Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Lassitude posted:

incomprehensible robot beeps and boops as dirt farmers on desert planets and stuff.

I guess you could chalk it up to not knowing where real tech was going, but it's hilarious that a cheap e-reader can convert text to speech, but an astromech droid, who can repair spaceships, make humorous quips, and hack supercomputers lacks the ability to download a loving speech app.

quote:

The RLM reviews were apparently taken very badly by some people.

I hadn't seen them until a week ago. I am one of the rare adults that will defend (to a certain extent) the prequels. I'm not saying they were great, hardly, but I thought some of the criticism they took ignored the same flaws in the original trilogy.

And I thought the RLM reviews were not only hilarious, but devastatingly on point. They actually made me a bit embarrassed that I didn't catch some of the incredibly huge mistakes. The sting was taken off the embarrassment by the fact that I was laughing so hard that my stomach hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Man I want swome of those legos, But so expensive. Stupid having kids, making my not buy lego's.

I am years away from having kids, but helping them build one of those huge monstrosities would be pretty aweseome and :3: at the same time, I would think.

I would say have them work together to build that, but I remember how well I worked along my little brother when I was 10, soooooooooo :toot:

In other news my "At War with the Empire Vol. 2" showed up from Amazon. Haven't got too far into it, but pretty cool little vignette about Luke + Wedge / few others supporting a little Intelligence outpost on $throwawayPlanet and they find a clone trooper who's been chilling there for 20 years. It's pretty sweet.

movax fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 30, 2011

Buttonhead
May 3, 2005

Scariest picture in the world.

Chairman Capone posted:

As to how other people understand Chewie and R2, who knows...although come to think of it, are there any scenes where people other than Han actually respond specifically to Chewie? Lando I think, but I'm not sure.

Presumably Obi-Wan is able to speak with Chewie, in order to arrange the meeting with Han Solo in the Mos Eisley Cantina in Episode IV. It doesn't happen on camera, though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Chairman Capone posted:

As to how other people understand Chewie and R2, who knows...although come to think of it, are there any scenes where people other than Han actually respond specifically to Chewie? Lando I think, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure Threepio does at least once in ESB, but it's hardly surprising that Wookiee is one of his six million languages.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I'm pretty sure Threepio does at least once in ESB, but it's hardly surprising that Wookiee is one of his six million languages.

It's called Shyriiwook.
:goonsay:

fake edit: Today I randomly thought about a post from a few pages back talking about a fake (but believable) wookieepedia article called "Follow that Lightsaber!" and I just thought to myself, Star Wars is so goddamn stupid.

*polishes user name and avatar*

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

movax posted:

In other news my "At War with the Empire Vol. 2" showed up from Amazon. Haven't got too far into it, but pretty cool little vignette about Luke + Wedge / few others supporting a little Intelligence outpost on $throwawayPlanet and they find a clone trooper who's been chilling there for 20 years. It's pretty sweet.

Having read the individual comics that make up that collection when they first came out (as part of the Empire/Rebellion series), I'm going to warn you that there's some strange stuff at the end. I'd actually be interested to hear your thoughts when you get through it. Also as a warning, the storyline is never resolved because the series was abruptly canceled. The series was a bit of a mixed bag for me, although I did really like the issues with Sunber, although I think those are being collected in an upcoming omnibus.

Anyone else here ever read the Black Fleet Crisis? I'm about halfway through the first one (Before the Storm). I've heard a lot of mixed things about it, but I'm enjoying it - it's really different from most other Star Wars books, mature in a way that almost none of the Del Rey books have been. It's one of the only times I can remember that the characters are really written in a way that makes them seem like they've grown beyond their movie personas.

Not to mention I admire the author's willingness to not just keep piling on the movie tropes. Han isn't gallivanting around on the Falcon, Chewie realized he has to take care of his own family rather than just hanging out with the Solos the whole time, Leia stays on Coruscant as president rather than giving up her duties for more geriatric space adventures, Luke has become more Obi-Wan like and meditative rather than a prequel-Jedi clone, even the New Republic fleet has phased out X-wings. Not to mention that the Empire isn't really a threat and there aren't any Dark Jedi/Sith Lord villains. I also like the political focus. Probably the only major argument I have against it so far is that the subplot involving Lando, Lobot, and the droids (now there's a teamup you never see in other books) investigating a giant STL space ark thing, Rendezvous with Rama-like. Those parts are interesting, but also don't seem to really connect in with the main plot.

There are a few things that are amusing due to their incompatibility with the prequels, although of course it's not the author's fault. Stuff like Obi-Wan having been on Tatooine for only 10 years, Yoda on Dagobah for over a century (and just because he was a hermit, not to hide from anyone or anything), and Leia saying a few things that are almost exactly what Yoda warned about leading to the dark side in TPM.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Man I want swome of those legos, But so expensive. Stupid having kids, making my not buy lego's.
Buy the legos for them, then slap them out of their hands for "doing it wrong", and send them to their room. Casimir Radon: Parenting Expert.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I hadn't seen them until a week ago. I am one of the rare adults that will defend (to a certain extent) the prequels. I'm not saying they were great, hardly, but I thought some of the criticism they took ignored the same flaws in the original trilogy.

I never quite understood this point because RLM never really said that some of their points couldn't be made for the OT, as well. It's just that the OT is not the focus of the reviews, so saying that "that movie did things wrong too" always struck me as a rather weak attempt to deflect criticism.

And of course someone made this the very core of their own rebuttal. Did somebody manage to save that for posterity? It was a 14-part video rebuttal on Youtube with the goal to apply RLM's criticism to the OT, with predictable results. It seems like they have been taken down, but I would love to see at least the first video again because it was really hilarious in how hard it missed the point.

pirate_doug
Feb 29, 2008

Grendals Dad posted:

I never quite understood this point because RLM never really said that some of their points couldn't be made for the OT, as well. It's just that the OT is not the focus of the reviews, so saying that "that movie did things wrong too" always struck me as a rather weak attempt to deflect criticism.

And of course someone made this the very core of their own rebuttal. Did somebody manage to save that for posterity? It was a 14-part video rebuttal on Youtube with the goal to apply RLM's criticism to the OT, with predictable results. It seems like they have been taken down, but I would love to see at least the first video again because it was really hilarious in how hard it missed the point.

I'm with you. I didn't loathe the prequels. I was always a Star Wars geek, but it actually took the prequels and the EU (kicking off with KotOR and a more adult read through of the Thrawn books)to get me really into it.

I was commenting on a thread elsewhere about some complaints people had. One of the big ones was the use of special effects. Not so much that they were overdone or took focus off the movie, but because they were used over the effects of the 70's & 80's style. They completely ignored the fact that Lucas was using what amounted to cutting edge special effects back then, too, they just weren't as advanced as what we have available now. So the complaints amounted to "George Lucas sucks because he relied too heavily on cutting edge special effects in the prequels! It was so much better when he relied heavily on cutting edge special effects in the OT!"

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Bombadilillo posted:

3 over twelve, one thats under 2...but when she gets to like 5-6 I'm gonna be set!

That one is easy.

"Oh you're too old/young for the legos? Crap, I lost the receipt, looks like I'll just have to build it myself."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

I wasn't referring to their criticism when I said that. As I said, I didn't see the RLM reviews until a week ago. What defense I've made for the prequels goes all the way back to their original releases. I wasn't expecting them to co-review the originals and I don't hold it against the prequel reviews in the least.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
Geez that Lego SSD has me salivating. I have nowhere to assemble it or display it when it's done, but I want it so bad :(

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Having read the individual comics that make up that collection when they first came out (as part of the Empire/Rebellion series), I'm going to warn you that there's some strange stuff at the end. I'd actually be interested to hear your thoughts when you get through it. Also as a warning, the storyline is never resolved because the series was abruptly canceled. The series was a bit of a mixed bag for me, although I did really like the issues with Sunber, although I think those are being collected in an upcoming omnibus.

Will do, thanks for the heads up! I may need to scrounge up some loose issues; Wookieepedia has a nice breakdown of what issues actually make it into the Omnibuses and looks like I'm already cheated out of the Rand Ecliptic mutiny mini-arc. :smith: I need to re-read the first Omnibus again, because I've forgotten half of these minor characters/planets (Jabiim, etc).

quote:

Anyone else here ever read the Black Fleet Crisis? I'm about halfway through the first one (Before the Storm). I've heard a lot of mixed things about it, but I'm enjoying it - it's really different from most other Star Wars books, mature in a way that almost none of the Del Rey books have been. It's one of the only times I can remember that the characters are really written in a way that makes them seem like they've grown beyond their movie personas.

Not to mention I admire the author's willingness to not just keep piling on the movie tropes. Han isn't gallivanting around on the Falcon, Chewie realized he has to take care of his own family rather than just hanging out with the Solos the whole time, Leia stays on Coruscant as president rather than giving up her duties for more geriatric space adventures, Luke has become more Obi-Wan like and meditative rather than a prequel-Jedi clone, even the New Republic fleet has phased out X-wings. Not to mention that the Empire isn't really a threat and there aren't any Dark Jedi/Sith Lord villains. I also like the political focus. Probably the only major argument I have against it so far is that the subplot involving Lando, Lobot, and the droids (now there's a teamup you never see in other books) investigating a giant STL space ark thing, Rendezvous with Rama-like. Those parts are interesting, but also don't seem to really connect in with the main plot.

There are a few things that are amusing due to their incompatibility with the prequels, although of course it's not the author's fault. Stuff like Obi-Wan having been on Tatooine for only 10 years, Yoda on Dagobah for over a century (and just because he was a hermit, not to hide from anyone or anything), and Leia saying a few things that are almost exactly what Yoda warned about leading to the dark side in TPM.

They were OK to me; quite dark, lots of the good guys die (segue into the discussion that often pops up regarding fundies/religion/Star Wars, they must have HATED any of the good guys dying). I thought Leia's characterization went a bit off the deep end though. Regarding the plot arcs:

Lando/Lobot/droids - started off slow, but got better because they ended up [b]deep/[b] in Imperial space, and we get introduced to some random Imperial warlords that are essentially pirates in space. I am a huge sucker for books that decide to peel back the veil and expose areas of the fictional-universe that are normally only throwaway references, "wing five over Stalingrad" style from Escape from New York. I think the author could have done better there, but at least he tried.

Luke - found it dumb as hell, it pays off in the 3rd book I guess, but it was painful to read. Skipped through these for the most part.

Leia - full on raging bitch mode

Nil Spaar - huge rear end in a top hat, and actually killed some good guys! Also fairly intelligent and ruthless for a Star Wars villain whose name isn't Thrawn.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Geez that Lego SSD has me salivating. I have nowhere to assemble it or display it when it's done, but I want it so bad :(

My friends suggested hanging it from the ceiling...would own so hard, but think of the mess if it fell...:stonk:

movax fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 1, 2011

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

Not to mention I admire the author's willingness to not just keep piling on the movie tropes.

I read somewhere that the author hadn't even seen the movies. Considering how much I hated the trilogy I choose to believe it

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I actually enojyed the Black Fleet Crisis, and you just gave me more reasons to like it more. All the seperate plot points wind up converging at the end, and it is pretty satisfying.

The way it deals with the characters is a definite bonus. I think alot of the critisicism comes from the second book. Not much happens in it until the very end and its full of either political speak with Leia or philosophical meandering with Luke. It's not that its bad, its just that it takes a while for stuff to happen. The reason it seems that way is because it is divided in sections for each character. You read about Lando, then Luke and then Leia (I think), so there's the action and adventure first, dialogue and character development second.

There are some cool moments, though. Luke is asked about how he feels proud about destroying the Death Star when there was over one million people on it and he tries to rationalise it. Ackbar gets a protegie with his own story arc, which is fairly interesting. The best moments in that book are the Lando ones, but the reason the book seems to take too long to read is it is divided in sections for each character. You read about Lando, then Luke and then Leia (I think), so there's the action and adventure first, dialogue and character development second.

The third book is pretty good, it makes up for the drag of the second.

If you think the movie tropes are being ignored so far, you're in for a treat when it comes to the climactic space battle at the end of the third!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
BFC was utterly terrible. Read the Let's Read thread posts on it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I personally was bored to tears by the Black Fleet crisis. Lando's plot does fuckall, Leia just screws around and Luke's are a waste of time. The best part of that book was Chewie kicking rear end. All the weird political poo poo really stuck out as not star-warsy to me and the villain just seemed like a total loving retard.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Not to mention that Luke's entire search for his mother has now been retroactively made meaningless.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not to mention that Luke's entire search for his mother has now been retroactively made meaningless.

To be fair, his search for his mother in BFC was meaningless to begin with.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That subplot was a boring piece of poo poo anyways though, but at least Luke got laid, I guess.

Do those people (forget what they were called) ever come up again in EU?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

movax posted:

That subplot was a boring piece of poo poo anyways though, but at least Luke got laid, I guess.

Do those people (forget what they were called) ever come up again in EU?

The slightly less lamer ones were either killed off when the Vong came to town, or are being whittled away in the latest books.

If your patient with the EU soon we'll just a old as gently caress big three wizzing around on droid porta potty chairs with feeding tubes up their noses.

Still fighting dem Sith of course.

TheCommodore07
Sep 24, 2007

Scallywags on the larboard side! Open Fire!
I just read the first of the new books that came out in the new MMO timeline. "Fatal Alliance" is exactly what I look for in a Star Wars book.

Over-the-top Sith Villain? Check.

Mandalorians acting like real Mandalorians and not like Travissorians? Check.

Over-the-top Battles? Check.

Over-the-top World-Ending Super Weapon? Check.

Hutts being bad-rear end gangsters? Check.

Also, the plot was fairly good, even if there were parts where you could tell it was just promoting the MMO. For example, you have a main character from each of the MMO classes. Still, a fun read. Not a mind-blowing amazing novel, but a fun read.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Suffered through the awful voice acting of The Force Unleashed as my friend bought it cheap and used it on my 360, would Battlefront 3 been awesome in Euphoria?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

would Battlefront 3 been awesome in Euphoria?

The only answer can be yes. If that seamless space-to-ground battlefield idea had worked, it would have saved me the cost of Battlefield 3.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It would have sucked and we all know it.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I guess you didn't like Battlefront 2 then? I thought everyone loved the series. My only complaint was that the handheld titles never saw a console/pc release.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 4, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Battlefront 2 was...decent. Could have been a lot better, it suffered from a terrible engine for the console ports.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The space battles were a huge disappointment. They were just so underwhelming.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The space battles were a huge disappointment. They were just so underwhelming.

That I cannot deny. The bot AI was somehow worse than Battlefield 1942 too. If you weren't quick enough even on easy on the single player campaign you'd lose because your bots don't seem to have enough AI to stay alive long enough.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

arioch posted:

BFC was utterly terrible. Read the Let's Read thread posts on it.

I'm always tempted to leap in to defend series/novels I enjoyed. Then I remember I was 13 or 14 when I read them so really that isn't a judge of anything. See also: The New Rebellion.

Incidentally, the only Star Wars books I could never bring myself to finish are Planet of Twilight and the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. I have them all sitting in my bookshelf along with Tatooine Ghost, which I just don't have the motivation to begin because its position in the timeline makes it utterly unnecessary, and Troy Denning is not a good author.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I'm currently making my way through the Revan novel. It kinda sucks. I'm skipping basically every second chapter because it deals with some sith nobhead called Lord Scourge, and I'm guessing that it is merely a setup for the new game? Why would you call a book Revan and only dedicate half of it to that character? Not that Revan is handled well, he spends almost all his time making wise-cracks, only the only person I can imagine talking like that is Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone.

Also: Meetra Surik. MEETRA SURIK.

The only good thing about the book so far is it seems they made Revan the mullet guy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Carnaticum posted:

I'm currently making my way through the Revan novel. It kinda sucks. I'm skipping basically every second chapter because it deals with some sith nobhead called Lord Scourge, and I'm guessing that it is merely a setup for the new game? Why would you call a book Revan and only dedicate half of it to that character? Not that Revan is handled well, he spends almost all his time making wise-cracks, only the only person I can imagine talking like that is Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone.

Also: Meetra Surik. MEETRA SURIK.

The only good thing about the book so far is it seems they made Revan the mullet guy.

As far as I can tell, the SOLE reason the Revan book was published (spoilers for The Old Republic game): there's a side quest where you show up and fight Revan and HK-47 who are running a HK-47 factory. No matter what options you take, you end up having to fight and kill them both. Also it has very little to do with the main game plot and Revan himself only vaguely alludes to the events of KOTOR and the Revan book anyway. So I'm not really sure why they would even want to ruin one of their flagship characters like that. Also, Revan's voice and appearance are kind of dumb.

Again, TOR spoiler but if you want to see the scene in question, it's been put on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z87khulxkA&feature=related

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

As far as I can tell, the SOLE reason the Revan book was published (spoilers for The Old Republic game): there's a side quest where you show up and fight Revan and HK-47 who are running a HK-47 factory. No matter what options you take, you end up having to fight and kill them both. Also it has very little to do with the main game plot and Revan himself only vaguely alludes to the events of KOTOR and the Revan book anyway. So I'm not really sure why they would even want to ruin one of their flagship characters like that. Also, Revan's voice and appearance are kind of dumb.

Again, TOR spoiler but if you want to see the scene in question, it's been put on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z87khulxkA&feature=related

Didn't someone in this thread basically distill it to Jorge was pissed at how Revan/et. al were characterized in KOTOR 2 and wanted to get things back his way? Or something like that?

Wasn't sure if I needed to spoiler, but better to be safe I guess.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

movax posted:

Didn't someone in this thread basically distill it to Jorge was pissed at how Revan/et. al were characterized in KOTOR 2 and wanted to get things back his way? Or something like that?

Wasn't sure if I needed to spoiler, but better to be safe I guess.

Not Lucas but Karpyshyn, but otherwise yeah.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

KOTORII spoiler: Why are they running an HK-47 factory when you take control over a more advanced HK-50 or 51 factory in KOTORII?

I was already planning on avoiding TOR completely, but after reading the reviews on Amazon I'm avoiding Revan and anything written by Karpyshyn. It's probably for the better. Still can't believe they effectively poo poo on KOTORII like that. Kind of shits up KOTOR I too.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 5, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Chairman Capone posted:

Good loving god, that's retarded. Just when you think the EU can't sink any lower. :negative:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
So does anyone know what Lucas came up with for GRIEVOUS' backstory himself?

He clearly created the character first and let the EU writers create the backstory, but he obviously had SOME idea in his head. Anyone know what Grievous' original design was?

A Curved Phallus
Jul 24, 2011

Everything was better in the ninties.
The character the entire Old Republic timeline revolves around doesn't die in a 4 man mid level instance. It's an imposter, and that's not HK-57. You get him as a companion on Ilum.

The fallen Jedi that's been keeping the Sith Emperor at bay for decades decided to retire and run a little droid factory with a trusty assassin droid, makes perfect sense.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

So does anyone know what Lucas came up with for GRIEVOUS' backstory himself?

He clearly created the character first and let the EU writers create the backstory, but he obviously had SOME idea in his head. Anyone know what Grievous' original design was?

He wanted to be a Jedi, but couldn't use the Force, so he decided to kill the Jedi instead and augment himself with robotics to compensate. A bit abbreviated but according to the Clone Wars writing staff that was Lucas' official Grievous backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I love how they chose to ignore 2 canon games and an entire comic book series to fill a raid boss slot. The dumbest EU stuff at least has the excuse of being new in the franchise and not having any continuity to respect, but this is just loving insulting.