Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

closeted republican posted:

Got a question for you guys: Are you guys interested in me making a post or thread about all of the Unreal and Unreal Tournament betas out there? There's been quite a few Unreal-related leaks this months, and I think it'd be fun to tell goons about all of the leaked stuff out there, including things like a 1996-era design document for Unreal 1, a recently leaked Unreal Tournament 2003 beta made in October 2001, the Unreal 1995 beta and a "new" Unreal Tournament 3 beta made in late 2004.

There's also a few Unreal 1 betas floating out there that haven't been discovered yet that were leaked by a warez group. I think it'd be neat to see if a few goons that were doing things like warez back in the 90s know about these unseen betas and help find them.

I think a thread would do better than a post here because it covers stuff that this thread doesn't, but I'm not sure how much interest an actual thread would get.

EDIT: Hell, I could probably do a good post here just on Unreal 1, and leave the Unreal Tournament stuff for another day/thread.

I'm interested in this.
(Also I think this thread is ok for the UT2003 and UT3 betas)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

LvK posted:

I'm away from my usual machine. Has anybody tried brutal doom lite with 10x and russian overkill yet?

I haven't been able to get Russian Overkill to work with anything else. Then again the only way I can find to launch it is dragging it onto gzdoom.exe

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, Russian Overkill seems to use some... interesting coding that conflicts with everything :(

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Same results for me. RO and BDL just don't like each other.

Side note, Barrels of Fun with RO and 10x is impossible. Not in the sense that you have to be Godlike when playing, you can not complete it. The first teleporter you step into takes you to the room filled with Knights, Chaingunners and barrels. You can't clip thru barrels, so you have to move around them. Unfortunately, with the room packed, someone's setting off some barrels, and you're dead before you get 5 feet. The only way to continue is to use the Yamato Quantum jump.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

That Ignorant Sap posted:

The only way to continue is to use the Yamato Quantum jump.

Chug a few bottles of vodka and you will have enough life to survive anything, even setting off a nuke at your feet.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Yamato's primary fire is lethal as gently caress, especially if you fire it off and have no way to escape the massive explosion.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a new nine-level mod called The Phobos Directive. It seems to be causing roughly the same amount of idiotic, embarassing arguments as KDIZD and Stronghold did, and you guys seemed to dig those, so maybe you'll like this. Maybe. I'm not a mindreader for crying out loud.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

doom 1 is dark lol

edit: That screenshot makes the wad look darker than it actually is. Oops.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 28, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

Here's a new nine-level mod called The Phobos Directive. It seems to be causing roughly the same amount of idiotic, embarassing arguments as KDIZD and Stronghold did, and you guys seemed to dig those, so maybe you'll like this. Maybe. I'm not a mindreader for crying out loud.

Sloped surfaces? Detail when it's not 100% required for gameplay purposes!? Yeah, I can see how this would piss off some of the old curmudgeons.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
What's really worth getting upset over is that horrible blue-yellow gradient in the title font.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.
I tried this, and while they didn't go too wild with the details in the map, they did with 3D floors, which cause my framerate to drop to 10 in certain rooms (where there's some fighting obviously). You can find some "upgrades" for the Doom weapons scattered through the levels, which add a secondary fire to the upgraded weapon, and there's a few new monsters, usually stronger versions than the original monsters. You don't see them often, I think they spices things up a bit.

Since I couldn't go past certain parts with the huge framerate drops, I didn't bother finishing it, but I'm sure the abundance of 3D floors will cause some rage on the zdoom forums.

Note that this is a Hub system wad, where you can go to any map you want after having cleared e1m1. Some maps requires keys/radiations suits to complete them, but you're not stuck in a fixed order.
There's also a big use of Half-Life sounds for some reason (doors, ambient sounds, etc).

Vaos fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 28, 2011

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm stuck in Hexen II.

First of all, I can't seem to find any of the things that open stuff like the mill and that one spell book. And then there's this:

How do I get on to that ledge? I've tried running and jumping and it wouldn't work.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Zeether posted:

I'm stuck in Hexen II.

First of all, I can't seem to find any of the things that open stuff like the mill and that one spell book. And then there's this:

How do I get on to that ledge? I've tried running and jumping and it wouldn't work.

It does work, I've run and jump to that ledge numerous times. Aim for the left side, I guess--I've never had trouble getting up there. You don't need to, though, there's just an item or two.

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."

Kakumei posted:

It does work, I've run and jump to that ledge numerous times. Aim for the left side, I guess--I've never had trouble getting up there. You don't need to, though, there's just an item or two.

^

What he said, except I believe you have to do a running jump from while standing on top that bush. Aim for the far left where the ledge is lower.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

SnipeBob posted:

^

What he said, except I believe you have to do a running jump from while standing on top that bush. Aim for the far left where the ledge is lower.
I accidentally destroyed the bush. Guess I'm going to have to start the game again if I want to get there.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
For the past several months I've been working to to create all new official versions of Marathon, Marathon 2: Durandal and Marathon Infinity with the Aleph One team and Bungie.

Tomorrow we are releasing the updated versions of the games with Aleph One 1.0.

Myself and Hamish (the guy who runs the Marathon Story Page) went through all of the M1A1 scenario and original Marathon to make M1A1 match Marathon. In all in all we probably made over 500 changes.

In addition we release Marathon 2 with the XBLA HD graphics, and officially blessed fan high resolution textures for Marathon 1 and Infinity.

We've also updated Aleph One to be a better first experience. It defaults to automatic full screen to match your current resolution. It uses a pretty standard WASD + Mouselook defaults. Also, you can download each game with one single link, no more frankensteining together a scenario and game engine.

If you've never played Marathon, or have not played it in a long time, this is probably the best Marathon experience to date.

You can grab it at http://marathon.sourceforge.net/

The press release goes out tomorrow morning, but share this with everyone you know.

Lastly, if there are things about the original Marathon's you cannot stand, this does not change them. The goal of this release is to create the most faithful, yet modernized version of the games to date. So it still has that same old floaty weird physics. But with a modern HUD and control setup.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

hippieman posted:

We've also updated Aleph One to be a better first experience. It defaults to automatic full screen to match your current resolution. It uses a pretty standard WASD + Mouselook defaults. Also, you can download each game with one single link, no more frankensteining together a scenario and game engine.

That's awesome! It always bugged me that the Aleph One team never put any time into making the whole process more inviting to newcomers.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Fantastic stuff, Hippieman!

In other good news, Quake has been officially unbanned in Germany on the same "pretty much an antique" proviso as Doom a while back.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

hippieman posted:

For the past several months I've been working to to create all new official versions of Marathon, Marathon 2: Durandal and Marathon Infinity with the Aleph One team and Bungie.

Well that's a nice surprise! What got into you? :)

I've been thinking about getting Aleph One set up on my current gaming system so now is probably a good time. I've used it before to play partway through 1 & 2, but haven't touched Infinity yet.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

Johnny Law posted:

Well that's a nice surprise! What got into you? :)

I've been thinking about getting Aleph One set up on my current gaming system so now is probably a good time. I've used it before to play partway through 1 & 2, but haven't touched Infinity yet.

Check out Marathon 1 again. There were a lot of things that were not correct in it. Some things minor like missing aliens. But some major problems like incorrect settings on monsters and weapons.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

hippieman posted:

Tomorrow we are releasing the updated versions of the games with Aleph One 1.0.

Myself and Hamish (the guy who runs the Marathon Story Page) went through all of the M1A1 scenario and original Marathon to make M1A1 match Marathon. In all in all we probably made over 500 changes.

In addition we release Marathon 2 with the XBLA HD graphics, and officially blessed fan high resolution textures for Marathon 1 and Infinity.

If you've never played Marathon, or have not played it in a long time, this is probably the best Marathon experience to date.

You can grab it at http://marathon.sourceforge.net/

The press release goes out tomorrow morning, but share this with everyone you know.

Lastly, if there are things about the original Marathon's you cannot stand, this does not change them. The goal of this release is to create the most faithful, yet modernized version of the games to date. So it still has that same old floaty weird physics. But with a modern HUD and control setup.

Oh man I'm stoked about this! I still really like Marathon 2. I think it holds up. I dunno if it still exists but a few years ago there was this community on AIM(they just hung around in a chatroom) that used to play multiplayer Marathon through Aleph One. It was badass.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

hippieman posted:

Marathon

This is great, thanks!

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

This is wonderful. It never seemed fair that while a dozen different Doom and Quake sourceports are still being actively developed poor old Aleph One just kind of limped along.

Did they ever implement a way to access the options menu ingame? It's a bit of a pain to start a new game every time you tweak settings.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
hippieman that's pretty drat cool.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Awesome stuff hippieman. I'll be sure to check it out because while I enjoyed Marathon, playing it with just the keyboard was a little cumbersome.

Pheener
Jun 7, 2003

Extraordinary!
Played up to "The Rose" this morning and had quite a fun time. While I personally wish someone could steer Aleph One towards real 3d support rather than fixing everything AROUND the engine, it's nice to see love go towards the original. There's a fluidity, now, that wasn't there in M1A1, and frankly, it's nice not having to meander through that bullshit 30 seconds of Pathways into Darkness. The main menu also feels very professional now.

All in all, I'm digging it, though I wish the "fog" didn't still default to green in so many levels.

Oh, also, the mouse feels better, but still not great. I think that's just Aleph One in general.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

hippieman posted:

That is pretty sweet.

How do the XBLA HD graphics compare to the fan-made high-res textures?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I just want to give a big round of applause to Hippieman and all else involved in the official Aleph One trilogy relaunch. I did a writeup on DIYGamer about it - here's hoping plenty of people check it out.

Really nice to see all the enhancements of the XBLA port making it into the PC build. Hopefully a few more people will appreciate it now.

Heh, I remember people actually calling for Marathon 2 to be pulled from XBLA, back when Microsoft were considering that whole 'underperforming games will be taken off the store to make more space' policy. Bunch of tossers.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Heh, I remember people actually calling for Marathon 2 to be pulled from XBLA, back when Microsoft were considering that whole 'underperforming games will be taken off the store to make more space' policy. Bunch of tossers.

The fact that this even came up makes my mind boggle. Why do indie developers even do releases on XBLA? The whole platform seems, at best, incompetently managed, and at worst, actively malevolent towards developers.

More space???

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

ToxicFrog posted:

That is pretty sweet.

How do the XBLA HD graphics compare to the fan-made high-res textures?

In some ways I think they are better and in other ways not as good.

We were constrained for file size, so we had to cut some HD stuff down to less than awesome size. So 512X512 textures for walls. The fan stuff can go bigger.

But we have more detail in things like the terminals. That said the fan stuff is made by extremely talented people, and that's why we and Bungie chose the content.

As for Marathon XBLA being in danger of being pulled, that was never the case. The game fits nicely in the middle of the pack for performance. I still get sales numbers from MS. Every day we sell between 50 and 100 copies.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Vertigus posted:

More space???

Back in the days of olde, the store interface was so incredibly badly designed that you basically had to sort through all the games in there to get to what you wanted, starting with the letter A, so once it got a bit cluttered it was a nightmare to get through.

In typical Microsoft fashion, rather than admit that the store is hideously badly designed, their initial plan was just to pull games that weren't selling or well-reviewed enough. Fortunately they decided against this after everyone with a brain ever told them that it was really stupid.

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!
Whoa whoa. I do not remember Blood being so hard. I started the first episode on the default difficulty and didn't even make it past the cemetery. As soon as I opened the gate the first cultist threw dynamite in my face and the second one finished the job. Still, the game is as fun as it was back in the day. Really creative (?) weapons and Caleb's quips are often genuinely funny. Definitely my favorite Build game!

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Shadowborn posted:

Whoa whoa. I do not remember Blood being so hard. I started the first episode on the default difficulty and didn't even make it past the cemetery. As soon as I opened the gate the first cultist threw dynamite in my face and the second one finished the job. Still, the game is as fun as it was back in the day. Really creative (?) weapons and Caleb's quips are often genuinely funny. Definitely my favorite Build game!
Yeah Blood is hard as nails, I remember that clearly. That game had such character, not something I think I could say about many modern games. I am angry about the modern warfares

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It helps if you're super fast and play run n' gun compared to the modern way of slowly peaking around corners and such. Yeah it can get you into trouble sometimes but that's also the only way of stopping shotgun and Tommy gun cultists from tearing your rear end up.

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!

Yodzilla posted:

It helps if you're super fast and play run n' gun compared to the modern way of slowly peaking around corners and such. Yeah it can get you into trouble sometimes but that's also the only way of stopping shotgun and Tommy gun cultists from tearing your rear end up.

Tried that tactic, didn't work. I tried luring them out one by one, which worked a little bit better. Making them come up the stairs seems pretty effective.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Some of you may have already seen this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/01/air-buccaneers-hd-mystery-classic-server-up/

No better time to play Air Buccaneers than now. And by now I mean soon. By soon I mean this weekend on Sunday @ 4pm EST.

Here is everything you'll need to play, aside from Unreal Tournament 2004 itself. It's a team game, so we'll be using teamspeak as well. Event is planned to begin at 4pm EST on Sunday December 4th. I'll post the TS server info at that time.

If you haven't played Air Buccaneers before, here's what you can expect to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VGBBgLzjJw&t=17s

treat fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 2, 2011

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Shadowborn posted:

The answer to all problems in Blood is more dynamite:

Bounce the alt-fire dynamite around likely-looking corners to flush them out, then use further dynamite to deal with big groups (or the flare gun's alt fire).

Oh, and the Deathwish mod is great fun. Especially the creepy starting levels of episode 3.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.
What does it mean if, when I run the Death Wish shortcut, DOSBox starts and then disappears and nothing happens? Usually I can play Blood using DOSBox so I don't get it. It's in C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\One Unit Whole Blood

I want to play the new Blood :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Did you follow the configuration instructions for GOG in the Readme? It sounds like maybe there's a patch that's not matching up somewhere. Also I've seen that happen if you have the wrong path for bmouse so check that too if you're using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Go to the shortcut's properties, and remove the '-c "exit"' at the end of the Target field.

( This bit: "C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\One Unit Whole Blood\DOSBOX\dosbox.exe" -conf dosboxBloodDW.conf -noconsole -c "exit" )

This will stop Dosbox from auto-closing and you should at least be able to see what went wrong.