Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Can we start a new thread for just general SK discussion as people take the title far too literally and just come in to post Cujo or that scene from IT repeatedly ;)

Judging by his latest he's actually pretty good again!! I hope the Wind in the Keyhole or whatever it's called owns

Just ask a mod to change the thread title to "Meh-est Stephen King Novel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

"Stephen King awesome novel discussion / post-accident terrible novel discussion!"

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
"Creepiest {Intentional) Stephen King Novel."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
"11/22/63 is holyshitwow/Cujo was written in a blackout discussion".

Siggers
Oct 4, 2011
The Dome, first book for a long time I didn't even bother to finish.
The problem I find with S.K now is there's too much padding and frankly half the time I don't even care about the characters.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Siggers posted:

The Dome, first book for a long time I didn't even bother to finish.
The problem I find with S.K now is there's too much padding and frankly half the time I don't even care about the characters.

thats a shame. I really enjoyed Under the Dome. I rather enjoy his books where he tackles some experience from the perspective of the whole town (Tommyknockers, 'Salem's Lot, Needful Things).

That being said, I finished 11/22/63 last night. Holy poo poo. Hands down the best ending that man has written in years, if ever. I'm not the sort to cry at books, but that ending got me pretty close Easily his best novel since the accident.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He didn't want to risk popping somebody he didn't absolutely know was responsible. He even felt guilty shooting the janitor's dad the second time, compared to the first. There's a big difference between getting someone in the act and gunning them down in cold blood, which was fully demonstrated in the first third of the book. I mean, really, would you be able to kill someone like that? Plus, the residue. Who knows what repurcussions actions in the past like that have.

Except it wasn't the fact that Kennedy was alive that really ruined everything, but the fact that it was a result of time being meddled with. I rather enjoyed how instead of "Oh no, The future is ruined because Kennedy turned out to be Hitler 2!", but that the worst repercussions were due to the actual tampering of the time stream.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Roydrowsy posted:

Except it wasn't the fact that Kennedy was alive that really ruined everything, but the fact that it was a result of time being meddled with. I rather enjoyed how instead of "Oh no, The future is ruined because Kennedy turned out to be Hitler 2!", but that the worst repercussions were due to the actual tampering of the time stream.

Most of that was directed at the whole "why not just shoot Oswald right away" thing, the repercussions was an afterthought. Plus, according to the new card guy, there is some sort of lasting damage from using the time travel.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Most of that was directed at the whole "why not just shoot Oswald right away" thing, the repercussions was an afterthought. Plus, according to the new card guy, there is some sort of lasting damage from using the time travel.

i know.. i realized i quoted the wrong person and was too lazy to go back and fix it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

11/22/63

Great, great book. Actually made me tear up a couple of times, mostly stuff involving Bobbi Jill's facial scar and then Sadie's.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I Don't Even Remember Writing The Tommyknockers

This Onion article is great

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I Don't Even Remember Writing The Tommyknockers

This Onion article is great

I love the onion. Great stuff daily.

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005

This might be something that's been going on for a while, and perhaps I've only just started noticing it, but in the last couple of books I've got a little bit of enjoyment out of him mentioning characters from other authors' works.

In Under The Dome somebody gets a recommendation from an MP named Jack Reacher (from Lee Child's books) and in 11/22/63, near the end, there's a mention of a rogue FBI agent named Dwight Holly (a character from James Ellroy's Underworld USA trilogy) assassinating George Wallace in Chicago.

Captain Rehab fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 27, 2011

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Rehab posted:

This might be something that's been going on for a while, and perhaps I've only just started noticing it, but in the last couple of books I've got a little bit of enjoyment out of him mentioning characters from other authors' works.

In Under The Dome somebody gets a recommendation from an MP named Jack Reacher (from Lee Child's books) and in 11/22/63, near the end, there's a mention of a rogue FBI agent named Dwight Holly (a character from James Ellroy's American Underworld trilogy) assassinating George Wallace in Chicago.
So Dwight Holly is totally fictional. After I finished 11/22/63 I was looking on the internet to see if he was a real person, as Ellroy uses so many real people from history as characters.

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005

I did much the same thing, but also kind of assumed that he was fictional due to being a perspective character in Blood's A Rover.

Interested to know if King's been doing this in his other works - it wouldn't surprise me that he has and they've just gone over my head as, try as I might, I have yet to read every book in existence.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
Any "It" fans should check out "Summer of Night" by Dan Simmons. Pretty similia set up. Bunch of. Small town kids in the late 50's fight an old evil, with much less tween gang sex and universe turtles.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Is there anywhere I can read a synopsis or cliff's note summary of 11/22/63? The wikipedia write up stops right as he gets busted for having a fake diploma.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Poundcake, poundcake , poundcake. Stop it Stephen.

I finally got around to finishing 11/22/63. LOVED it. I actually got a little misty eyed in a Stephen King book. Easily the best thing he has done in 20 years, really looking forward to Dr Sleep now.

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 1, 2011

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Yeah, 11/22/63 was actually pretty drat good. It was really long, and maybe could have been shortened, but I think the overall pacing worked out in the end, as it helped convey the main character's experience.

However, considering the title of this thread, I feel the need to point out that his son (Joe Hill) gave him the ending this time. :smugdog:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Locus posted:

Joe Hill

I have a Kindle book of short stories called 20th Century Ghosts by this young man and it's like reading King in his prime. So many good stories. I got it on sale for $0.99 a long time ago, but it's well worth the $10 Amazon is asking for it now.

The stories are widely varied, though many of them feature young teens in a central role. My favorites are about a kid who wakes up to find he's now a giant insect and another about a kid whose mentally challenged brother builds forts that lead to another dimension.

Well, I say those are my favorites, and they're good, but when it comes to "Pop Art", I could probably write more words in praise than the author wrote for the story itself. "Pop Art" is absolutely wonderful. It's touching, it's sweet, it's weird, and above all, it's very, very good. It is easily the best short story I've read in a years.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If you guys like Joe Hill, be sure to check out the Locke & Key comic series he does.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Yes, read Locke & Key, and read 20th Century Ghosts. The former is extremely fun modern Gothic fantasy, and maybe the best thing Hill has written, and 20CG has a lot of echoes of classic King, as has been remarked.

A warning about his novels though: they're better plotted/paced than King's, but they also are completely ridiculous and make no sense. The critic ST Joshi rails on King for his supernatural elements being inconsistent and illogical but I think if he ever read a novel by Hill he'd have an aneurysm. I was teaching Heart-Shaped Box to first-year undergrads last fall and even they were calling the book out on its bullshit.

But this is not an inaugural post for the thread "Worst Joe Hill Novel" thread so I'll reiterate: read Locke & Key and 20th Century Ghosts.

Also an observation: the amount of mean and/or dead fathers in Hill's work starts to look sort of funny, in context, you know.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Yeah, I read that Heart Shaped Box book and I thought it was pretty awful. I guess I'll give some of his other stuff a try though.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'll tell you what's awesome about listening to the newer steven king audiobooks. You can work, you can read the paper, you can write your own novel and just pause occasionally to listen for an update.

Why?

This idiot rambles so much more than he ever did. I swear to God - the man needs a team of editors. I don't know WHY I picked up 11/22/63, after suffering through the last short story from his previous type-o-rrhea.

Here's what I like about the book: he's re-examining IT.

Here's what I hate about the book: he's re-examining IT. And motherfucker runs on and on. And on.

At least I get to listen while I work.

DeseretRain
Oct 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I haven't read 11/22/63 yet. For all you guys who like it, can you tell me what your favorite and least favorite SK novels are? I just want some comparison, to see if your taste is the same as mine. Because I've been wary of 11/22/63 because the premise just doesn't sound interesting at all to me. It seems like Baby Boomers are really obsessed with the JFK assassination and it's just not something I care about at all. I've read every single published SK book besides Black House and that factual book about baseball, so whatever book you want to give me for comparison, I'll know what you're talking about.

Also, someone convince me to re-read IT. It's been over 10 years since I read IT, and I usually re-read SK novels that I like. A part of me really wants to re-read IT...but the ending just KILLS it for me. It makes me feel like every single thing that happened in the book was just so totally pointless and worthless, especially after what we find out about Pennywise in Dreamcatcher. I want to re-read it, but KNOWING that ending is coming the whole time will bother me so much.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

DeseretRain posted:

So I haven't read 11/22/63 yet. For all you guys who like it, can you tell me what your favorite and least favorite SK novels are? I just want some comparison, to see if your taste is the same as mine. Because I've been wary of 11/22/63 because the premise just doesn't sound interesting at all to me. It seems like Baby Boomers are really obsessed with the JFK assassination and it's just not something I care about at all. I've read every single published SK book besides Black House and that factual book about baseball, so whatever book you want to give me for comparison, I'll know what you're talking about.

Well, I'm half-way through and so far at least, it's not so much about the JFK per say as it is about stopping a bad thing from happening, and that's the event King has gone for. Even the protagonist doesn't really know that much about it.

It's a very enjoyable read. Classic King, but at the same time completely fresh. Hard to compare it to anything else really. If there's Good-King and Bad-King, this is definitely Good-King.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hell yes, just found the limited-trade 1st edition hardcover of Wizard & Glass at my local used-book shop, they obviously had no idea what it's worth because I picked it up for $15. :smug:

Only 40,000 were printed, I wonder how many are still in mint condition, or even in circulation/existence.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeseretRain posted:

I like IT/Long Walk/The Stand/the second story from Hearts in Atlantis/The Mist/Talisman and his more random short stories like the falling frogs/Dark Tower 3 and 4

I hate Lisey's Story/Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon/Rose Madder/Story about the woman chained to the bed

I also hate Kennedy related stuff because I generally don't care.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

mdemone posted:

Hell yes, just found the limited-trade 1st edition hardcover of Wizard & Glass at my local used-book shop, they obviously had no idea what it's worth because I picked it up for $15. :smug:

Only 40,000 were printed, I wonder how many are still in mint condition, or even in circulation/existence.

Plenty, by the looks of eBay. And it's not even that valuable within the realm of first editions. I mean, great find and all, but you won't be retiring off of a future sale :).

DeseretRain
Oct 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Darko posted:

I like IT/Long Walk/The Stand/the second story from Hearts in Atlantis/The Mist/Talisman and his more random short stories like the falling frogs/Dark Tower 3 and 4

I hate Lisey's Story/Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon/Rose Madder/Story about the woman chained to the bed

So, you liked the book even though you don't care about the Kennedy stuff? So it's still pretty good even for someone who doesn't really care about the JFK assassination?

Not sure what to make of the rest of your taste since it's a total mix for me...The Long Walk is my favorite book ever, not just of King's, but EVER. But The Stand is my least favorite King book and I hate it. I do love The Mist a lot, and I liked Rainy Season alright (that's the title of the one with the frogs if I remember the title right) and I did like DT 3 and 4.

And yeah, I also hated Lisey's Story. But I kinda liked The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Rose Madder, and Gerald's Game (that's the one with the woman handcuffed to the bed). Didn't LOVE any of those, but liked them all, enough that I've read each of them twice.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ornamented Death posted:

Plenty, by the looks of eBay. And it's not even that valuable within the realm of first editions. I mean, great find and all, but you won't be retiring off of a future sale :).

Heh, I know. I've made it a goal of mine to get the first editions of all seven DT books, but never really thought I'd find any of the first four (without paying hundreds on eBay/Abebooks). I practically squeaked when I saw it on the shelf.

It's the principle of the thing -- like finding a rookie card worth ten bucks in the nickel box. :)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Nah I know the feeling. I found first editions of Skeleton Crew and The Eyes of the Dragon at a library sale (not ex-library copies, mind you).

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Ornamented Death posted:

Unless it has his name misprinted and then you may need to wait 50 years.

Darko posted:

You are a bad man.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

DeseretRain posted:

So I haven't read 11/22/63 yet. For all you guys who like it, can you tell me what your favorite and least favorite SK novels are? I just want some comparison, to see if your taste is the same as mine.

My problem with saying which books of his I liked, is that all of the other books of his I liked involved more horror, scifi, or supernatural elements (and honestly for me, this is like a top-20 King book, not a top-10). I thought this one was more straightforward and better-paced than Under the Dome (overall disliked), and all the characters were far less cartoony.

While more relateable and emotional than a lot of other work, it was also less "fun" and adventurous, than say, The Stand, any Dark Tower book, etc.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

DeseretRain posted:

So, you liked the book even though you don't care about the Kennedy stuff? So it's still pretty good even for someone who doesn't really care about the JFK assassination?

Not sure what to make of the rest of your taste since it's a total mix for me...The Long Walk is my favorite book ever, not just of King's, but EVER. But The Stand is my least favorite King book and I hate it. I do love The Mist a lot, and I liked Rainy Season alright (that's the title of the one with the frogs if I remember the title right) and I did like DT 3 and 4.

And yeah, I also hated Lisey's Story. But I kinda liked The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Rose Madder, and Gerald's Game (that's the one with the woman handcuffed to the bed). Didn't LOVE any of those, but liked them all, enough that I've read each of them twice.
You don't have to read the book if you don't want to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DeseretRain posted:

While the JFK stuff is the reason why the main character went back in time he spends the majority of the book doing other things. He goes back to 1958 and has to spend the five years living until the Oswald stuff becomes relevant.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Creflo Chronicle posted:

You don't have to read the book if you don't want to.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

DeseretRain, if you've read all of King's other books you know you'll probably read this one too, at some point, regardless of what anyone says. Quit trying to convince yourself to read it and just come back to it when you run out of books on your to-read list.

To answer your concerns, the book's not all JFK JFK JFK, that's just the hook to the story, if you get what I mean. It's most certainly not a JFK book by Stephen King, it's just a Stephen King book with JFK in it.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
"Time" is a bigger character than JFK, or perhaps a mysterious element or force within time, IMO.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DeseretRain posted:

*stuff about what books he liked and didn't like, compared to what another poster did and didn't like*

Maybe you should realize that taste is subjective and what one person likes doesn't necessarily mean another person would also like it :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Yeah, I just finished it a couple of days ago and was kind of surprised how incidental JFK was to the plot. Whoever said earlier that the book is basically just about someone trying to stop A Bad Thing from happening hit it right on the money, you could substitute just about any tragedy for the JFK assassination and the main thrust of the story would be the same. I really liked it, by the way - it has many of the old Stephen King weaknesses, but after thirty years of the guy turning out books it's a little futile to complain about his books being 300 pages longer than they need to be or characters overusing folksy slang.