Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dominoes posted:

I've decided to get Cyanogen. I tried using it, but it's stuck on the Cyanogen load screen. I recovered my phone with Clockwork. I googled this and it's common, but without a solution. Most suggestions are to install using a different method. I used Rom Manager.

Suggestions:
1)Try temporarily clearing everything else off your SD card (if you have one)
2)Try an earlier version of Cyanogenmod first, and then upgrade it to the latest.
3) Try having recovery wipe out /system, /data, etc and then install from within clockwork recovery. Make sure you have a full backup of the working state of your phone first, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

Suggestions:
1)Try temporarily clearing everything else off your SD card (if you have one)
2)Try an earlier version of Cyanogenmod first, and then upgrade it to the latest.
3) Try having recovery wipe out /system, /data, etc and then install from within clockwork recovery. Make sure you have a full backup of the working state of your phone first, of course.
Thank you; checking the "clear cache/data" box when installing Cyanogen worked!

Now I need to figure out which differences are from Cyanogen, and which are from not having HTC Sense. My first impression is that the lack of Verizon/HTC bloatware being gone rocks! I can now use my apps drawer effectively and keep the home screens simple.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 30, 2011

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
New (unofficial?) CM7.1 port for the EVO 3D

Pretty much the same things are broken on this one as they were on the one that Toast was working on. But it is based on CM7.1 instead of CM7.0.

- bluetooth working! but car stereo mode is borked
- wimax broken for now
- taking 3d images and video not working
- 3d pictures (mpo, jps, ect) do not display in 3d
- FFC takes pics upside down

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is "Brainmaster's MIUI" hands down better than stock MIUI?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Lowen SoDium posted:

New (unofficial?) CM7.1 port for the EVO 3D

Pretty much the same things are broken on this one as they were on the one that Toast was working on. But it is based on CM7.1 instead of CM7.0.

- bluetooth working! but car stereo mode is borked
- wimax broken for now
- taking 3d images and video not working
- 3d pictures (mpo, jps, ect) do not display in 3d
- FFC takes pics upside down
ICS is right around the corner for the Evo 3d, with just about as many gotchas.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/113702637309752822154/posts/ZuZDz1auXtF

Super excited at the fact that I'll probably be running ICS by this weekend on my Sensation.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is there anywhere on the internet that would show planned or even speculated features of CM9?

It's been slow at work for a long while and I've been doing so much reading, watching videos about the Galaxy Nexus and ICS. Ending in me finally getting to flash something ICS, I played around with an 80ish % complete aosp ICS rom a bit this week. I was underwhelmed. Not because of what didn't work but because of what did.

To be honest about the only things in ICS that really excite me is the hw acceleration and the rapid-firing and panorama-doing camera. (These were the 2 main things missing on the rom I tried)

I am so hooked on so many little features in CM7, the lockscren gestures, the ring unlock with 4 apps, the customizable notification power widget, the permissions management, the long press volume track changes and on and on.

If you gave me a 100% working pure aosp ics rom right now, I would not use it other than to play around with, I probably would not leave the house with it running. It's polished, it looks a LOT better but for features, CM7 wins.

I'm new to android as of Feb this year, the only releases of android I'm really familiar with are pure aosp on several friends nexus s, CM 7.02 and higher on my inspire and nook color and HTC sense (froyo and gb) that came with the inspire. Just hoping cm9 is going to have all kinds of cm7 features and more and not be mostly plain aosp at first slowly adding stuff over time. Were any cm extras lost between cm6 and 7?

I'm rambling here, I'm excited, things are happening fast

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 1, 2011

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Wagonburner posted:

Is there anywhere on the internet that would show planned or even speculated features of CM9?

It's been slow at work for a long while and I've been doing so much reading, watching videos about the Galaxy Nexus and ICS. Ending in me finally getting to flash something ICS, I played around with an 80ish % complete aosp ICS rom a bit this week. I was underwhelmed. Not because of what didn't work but because of what did.

To be honest about the only things in ICS that really excite me is the hw acceleration and the rapid-firing and panorama-doing camera. (These were the 2 main things missing on the rom I tried)

I am so hooked on so many little features in CM7, the lockscren gestures, the ring unlock with 4 apps, the customizable notification power widget, the permissions management, the long press volume track changes and on and on.

If you gave me a 100% working pure aosp ics rom right now, I would not use it other than to play around with, I probably would not leave the house with it running. It's polished, it looks a LOT better but for features, CM7 wins.

I'm new to android as of Feb this year, the only releases of android I'm really familiar with are pure aosp on several friends nexus s, CM 7.02 and higher on my inspire and nook color and HTC sense (froyo and gb) that came with the inspire. Just hoping cm9 is going to have all kinds of cm7 features and more and not be mostly plain aosp at first slowly adding stuff over time. Were any cm extras lost between cm6 and 7?

It took at least a little while to get all the same features from CM6 ported over to CM7. Add on to the fact that you couldn't get all the features working the same way on every phone that had a CM7 port and that just made things take longer. One thing I remember not making it in right away was the battery percentage in the notification bar because there were some big changes to the way things were displayed up there I guess.

I'm excited for ICS too but yeah, I think a lot of us are spoiled by the nice features that CM brings us.

I'm sure they'll release something pretty feature complete when they hit Beta but for Alphas I wouldn't expect too much.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I know I'll be giving up functionality, but it really doesn't bother me - I just like changing my rom out regularly. I'm very well aware I can get 90% of ICS functionality via CM and a custom launcher anyway, but just the idea of running the new OS is the appeal to me.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Wagonburner posted:

the permissions management

You mean the totally broken permissions management which will just shut down an application instead of simply denying a single permission on it and letting it continue to operate like LBE Security control?

That permission management which is a great idea but so poorly executed it's laughable?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Slopehead posted:

You mean the totally broken permissions management which will just shut down an application instead of simply denying a single permission on it and letting it continue to operate like LBE Security control?

That permission management which is a great idea but so poorly executed it's laughable?

I like it, I deny internet permissions to lots of things and have never had a FC, the only problem I've had using it was denying internet to a game that evidently had an error handler for this, kept popping up "you're not connected to the internet, you need to connect". Perm mgmt does exactly what it says, it denies the permission, if that causes the app to FC, it's because of the way the app was coded not because perm mgmt was poorly executed. It's just executed in a simpler more lower-level way than LBE.

LBE, I'll admit I've never used, don't know much about it but, from what I've gathered posted in the forums here about it: it's completely closed source, dev website is only in Chinese, needs a bunch of permissions itself, no one knows anything about how it does what it does (does it fake the permissions? does it simply deny somehow differently than cm?) and tinfoil types seem to think all of that + more is kind of shady. I'll live with hulk SMASH! brute-force perm mgmt that has a possibility of breaking an app. (but really hasn't for me yet since whenever it came out.)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 1, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

:words:

I agree with this. The customizable notification power widget, volume control track changes, and lockscreen gestures are big to me as well but the one that I positively can't live without is the ability to disable the lockscreen. (Of course that's broken in CM7 and always has been.) I really like battery percentage too.

So my two favorite features were a) broken and available only through a workaround or b) not added until it was more than halfway through CM7's lifecycle.

If it's between CM9 (with CM7's level of reliability) or AOSP that actually works, it's going to be a tough call but I know I'll end up on CM9 just because I cannot live without customizable LED notifications. The fact that it's not stock on the Nexus One is criminal- "This LED can display every color for notifications!" *Trackball only ever lights up white*

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green

Dominoes posted:

Thank you; checking the "clear cache/data" box when installing Cyanogen worked!

Now I need to figure out which differences are from Cyanogen, and which are from not having HTC Sense. My first impression is that the lack of Verizon/HTC bloatware being gone rocks! I can now use my apps drawer effectively and keep the home screens simple.

First thing you should download is QuickPic, because the new default (non-Sense) Gallery is terrible. Slow as hell, buggy, randomly re-sorts photos, ugh!

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Does anybody know of a method to flash zImages/tar files without a USB cable on the Galaxy S2? I want to try the Lulz Kernel for its supposedly nice CPU governor, but everything wants me to hook up with a cable and use Odin or Heimdall.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Rohaq posted:

Does anybody know of a method to flash zImages/tar files without a USB cable on the Galaxy S2? I want to try the Lulz Kernel for its supposedly nice CPU governor, but everything wants me to hook up with a cable and use Odin or Heimdall.

Doesn't Samsung let you flash files from the SD card in some sort of recovery? It's been a while since I owned a GS.

What's keeping you from using a USB cable-based method if that's the way it's usually done?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rohaq posted:

Does anybody know of a method to flash zImages/tar files without a USB cable on the Galaxy S2?
Most kernels are released as Odin-flashable .tars and CWM-flashable .zips. If you grab the .zip version, you should be able to flash it through CWM. If for some reason that specific kernel is only released as .tar, you can replace the zImage in a different CWM-flashable kernel package (e.g., SpeedMod) and apply that.

That said, I highly recommend you have a USB cable and a copy of Odin/Heimdall on standby. The SGSII has no separate recovery kernel so if it's a bad flash or you accidentally flash a kernel for a different device, you're utterly hosed until you can get a USB cable and flash a stock/working kernel with Odin/Heimdall. Thus, using Odin/Heimdall to flash the custom kernel is a good exercise just to make sure that mechanism works in the first place.

Hell, I didn't realize the I9100G is OMAP. Samsung, what are you doing?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Civil posted:

Doesn't Samsung let you flash files from the SD card in some sort of recovery? It's been a while since I owned a GS.

What's keeping you from using a USB cable-based method if that's the way it's usually done?

I've only got my charger right now, no cables.

I've got ClockworkMod 5 installed, but that only allows zips to be flashed, I believe, unless you know of another method?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rohaq posted:

I've only got my charger right now, no cables.
Your charger doesn't use a micro-USB cable? That's weird.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Hell, I didn't realize the I9100G is OMAP. Samsung, what are you doing?

Being Samsung.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Your charger doesn't use a micro-USB cable? That's weird.
It's wired to the plug, so I'm afraid not.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
Anyone know of a way to root a Sony Xperia Play with 2.3.3 on Verizon? All I could find were methods for older versions and GSM variants.

Thanks!

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Does Titanium Backup Pro allow multiple devices? I just got an asus transformer and I copied the key text file from my phone but it doesn't appear to be seeing/approving it.

EDIT: Fixed it, I guess TB only looks at the internal "SD Card" folder for the license key.

Drevoak fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 2, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Color me floored seeing CM bring ICS to my Evo 3D sometime soon.

I had an Epic for so long...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Entire Universe posted:

Color me floored seeing CM bring ICS to my Evo 3D sometime soon.

I had an Epic for so long...

I don't care what's broken in CM9 because it can't be any loving worse than CM7 on the Sensation.

Random wake lock? Check!
Browser crashes 90% of the time? Check!
Battery life measured in minutes? Double check!
CPU Settings that crash on boot? Check!
Notification focus broken and you blew out your ear drums from a text? Quadruple check!

Hell yeah!

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 2, 2011

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Most kernels are released as Odin-flashable .tars and CWM-flashable .zips. If you grab the .zip version, you should be able to flash it through CWM. If for some reason that specific kernel is only released as .tar, you can replace the zImage in a different CWM-flashable kernel package (e.g., SpeedMod) and apply that.
I tried this and it went badly wrong: basically my phone black screened after the initial Samsung boot screen. Luckily my ClockworkMod recovery was still working, so I could just restore from there.

I think I'll wait till I'm back and can use Heimdall now though. Serves me right for tinkering.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I don't care what's broken in CM9 because it can't be any loving worse than CM7 on the Sensation.

Random wake lock? Check!
Notification focus broken and you blew out your ear drums from a text? Quadruple check!

Hell yeah!

If you're feeling brave you could try out this apparently mostly working ICS rom:

http://android.modaco.com/topic/349130-02-12-s001a-tripnice401-tripnraver-aosp-icecream-sandwitch-401-alpha/

I think data is broken still though and KMobs says that hardware acceleration isn't working on it despite the guy saying it's confirmed.

I'm tempted to try it but I think I'll wait until KMobs releases something since I know it'll probably be mostly working and able to use as a daily driver.

EDIT: Actually, don't try it. After skimming the thread there's so much broken that it's probably not even worth trying haha.

infinite99 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 2, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

infinite99 posted:

KMobs
I'm just going to wait for the CM9 alpha from kmobs but speaking of, good God that guy is a drama whore.

infinite99 posted:

EDIT: Actually, don't try it. After skimming the thread there's so much broken that it's probably not even worth trying haha.
It's an SDK port, so uh yeah.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm just going to wait for the CM9 alpha from kmobs but speaking of, good God that guy is a drama whore.

It's an SDK port, so uh yeah.

There's just so much drama involved throughout the Android community in general but if it gets me updates to the latest version of Android, I won't complain. I find it funny anyway so it's entertaining all around!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

infinite99 posted:

If you're feeling brave you could try out this apparently mostly working ICS rom:

http://android.modaco.com/topic/349130-02-12-s001a-tripnice401-tripnraver-aosp-icecream-sandwitch-401-alpha/

I think data is broken still though and KMobs says that hardware acceleration isn't working on it despite the guy saying it's confirmed.

I'm tempted to try it but I think I'll wait until KMobs releases something since I know it'll probably be mostly working and able to use as a daily driver.

It's the most stable version of ICS publicly released, but that isn't saying much at all. Texts crash, the menu crashes, wifi doesn't work.

What I hate is that a lot of the times if you give a list genuine bugs, you'll often get white knights yelling "He works hard! You try doing it if you don't like it :smug:"

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I was actually excited for the port yesterday, Trip was leading people to think he had a 'daily driver' on his hands. What a loving mess.

Kmobs tried playing high and mighty like he was going to stay out of the mud, but he just couldn't help himself. I suppose it goes with the type of personality that develops free stuff for others, the glory and attention is really what it's all about.

I do see a lot of people saying "I'll throw a few bucks your way once the rom drops", I wonder how much of that actually happens.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Random wake lock? Check!

Hell yeah!
Yeah, it's a disaster, and has kept me on Sense, which makes me die a little inside. Even MIUI has CM7 team dependencies on their ROM, so that has similar problems for the time being.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Anyone keeping an eye on CM9/ICS for the G2? Does Cyanogen still use his G2?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I haven't been able to find anything on the progress of CM9 for the G2/DZ. The closest thing I've managed to find is a bunch of XDA "developers" blindly flailing and failing at it.

e: just looked, and the aforementioned XDA project has already been abandoned.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 2, 2011

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I'm using cm7 on my sensation right now. I'm not noticing any of the aforementioned bugs...

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ZShakespeare posted:

I haven't been able to find anything on the progress of CM9 for the G2/DZ. The closest thing I've managed to find is a bunch of XDA "developers" blindly flailing and failing at it.

e: just looked, and the aforementioned XDA project has already been abandoned.

Ah, Thanks; Found that again. I thought I saw something yesterday but couldn't find it for some reason. Skimming through the end of the abandoned project, they mentioned this ICS (Andromadus) port is further along.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Experto Crede posted:

It's the most stable version of ICS publicly released, but that isn't saying much at all. Texts crash, the menu crashes, wifi doesn't work.

What I hate is that a lot of the times if you give a list genuine bugs, you'll often get white knights yelling "He works hard! You try doing it if you don't like it :smug:"
Amazing! Romma-drama - one dev calls out another, who quits, deletes his dev files, and takes his toys home.

http://android.modaco.com/topic/349130-lolkmobs-wanker/page__view__findpost__p__1856775

The funny thing is that Keyan's callout of his 'acceleration' wasn't nearly as damning as the pages of people listing gamestopping bugs in his ROM. I don't think he was up to fixing it, and took the easy way out.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Civil posted:

Amazing! Romma-drama - one dev calls out another, who quits, deletes his dev files, and takes his toys home.

http://android.modaco.com/topic/349130-lolkmobs-wanker/page__view__findpost__p__1856775

The funny thing is that Keyan's callout of his 'acceleration' wasn't nearly as damning as the pages of people listing gamestopping bugs in his ROM. I don't think he was up to fixing it, and took the easy way out.

I suspected that would happen. He seemed very much like the sort of person who's happy to big themselves up, not deliver, and go ape when they get called out on it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is the iOS after market community this bad? Jesus Christ.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is the iOS after market community this bad? Jesus Christ.

I think pretty much every homebrew/hacking community has their share of these guys. The videogame modding scene certainly does.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Random wake lock? Check!

Hell yeah!

everything except the CPU setting issue came stock with the Epic.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I love how the XDA devs working on an ICS port for my phone say it's daily driveable even though it has no bluetooth, camera, or accelerometer functionality. Call me crazy, but I find those to be pretty important.

Also, apparently videos and 3D gaming don't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Shroomie posted:

I love how the XDA devs working on an ICS port for my phone say it's daily driveable even though it has no bluetooth, camera, or accelerometer functionality. Call me crazy, but I find those to be pretty important.

Also, apparently videos and 3D gaming don't work.

Daily driven means it turns on, makes phone calls and data might even work. XDA is special.