Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

You lie. Girls like that are never seen around Engineers!

Clearly you're missing how the one on the left is pointing and saying "Oh god we're in the wrong lounge" while the girl on the right is in the process of standing to bolt for the nearest exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wish Maryland had an engineering student bar. It would've made life so much easier. Instead we just got drunk in the ASME lounge during days of the week that ended in "y" finals week.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Our campus was dry and in the middle of Flint, MI. Which meant you had to drive to either crappy restaurant chain bars in the commercial area, or brave downtown.

Or just get horribly drunk every weekend at off-campus housing/apartments to kill the pain. :smith:

That picture still reminds of me when the campus anime club would do a 36-hour Anime Marathon over a long weekend in the dorm lounge; the smell was horrible and I had to yell at some of them to shower :(

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.
Would it be worth going back for a Mech. E bachelors if I:
-Already have an Econ degree
-And would be graduating at the age of 28?

I started out as an engineer but due to being 18 and lazy ended up not making it through my freshmen year and switched to an Econ BA. Now that I've been out of school and working for awhile I'm finding myself jealous of my friends that actually did get their engineering degrees. I'm mostly concerned with what the Job prospects would be and also the internship/co-op prospects.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"

St1cky posted:

I started out as an engineer but due to being 18 and lazy ended up not making it through my freshmen year and switched to an Econ BA. Now that I've been out of school and working for awhile I'm finding myself jealous of my friends that actually did get their engineering degrees. I'm mostly concerned with what the Job prospects would be and also the internship/co-op prospects.

Your age and other degree are fine. Depending on your interests, you could easily use that econ degree and your engineering degree in your future career.

Smart people who are good communicators will always get jobs.

But doing something based on jealousy is stupid. If that's truly your primary motivation, don't do it.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

St1cky posted:

My story is very similar to yours. Graduated years ago with a Econ BA, spent a decade in software, at 34 decided to start on my engineering degree. I've encountered no naysaying and everyone I've discussed the matter with says my prior experience will help me in my engineering career. As far as opportunity cost and all that goes, I definitely gave up a ton of money to go back to school, but I'm no too concerned about it. I don't have a family to support or a mortgage, I'm not trying to retire at 50 and I was sick to death of software. Money isn't a huge thing to me.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

St1cky posted:

I am going to be 31 by the time I get my degree...you will be fine.

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010
Maybe the wrong thread for this, but anyone out there who is good at microfluidics (research, not for an undergraduate course). I'm absolutely lost on a piece of my thesis, and neither of my advisers are being useful, and the people relevant to the type of problem in department aren't available for meetings. Getting some pointers in the right direction would be awesome.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
My MS thesis was about microfluidics. It was also an unpublishable trainwreck. Feel free to ask but I can't promise I'll be able to help!

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010
I'm dealing with impact of jets with a diameter in the micron range and length in the 10s of micron range, and the coalescence into a droplet via impact. Right now I'm trying to solve dissipation of energy between jet and droplet. Tried using stream functions, didn't work well. Trying viscous vortex rings, but it's a mess. I'm not a fluid dynamicist by any measure, but ugh.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Captain Greed posted:

I'm dealing with impact of jets with a diameter in the micron range and length in the 10s of micron range, and the coalescence into a droplet via impact. Right now I'm trying to solve dissipation of energy between jet and droplet. Tried using stream functions, didn't work well. Trying viscous vortex rings, but it's a mess. I'm not a fluid dynamicist by any measure, but ugh.

Did you consider Lattice Boltzmann? It proved to be working well for microfluidic problems. I will also chat tomorrow with my fellow fluid dynamics guy to see if there is anything else you can use. I assume that if you simulate this problem using some commercial CFD LBM simulator - this will be sufficient?

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010
Probably. My advisors want me to come up with a physics based/analytical expression for the problem first. We're not even using any simulators. The part where I said I was over my head?

Yeah.

EDIT: Writing my own that's...really rather shoddy. Time step mass/energy balance, that's about it. Energy balance is the issue, ofc.

Captain Greed fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 2, 2011

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

So for analytical solution you can ignore all other factors, other than dissipation during jet impact on the surface. The second major dissipation mechanism will be due to the film flow of the liquid on the surface (after impact, but prior to coalescence) and formation of the bubble, which will involve surface tension. But, the first mechanism will be dominant, so as I said, the suggestion is to ignore the rest.

As for the impact - all you basically need is a momentum conservation equation. Let me know if it makes sense to you.

Edit: Actually we spent 5min, writing equations. So, you may consider kind of modified Bernoulli equation for this. To simplify you can compare the initial state - jet with final state - bubble. Jet has mainly kinetic energy, which is density /2 * velocity ^2. Bubble has mainly potential energy, which is integral of surface tension over bubble surface. Both will have pressure, of course. So, what you get than is:

Left side: Pressure of the jet + Kinetic Energy of the jet + Potential Energy of the jet (we have to add it for consistency, since there is still a surface tension, you should estimate it for the same volume, which will later be transformed into the bubble)

Right side: Pressure of the bubble + Zero for kinetic + Potential of the bubble + Dissipation (which is your unknown).

You should have everything to solve it. The funny thing, though, is that the key contribution to dissipation will come from complete loss of kinetic energy, so under this approximation the answer you are looking for is fluid density/2 * velocity of the jet ^ 2. And this is not that strong assumption, actually.

Exergy fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 2, 2011

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
A thread on Formula SAE has opened up, if you were a part of it you should join in. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=345262

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010
Actually, good points ole_bjorne, but your assumptions of scale are off.

We're at a sufficiently small level that there is no bubble, surface energy contribution of jet (I think) is higher than kinetic energy contribution of jet. So the balance is actually

SEjet+KEjet=SEdropsurface-Wdissipation. The issue is finding Wdissipation. Right now we're estimating with low reynolds number vortex rings from synthetic jets, but I'm having issues with that.

System dynamics as a whole are generally Re 2-20, We .4-4 or so.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

I'm just wondering how realistic this is.

I'm a Civil E graduate that works on electrical projects (I work for a utility) I work on projects all the time with mechanical and electrical engineers doing gas and electric work respectively. I'm not talking providing Civil input/insight, I'm talking about leading them.

Still, in terms of progression and whatnot, the lack of an electrical engineering degree could hold me back in the future.

I see that a school nearby offers a MS in EE that is online (it is ABET accredited). How realistic is it to be a Civil undergrad but get a Master's in Electrical? This isn't going to be for a while but I didn't see any strict requirements barring all non EEs from applying.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 10, 2023

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Captain Greed posted:

SEjet+KEjet=SEdropsurface-Wdissipation. The issue is finding Wdissipation. Right now we're estimating with low reynolds number vortex rings from synthetic jets, but I'm having issues with that.

Wait, so you final goal is to find Wdiss or SEdropsurface? You should know the left side of your equation I guess, don't you know the final size of your bubble? On Wdiss matter - my guess would be that it cannot be done analytically, either correlations (if such exist for this scale) or numerical.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

The Experiment posted:

I see that a school nearby offers a MS in EE that is online (it is ABET accredited). How realistic is it to be a Civil undergrad but get a Master's in Electrical? This isn't going to be for a while but I didn't see any strict requirements barring all non EEs from applying.

It really depends on the program. By you time you get to the masters level, the EE subfields are basically completely separate from each other. So I would make sure the program is big on power conversion / power transmission, and then I would check to make sure you can deal with the math (EEs really love diff-eq, LTI systems, and laplace/fourier transforms). as long as you're not intimidated by being expected to know things you don't know and willing to put in a little extra work, it's doable. I'm a ME undergrad doing a CmpE masters and it's kind of the same thing.

That said, I'm not sure there is a lot of value in random M.S.es, I'm doing mine because I was unemployed and got a full ride (normal for engineering Masters), and really wanted to change careers into control systems. In your case, I wouldn't do it unless your employer is paying for it; you're talking $20K-$30K and it's fairly hard to turn that into a concrete salary gain.

For example, I don't really see myself making much more than I would have at my old job, I'll just actually enjoy what I'm doing instead of being bored to death.

As for holding you back career-wise, that entirely depends on the culture of your employer. 10 years down the road, probably nobody will know or care if you have an MS or BS, but if an MS is needed for some intermediate position maybe it makes sense.

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010

ole_bjorne posted:

Wait, so you final goal is to find Wdiss or SEdropsurface? You should know the left side of your equation I guess, don't you know the final size of your bubble? On Wdiss matter - my guess would be that it cannot be done analytically, either correlations (if such exist for this scale) or numerical.

Our final goal is to find the surface energy of the droplet, but to find this we need to find the dissipation energy transitioning between jet form and droplet form. We played around with stream functions, but as said we're trying vortex rings now. I suspect that it will all end in tears (empirical value adjusted to some constant * ohnesorge number ^ some constant).

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evensevenone posted:

I'm a ME undergrad doing a CmpE masters and it's kind of the same thing.

That said, I'm not sure there is a lot of value in random M.S.es, I'm doing mine because I was unemployed and got a full ride (normal for engineering Masters), and really wanted to change careers into control systems. In your case, I wouldn't do it unless your employer is paying for it; you're talking $20K-$30K and it's fairly hard to turn that into a concrete salary gain.

I've got to agree with this. If your employer pays for it take advantage of it. If you pay for it on your own it's stupidly expense. I just signed up for my classes for my last semester of my Comp Sci MS and my total bill fro the last 3 years was $48,510.00 not including books. If it wasn't paid by the company I kinda doubt I would have been willing to drop that kind of coin.

quote:

For example, I don't really see myself making much more than I would have at my old job, I'll just actually enjoy what I'm doing instead of being bored to death.

As for holding you back career-wise, that entirely depends on the culture of your employer. 10 years down the road, probably nobody will know or care if you have an MS or BS, but if an MS is needed for some intermediate position maybe it makes sense.

This kind of goes both ways. Where I work we joke that you have to 'check your boxes'. Getting an MS is one of those boxes. As is taking the company's grad level 9 month class, and some other things that move you up in the company more quickly. When I finish my MS I won't instantly make more money but it will be easier to move around in the company to a position that has more advancement opportunities. I work at such a big company that you have to basically apply when you want to move to another group and having an MS gives you a bit of an advantage compared to other people in the company.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

My employer would be picking up the tab.

This also isn't going to be for another 3-4 years. I'm going to get my MBA first. Having an EE background is an arbitrary line drawn in the sand for HR when it comes to senior management positions. While I have the work experience, they're not going to take a CE over an EE. However, having a MSEE would give me the leg up.

quote:

The first thing I would do is look at the core courses and determine if you would need any pre-reqs before you could succeed at them. If the answer is none or few then send an email to whoever is listed as the advisor and let them know your situation and see how they handle people like yourself. Most likely they will be willing to work with you to make it happen.

Will do. This will actually be at Iowa State.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

Plinkey posted:

I've got to agree with this. If your employer pays for it take advantage of it. If you pay for it on your own it's stupidly expense. I just signed up for my classes for my last semester of my Comp Sci MS and my total bill fro the last 3 years was $48,510.00 not including books. If it wasn't paid by the company I kinda doubt I would have been willing to drop that kind of coin.

Is it standard for employers to offer to put you through (I assume part-time?) Masters courses like this? I'm about to be going into a graduate job but I love learning and could definitely see myself studying again in the future. If an employer would pick up the cost then sweet :) That said I'm graduating with an MEng so I probably won't need it in terms of ticking boxes.

e: also can I just say that waiting to hear back after an assessment centre with a company that you really want to work for is loving excruciating :(

SkynetSacrifice
Feb 20, 2011
I am a sophomore in Mechanical Engineering at a smaller Midwestern university to give you a little bit of background information. I have a dilemma with deciding what I should do with internships this summer. I have two possibilities on the table as of right now being a position with Peabody Energy and a position with the NGA (National Geospatial Agency). The problems associated with both are that Peabody is offering me 18.40/hour, 550/month for rent, and initial travel expenses (all fantastic), but my location would be in deep southern Illinois where I know absolutely no one. The NGA is offering me less money per hour and no money towards rent, but it offers me a position in St. Louis (near family and friends) and a Top Secret Security clearance. So my main questions are: has anyone interned for either of the two companies, what is it like working in a government intelligence agency, how valuable is a top secret security clearance, and what is everyone's personal opinions on what they would do in my circumstance? Thank you for any and all advice.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Getting your TS/SCI is a ticket punch that may prove useful in the future. That said, you really won't be utilized as an ME proper at NGA. So the question is this: would you be doing interesting work at Peabody? To me these are very different tracks. You have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do in the future given that you're only a sophomore, but this is your future. So I'd be more concerned with getting useful skills, and figuring out what you would and wouldn't like. Don't worry so much about the money and living situation, I think getting any internship as a sophomore really puts you ahead of the game.

SkynetSacrifice
Feb 20, 2011

Hed posted:

Getting your TS/SCI is a ticket punch that may prove useful in the future. That said, you really won't be utilized as an ME proper at NGA. So the question is this: would you be doing interesting work at Peabody? To me these are very different tracks. You have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do in the future given that you're only a sophomore, but this is your future. So I'd be more concerned with getting useful skills, and figuring out what you would and wouldn't like. Don't worry so much about the money and living situation, I think getting any internship as a sophomore really puts you ahead of the game.

Some of the ideas that have been going through my head is contacting HR at Peabody and seeing if they would place me in the St. Louis area (I'm fairly certain they have at least one mine here), or contacting the NGA and seeing if I could talk to a former intern about their experiences? Would the first option greatly upset HR? My main concern is not shooting myself in the foot especially since it is uncommon for a sophomore to have so many opportunities.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering last May, and I've been having trouble finding an engineering job. My work experience is mostly in the materials field; I had a research position with a campus lab where I worked on metal and ceramic properties at high strain rates. This is a pretty general question, but does anyone have advice on what industries might be hiring, either in the area I specified or just entry level Mech Es in general?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Lots of industries are hiring and thats probably not a particularly helpful question to ask.

I have seen quite a few jobs for Mech Es come across my RSS feeds here in Orlando in the last few days, a few entry level. Hit up craigslist, http://www.indeed.com/ and LinkedIn and get to writing emails and cover letters.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SkynetSacrifice posted:

I am a sophomore in Mechanical Engineering at a smaller Midwestern university to give you a little bit of background information. I have a dilemma with deciding what I should do with internships this summer. I have two possibilities on the table as of right now being a position with Peabody Energy and a position with the NGA (National Geospatial Agency). The problems associated with both are that Peabody is offering me 18.40/hour, 550/month for rent, and initial travel expenses (all fantastic), but my location would be in deep southern Illinois where I know absolutely no one. The NGA is offering me less money per hour and no money towards rent, but it offers me a position in St. Louis (near family and friends) and a Top Secret Security clearance. So my main questions are: has anyone interned for either of the two companies, what is it like working in a government intelligence agency, how valuable is a top secret security clearance, and what is everyone's personal opinions on what they would do in my circumstance? Thank you for any and all advice.

If I recall correctly, getting a Top Secret clearance is very expensive and time consuming, and if you have a firm willing to pay the costs to get you one then that's worth far more than simply 500/month in rent.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

SkynetSacrifice posted:

:words:

Take the internship with the clearance. You may not make as much this summer, but it will pay off significantly when you graduate.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SkynetSacrifice posted:

No contest, take the NGA job, get the TS/SCI clearance and enjoy living real-life Dilbert. Hopefully you'll learn some cool stuff and build the foundation of your professional network.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SkynetSacrifice
Feb 20, 2011
I'm still waiting on my confirmation on the NGA, and the worst possible scenario is a fall back to Peabody (which as a sophomore isn't a bad gig). Thank all of you for your advice and support. SA never seems to let me down on any account.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
Continuing on the grad school questions - how hard is it to get money for an MS in engineering (not paid by your company)? Some of the schools I've looked at explicitly say that there's very little available for MS. I'd like to be doing some research or at least TAing if I go back to school.

Log082 posted:

I graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering last May, and I've been having trouble finding an engineering job. My work experience is mostly in the materials field; I had a research position with a campus lab where I worked on metal and ceramic properties at high strain rates. This is a pretty general question, but does anyone have advice on what industries might be hiring, either in the area I specified or just entry level Mech Es in general?
For mechanical engineering, pretty much every industry is doing some hiring. I've heard there's not much out there for materials engineering right now though, particularly if you're a fresh grad with presumably not many skills. I

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010
I haven't gotten any support in the second year of my MS, just the first year--university mandated TAships. Hoping to get some grant money next semester.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

SkynetSacrifice posted:

I started with a company that works closely with the NGA and some of its sister agencies in DC a few months ago and I'd definitely recommend it. A TS clearance opens a lot of doors with government and defense jobs and would definitely make it much easier to get job offers once you graduate. While its unlikely that they would have you doing any 'classical' ME stuff, there are opportunities for cool hands-on work in mission support and operations where you get to run and maintain expensive classified hardware. There's also a strong chance for opportunities to travel abroad if you end up working there after graduation - I've already been on one foreign site visit after three months on the job, and a guy who's been here only two years out of undergrad is already a lead engineering on a number of projects and has been overseas half-a-dozen times. Just get used to not being able to bring cell phones, mp3 players or any other electronic device into work with you.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

T.H.E. Rock posted:

Continuing on the grad school questions - how hard is it to get money for an MS in engineering (not paid by your company)? Some of the schools I've looked at explicitly say that there's very little available for MS. I'd like to be doing some research or at least TAing if I go back to school.

It depends on the school. The better the school/professor is, the more likely they have research money, so the more research assistantships will be floating around. Also depends on the budget they have for T.A.s (again, bigger/research schools probably have more T.A.s), and just how that particular department works--some professors like to hire master's students, some don't.

generally the priority for funding is Ph.Ds and first years (since they need to put together a competitive financial aid package) but if there's a bigger pool of money more people can swim in it. some (rich) schools do offer 2-year packages, and some schools don't offer a guarantee but can say with some level of certaintity that you will or won't get funding

If you're talking to faculty, it's worth asking about, they will have an idea. Making sure they know that finances are important to you can work in your favor too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Virginia Tech always tries to get funding for its engineering grad students. All their intro presentations for new students have a big section on how important it is to find an adviser asap. I lucked out and had one lined up with a GRA position before graduating with my BS. The bigger schools make it easier due to the larger amount of classes that need TAs and professors who need GRAs.

If you're still feeling out schools, you can probably email any potential advisers to see if they have funding for you. They'll be pretty honest about whats available.