Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
300K is a poo poo reset.

Even X-23, who I will stand by as a bad character, has resets at roughly 700K. Dormammu can just jab after 700K. Thor can superjump after even more than that.

If you do 900K damage to somebody, that can kill or threaten them. 300K is totally unthreatening and if the opponent guesses right/mashes Haggar, Frank, Akuma, Doom, Dog, or Nick (yeah, whoops) then they have escaped without taking substantial damage. A character who has taken 900K is at risk of dying to random poo poo and weird confirms. A character who has taken 300K is at risk of dying to a specific ground-to-ground BnB that maximizes damage.

The reason why Wesker can get away with doing resets before his combos have done substantial amounts of damage is because his resets are more than just a single 50/50. Wesker traps you with an invincible assist, command throw (no teching), guaranteed crossups, airdash counter, and a high/low on top of all of it. The chance of properly guessing your way through a Viscant reset is roughly 1/16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
One time I was getting bodied by a guy and I reset the console, does that count

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

You can't reset 360s so you must be playing a PS3 and therefore already automatically lost

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Oh poo poo, this isn't the SNES Street Fighter II Turbo thread? :eek:

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Fereydun posted:

You can't reset 360s so you must be playing a PS3 and therefore already automatically lost

Ahh suddenly that Desk video with the Skrull combo at 50% speed makes sense. He was playing on PS3.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUj_2zJcyps

I weep that I accidentally left my Umvc3 with family over turkey weekend.

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

Fereydun posted:

It probably helps that Haggar and Nemesis have inescapable (if you don't have an airdash) resets..

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Hey has anyone here played at Arcade UFO's ranbats in Austin? I want to know if their setup is on the 360 so I can use my stick.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

The KoRn Identity posted:

lol

What, they both do. I don't know about Nemesis's resets, but with Haggar's reset loop your character needs to have an 8-way airdash so they can dash up and even then you have to time it just right.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

purkey posted:

Hey has anyone here played at Arcade UFO's ranbats in Austin? I want to know if their setup is on the 360 so I can use my stick.

They run on PS3s. The cabs have sticks, though, so you don't really need to bring yours unless you just need it.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

They run on PS3s. The cabs have sticks, though, so you don't really need to bring yours unless you just need it.

Cool, thanks man

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Wozbo posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUj_2zJcyps

I weep that I accidentally left my Umvc3 with family over turkey weekend.

At ten seconds he just floats up to Ryu like a boss. I love Strange.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

purkey posted:

They got PS3s, but you really don't need to worry about bringing your own stick, they have them already.

Edit: beaten

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
I'm glad I waited to buy the guide until a couple weeks after it came out so I avoided the hassle and wondering when it would be in stock. Bought it last night on Amazon and it already shipped this morning and should be here on Saturday. Hopefully now I can get some better technique instead of just hoping to go against someone who sucks.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Has anyone found a use for C.Viper's Optic Blast in a combo...? combo starter...? ender...? anything really..

It seems pretty useless at this point...

Nope I swear I have been full screen super punished on block as well, move is rear end with the right assist yes you can start a combo off it OR you can be like a tad closer and seismo.

W/e I'm having too much fun with Strider/Virgil/Strange right now. The craziest part is this team works well in any order and still has great synergy.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
God, I'm so bad at this on a fundamental level. I just end up blocking till I make a mistake and get comboed, repeat till death. Only person I could beat was someone who put Phoenix on point and spammed fireballs with Amaterasu and even that was giving me trouble. I just get hit by poo poo over and over. Anyone on 360 wanna help me not be TERRIBLE some time?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So remember that super practical MODOK only corner combo I came up with in Vanilla? I think I found a combo that's almost as practical for Ultimate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsc0ut_vAo

e: Full disclosure - the original idea came from Spooky. But I still like the result :colbert:

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 1, 2011

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

purkey posted:

I know everyone's already answered but the ranbats are also over. Any Austin goons want to get together at UFO or anywhere and play sometime?

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Rokstar, you're in San Diego, right? I'd love to see you rock that combo at the tournament Box Arena is holding on Saturday.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Duck and burger posted:

God, I'm so bad at this on a fundamental level. I just end up blocking till I make a mistake and get comboed, repeat till death. Only person I could beat was someone who put Phoenix on point and spammed fireballs with Amaterasu and even that was giving me trouble. I just get hit by poo poo over and over. Anyone on 360 wanna help me not be TERRIBLE some time?

I too am quite terrible, I'd love to have some terribly terrible matches with you sometime. Gamertag is MundaneLlama

That goes for anyone else as well. No mic at the moment but I'm hoping to get a new one soon.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ImperialGuard posted:

Rokstar, you're in San Diego, right? I'd love to see you rock that combo at the tournament Box Arena is holding on Saturday.
There's a Box Arena tournament this weekend??

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Whoever is on the mic right now, they need to keep him there.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
This is easily the best commentary the west coast has had since Dogface.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah whoever the gently caress this guy is, he rules.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Which stream is this, WNF? I only ask because I haven't been able to connect to the Offcast stream tonight for some reason. That would be why then. :v:

Don't know why I thought it was on Offcast.

Who is this guy? He's hilarious.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 1, 2011

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Cuchulain posted:

Which stream is this, WNF? I only ask because I haven't been able to connect to the Offcast stream tonight for some reason.

WNF is on level up.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

If the streamchat is to be believed, the commentator in question is Steve Scott, a Tekken player from St. Louis.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Reminds me of M.C. Chris. This guy is great.

EDIT: Ok, this guy officially rules. If he's on every WNF, I'm going to subscribe.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 1, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I love this poo poo. I love how upwards shinkuu hadouken is the bat signal. Also "girlfriend ridin' the gun!" :cool:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Steve is loving great. Ultradavid looked so put out by having someone funny next to him. James Chen and Steve are great together. They're quoting Rush Hour. It's so beautiful.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 1, 2011

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is the guide for this game worth picking up if I don't plan on investing a whole bunch of time in this game? Does it have lots of character and stage art sprinkled around, or did they go the "pages upon pages of tables with frame data" approach?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Who would be a good partner for Dormammu/Doom? Strider? Vergil? I really like Dorm and Doom, but I'm still on the fence about Phoenix Wright. He's a lot of fun, but I feel like he costs me more matches than he wins.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Vergil/Dorm/Doom would probably be the team I would run if I had this game. Doom beam assist and Dorm black hole gives plenty of mixup and combo extension opportunities for Vergil, while both being threatening potential anchors. The only problem is that Vergil eats up a lot of meter, and that could hamper Dorm and Doom. That said if you're using your meters effectively I don't think it'll be much of a problem.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

iolo_the_bard posted:

Is the guide for this game worth picking up if I don't plan on investing a whole bunch of time in this game? Does it have lots of character and stage art sprinkled around, or did they go the "pages upon pages of tables with frame data" approach?
It's a guide, not an artbook. It gives advice at all levels of play, from basic strategy to in-depth stuff.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

PonchAxis posted:

I know everyone's already answered but the ranbats are also over. Any Austin goons want to get together at UFO or anywhere and play sometime?

Now that ranbats are over, I usually go down there Sunday night with a group of friends. Though, all my friends are primarily Blaz players and I don't touch that at all.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iolo_the_bard posted:

The second one.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Man, check out the crazy number of Austin folks. I might be able to make Sunday. What timish? I'm not very good, and I'll be even worse on a stick, but still sounds like fun.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I lived two blocks from Arcade UFO. I moved out of state before it opened. :negative:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

iolo_the_bard posted:

The guide is really the best guide to fighting games I've ever seen. Hard data on every move combined with practical tips combined with advanced tactics. The "Battle Strategy" page for every character is basically a 1-2 page long thesis about how to play said character.

It's really worth it for every level of play.

VVVV It's the best when both of you have the same number of winstreaks and same rank, so there's no question of whether it's a fluke. God, I miss the days when I was good enough at MvC3 to hit double-digit win streaks.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
The most satisfying part about this game is beating a guy on ranked who had a really high winstreak. :hehe:

• Locked thread