Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Brocktoon posted:

I think you are all missing the brilliance of this calendar. Beth has an umbrella in April! April Showers! GET IT?!

Seriously, this whole calendar is a metaphor for the show: lazily done. Stern harps on and on about how he doesn't sell crappy merchandise to his fans, but when he actually does, it's shoddily put together. He can hide behind "hey, I'm just an amateur" all he wants, but this is a supposed professional product that he's urging his fans to buy.

And it especially irks me, because I work with stuff like this every day, and see work this shoddy because "it's good enough" or "no one will notice". Why do something half-assed?

Mutt can talk all he wants about how flawless Beth's skin is in person, but no human has ZERO PORES in their skin whatsoever. It's unnerving. She looks computer generated.

What's your problem? Everything the Stern-iverse creates is top notch. It should be, everything costs a small fortune to make.

And who are you to criticise? What do you do for a living?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Indolent Bastard posted:

What's your problem? Everything the Stern-iverse creates is top notch. It should be, everything costs a small fortune to make.

And who are you to criticise? What do you do for a living?

Can we get a TechnoBeaver calendar, each month showcasing a gadget and Gary's spot-on-can't-be-refuted thoughts on it?
Hell, have the ace photographer do it. Photoshop Beth out of her calendar, take the animals out, and put Gadget Gary in there.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

bisticles posted:

August's is just completely baffling me. He either darkened Beth or lightened the background, which is weird because you typically want the brightest spot in the image to be the focal point of the shot... in this case, Beth's face. He went out of his way to even her out with the blurry and clone-stamped-to-hell foreground.

Judging by the way it looks like Beth is floating and the way the shadows are falling, I'm almost positive that he merged Beth and the dog from one photo with the background from another.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

I'm almost positive that he merged Beth and the dog from one photo with the background from another.

He doesn't seem to realize how high-level that sort of editing is... "Ok, I can apply filters and pave over skin pores reasonably enough, so clearly I'm capable of major surgery."

Anyway, this morning he spent a solid 20 minutes bitching about working an extra three days during December... Just in case you thought the Thursdays were out of the goodness of his heart, his contract does specify a minimum number of shows per year, so he was dragged kicking and screaming to this.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Brocktoon posted:

Judging by the way it looks like Beth is floating and the way the shadows are falling, I'm almost positive that he merged Beth and the dog from one photo with the background from another.

I'm fairly certain that it's a composite of multiple shots, but not a patchjob where he just dropped in the background and dog seperately. If it was, we'd definitely see more garbage where the dog comes in front of Beth, and when Beth comes in front of the background. I'm convinced that the setup was legit:

edit: HA! Except for the part where the dog's tail appears to be passing THROUGH beth's left arm.

What I think is going on here is that there's an assistant (or stand) holding a light reflector disc to keep Beth's face out of direct sun. The shadow on top of her head points to this being the case, and the horrible clone stamping to the left and right of the picture look like him trying to hide the circular shape of the disk's shadow and the assistant's foot / base of the stand.

If you follow the shape of her arm, it makes an abrupt change as it passes through the bracelet, and you can see the ghost image of where the bracelet was on her hand that actually is touching the dog. Same thing on the dog's rear leg. He blended (at least) two shots together and for some reason decided to feather the transition instead of just masking it properly.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 1, 2011

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

This says it all. SFN is awesome tonight.

That's the funniest Stern-related thing I've seen this year. Goddamn.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

He could have avoided all of this just by loving her without a condom and giving her a kid.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Shes Not Impressed posted:

He could have avoided all of this just by loving her without a condom and giving her a kid.

At this point I think a kid would be less aggravating than three cats and a dog that requires round the clock medical care.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

bisticles posted:

One thing to pick up from this, however, is that Beth is a pro, even if Howard doesn't know what to do with her. She is orienting her body and face to the light exactly how a fashion model should, with her nose pointing between the light and the camera. This is classical "feminine" lighting, and I'd be really curious to know if Howard understands any of those concepts, or if he just snaps while Beth composes the shot. Even in the head-on shots (November, September, July) she knows to angle her shoulders to catch the light right.

I'm not one to kiss rear end but yea, you can tell the only professional working in these things is Beth. She's not in Vogue but she definitely knows what she is doing for all that this un-trained eye can tell.

Which makes these calendars even more hilarious because models know what they do/don't look good in and whether their photographer is a total putz or knows his poo poo. She probably saw these edits and had to swallow so much pride to just pat him on the back and tell him he's doing a great job. Of course, I suppose every spouse has these moments in a relationship where it'd be far more crushing to tell the truth than just a little white lie.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'd buy a techno beaver calender. But that would be SELLING OUT to your audience. It's way better to have a photoshop petshop calender.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm not one to kiss rear end but yea, you can tell the only professional working in these things is Beth. She's not in Vogue but she definitely knows what she is doing for all that this un-trained eye can tell.

Which makes these calendars even more hilarious because models know what they do/don't look good in and whether their photographer is a total putz or knows his poo poo. She probably saw these edits and had to swallow so much pride to just pat him on the back and tell him he's doing a great job. Of course, I suppose every spouse has these moments in a relationship where it'd be far more crushing to tell the truth than just a little white lie.

The difference of course...is that when you or I tell our better half something like, "No, your hair looks fine" it's not hair that is going to be seen by millions of people.

I didn't listen past 7:30ish today - did he mention this at all? I might passive aggressively tweet that article at him today. I'm having a lovely day, it might make me feel better.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

AxeManiac posted:

I'd buy a techno beaver calender. But that would be SELLING OUT to your audience. It's way better to have a photoshop petshop calender.

For one of the worst-rated charities in the country.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kelly posted:

The difference of course...is that when you or I tell our better half something like, "No, your hair looks fine" it's not hair that is going to be seen by millions of people.

Also, you're not going to try to sell that hair to people so you can donate the money to a lovely charity.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
"60 new replies? Something awesome must have happened on the show!"

Something awesome happening, but not on the show. :allears:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

I'd buy a techno beaver calender.

Would it work in ski houses?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vakal posted:

Would it work in ski houses?

If it behaves like the real Techno Beaver, it won't work very much at all.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Where have Sal and Richard been? They have been quiet. It was great to hear from Richard's dad. I'm sure he could get a job calling people once a month and leaving little messages.

Hey AxeManiac, this is Richard's Father. He said I should call you, so I did. I found a dead deer in the walmart parking lot so I took it home and made a stew. Have a good day.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AxeManiac posted:

Where have Sal and Richard been? They have been quiet. It was great to hear from Richard's dad. I'm sure he could get a job calling people once a month and leaving little messages.

Hey AxeManiac, this is Richard's Father. He said I should call you, so I did. I found a dead deer in the walmart parking lot so I took it home and made a stew. Have a good day.

I bought a headband from Riley Martin, but first I e-mailed his site to ask if it would fit my head. (It's like an orange on a toothpick.) Riley called and left me a voice-mail message telling me that he had a pretty large head, too, and that it fit him with room to spare. I should have saved the message; it was surreal to hear Riley talking at me.

I've been tempted to order a symbol from him, mainly because in order to get the symbol, he has to interview you over the phone so he can X-ray your energies (or whatever).

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I remember when everyone was calling sour shoes and ordering his coloring books. I wanted to, but man, I don't know if I directly want to interact with any of these people.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AxeManiac posted:

I remember when everyone was calling sour shoes and ordering his coloring books. I wanted to, but man, I don't know if I directly want to interact with any of these people.

I like to think that Sour Shoes and Riley are on a higher level than rear end Napkin Ed, and wouldn't turn into stalkers. (I don't know if Ed has stalked anybody, but he seems like he might.)

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I just have horrible visions of Riley calling me a mother fucka and asking for more money because I have wronged him.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

AxeManiac posted:

Sour Shoes was randomly leaving me personalized voice mails and it was probably the highlight of my life.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

-Atom- posted:

Sour Shoes was randomly leaving me personalized voice mails and it was probably the highlight of my life.

You know, I was just going to say that - wasn't there a guy on these forums who Sour Shoes was randomly leaving him personalized voice mails and it was probably the highlight of his life.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
What an utterly hilarious situation. I'm so sick of things being photoshopped to oblivion... it looks terrible when done by "professionals". Who are you trying to fool? Are we to assume that Beth's face is naturally covered in vasoline? If Howard honestly thinks this looks good he's far more delusional than we thought.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

FogHelmut posted:

You know, I was just going to say that - wasn't there a guy on these forums who Sour Shoes was randomly leaving him personalized voice mails and it was probably the highlight of his life.

Nobody got poop mailed to them?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
For the longest time I considered buying an X-rated talking Riley Martin bobblehead but it was something like $45 and I just could almost feel the buyer's remorse wash over me before I even bought it so I decided against it. Plus nobody else I know would get why I have a doll of a black man wearing an Indian headband and calling me a "cheap Jew motherfucker".

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AxeManiac posted:

They've been on a ton this week. Sal got caught on the news saying something was "65-40" in terms of odds, Howard brought him in to berate him and it led to them begging to have some 1time bit players, leading up to Howard saying they've been submitting real clunkers lately and playing a few rejected bits (one of which was actually funny, the other was pretty bad) and Richard saying "Well we give you the bad stuff so you know we're working" which set Howard off even more.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Holy jesus, not breaking news at this point but these photoshops are terrible.

He shouldn't have even bothered, I don't even know how he managed to make CS5 do such terrible poo poo since it pretty much auto-fixes everything with a minimum of actual artistic talent required (I know he wouldn't buy anything but the latest and most expensive version.)

Beth looks like a Realdoll thanks to Howard's ham hands.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Gary's Love Tape negotiations on 101 right now.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Holy Calamity! posted:

They've been on a ton this week. Sal got caught on the news saying something was "65-40" in terms of odds, Howard brought him in to berate him and it led to them begging to have some 1time bit players, leading up to Howard saying they've been submitting real clunkers lately and playing a few rejected bits (one of which was actually funny, the other was pretty bad) and Richard saying "Well we give you the bad stuff so you know we're working" which set Howard off even more.

Oh, I've only heard Monday's show, so maybe the rest of the week will pick up!

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Twelve pictures of Beth with animals and only one where she's not looking at the camera.

Also, that cross-eyed cat is loving awesome. This could've been a nice, fun thing if there were more pictures like that and some actual interaction/letting the animals be animals instead of "Here I am being hot and looking at you while you look at some animals."

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Howard's become that stereotypical celebrity everyone hates and he used to make fun of. Imagine if Brad Pitt had shot that calendar with Angelina Jolie and did the photoshop work himself. We'd never hear the end of Howard goofing on him and how Howard is a better photographer.

It's just insane the he turns down books, movies, tv shows etc (all the time according to Howard :rolleyes:) because they're not good enough and he'll be ridiculed if it sucks. Then he puts out this calendar. Maybe this is just an elaborate troll that Beth isn't in on?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

Howard's become that stereotypical celebrity everyone hates and he used to make fun of. Imagine if Brad Pitt had shot that calendar with Angelina Jolie and did the photoshop work himself. We'd never hear the end of Howard goofing on him and how Howard is a better photographer.

It's just insane the he turns down books, movies, tv shows etc (all the time according to Howard :rolleyes:) because they're not good enough and he'll be ridiculed if it sucks. Then he puts out this calendar. Maybe this is just an elaborate troll that Beth isn't in on?

It's more likely that Stern lies about being in the loop to save his fragile ego and is jumping in front of cameras to remind people he exists. He's pretty much like Eric the Midget: won't do anything cool, but will never miss an opportunity to make a flaming rear end out of himself.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

It's the roll call, it's the roll call, it's the roll call, it's the roll call...

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Howard: How many vegetables do you eat in a day, Gary?

Gary: Next to none.

:bravo:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I don't think Beth could be "in on" anything. I don't think she could hold up any ruse for long.

It is kind of maddening how he can't see the Imus/Deirdre connection or just doesn't care to address it, but it is his show, so that is probably why nobody goofs on him but the listeners, the only people who can.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

AxeManiac posted:

I don't think Beth could be "in on" anything. I don't think she could hold up any ruse for long.

It is kind of maddening how he can't see the Imus/Deirdre connection or just doesn't care to address it, but it is his show, so that is probably why nobody goofs on him but the listeners, the only people who can.

...for 30 seconds before Howard erupts with an emphatic "FUCKK OWF!" hangs up and then takes Bobo's call to sooth his bruised ego.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I have just been informed that I will be receiving the calendar (as a joke) for Christmas. I seriously cannot wait!

AxeManiac posted:

Beth doesn't strike me as the type of person who would be able to hold it together, either. She is so devoted to the NSAL too - I can't imagine she would let them be used in this way.

Beth has really become a good source of entertainment on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Indolent Bastard posted:

...for 30 seconds before Howard erupts with an emphatic "FUCKK OWF!" hangs up and then takes Bobo's call to sooth his bruised ego.

I just meant why people ask why his fans complain to him, because he pays or ignores anyone else.

If I had the means, I'd hire all the wack packers to do a parody calender using Eric the Midget as the animal in each shot.