Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Doctor Butts posted:

One of the guys had asked if I ever wanted to play ice, and that he was trying to get some new people to join the Hockey North America thing.

Has anyone else gone through them? The prices seem steep, but it does have an 8 week beginner hockey course.

That's how I got onto my team in Calgary, joined the beginner skate program with some friends from work. I didn't need the lessons (heh :smug:) but they put you onto a team at the end and you get to know everyone pretty well before you actually start playing games together.

I didn't really notice the cost, hockey is expensive etc etc and the fees were about the same as they are where I live now with a different association, but the league was run well enough, decent scheduling (I like late games, though) and a whole hell of a lot of teams.

Go for it, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Also a note, if you were looking for more gear on sale Total Hockey has a code going now where you can get 20% off items ordered today by putting in 20kfans. It's a bit better than some of the codes elsewhere because you can seemingly apply it to everything in the store.

I need a new stick cause my S13 just started to get chipped in the blade and while I can't use my 20% discount at HockeyMonkey for a S19 I was able to apply it at Total Hockey so I got a brand new S19 for $140 or so which is pretty damned good to me.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

I like how all the "related searches" at the bottom is pink girls gear.
Yeah, it's weird. I mean, what's more manly than animal skin on your hockey gloves? Go figure.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

The prices seem steep, but it does have an 8 week beginner hockey course.

How much is it and where are you located?

How much I pay to play in Los Angeles isnt reflective of people in NY vs people in Canada. It all depends.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My HNA fees in Calgary were about $520 for a season, which was like 31 games + 2 playoffs, I think. Fees have probably gone up in the 2 years since I've played for Hockey North America, Calgary rinks are getting expensive. The beginner course I think was like $100 extra or something, the first year.

Here in Saskatoon under the ASHL, fees are $510, identical # games and playoffs I believe.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Winter season will consist of 24 games (two preseason) for $8900:smith:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

xzzy posted:

fallling hurts a whole lot less when you got full hockey gear on.

Also you feel like way more of a badass than you expected to inside that wonderful armor.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

poser posted:

this kills me every time i saw it. i paid 12 bucks last season for intramurals, and that was like 6 games I think. sucks that's the only league i can play in until i'm 21 and can do men's league, but still. 2 bucks per game.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

poser posted:

We're $6000/team for 26 games + playoffs.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
If I had $300 to waste ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vancouver-C...7#ht_500wt_1287

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Winter season is 3200 for 16 games and playoffs where I'm at(so 215 each). $8900 is insane.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

$9525/team here. 26 games (23 regular season, 2 playoff, 1 preseason).

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:siren: Sick Cyber Monday $15 Glove Deal :siren:

But seriously, there's a bunch of poo poo on sale here:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/cyber-monday-2011.html

A teammate of mine has a set of these. I saw them in her bag probably the day after I initially saw them in this thread. I went ballistic and had to try them on.

I especially love the reviews:

"Simply the greatest gloves you can buy on this planet. They don't just have an amazing look but they are an absolute stud in and off the rink."

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hockey cost: $0

Sponsors rule.

Seriously though you should ask the company you work for if they will give you money for hockey. You'll be surprised.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

We at least got our jerseys paid for by being sponsored by some stupid energy drink.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

sellouts posted:

How much is it and where are you located?

How much I pay to play in Los Angeles isnt reflective of people in NY vs people in Canada. It all depends.

Cleveland, Ohio.

Lady on phone said for Cleveland the fee is $350, plus $125 for set of jerseys. I don't know if that was just for the 8 week 'beginning hockey' thing or if it was for the season. According to the website, its $395 for a season of 22 games + playoffs.

I also heard back from the local HNA admin, he said they hold the beginning hockey school at the same time each year. So I either wait over a year just to go to the beginning school or try to jump in on fall registrations when I'm comfortable skating.

spotswood
Feb 25, 2006
gary
Anyone know where there is a place to play shinny in the Toronto area? I am playing once a week, but I am finding that this isn't enough to feed my hockey addiction.

I also want to improve and I think its tough to get better playing only once a week.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
We get work to pay some of our money, but because no other work team at our studio has fees as high as ours that's the most we get. It basically comes out to having an extra person on the team, money-wise at least. For us it's about $300 a person for 12 games + 3 playoff games.

Thankfully someone managed to convince the powers that be at work to pay for us to get new jerseys, so we have our forward, the art director for Madden designing us new jerseys that we'll get next season. Hell I think they may even sell the jerseys in our company store which, if they did hero jerseys, would be amazing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

costs

The Jersey thing to me seems to be the most ridiculous. 125? Are they nuts? A plain white jersey from CCM with a number should be 10.99 + a small fee for a number to be screened on, same for dark. Socks aren't that much either and matching socks don't matter in my opinion.

$350 for 8 games with coaches is high, but if you're getting coached it should come at a higher cost than just rink + referees. I'm sure the classes are smaller too.

I dunno, definitely pricey, but if it's a good environment I'd pay even more to play in it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's 125 for 3 jerseys: practice, home, and away.
edit: yea, still more than 10$ but still better than NHL pro stock stuff :)

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
$125 for three jerseys doesn't sound bad, but it seems unnecessary. Do you guys get to choose the jersey and design or is it a generic jersey with the rink name? If it's the latter, then I think it is safe to say that you know where their profit margin is.

I recently got jerseys for one of my teams and they ended up costing around $46 per person. We probably could have got them made cheaper, but I didn't have the time to do the research and they let everyone pay separately, so it prevented the drama of me or someone else needing to pay for the jerseys up front and then try collecting the money afterwards. I think they turned out pretty well and we finally got a win last week.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Just have to post that Sellouts is mad pimpin on the ice, the Getzlaf curve will take some getting used to but gives great lift, midnight hockey is awesome and when you have a lady playing her second game ever you have to drag her off the ice for shift changes.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Aniki posted:

$125 for three jerseys doesn't sound bad, but it seems unnecessary. Do you guys get to choose the jersey and design or is it a generic jersey with the rink name? If it's the latter, then I think it is safe to say that you know where their profit margin is.

I recently got jerseys for one of my teams and they ended up costing around $46 per person. We probably could have got them made cheaper, but I didn't have the time to do the research and they let everyone pay separately, so it prevented the drama of me or someone else needing to pay for the jerseys up front and then try collecting the money afterwards. I think they turned out pretty well and we finally got a win last week.

poo poo, I didn't seem to include the picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

bewbies posted:

Hockey cost: $0

Sponsors rule.

Seriously though you should ask the company you work for if they will give you money for hockey. You'll be surprised.
Yeah, my buddy got his work and the credit union all the employees to sponsor our team last spring. Got jerseys and ice time paid for pretty much all the way, it was awesome.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
We pay $9,200 per team in Seattle for 22 regular season games and 2+ playoff games. Works out to like $590 per skater. it sucks since there are very few rinks around that practices are impossible to do (no ice time or bad times or too much $$ (>250/hr). The Seattle league (GSHL) started off as a HNA league but broke away from them.

When I played in St Louis I payed in their HNA league and it was good. I also played a "learn to play" weekly at a local rink which essentially gave me a game & practice each week and both together cost less than what I pay in Seattle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Acethomas posted:

Just have to post that Sellouts is mad pimpin on the ice, the Getzlaf curve will take some getting used to but gives great lift, midnight hockey is awesome and when you have a lady playing her second game ever you have to drag her off the ice for shift changes.

So you're saying Kronwall should be using a Getzlaf curve for stuff like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lr3xsFteGw

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

xzzy posted:

So you're saying Kronwall should be using a Getzlaf curve for stuff like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lr3xsFteGw

Thats something I will be doing the next game for sure.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
To the people who have sponsors how did you do it? We have a few sponsored teams in our league but they are a company team.. how can we get money if only one person works there?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

poser posted:

To the people who have sponsors how did you do it? We have a few sponsored teams in our league but they are a company team.. how can we get money if only one person works there?
Like I said it was my buddy's work and not mine, but I assume you just ask. I think they'd prefer a good number of the players to be employees though, because I doubt companies get any tangible benefit from sponsoring a team aside from helping out their employees. Whatever exposure they get as a sponsor is just a plus, I guess.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ace it was fun having you out last night. Glad you were able to make it and had a good time. Hopefully you'll be able to join us regularly. Also the Staples Center skate is going to be fun -- last time I played it was for a charity game so we were scabs but this time I think it should be pretty similar to the drop in. They are going to mix the teams up so they are close to evenly skilled and with 10 skaters per side we will have plenty of ice and hopefully regular changes, positions and officials.

Anyone else if you're in SoCal, into late night tuesday hockey and can roll into work late Wednesday or don't require much sleep hit me up. It's a good skate.

My pond hockey tournament team got sponsored jerseys by just having bewbies on our team. He didn't do anything for the sponsorship, per se, but when he joined the team our sponsor came through. My only logical conclusion is to get your team sponsored just get him on your roster.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We got sponsored by a local brewery (awesome) because someone on the team knows the owner. They paid for our jerseys and kicked in a little bit extra for our first-season league fees.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Double-posting to ask for elbow pad recommendations that actually stay in place. I've got Vapor X:40s right now, but the elastic straps are going to poo poo.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
We pay $3,250 for 20 regular season games plus one guaranteed playoff game. I can't even conceive of a team fee of $9000+.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Double-posting to ask for elbow pad recommendations that actually stay in place. I've got Vapor X:40s right now, but the elastic straps are going to poo poo.

I have Supreme One 35's and they don't budge.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Fingers McGee posted:

I have Supreme One 35's and they don't budge.

Same with my One40's

Thufir
May 19, 2004

One of the local shops just started doing the flat bottom v cut, is it worth it at $3 more per sharpening?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It takes getting used to. You should try it out and see if you like it. I know people that hate it and people that love it. Some prefer FBV, some prefer a custom radius.... It really all depends on you

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does it take any extra metal off to try it, and then go back to a normal cut if you don't?

Compared to, say, two normal round cut sharpenings?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

Does it take any extra metal off to try it, and then go back to a normal cut if you don't?

Compared to, say, two normal round cut sharpenings?

Yes, it does. Switching from FBV to standard sharpening or vice versa takes off more metal than sharpening the skate with the same method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I saw that my rink does the flat bottom now and was thinking of trying it out.