Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Dodgeball posted:

But, the hiatus is "over"! :jerkbag:

This is just Thanksgiving hiatus.

Though I believe that will roll right into Christmas hiatus which will lead to New Year hiatus and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack Bandit posted:

This is just Thanksgiving hiatus.

Though I believe that will roll right into Christmas hiatus which will lead to New Year hiatus and so on.

Then it will be time for SAD to kick in again.

"Contribute to my fund to buy new bulbs for my full-spectrum lamps."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dodgeball posted:

But, the hiatus is "over"! :jerkbag:

It hasn't even been a full week yet. I mean, I'm a skeptopotamus, but there's plenty of webcomics that do the once-a-week cycle. It's a bit early to be slamming on the dude.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It hasn't even been a full week yet. I mean, I'm a skeptopotamus, but there's plenty of webcomics that do the once-a-week cycle. It's a bit early to be slamming on the dude.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02202011

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

clicking forward from this to this most recent november strip is hilariously depressing :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dodgeball posted:

I don't know who the fourth dude is, but I hope he can hang with the dirtiest dudes in town.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know who the fourth dude is, but I hope he can hang with the dirtiest dudes in town.

That's Admiral Bobbery, I'm not sure how or why he got there. Hopefully he doesn't get mistaken for a person from webcomics.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
This just popped in my head, but whats Lyles title if he is not part of the dirtiest dudes in town clique?

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Hopefully he doesn't get mistaken for a person from webcomics.

Now that you mention it I remember him but I originally assumed he was from some other webcomic.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

SeanBeansShako posted:

This just popped in my head, but whats Lyles title if he is not part of the dirtiest dudes in town clique?

ACE OF GRADES!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ubik posted:

ACE OF GRADES!

gently caress that 3rd week so much, man.

God I am going to miss alt text when that website goes.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

SeanBeansShako posted:

God I am going to miss alt text when that website goes.

Back it up :ssh:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

csammis posted:

Back it up :ssh:

I might do it the hard way and make a notebad of every single one word by word. Ouch,

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 30, 2011

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

That Ace of Grades comic features an Italian-American nicknamed The Situation. It was published in February 2009 - Jersey Shore didn't air until December of that year.

A very foolish part of me hopes these facts are connected.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"Students peel seven hundred pounds of potatoes to gangster rap about burning down zoos and hitting women with golf clubs" never fails to make me laugh until I cry.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My best friend has worked as a chef for most of her life and has probably gone through most of these. She definitely had something like the "Turkish restaurant -> slow-comfort tapas fusion" thing happen to her about two years ago.

Also still love, "Students are allowed to offer me cocaine, although there is no signage," and the bit about the seven half-empty bottles of DeKuypers.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I just realized the thing that's really bothering me about the new strip:

I think Onstad should have started with another of the one-off strips, like the ones he did near the end of 2010 that were still pretty good material (Honest Man Comix/How To Be Happy/etc.), rather than introducing us to what looks like the start of a longer storyline. After failing to deliver on the last one, failing to deliver on restarting Achewood for a long time, etc., it feels like he's promising way too much after delivering too little. I'd rather have a few "Tone Poem" strips and a fizzle than have him slog halfway through a storyline and then leave everything in the air. At this point, his bond with his readers seems to have broken down enough that nobody expects him to finish Ray in Rehab, and he's taking a pretty big gamble on the way he's restarted Achewood.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
The man has made no promises. All he did was log in one day to find that people keep showing up to his site and bitching about his absence, so he decided to kill characters every year until we just stop bitching/showing up.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Ubik posted:

I just realized the thing that's really bothering me about the new strip:

I think Onstad should have started with another of the one-off strips, like the ones he did near the end of 2010 that were still pretty good material (Honest Man Comix/How To Be Happy/etc.), rather than introducing us to what looks like the start of a longer storyline. After failing to deliver on the last one, failing to deliver on restarting Achewood for a long time, etc., it feels like he's promising way too much after delivering too little. I'd rather have a few "Tone Poem" strips and a fizzle than have him slog halfway through a storyline and then leave everything in the air. At this point, his bond with his readers seems to have broken down enough that nobody expects him to finish Ray in Rehab, and he's taking a pretty big gamble on the way he's restarted Achewood.

I think if you produce comics based on what will allow you to make x number of strips per week or whatever, you get Garfield. I say let the man draw the strips that pop into his head. If they're long and ambitious, great. If they're one-offs, also great.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Onstad, you big hot tranny mess!

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Doc Faustus posted:

I think if you produce comics based on what will allow you to make x number of strips per week or whatever, you get Garfield. I say let the man draw the strips that pop into his head. If they're long and ambitious, great. If they're one-offs, also great.

Let's be honest, though. With Onstad's ability to stick to schedule and the number of times he's come back from hiatus for one strip, it does seem like a slightly bold (or even ill-considered) move on his part to launch into a longer story, especially since he did a real rush job to finish the last one.

(Also that bit at the top asking for donations bugs me. He should at least prove that he's not going on yet another hiatus before asking for more money.)

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 1, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll take whatever new strips I can get, what I'd really like to know is if they're still doing the Dark Horse collections, because those rule.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

ChuckDHead posted:

Let's be honest, though. With Onstad's ability to stick to schedule and the number of times he's come back from hiatus for one strip, it does seem like a slightly bold (or even ill-considered) move on his part to launch into a longer story, especially since he did a real rush job to finish the last one.

(Also that bit at the top asking for donations bugs me. He should at least prove that he's not going on yet another hiatus before asking for more money.)

Yeah, that's all I'm really saying. I'm not asking for any kind of strict schedule (or any schedule at all, really) as long as the strips are good, but as the start of a longer story this strip implicitly says there are more to come. My argument was that maybe Onstad should take baby steps back into Achewood instead of biting off more than he might be able to chew.

And I agree, asking for donations when he hasn't delivered a strip (or already-paid-for merchandise) in months is a little tacky.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dickeye posted:

"Students peel seven hundred pounds of potatoes to gangster rap about burning down zoos and hitting women with golf clubs" never fails to make me laugh until I cry.

Yep, it's like the perfect Onstad line. I showed that comic to a friend of mine yesterday and now he's an Achewood fan reading through the archives. I didn't have the heart to tell him what happens at the end (Onstad runs away with all the money).

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Der Shovel posted:

Yep, it's like the perfect Onstad line. I showed that comic to a friend of mine yesterday and now he's an Achewood fan reading through the archives. I didn't have the heart to tell him what happens at the end (Onstad runs away with all the money).

I know gently caress onstad and such as that, but that tip jar, assuming someone is clicking on it, is keeping the archives up and I find that important. :(

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005

glug posted:

I know gently caress onstad and such as that, but that tip jar, assuming someone is clicking on it, is keeping the archives up and I find that important. :(

The merch drama is lovely but I agree with the tip jar. As long as the archives are up he's paying some kind of fee.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Jack Bandit posted:

The merch drama is lovely
What is the merch drama?

I wasn't paying attention when Achewood stopped updating.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
People pre-ordered Achewood Cookbook II. Such a creature has yet to appear. The money has not been returned.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Chris wasn't paying attention when people continued ordering.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gomi posted:

People pre-ordered Achewood Cookbook II. Such a creature has yet to appear. The money has not been returned.

glug posted:

Chris wasn't paying attention when people continued ordering.

Oh.
That's... lovely. =(

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not just cookbook II, either.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

It's not just cookbook II, either.

Yes its why there's quite a few "fans" who no longer view Onstad as some comedy provider but instead as a petty thief. The endless donation whoring on the site and sometimes Twitter are just fuel for that.

So its been a week and a half since the new strip, any optimism I had for it being "regular" even if once a week is slowly fading. Its pretty sad what happened with Achewood the past couple years. Periodically reviving it with a comic every several months is just cruel.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
However, I do still love the comic and the Dark Horse collections.

I'd love for Achewood to be a regular thing again, but I was burned along with everyone else who did.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I find that Achewood is better to me in "syndication." Where every few days I go to the site and hit the random button to get a new episode. It seems to work out pretty well.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

The lack of a new update is frustrating.

Onstad, I'm sure you still read this thread from time to time and I don't blame you for not posting anymore, seeing as how you'd have to explain your financial foibles to us if you did, but god drat it man. Dropping one strip on us and then loving off is an unnecessary cock tease.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I never read Achewood when it was "live"; I only got around to diving through the archives at incredible speed a few weeks ago, How often did it used to update?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

edited for entitled whining.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 3, 2011

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pope Guilty posted:

I never read Achewood when it was "live"; I only got around to diving through the archives at incredible speed a few weeks ago, How often did it used to update?

I don't know that it was ever on a hard schedule, but it was consistently a few times a week when it was live. I don't really blame the dude for not being able to keep up 3/week for however many years, but I'd really love 1/week.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I would be down with that. I follow few webcomics, and one of them is once a week (even though it's really just starting out) and missing that date often, and another is really not even once a week and is not on any kind of schedule. I just want to know it's 'live'.

Hell there was even some cheesy not really that good comic with an owl who had some human kids he took care of that I was reading for some reason for a long while, and then literally months of no update with no news regarding it/etc, and it's off my daily shortcut list never to return. :(

edit: found it, or more specifically, a year old yahoo answers question about why it hasn't updated, and it's so Onstad :(

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100705212512AAJ5F1S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Happy Hippo posted:

The dates are in the archive but in the beginning it was like 5 times a week I think. Later on it became around 3 updates a week. Now it's at one a year, I believe. If you bitch about this you are indulging in what Onstad calls "entitled whining" and you should be eternally grateful for the occasional pearl he tosses out to us swine. Also give him your money.

To be fair, he is in the process of raising a kid. Given the level of involvement he used to have with the characters (writing individual blogs in each character's voice, etc.), it's possible that he just doesn't have the time to meet his personal parenting standards and his personal preferred level of involvement with the characters at the same time.

Not that that excuses undelivered items that were paid for (or the missing cookbook!), but it was still a drat solid decade of Achewood. Anything that pops up now is something around which someone could probably form a great food analogy.