Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If it runs well, gets good gas mileage, you're fine. Those don't look great but they look acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Z3n posted:

If it runs well, gets good gas mileage, you're fine. Those don't look great but they look acceptable.

Yay! Thanks for that, I'll rest easier now.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Ghost Cactus posted:

The old ones are all carbon-fouled:

The service manual has a bunch of solutions for why they ended up grungy, but I'm unsure where to start.

Also, I noticed that one of the screws holding the seat-holder bracket and the tank down in the back has chewed up the first 1/4 of the threads into the frame. :saddowns:

Hard to tell from this angle, but they might be a little oil-fouled. Hope not.

If they are just dry/black, then you are running rich. Dunno how many ways to adjust that on your bike, but lean it up a bit.

If they are oil-fouled, run a compression test to see which top-end adventure is in your future.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Tamir Lenk posted:

Hard to tell from this angle, but they might be a little oil-fouled. Hope not.

If they are just dry/black, then you are running rich. Dunno how many ways to adjust that on your bike, but lean it up a bit.

If they are oil-fouled, run a compression test to see which top-end adventure is in your future.

Ah crap, they're oil-fouled too maybe? They're kinda gunky on the threads. I don't want a top-end adventure. :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't see what the big freakout about the dirty spark plug is. Last year I adjusted my mixture for winter riding (richer), then never readjusted it back for summer riding. My plug looked close to that throughout the year, but I never bothered changing it or adjusting back (I lost 5mpg or so during the summer, not a big deal). It ran all year just fine :v:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Ghost Cactus posted:

Ah crap, they're oil-fouled too maybe? They're kinda gunky on the threads. I don't want a top-end adventure. :(

Like I said, the picture angle is hard to read. I cannot see the ceramic bit inside. Reshoot from the top of the plug.

A plug read comes from the ceramic bit where the spark arcs, not the threads. Basically, the results are:

White - too lean
Tan/Grey - good
Black soot - too rich
Black shiny - oil fouled.

Rich/lean can be fixed by adjusting the mixture, cleaning carbs, adjusting valves, etc. You gotta do this stuff periodically anyway. Usually this is not too hard to do, but YMMV.

Oil-fouled generally means that oil is getting past your piston rings or your valves. That's bad. Changing valves, valve oil-seals, pistons and/or piston rings is a lot more work.

By and large you can get to valves before going deeper to get to pistons, so a compression test can help figure out how deep you need to go.

First, check compression for each cylinder with a dry test. If you are oil-fouling a plug, that cylinder will come up low.

Second, do a wet test for each low compression cylinder. Drop a small amount of oil (<1/2 tsp) into the cylinder through the plug hole, and re-test compression. If compression stays the same, then you have valve problems. If compression goes up wet, then you have piston ring problems.

Again, you may not be oil-fouled after all. I can't really read the plug in that picture.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

I don't see what the big freakout about the dirty spark plug is. Last year I adjusted my mixture for winter riding (richer), then never readjusted it back for summer riding. My plug looked close to that throughout the year, but I never bothered changing it or adjusting back (I lost 5mpg or so during the summer, not a big deal). It ran all year just fine :v:

Running rich is not as bad as running lean (which can burn up valves). That said, running too rich, over time, will damage your engine. The excess fuel will wash the oil off your cylinder walls. That is bad.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Seriously, if the bike starts, runs, and goes without hesitation, gets good gas mileage, you are fine. There's no oil fouling on those plugs, you would see it on the tip of the plug if there was.

Most bikes run stupid lean at low RPM (where the EPA tests) and stupid rich at high RPM and will still make it to 100k+. Seriously. Not a big deal. There are no adjustments that you can make with any sort of certainty of getting things closer to ideal without dyno tuning.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Today I hooked up and calibrated my A/F gauge. I'm going to wait until I check my valves and sync my carbs tomorrow before I make any final tuning changes, and I'm still debating on whether or not to get the sensor's bung welded into my exhaust.

It seems like I get an accurate reading if I stick the sensor in about 6 inches, but I think it would get a bit too hot for the wiring in there.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Tamir Lenk posted:

Like I said, the picture angle is hard to read. I cannot see the ceramic bit inside. Reshoot from the top of the plug.

A plug read comes from the ceramic bit where the spark arcs, not the threads. Basically, the results are:

White - too lean
Tan/Grey - good
Black soot - too rich
Black shiny - oil fouled.

Tamir Lenk posted:

Running rich is not as bad as running lean (which can burn up valves). That said, running too rich, over time, will damage your engine. The excess fuel will wash the oil off your cylinder walls. That is bad.

Z3n posted:

Seriously, if the bike starts, runs, and goes without hesitation, gets good gas mileage, you are fine.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Tamir Lenk, the ceramic bit where the spark arcs is sooty, but not shiny. Thank you all for easing my freakout. You guys all rock, and I'm very grateful for your input. I'll ride to work tomorrow happily :)

Here's a picture of F4i guts:

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Cleaned and lubed the chain, first time since I got the bike, I shoulda done this sooner I'm sure. Question: I used some spray on Motul stuff that turned yellow my uncle had, I had no idea how much to use, I didn't cover the entire chain I just sprayed through the links, not so much on the cross bars (idk what they're called, the part the teeth actually grab) Should I put another coat on and cover that poo poo? (I really should have taken a pic but I had to get to work.)

Any good guides on cleaning/lubing chains?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nitramster posted:

Cleaned and lubed the chain, first time since I got the bike, I shoulda done this sooner I'm sure. Question: I used some spray on Motul stuff that turned yellow my uncle had, I had no idea how much to use, I didn't cover the entire chain I just sprayed through the links, not so much on the cross bars (idk what they're called, the part the teeth actually grab) Should I put another coat on and cover that poo poo? (I really should have taken a pic but I had to get to work.)

you can never lube too much or too often. except when you wind up getting it all over your tires

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'm absolutely terrified to clean my chain because it's black and has a lot of grease all over it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ghost Cactus posted:

Honestly, if it's running OK, don't worry about it. Like Z3n says. When you start getting a massive power loss, non-starting or serious running problems, then it's time to worry. If you want a perfect a/f ratio, pick up a power commander and pay someone with skills and a dyno to get it right. For now, make sure you have a nice clean OEM air filter.

Odette, Castrol Chain Cleaner is the answer. It will dissolve anything lube-related. It will cost you :10bux: to clean the chain that way, but no amount of baked-on grunge is able to resist it.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Saga posted:

Honestly, if it's running OK, don't worry about it. Like Z3n says. When you start getting a massive power loss, non-starting or serious running problems, then it's time to worry. If you want a perfect a/f ratio, pick up a power commander and pay someone with skills and a dyno to get it right. For now, make sure you have a nice clean OEM air filter.

Good to know - thank you. I just did the air filter a few weeks ago and it's still clean & happy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nitramster posted:

The most important part is to get between the plates where the o-rings live. Anything else won't hurt, but isn't as vital.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

you can never lube too much or too often. except when you wind up getting it all over your tires

Actually you totally can. I've seen chains that have baked on layers of chain lube, with loads of grime in there from the sticky lube picking up dirt and small rocks, destroying chains in relatively short order. If you use sticky lube you have to clean it off regularly in order to prevent grit from tearing up o-rings. If you use something non-sticky (gear oil, teflon spray, etc), then you can just wipe it down and relube regularly.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Don't wanna turn this into the question thread but I heard every three fill ups is a good time to lube. So. So is that different for sticky and nonsticky?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nitramster posted:

Don't wanna turn this into the question thread but I heard every three fill ups is a good time to lube. So. So is that different for sticky and nonsticky?

Most manuals will recommend anywhere from 300-500 miles, depending. The time between lubes won't change, but you will need to clean regularly if you're using sticky.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That all depends on how often you have to fill up, how often it rains, terrain type, and distance of average trip. When it comes to "rules of thumb" for lubing chains, all of it is bullshit. All of it.

Instead, look at the chain before and after every ride. You'll see how dry/dirty it is, and lube accordingly.

I have a getto "automatic chain oiler," (read: blowby/catchcan drains onto the chain) that keeps the chain oiled pretty much all the time, because it's a non-O-ring chain (O-ring or X-ring chains don't fit in my front sprocket case, too wide). Even with the constant oil bath, I still look the chain over every ride, and every few rides in the summer and every ride in the winter I give it a wipedown to get any dirt/grit off, and give it a quick spritz with some ATF-F I keep on hand in a spray bottle (also used in my primary case).

I have a general disdain for almost all "sticky" chain lubes. In general, all the seem to do is trap grit and poo poo on the rollers and wear down your sprockets and chain faster like an abrasive.

Knock on wood, but 3-5000 miles after purchase (don't know the exact number - my speedometer/odometer has been stolen twice, and I had to replace it once after an electrical fire), my chain and both sprockets look just about new, with no cupping or spiking whatsoever. I still plan on replacing it in 2-3000 miles, even if they still look good, just to have a spare and cover any and all bases of maintenance.

You'll get the hang of maintenance if you just keep an eye on it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Since I fitted my Loobman oiler (filled with some leftover Motul 5100 10W-40 from an oil change) I haven't had to clean my chain at all. Staying constantly oiled seems to stop muck and crap sticking to the chain.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Installed a few more salvaged farkles from the wrecked '03 onto the '06, and a few new pieces too.

Rear tip over bars
Passenger peg lowering brackets
BlueSea auxiliary fuse box
Leads for tank bag power and heated gear
SW Mototech rear tail rack
GIVI E52 topbox
AdMore lighting's LED light kit(run/stop/turn) for GIVI E52
Air filter
NOJ fork guards

Still on the way -
Cee Bailey's windshield (+2" taller, +4" wider)
Clear front turn signals
dual color LED turn signal bulbs (white/amber)
Stock handlebar riser (so I can get rid of this goofy 1" up, 2" back riser plate that so many people put on their ST13)

Now all I want to do is go ride it instead of going to work tomorrow :(

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I slapped some Kwik Tek ScootR Logic Hand Mitts on the Vino today. I look like a dork but I can retain feeling in my hands again. They no longer get windburned and cold-numbed when I'm wearing my leather gloves, and the puffy ski gloves I wore made it really hard to modulate the throttle and brakes properly. Also they take about 10 seconds to install or remove so I won't have to worry about them getting rained on/in or stolen.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ahahah I have the exact same mitts coming in the mail today for my Enfield. If I'm going to ride this winter like I did last winter, I'm going to do it with feeling in my fingers. Got the idea from seeing a BMW tourer guy on the highway with them. I ordered some motorcycle-specific ones a few days ago from Amazon (made a post earlier in this thread about them) that had zippered/velcro holes for bar-end mirrors, but that seller fell through and didn't have them in stock.

For $12 I'm more than willing to slice and stitch a hole in the ends for my mirrors. Plus, the ScootR Logic ones have bigger hand openings than the "motorcycle" ones, which is good for bulky coats.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Since I fitted my Loobman oiler (filled with some leftover Motul 5100 10W-40 from an oil change) I haven't had to clean my chain at all. Staying constantly oiled seems to stop muck and crap sticking to the chain.

I'll second this. I just wipe off the chain with an old rag every couple of weeks and use the oiler on my next ride.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I realised it's time to put them away for the winter. I haven't tried to fit my car in there yet, but I'm hoping it'll be fine...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

Actually you totally can. I've seen chains that have baked on layers of chain lube, with loads of grime in there from the sticky lube picking up dirt and small rocks, destroying chains in relatively short order. If you use sticky lube you have to clean it off regularly in order to prevent grit from tearing up o-rings. If you use something non-sticky (gear oil, teflon spray, etc), then you can just wipe it down and relube regularly.

backpedaling:
sorry I meant you can't oil your chain too much.

If you're using chain wax or something like that then there's really no reason to go overboard. I prefer to oil my non o-ring chains daily. Occasionally I'll heat a pan of oil and let it soak in that after a good cleaning.

Before anyone bitches about wasted resources, I almost always lube with used oil.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

backpedaling:
sorry I meant you can't oil your chain too much.

If you're using chain wax or something like that then there's really no reason to go overboard. I prefer to oil my non o-ring chains daily. Occasionally I'll heat a pan of oil and let it soak in that after a good cleaning.

Before anyone bitches about wasted resources, I almost always lube with used oil.

Non-oring chains are the devil.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

My x-ring glares at you menacingly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KARMA! posted:

My x-ring glares at you menacingly.

X-rings are a form of o-ring ;) All x-rings are o-rings, but not all o-rings are x-rings and all of that :v:

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring BANANA PHONE

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Z3n posted:

X-rings are a form of o-ring ;) All x-rings are o-rings, but not all o-rings are x-rings and all of that :v:

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring BANANA PHONE

Doot doo da doo da doo.

Please kill me

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

Eh... they're not so bad if you like to obsessively lube and clean things.

Besides standard chains are a great way to run a stronger chain without a lot of those pesky clearance issues. That's only if you really need to though, since heavy chains destroy power.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Honestly I don't understand the whole issue with cleaning chains. It's not like it's that big of a hastle. Messy, yes. But automobiles are messy by nature.
Cleaning a chain is no different from doing your laundry or any other life responsibility when you think about it. Hell, it's faster and your life doesn't hang in the balance of your whites. Yet nobody complains that they have to keep their clothes clean.
How is a chain any different?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Found a heated storage unit with supple space for my 2000 SV650 and Ninja for the low, low price of $40/mo in downtown Rochester. In this cool huge former rail station. Yay!

Rode the SV yesterday through a street winter festival at 33 degrees. I got more stares than the clopping horse-wagons around me did. Weird as poo poo to be riding with Christmas lights and decorations and cheer everywhere.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Probably Hates You posted:

your life doesn't hang in the balance of your whites.

It's more the other way around. I know that my whites have hung in the balance a couple of times after some close calls involving my life.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Washed it in the dark using only a bucket and a sponge. Had to go up to the apartment to fill the bucket up thrice. Looks hell of a lot better than before though.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
I feel your pain. I wish I had a garage :smith:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Rode each of my three bikes for a hour each tonight, savoring the 55 degree, no-rain anomaly. Not enough riding time. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Forty Two posted:

I feel your pain. I wish I had a garage :smith:

You can borrow mine! It will never be enough though.
I'm already scheming on how I can expand my driveway and add a separate 3 car garage.
God help us all when that becomes insufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I rode to work. Started snowing at 0900, was still snowing at 1500 when I left. I may take the car tomorrow, just to avoid dealing with assholes on the road.

Only registered members can see post attachments!