Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Action Jacktion posted:

Deepwater Black by Ken Catran.

Fun fact: Ken Catran wrote this, got lovely at the lack of credit/consideration for the excessive use in advertising it's had then quit writing for TV>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man
I'm trying to remember the name of a scifi book where:

- humans have been colonizing the solar system
- they've met these aliens that look like displacer beasts, except the tentacles come out of their mouths instead of their backs
- the entire UK has moved into into a giant spaceship
- a bunch of human spaceships get invited back to these aliens' homeworld
- their ships are all ceramic because the FTL drive destabilizes metal

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Keep having this book pop in my head when I'm at work

It's a slice of life book that takes place in the late 1800s early 1900s about a farm family, the main character is a girl and each chapter may be a separate story of her life, I specifically remember 3 specific stories, in one she is mad at her brother for some reason and stuffs his pillow with ragweed and then feels bad when he has a severe allergic reaction. Second one she finds a doll in a ditch and when they set it on the stove to dry while there eating it starts making noise and moving, turns out it was full of corn which starts popping, and the last I can remember is they buy a trunk or crate from some gypsies without knowing what was in it. I think it turned out to be full of bent nails or other scrap metal and I learned the term pig in a poke from the story.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Here's a YA book I read years ago, and have never been able to find since.

All I can remember is that an ordinary kid went to some kind of bizarre dimension where no one was allowed to sleep, ever. And he was able to fake it for a while, but then he got caught napping and was put in some kind of zoo. And now it gets strange, because I seem to remember that there was some kind of bird who was notable because his name rhymed with "orange" (it was actually pointed out in the text), like "Luornge" or something. But maybe that last part was from a different book? :confused:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm looking for two books.

I've been trying to find one for 17 years. The main character was a naval officer, the events happened during the early part of the War in the Pacific. I believe he was having an affair with a Dutch woman and that part of the action dealt with the fall of the Dutch East Indies. I also think there was something about the ABDA forces and their defeat.

The other book was about a queen or some sort of female royal lady in a state in Central Asia in the time after the death of Alexander the Great. I remember that the Amu and Syr Darya rivers were referred to as the Oxus and Jaxartes.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
http://sf-encyclopedia.com/
This came online today, it should answer about 50% of the requests in this thread :)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There was this short story by (I think) a sci-fi author, about how God intended for the world to end after 6000 years or whatever, and so he commanded Gabriel (or another angel) to sound the horn to start the Apocalypse.

However, the angel managed to convince God that since all the people don't share the same calendar, it's not fair to end the world at a seemingly arbitrary point. God then agrees, and says that the world will end 6000/whatever years after the entire planet has a common calendar. Then there's an epilogue about how people set a common calendar from the first atomic detonation or the first world government or something like those lines.

Criander
Nov 2, 2011
I think that's The Last Trump, by Asimov.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
I had to read this book in a college lit class in 1997. The basic premise is that a girl moved from the U.S. to Spain to learn flamenco guitar from some gypsies.

Her brother died from a nitrous(?) overdose. Also, at some point she hosed up her fingers because she accidentally stuck them in a fan.

This has been bugging me for years.

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Barnum posted:

I had to read this book in a college lit class in 1997. The basic premise is that a girl moved from the U.S. to Spain to learn flamenco guitar from some gypsies.

Her brother died from a nitrous(?) overdose. Also, at some point she hosed up her fingers because she accidentally stuck them in a fan.

This has been bugging me for years.

This might be Returning to A by Dorien Ross.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

tabris posted:

This might be Returning to A by Dorien Ross.

Wow. That's definitely it. Thank you so much!

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki
Ok, so I would really like to make my wife's Christmas great. She has told me a ton of times about a book she had as a child, that she doesn't remember much about save for the plot was about household objects (utensils, furniture, etc) that would turn into birds at night. Please help! Thank you!!

ACauseToLead
Apr 7, 2009
A book called something like "One Day I Will Take Over the World", from the point of view of a super villain with self-esteem issues.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

ACauseToLead posted:

A book called something like "One Day I Will Take Over the World", from the point of view of a super villain with self-esteem issues.

Soon I Will Be Invincible?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Late 19th, early 20th century horror. Starts with a dude talking to a girl in his garden, he begins telling her a tale about the distant future where the sun has gone out and giant monsters are slowly approaching the last bastion of humanity.
Guy gets exiled or goes exploring outside the arcology, has a wrist-mounted laser whip or something.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dead Alice posted:

Late 19th, early 20th century horror. Starts with a dude talking to a girl in his garden, he begins telling her a tale about the distant future where the sun has gone out and giant monsters are slowly approaching the last bastion of humanity.
Guy gets exiled or goes exploring outside the arcology, has a wrist-mounted laser whip or something.
The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson. Skip the first chapter unless you like suffocating in some of the ghastliest glurge ever committed to paper.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson. Skip the first chapter unless you like suffocating in some of the ghastliest glurge ever committed to paper.

Ahah thanks, I knew it was something like Night/Dark Land/Place/World/[location].

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm assuming skipping the first chapter won't harm the story? I've tried a few different times to start it but couldn't get into it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

calandryll posted:

I'm assuming skipping the first chapter won't harm the story? I've tried a few different times to start it but couldn't get into it.
It won't - the only thing it really does is act as a launch point (a lot of writers back then weren't comfortable writing out-and-out fantasy without some kind of contemporary anchor point) and put off a lot of people who'd probably enjoy the book once it gets to the Last Redoubt and the monsters.

Synopsis of chapter 1: [Contemporary-ish] man meets woman, they find they both have visions of the same dream lands and fall in love, he saves her from muggers, she saves him from vicious dog, bla bla they marry, she dies in childbirth. All in the syrupiest of Victorian prose.

Chapter 2 begins with the narrator/hero explaining that since this his visions have become Of The Far Future and far more real; then he kicks off with the story proper. It's a much better starting point. The only thing that the first chapter adds is extra confirmation that the hero and his true love actually have been sort of spiritually bound throughout the millennia, and it's not worth the wading and gagging it takes to get through.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 16, 2011

Tuesdays
Dec 11, 2011
Hey!
I'm looking for a sci-fi short story I've read some time ago. It's about these people who woke up in limbo after their train derailed. One by one they wake up and find that the other passengers are in a deep sleep. Later, after the train stops at a small station, the guys debate whether they should return on the train or stay at the station, over a game of cards. The ones that stay wake up later from a coma, find out what really happened and that the ones that left with the train are now dead. The main character then finds a playing card in one of his coat's pocket.

optimaltable
Oct 30, 2011
I am looking for a weird sci-fi time travel book I read as a teen.

In it a young man receives a time machine (possibly a belt?) from a deceased relative. At one point he lives in a house with hundreds of other versions of himself, at another point he screws up the timeline so much that he manages to meet and fall in love with a female version of himself. Thanks!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

optimaltable posted:

I am looking for a weird sci-fi time travel book I read as a teen.

In it a young man receives a time machine (possibly a belt?) from a deceased relative. At one point he lives in a house with hundreds of other versions of himself, at another point he screws up the timeline so much that he manages to meet and fall in love with a female version of himself. Thanks!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Folded_Himself

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

It's probably that one, but there's also All You Zombies by Heinlein.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Piell posted:

It's probably that one, but there's also All You Zombies by Heinlein.
That doesn't have the hundreds-of-himself thing, and it's a short story rather than a book though. Folded fits too well.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

WastedJoker posted:

Hey guys,

Pulling my hair out here. I've recently finished A Dance of Dragons and am looking for a new set of books to start reading. I remember starting to read an actual paper book before I bought my Kindle and never finished it but now I want to read it again and can't remember the author or title :( I gave all my real books to charity when I got my Kindle.

I remember parts of the storyline though.

The bit I read was about a thief/assassin-type who had the skill of avoiding most demons which appear during the night on his world. However there is one series of demons (somethign to do with goats, if memory serves) that are specifically chasing him for a debt owed.

He kills some important people/steals an important object which sets him on a path to a library where he learns about a place/object which can free him from his obligation to the goat(?) demons.

That's about all I can remember :(

I had thought it was the Demon Trilogy by Peter Brett but it isn't :(

It's not much to go on but I'm hoping some of you can help!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

WastedJoker posted:

'Fraid I can't help you, but your description made me think of a series I read and quite enjoyed. The story follows a slave who is the only one who can help the ruling family's scion with his demon-haunted dreams. The slave is a demon killer in his dreams, which is how you fight demons in this world.

The prince he's helping starts off a terrible person but gradually learns humility and humanity thanks to the slave. In the end he leads a rebellion against his despotic father. (He might also be turned into a tiger at one point?) The slave is at first forced to help him, but they end up working together to save the slave's people.

The books had a sort of Eastern-flavoured setting, while the people that the slave was from were characterised as humble shepherd types, very lowly and not warrior-like at all. The series was written by a female author, I think.

Help!

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was directed here from the stupid questions megathread regarding my mystery young adult sci-fi novel:

I'm seeking the title of a science fiction book I read when I was in middle school. Having trouble using amazon and google since the keywords I remember are not incorporated in any way in the title.

This is probably a stretch to find the title now, but this is the general idea: The main character was a young boy named Doddy (maybe Dody?). He and his family, and possibly many others, were making a long trip across space and were put into suspended animation. Doddy's machine fails and he wakes up early, and the ship's computer refused to put him under again or wake up his family. So, by the time their ship reaches the destination, he's a middle-aged man or something. At that point, the family comes across some weird kids that don't seem right somehow. All I remember after that point is that Doddy and his siblings are taken aside by the weird kids who try to make copies of them. I'm pretty sure they're referred to as "ersatz children" and after a copy is made, nothing is left of the original but the teeth.

Ring any bells?

dustbin fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 22, 2011

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

dustbin posted:

This is probably a stretch to find the title now, but this is the general idea: The main character was a young boy named Doddy (maybe Dody?). He and his family, and possibly many others, were making a long trip across space and were put into suspended animation. Doddy's machine fails and he wakes up early, and the ship's computer refused to put him under again or wake up his family. So, by the time their ship reaches the destination, he's a middle-aged man or something. At that point, the family comes across some weird kids that don't seem right somehow. All I remember after that point is that Doddy and his siblings are taken aside by the weird kids who try to make copies of them. I'm pretty sure they're referred to as "ersatz children" and after a copy is made, nothing is left of the original but the teeth.

Sleepers, Wake by Paul Samuel Jacobs.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thank you!! Did you know exactly what I was talking about or better searching?

mystes
May 31, 2006

dustbin posted:

Thank you!! Did you know exactly what I was talking about or better searching?
Shadok may well have just known it, but this book did come up two pages ago.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Please help.

A book I read 7-10 years ago just popped into my head. I read it a couple of times but only the vaguest details remain with me.

It had mermaids in it. Or at least, mermaid-like creatures. Selkies, maybe. The cover I remember quite well - it was white, and featured a blue-haired woman, possibly a mermaid, holding up some kind of mirror or magical relic type thing that proved to be central to the story in some way. The protagonist was a teenager in a magic school. It was, obviously, a young adult kind of thing. I think the title had something to do with the magical relic thing, and it was probably the first in a series?

This is going to drive me crazy. :(

e: Oh, and another one for you guys. Another YA thing from 6-10 years ago. Teenage girl gets captured by demon man and taken to his castle. He's the typical beautiful demon guy, only he can't heal his wounds, and at one point he gets lacerations right through his cheek that never heal. He has dogs guarding the castle steps. In the garden there's a cave, in which there's a river I think and a man lives there, he helps the protagonist. There's something about apples with this guy.

There's also a sideplot about a prince and his mother travelling with a group of merchants through a desert to find somethingorother, an oasis maybe? Anyway the mother (the queen?) gets killed, possibly poisoned. I think the demon guy dies in the end in a similar manner, the teenage girl has to kill him or something? There's a love plot, a creepy stockholm syndrome thing.

Been driving me batty for years, any help would be appreciated :)

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 22, 2011

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

eating only apples posted:

Please help.

A book I read 7-10 years ago just popped into my head. I read it a couple of times but only the vaguest details remain with me.

It had mermaids in it. Or at least, mermaid-like creatures. Selkies, maybe. The cover I remember quite well - it was white, and featured a blue-haired woman, possibly a mermaid, holding up some kind of mirror or magical relic type thing that proved to be central to the story in some way. The protagonist was a teenager in a magic school. It was, obviously, a young adult kind of thing. I think the title had something to do with the magical relic thing, and it was probably the first in a series?

This is going to drive me crazy. :(
Was it by Jan Siegel?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

eating only apples posted:

e: Oh, and another one for you guys. Another YA thing from 6-10 years ago. Teenage girl gets captured by demon man and taken to his castle. He's the typical beautiful demon guy, only he can't heal his wounds, and at one point he gets lacerations right through his cheek that never heal. He has dogs guarding the castle steps. In the garden there's a cave, in which there's a river I think and a man lives there, he helps the protagonist. There's something about apples with this guy.

There's also a sideplot about a prince and his mother travelling with a group of merchants through a desert to find somethingorother, an oasis maybe? Anyway the mother (the queen?) gets killed, possibly poisoned. I think the demon guy dies in the end in a similar manner, the teenage girl has to kill him or something? There's a love plot, a creepy stockholm syndrome thing.

Been driving me batty for years, any help would be appreciated :)
Some of that sounds like The Darkangel by Meredith Ann Pierce, but that might not be it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Runcible Cat posted:

Was it by Jan Siegel?

Nope. :(

Action Jacktion posted:

Some of that sounds like The Darkangel by Meredith Ann Pierce, but that might not be it.

No, that's it! I must be getting stuff muddled up, but that's definitely the one I was looking for, I remember the necklace thing and the spinning for his wives. And the duarough in the garden! Awesome, thanks :)

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

mystes posted:

C.O.L.A.R.?
Jesus fuckin' Christ, that's it!

I loved loved loved that book as a kid, but I was only allowed to check it out once. The middle school librarian had a stupid policy where you could only check books out of a certain section of the library each time your class came to visit (yes, there were scheduled visits, and that was literally the only time you were allowed in the library). I get the idea -- to get kids reading lots of different books -- but it punished those of us who were avid readers and saw many interesting books we wanted to read.

At any rate, I never got to read it again. Even when I went back in sixth grade, she kept me from checking it out because I'd checked it out previously the year before. I never could find the drat thing anywhere. Ordering a copy now. I'm sure it won't live up to expectations, but I don't care.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Its a fantasy book, probably written for young adults since I read around the age of 10-14 (so at least 5 years ago). The back of the book described it as Dune but with islands instead of planets. The book started with some kid on a tiny and somewhat poor island with a castle, poo poo happens and he goes on a quest. From there I remember there being magic, a submarine, a book burning and it ending really weirdly (but I don't remember how, just that it was hosed up). I am 99% sure its not Earthsea, but I may be confusing some of my memories with it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to remember the name of a book my third grade teacher read to us before Christmas. This was in the mid-80s, but the book was much older. It was bascially the backstory of Santa Claus. It might have been Baum's The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, but I don't remember his being the author, and I think that's something that my teacher would have pointed out and would have stuck with me given how well known his other works are. What are some other children's books in this same vein that it could have been?

OMGLASERPEWPEWPEW
Dec 17, 2005
PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW PEWPEWPEWPEWPEWPEW
There is a sci-fi book that I read long ago about space horses pulling ships around and "jumping" to stars and getting attacked by space sharks who were host to swarms of little space vultures or something that could block the horses vision so it couldn't jump.

I tried to Google space horses and other things like it to no avail.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

WastedJoker posted:

Sounds a little like The Redemption of Althalus, by David Eddings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
I don't know what that book actually is but I am extremely sure that it is not Redemption of Althalus.