Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Awkward Davies posted:

Sidenote: Holy crap Lightroom is much better with an extra 4 gigs of ram.

That is all.

I ordered 8 more gigs and an SSD on Black Friday. Photoshop's gonna go so fast editing my 750mb TIFFs :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SSD's make editing fun again.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Just imagine SSD + 16gb RAM :smug:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Saint Fu posted:

SSD + 12gb RAM is good enough for me :smuggo:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

I don't have to imagine anything :smugbert:

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Pff, spoiled amateurs. I process RAW files from my 5DII on a 16 MHz Intel 386. Yes, that's MEGA-hertz. The waiting is part of the creative process.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

http://zackarias.com/news/onelight-dvd-cyber-monday-sale-50-off/ one day sale on the one light dvd 75 bucks.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

I ordered 8 more gigs and an SSD on Black Friday. Photoshop's gonna go so fast editing my 750mb TIFFs :D

Which SSD did you buy? I'm feeling empowered by replacing my own RAM and eyeing SSDs. The intel 256gb one is like 400, but I think there is a crucial one for cheaper (just not sure if I can trust it).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mathturbator posted:

Pff, spoiled amateurs. I process RAW files from my 5DII on a 16 MHz Intel 386. Yes, that's MEGA-hertz. The waiting is part of the creative process.

Editing images that have a potential of millions of colors on a system that can only display 256, now that's the life. :smug:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

Which SSD did you buy? I'm feeling empowered by replacing my own RAM and eyeing SSDs. The intel 256gb one is like 400, but I think there is a crucial one for cheaper (just not sure if I can trust it).
Samsung 830.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

evil_bunnY posted:

Samsung 830.

I want this in 256GB so bad.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I couldn't afford a big ssd when I was upgrading my system, so I got an 80gb one. Ugh, huge mistake.

I can pretty much only have Windows, and some installed apps on the drive. Lightroom previews and all the thumbnails for every program go to your appdata folder on your system drive, which end up taking many gigabytes of space.

I loaded up ACDSee and just let it hit my photos dir that was on my big raid array, and it put like 8GB of thumbnails on my boot drive, which brought free space to 0 and it was just a huge mess.

Now every few days I have to go wipe out thumbnails/previews and it's really annoying and I just bought a $300 monitor instead of a bigger ssd and now I'm mad at myself.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Awkward Davies posted:

I just picked up a Crucial M4 128gb SSD. It's outstanding. Great reviews with solid reliability. Have no fear with Crucial SSD's.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dunkman posted:

I can pretty much only have Windows, and some installed apps on the drive. Lightroom previews and all the thumbnails for every program go to your appdata folder on your system drive, which end up taking many gigabytes of space.

I ran into this problem because I keep a fairly small system partition and store all my personal stuff on extra hard disks (reason: it makes os reinstalls a lot easier).

It turns out the previews are actually written into the catalog, and Lightroom lets you store catalogs anywhere you want. The only problem is where the default catalog gets written ('My Pictures' under windows, ~/Library on a mac). You can either export your catalog to a new location and open it in lightroom, or select 'new catalog' from the file menu and make a new one wherever you want, and import pictures into that.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

OCZ Agility 3 60GB when it was on sale at Newegg. I'm not gonna hold photos on it, just Photoshop's scratch disks.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dunkman posted:

I couldn't afford a big ssd when I was upgrading my system, so I got an 80gb one. Ugh, huge mistake.

I loaded up ACDSee and just let it hit my photos dir that was on my big raid array, and it put like 8GB of thumbnails on my boot drive, which brought free space to 0 and it was just a huge mess.

Now every few days I have to go wipe out thumbnails/previews and it's really annoying and I just bought a $300 monitor instead of a bigger ssd and now I'm mad at myself.
Hardlinks are your friends. Also, LR will put its stuff wherever you tell it to. They should still be on your SSD. And yes 80GB is retarded.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Instead of the OS on the SSD, can't you just use it for the image file source?

Also,

I have a photo, not a bad photo, on Flickr.

barney the banana rat by torgeaux, on Flickr

On November 15, it got 50+ hits, almost all from google image search for banana rat. Interesting, but not unusual. Then the next day, 50+, almost all from google searches. Continuing to today, it's been 10 or more per day, almost all from google. I can't find a news story or web story that would trigger the interest. Just can't figure it out.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

dunkman posted:

No need to be mad about that, SSDs are falling in price fairly rapidly, whereas IPS monitors appear to be falling slightly more slowly ( I assume you got the Dell 24 inch IPS from the BF sale). You can always pick up a 120gb for $100ish sometime this holiday season as a stop gap until the 1TB ones become reasonable.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Also,

I have a photo, not a bad photo, on Flickr.

barney the banana rat by torgeaux, on Flickr

On November 15, it got 50+ hits, almost all from google image search for banana rat. Interesting, but not unusual. Then the next day, 50+, almost all from google searches. Continuing to today, it's been 10 or more per day, almost all from google. I can't find a news story or web story that would trigger the interest. Just can't figure it out.

You rank in the first page for banana rat results on GIS. Considering the billions of searches being done, a small number must be for banana rat and a smaller number must click on your photo.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Awkward Davies posted:

You rank in the first page for banana rat results on GIS. Considering the billions of searches being done, a small number must be for banana rat and a smaller number must click on your photo.

Yeah, but before 15 November, zero hits for a few months, and before that, the occasional hit from google. Just curious about the recent interest.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Why isn't that rat eating a banana.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RangerScum posted:

Why isn't that rat eating a banana.

They're a plague on that side of Cuba. One of the only written agreements between Cuba and the US is to permit us to kill them with abandon. They've no real predators (small boa constrictor population and cars), and they breed like rats. I've never seen one near a banana, but they eat trees, garbage, bushes. They're also gregarious and cute. More than one has come up to me in the dark, raised up on their legs and touched me. I did not scream like a girl the first time. No one can prove anything different. Now, I'm very used to them hanging around when I shoot at night.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Paragon8 posted:

http://zackarias.com/news/onelight-dvd-cyber-monday-sale-50-off/ one day sale on the one light dvd 75 bucks.
Shame the postage is $30 to Australia. What a gyp. Almost as bad as NBC wanting to charge me $38 postage for the purchase of a $20 t-shirt.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

I can confirm this; one of my photos is the top Google Images result for spiral aloe.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

I can confirm this; one of my photos is the top Google Images result for spiral aloe.

If you search "farmorama" on GIS the second result is a lovely Pano/stitch I made linked on FlickrRiver. You'd be surprised how many people A. search for that term and B. will click through from FlickrRiver. The photo is up to 1,363 views.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm #6 for "kangaroo penis" with 2722 views so far.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

psylent posted:

I'm #6 for "kangaroo penis" with 2722 views so far.

I think we're talking about pictures we've taken not pictures of us.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

torgeaux posted:

you put both. Even W7 is 20G at most, it's plenty to have at least your last set on SSD as well. Then move them to slow spindles.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Lightning storm just hit while i was walking off a pasta overload and I ran all the way home, got my X100, busted out to my car and lordy did the sky open up and end all. It was a violent flashing world. Drains instantly full, trees suddenly across roads. High beams ineffectual in the fog of rain. Giant static spikes shuddering my woofer during a techno request on Triple J. It was like Steve Buscemi in Con Air when you thought he was going to have sex with that little girl but he just stole her doll.

And there I was, slowly pulling the focus out to infinity on the X100 because I couldn't cheat it out in automatic focus. Me and this camera are over. We're not friends anymore. In fact, the revisionist in me says we never were.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Paragon8 posted:

I think we're talking about pictures we've taken not pictures of us.
;-*

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Helmacron posted:

Lightning storm just hit while i was walking off a pasta overload and I ran all the way home, got my X100, busted out to my car and lordy did the sky open up and end all. It was a violent flashing world. Drains instantly full, trees suddenly across roads. High beams ineffectual in the fog of rain. Giant static spikes shuddering my woofer during a techno request on Triple J. It was like Steve Buscemi in Con Air when you thought he was going to have sex with that little girl but he just stole her doll.

And there I was, slowly pulling the focus out to infinity on the X100 because I couldn't cheat it out in automatic focus. Me and this camera are over. We're not friends anymore. In fact, the revisionist in me says we never were.

Oof. As a fellow x100 owner I feel your pain. How can a camera so good in all other aspects be lumbered with a focusing system that is so spectacularily terrible.

If the x100 was a person it would be George Clooney, but with a crippling erectile disfunction. Sure you have the potential to bed the most beatiful women on earth, and you do just that.... but for every 2 successess, there is that soul-destroying third time where you were left fumbling frantically with your focus ring trying to make poo poo work while your shot gets bored and fucks off.

What do you use for rain protection on your x100?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
:3:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/24/garden/an-upstate-farm-brings-a-fashion-photographer-back-to-his-roots.html
This is almost the perfect life.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well my day is complete after a Buscemi reference.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

HeyEng posted:

Well my day is complete after a Buscemi reference.

My day isn't. I just destroyed my D3s. Now I have to go back to the X100 I just forswore. There's all this glass inside my bag. Tinkling sounds. Do you know how hosed that is. I can't remember the last time I was this unhappy. I have no comparison. I am unhappy.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Haha what the gently caress did you do, hurl it at an angry bear?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

No digital camera for a while :smith:
Now what?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Buy a film body that uses all your glass and :colbert: it up with badass film pictures.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

Buy a film body that uses all your glass and :colbert: it up with badass film pictures.

I have an old rangefinder I should pop some film in. But I don't know how to focus :negative:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Helmacron posted:

My day isn't. I just destroyed my D3s. Now I have to go back to the X100 I just forswore. There's all this glass inside my bag. Tinkling sounds. Do you know how hosed that is. I can't remember the last time I was this unhappy. I have no comparison. I am unhappy.

I'd like to hear this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

A5H posted:

I have an old rangefinder I should pop some film in. But I don't know how to focus :negative:

Ship it over to me before you hurt it and/or yourself