Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pureauthor posted:

It's set in a high school? I thought it was like DS1 where you're basically running all over the city.

I think you get to go to a couple of different cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Justice posted:

The three main characters are high school students, and the game takes place all over the city. Only the first scene was actually in the high school, although I haven't finished the game so I don't know if you return to it. Regardless, most of the other characters are not in high school or even teenagers.

Did you like it (the game in general)?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Rinkles posted:

And do you ever get used to those stupid designs? It's weird. I was fine with the guy's art in Baccano! and Durarara but they just look silly in Devil Survivor.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Rinkles posted:

I don't think my opinion should sway anyone, because I only liked the original Devil Survivor enough to get one ending. I haven't played much of DS2 because there are a dozen other games I'd rather spend time on.

The designs are pretty silly, but that's japan for you.

If you liked the first one, you'll almost certainly like the second one. It's more of the same, just with new characters and new plot. I did post some of my initial impressions very early in the thread when the game came out.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 30, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Justice posted:

I don't think my opinion should sway anyone, because I only liked the original Devil Survivor enough to get one ending. I haven't played much of DS2 because there are a dozen other games I'd rather spend time on.

The designs are pretty silly, but that's japan for you.

If you liked the first one, you'll almost certainly like the second one. It's more of the same, just with new characters and new plot. I did post some of my initial impressions very early in the thread when the game came out.

I tried getting more than one ending, but eventually got bored with the repetition and mostly mindless tactics of a new game plus, since you were so overpowered from the start. Having a single save didn't help much either.

I wouldn't mind playing a new Devil Survivor, but I'm not looking forward to the prospect of the DS's tiny screen. Strange Journey was a literal eye sore, and SMT games are best played in long sessions.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I still wish the original Devil Survivor got an EU release, it looks pretty cool and the music i've heard from it seems pretty good. Too bad Amazon's only shipping option to Norway is to send it via courier for more than the game itself costs. :psyduck:

Also, between P4: The Rehash and Titty Survivor, someone stop the Atlus Bus, i want off. :sigh:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

And do you ever get used to those stupid designs? It's weird. I was fine with the guy's art in Baccano! and Durarara but they just look silly in Devil Survivor.

I think you probably will once you start playing the game and can look at them as actual characters with personalities, motivations, goals, stats and whatnot instead of just as lumps of goofy anime boobies.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Technique posted:

I still wish the original Devil Survivor got an EU release, it looks pretty cool and the music i've heard from it seems pretty good. Too bad Amazon's only shipping option to Norway is to send it via courier for more than the game itself costs. :psyduck:

Last time I tried to order a game from Amazon, they just plain wouldn't ship it, full stop. Screw 'em. I would recommend Ebay instead - it's actually pretty reliable if you go for a seller with a few thousand positive feedback. If that's an absolute no-go for some reason, I recall play-asia.com having pretty decent shipping rates to Europe. (They don't seem to have DS in stock any more, though, but it might be worth keeping in mind for the future.)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vilkacis posted:

Last time I tried to order a game from Amazon, they just plain wouldn't ship it, full stop. Screw 'em. I would recommend Ebay instead - it's actually pretty reliable if you go for a seller with a few thousand positive feedback. If that's an absolute no-go for some reason, I recall play-asia.com having pretty decent shipping rates to Europe. (They don't seem to have DS in stock any more, though, but it might be worth keeping in mind for the future.)

I got an email from Play-Asia with two coupon codes for $7 off $77 or $15 of $150, that are valid through Dec 31st 2011. I'd be happy to give it to any goons who want it, especially if they were ordering an English version of a game out of country.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Same here, I hadn't thought to throw those up but I can't think of anything I'll be buying this holiday season if someone wants 'em.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just had an unreal experience at work when I was talking about Vidya Games to my manager and he said he liked persona 4 and was watching the P4 anime. What the hell? Cool!

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Guess who just found a Devil Summoner 2 limited edition box with Raiho at gamestop :smug: It was only 20 bucks as well, because the box that it came in was opened but the game was not.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They have several copies at all my local GS with the Raiho plush, 20 is the price point opened or not, you didn't get a special deal or anything.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I've seen a dozen of them sitting in a sad little stack at more than one commissary. I picked one up about two years ago out of sympathy, but I still haven't opened it. I'm sure it's a good game though.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it
What exactly does agility and luck do in Nocturne and DDS?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Agility affects turn order (in Nocturne, not in DDS), accuracy and the chance to dodge attacks. Luck affects criticals and the chance of being inflicted by an ailment. That's off the top of my head, so there may be something else it affects that I'm not thinking of.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
How strong are the buffs and debuffs in Strange Journey, anyway? How much damage does a dude with -2 attack modifier do compared to a dude with 0 attack modifier? Are the attack/defense mods percentage-based?

You'd think this would be the sort of thing I'd be able to find easily on the Internet, but I haven't had any success just yet.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Someone posted this ranking list from Japan from the Persona games.

About as awful as I expected, I disagree with pretty much everything.

And I'm dropping the P4 anime, they've completely butchered Kanji.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Kanji is the least popular character in the series? gently caress you Japan.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Literally one character from a game that isn't P3/P4 on that list. God drat.

Check out these Persona shirts!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I am kind of amazed the dog scores higher then Elizabeth or Tatsuya or Akihiko.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Alteisen posted:

Wow, I thought Japan had a serious hardon for Aigis, but there she is, sitting at #5. I guess they really like Persona 4.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Law posted:

Kanji is the least popular character in the series? gently caress you Japan.
Maya isn't even on the list :psyduck:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I am kind of amazed the dog scores higher then Elizabeth or Tatsuya or Akihiko.

I'm amazed Ms. I have no personality Amagi scored higher than so many characters.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Ahahaha. That list could not be more opposite goon popular opinion. :allears:

Alteisen posted:

I'm amazed Ms. I have no personality Amagi scored higher than so many characters.

Are you really amazed?

You're not really. You liar. :mad:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Schlegel Mach posted:

Ahahaha. That list could not be more opposite goon popular opinion. :allears:

Are you really amazed?

You're not really. You liar. :mad:

I am VERY amazed, see I put much interested in fan polls of fictional characters.

But really Kanji at 17 tied with Yukari and what's her name from P3 is :stare:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm amazed Yosuke and Chie are so high on a Japanese fan list. I'm not surprised however that a crappy character like Naoto is up there but I would have thought Aigis would have been #1.

Also surprising is that a Persona 2 character is even on that list although of course he's the worst most emo one.

Alteisen posted:

Generally on these types of fan listings the top spots are dominated by

1. Main character of the series
2. Pretty boys
3. Females with no or robotic personalities

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 8, 2011

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I don't get it. Where's Naoya? :confused:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Would it be wrong of me to chalk Kanji's placing up to just plain ol' homophobia in Japan?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Law posted:

Would it be wrong of me to chalk Kanji's placing up to just plain ol' homophobia in Japan?

Nah he's just not a "cool" slightly effeminate dude or a non-threatening girl so he's going in with the deck stacked against him.

Honestly Yosuke's popularity is what intrigues me the most since he doesn't fit any of the usual stereotypes for Japanese fan popularity.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Radish posted:

Nah he's just not a "cool" slightly effeminate dude or a non-threatening girl so he's going in with the deck stacked against him.

Honestly Yosuke's popularity is what intrigues me the most since he doesn't fit any of the usual stereotypes for Japanese fan popularity.

Shinjiro is up there pretty high, and he's threatening and not very effeminate at all.

He should be up higher though, because he's one of the few P3 playable cast members who isn't a dork.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Policenaut posted:

Shinjiro is up there pretty high, and he's threatening and not very effeminate at all.

He should be up higher though, because he's one of the few P3 playable cast members who isn't a dork.

Now that I think about it, I think coolness is more important than girlyness although both help. But yeah when Shinjiro died for Ken of all characters it was a real bummer since I would have gladly gotten the opposite result.

Also I would buy that Gas Chamber shirt except that it would almost certainly be mistaken for a Nazi reference by 99.9999% of everyone that saw it.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

Radish posted:

I'm surprised at Yosuke's popularity mostly because I took the first opportunity to get him out of my party.

Also: I have a class called Game Culture next semester, and from what I understand, I have to play a game 10 hours a week and blog about it for part of my grade. I figure this is a good excuse to knock off another Megaten. So my options are:

Persona
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
SMT: Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga
Devil Summoner

I've already beaten Persona 3 and 4, so those are out of the way.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
^ Nocturne. Always Nocturne.

Alteisen posted:

Tatsuya being the only one not from P3 or 4 is bad enough on its own... but, Chidori why are you on this list? You were in like 4 scenes and were a terrible boss fight that lasted like 3 minutes. If you weren't a bitch to Junpei a whole bunch, and the sole cause of him becoming halfway decent in combat, I'd have probably forgotten you existed.

And yet here she is. Instead of Katsuya, or Baofu, or Maya, or Naoya, or Kei or Ulala or Philemon or Nyarlathotep

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

HarkToTheLoons posted:

I'm surprised at Yosuke's popularity mostly because I took the first opportunity to get him out of my party.

Also: I have a class called Game Culture next semester, and from what I understand, I have to play a game 10 hours a week and blog about it for part of my grade. I figure this is a good excuse to knock off another Megaten. So my options are:

Persona
Digital Devil Saga
Devil Summoner

The original Persona or the PSP remake? If you can play the PSP remake, do that, because it's the best Persona. If not, go for Nocturne or DDS.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Could someone provide some context for what this list represents?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Personally I think P2 Eternal Punishment is the best but some aspects (notably clunkiness of the gameplay systems) haven't aged well.

Rinkles posted:

Could someone provide some context for what this list represents?

It's just a stupid fan poll over character popularity.

No one mentioned that Mara is the #5 most popular persona? :v: I find the Persona poll more irritating since the Persona 2 designs were much, much better than the stuff that came later.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 8, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Most the the magazine's readership probably are new generation fans, so I'm no that surprisied about the lack of P1/P2 characters (though Maya's absence in a top 20 list is rather inexcusable). What is, though, to me is the cast of P4 polling higher than P3, which was the more popular of the two in sales and merchandise. Probably the the anime's effect.
And yeah, what's with Yosuke at no. 2?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HarkToTheLoons posted:

Persona
Digital Devil Saga
Devil Summoner

Well, Nocturne or Persona 2. But if you're doing Eternal Punishment, you really should do Innocent Sin first. So, ultimately, what I'm saying is that you should play Nocturne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Most the the magazine's readership probably are new generation fans, so I'm no that surprisied about the lack of P1/P2 characters (though Maya's absence in a top 20 list is rather inexcusable). What is, though, to me is the cast of P4 polling higher than P3, which was the more popular of the two in sales and merchandise. Probably the the anime's effect.
And yeah, what's with Yosuke at no. 2?

P4 is in a pretty huge marketing push right now, so it isn't that big of a surprise.

Anyway, here's the Persona rankings:
1. Izanagi
2. Thanatos
3. Alice
4. Jack Frost
5. Orpheus (tied)
5. Mara (tied)
7. Yoshitsune
8. Jiraiya
9. Konohana Sakuya
10. Black Frost (tied)
10. Jack Lantern (tied)
10. Scathach (tied)
10. Beelzebub (tied)
14. Cu Chulainn (tied)
14. Lucifel (tied) (This is sparkly angel Lucifer, right?)
16. Cerberus
17. Koryuu (tied)
17. Takamikazuchi (tied)
17. Messiah (tied)
20. Lucifer

Policenaut posted:

Literally one character from a game that isn't P3/P4 on that list. God drat.

Check out these Persona shirts!

These aren't getting enough love.