" Norton duplex stone in that photo I posted does the work of two stones and sells for around US$20 anywhere. The Sharpmaker runs around US$50, and while it has two sets of rods, they're both skewed toward the fine end of the spectrum. They're also aluminium oxide, so they'll be less effective with any of the harder steels.

I'm not trying to say the Sharpmaker is a bad bit of gear. My point is that it really isn't a general-purpose sharpening setup. It's really good if a) you don't have a lot of experience with sharpening and are worried about it, b) your knives are already bevelled to 20 or 30 degrees (so you don't have to reprofile them to work with the Sharpmaker), and c) you don't have any knives with really high hardness steels.

You can also use the Sharpmaker rods to sharpen serrated knives, which is really nice and is something you can't do on a bench stone.

But as a general-purpose sharpening setup it's really limited, even compared to what you could pick up for the same amount of cash.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Has anyone seen any deals on Weber Smokey Mountains lately? Amazon still has it at $330.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

icehewk posted:

Has anyone seen any deals on Weber Smokey Mountains lately? Amazon still has it at $330.

It says $251.85 when I look at it

edit: or are you talking about the 22.5 inch one

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
22.5 inch. Go big or go home, yeah?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone have a good meat probe thermometer they'd like to recommend? CI doesn't seem to have reviewed many, and they don't seem too happy with the ones they did review...

Don't people usually just recommend a Thermapen for this?

I wish I could afford a thermapen :sigh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'd like some way of monitoring temp without opening the oven door and letting the heat out, which the thermapen requires

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I'd like some way of monitoring temp without opening the oven door and letting the heat out, which the thermapen requires

This is what I use. It's no frills but does exactly what I need.

Some of them beep before it gets to the temperature (to allow for carryover I guess) but carryover depends on the size of what you're cooking, so I'd rather just set it to the temp I want to be alerted at. Others have settings for what they think different meats should be cooked to, but that's bullshit too. This one just beeps when it gets to the temp you want.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Some of them beep before it gets to the temperature (to allow for carryover I guess) but carryover depends on the size of what you're cooking, so I'd rather just set it to the temp I want to be alerted at. Others have settings for what they think different meats should be cooked to, but that's bullshit too. This one just beeps when it gets to the temp you want.

What's the probe size like? One of the things I love about my thermopen is that it doesn't create a massive hole in the stuff I'm temping.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have some random one about the same as that I bought years ago. It does the pre-beep, but it isn't for carryover. It is just an early warning so you know the real temp is coming up soon and should pay attention instead of drinking beer in the other room. Otherwise mine just beeps (and keeps beeping) once it gets to temp.

e: ^^ probe on mine is about 1/8" diam, kind of big. If you leave the probe in in from cold through resting, it doesn't spew juices out the hole.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Safety Engineer posted:

What's the probe size like? One of the things I love about my thermopen is that it doesn't create a massive hole in the stuff I'm temping.

Its not as small as the tip on the thermapen, but not as thick as some I've seen.

But yeah just leave it in while it rests;

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Decided to go for the 12 cup, partly due to advice of the thread and partly I saw a Kitchenaid 12 cup on clearance. $160 Canadian after taxes for a new Kitchenaid? Yes sir I'll get that!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So I got a $150 Williams Sonoma gift card last week. Never shop there really for fairly obvious reasons, but gift card kind of locks me in. Only two things I really need for my kitchen are a rice cooker and a good meat probe, but they really only have high end models for the former and didn't bother looking at the latter. Should I burn this card getting a good rice cooker instead of whatever that $50ish one is that gets posted in this thread from time to time or just sell the gift card and take my cash over to Amazon? ... Or do I get a nice 6" Santoku to replace the crappy stamped one I have now and chalk it up to giftcard != me spending money?

What WS has on their website (not getting the $200 thing):
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-electric-rice-cooker/?pkey=e|rice|8|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Feature_Recipe_Rule|30%20off%20holiday-%20copy%20-%20copy-_-

They have a few different meat thermometers, though I would like to get one that can survive 450F. My mother borrowed/melted my only one at Thanksgiving.

Halp!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

zerox147o posted:

So I got a $150 Williams Sonoma gift card last week. Never shop there really for fairly obvious reasons, but gift card kind of locks me in. Only two things I really need for my kitchen are a rice cooker and a good meat probe, but they really only have high end models for the former and didn't bother looking at the latter. Should I burn this card getting a good rice cooker instead of whatever that $50ish one is that gets posted in this thread from time to time or just sell the gift card and take my cash over to Amazon? ... Or do I get a nice 6" Santoku to replace the crappy stamped one I have now and chalk it up to giftcard != me spending money?

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-electric-rice-cooker/?pkey=e|rice|8|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Feature_Recipe_Rule|30%20off%20holiday-%20copy%20-%20copy-_-

They have a few different meat thermometers, though I would like to get one that can survive 450F. My mother borrowed/melted my only one at Thanksgiving.

Halp!

Sell it and go to Amazon. They've got much better selection, and better prices.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

dino. posted:

Sell it and go to Amazon. They've got much better selection, and better prices.

Yeah, but :effort:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zerox147o posted:

Yeah, but :effort:

Get a knife. It appears WS doesn't sell Zojirushi rice cookers, and really if you want to drop big bucks on a rice cooker that's what you should get. Also, their meat thermometer is one of the stupid ones that beeps early and has settings for different meats that are all wrong.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

zerox147o posted:

Halp!

Whatever you do, do not get that rice cooker. I had it, and it never once made a decent batch of rice. The bottom was always scorched, with gooey top due to condensation drop down. I got it because it looked great, matched with my kitchen, and "It's sole job is cooking rice. How hard could that be?". I was very, very wrong.

Either get a nice knife, or sell the GC and head to amazon.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

This one from Panasonic will be a good one. Panasonic/National has as good a rep as Zojirushi. (I'm sure you can find one for ~$100 somewhere other than WS, though.)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Love my zoji

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I got this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003Z2LK68 from Costco for $30. One of the rare items that claims to do a lot of things that does all of them well. Fantastic white and brown rice, including porridge even though it lacks a setting for it, and a great slow-cooker though it only has one temp. Only problem is the size, and while a zojirushi might make slightly better rice, I don't think it makes ten times better rice, as it would have to to justify the price ratio.

Strongly recommended.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Test Pattern posted:

I got this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003Z2LK68 from Costco for $30. One of the rare items that claims to do a lot of things that does all of them well. Fantastic white and brown rice, including porridge even though it lacks a setting for it, and a great slow-cooker though it only has one temp. Only problem is the size, and while a zojirushi might make slightly better rice, I don't think it makes ten times better rice, as it would have to to justify the price ratio.

Strongly recommended.

I have this same cooker in black and can add that it does everything that it says amazingly. Not sure if this one does, but mine came with a steamer basket insert that works very well.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Test Pattern posted:

Strongly recommended.

Actually, I feel that it does have 10x better rice, but I eat a poo poo ton of rice and have lived with both of the rice cooker types mentioned (Aroma, Zoji) for well over a year. I'm glad the Aroma is gone and has been replaced by the superior model. :3:

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Could anyone recommend a good, really fruity olive oil that could be found in a typical Kroger or Food Lion? My go-to brand was the Trader Joe's California cold-pressed extra virgin, but I've moved about 200 miles away from the nearest TJ store. :downsgun:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ended up picking up one of these:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/wusthof-classic-nakiri-knife/

I've been using a 5" Nakiri as my go-to knife for a lot of basic prep work of chopping/dicing/mincing/ing'ing and love the way they work (a spatula, in my knife!?), got the 7" Wusthof one to go with my 8" Chef's. I got that one about a year and a half ago, I do believe it will be about that long before I think I need to get another.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

zerox147o posted:

Ended up picking up one of these:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/wusthof-classic-nakiri-knife/

I've been using a 5" Nakiri as my go-to knife for a lot of basic prep work of chopping/dicing/mincing/ing'ing and love the way they work (a spatula, in my knife!?), got the 7" Wusthof one to go with my 8" Chef's. I got that one about a year and a half ago, I do believe it will be about that long before I think I need to get another.
Colour me jealous.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
Any advice on electric knives? I want to carve turkey, slice roasts, cut bread, and (if they're strong enough?) cut through frozen logs of food for my bizarre experiments.

Crazak P
Apr 11, 2003

PUNISHER > SPIDERMAN

TastesLikeChicken posted:

Could anyone recommend a good, really fruity olive oil that could be found in a typical Kroger or Food Lion? My go-to brand was the Trader Joe's California cold-pressed extra virgin, but I've moved about 200 miles away from the nearest TJ store. :downsgun:

I like this one:
http://www.colavita.com/store/index.cfm/product/341_1/colavita-fruttato-extra-virgin-olive-oil---12-liter-glass.cfm

I find it at my local Lucky's.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Thanks, I'll look for it! The best olive oil I ever had was a Greek variety called Belessi that I "obtained" through an olive oil club my company handled distribution for, but it's nigh impossible to find to buy individually. It was the fruitiest, butteriest puddle of liquid gold I'd ever tasted.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

TheRedEye posted:

Any advice on electric knives? I want to carve turkey, slice roasts, cut bread, and (if they're strong enough?) cut through frozen logs of food for my bizarre experiments.
Proper chef knife for turkey and roasts. Serrated bread knife for bread. Hacksaw(?) for frozen logs.

Use the right tool for the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Steakandchips posted:

Proper chef knife for turkey and roasts. Serrated bread knife for bread. Hacksaw(?) for frozen logs.

Use the right tool for the job.

I do! But I want a fun toy too!

• Locked thread