Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

The Fucky posted:

Am I just being paranoid, or does anyone else see this? On the second panel of this page, before Goatdad rises to the surface, the waves in the middle make a big :o) Gamzee smiley, no?

I mentioned it earlier on the page, so yeah you're not paranoid. It's the same type of lusus Gamzee had so it's definitely intentional.

Edit: Well, earlier on the last page now. You get what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

The Fucky posted:

Am I just being paranoid, or does anyone else see this? On the second panel of this page, before Goatdad rises to the surface, the waves in the middle make a big :o) Gamzee smiley, no?

Nah, you're not the only one. Case in point:

Boneless Jogger posted:

Hahaha, I only just noticed the smiley face in the water ripples on the first panel of the update.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Uh oh...

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

GLOSS posted:

Uh oh...

My wallet is ready.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

FewtureMD posted:

My wallet is ready.

Good, because they've had Problem Sleuth 3 sitting in the warehouse for awhile now waiting for this to come in...

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

GLOSS posted:

Uh oh...

Totally going on my Christmas list.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

GLOSS posted:

Uh oh...

My credit card just flew out of my wallet and onto the computer monitor! Gimme gimme GIMME!!1!! :f5:

Also, it would be nice if the next page/panel/whatever will be a [s] Strife but we'll see. All I know is that this little island is getting more awesome by the minute with all these lusii just chillin.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I imagine that this will be much like Act 5.1 in that there will be no actual flashes until near the end to help speed the process along.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
It'd be nice if there were a strife flash, especially since the last one was almost almost a year ago at this point. But like Chunky I doubt there will be one, especially after the fake crabdad strife. (I know that was a callback but still)

Also obligatory "gently caress yes, Homestuck Book One!" :)

Cracky
Feb 11, 2007

are you one of those guys who likes big fatties and the big fatties have got big fatty dildos in their nose and they barf and they barf and its so gross.
I hope this entire box contains one copy in A3.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
It's all full of Hunk Rump.

E: or all the text is Comic Sans.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Dizz posted:

E: or all the text is Comic Sans.

Instead of Homestuck Book one, it's actually Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff book three. There are no SBaHJ books one and two btw

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Book is cool... I still wish he'd release it on a DVD-ROM, visual novel style, keeping in tact things like links and white Scratch dialogue you have to highlight and such

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Boneless Jogger posted:

Instead of Homestuck Book one, it's actually Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff book three. There are no SBaHJ books one and two btw

Sounds okay to me!

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Boneless Jogger posted:

It'd be nice if there were a strife flash, especially since the last one was almost almost a year ago at this point. But like Chunky I doubt there will be one, especially after the fake crabdad strife. (I know that was a callback but still)

Also obligatory "gently caress yes, Homestuck Book One!" :)

Wasnt't there a strife quite recently between doc scratch and the handmaid?

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

"Any guy who balks at tossing back a Venetian Sunset or a Parisian Ticklefight or a Chattanooga Handjob is in actuality a blue ribbon pony’s meticulously primped vagina."

I basically lost it at this, completely. He has such a way with polite words that make dirty words.. dirtier.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Prison Warden posted:

Book is cool... I still wish he'd release it on a DVD-ROM, visual novel style, keeping in tact things like links and white Scratch dialogue you have to highlight and such

Just wait, the Scratch dialogue will be written in invisible ink. You've have to dab it with lemon juice or some poo poo to figure out what he's saying.

Rooreelooo posted:

Right, but not a Flash animated strife like the original 4 kids all had.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Rooreelooo posted:

That was technically a "Grief" not a Strife anyways :spergin:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

FutureSushi posted:

Man I know Hussie loves his tension building and exposition but I think I am reaching critical impatience with stuff being crazy with no outright payoff. I don't know how I lasted this long in the story with feelings like this. I just miss John again I guess :(

The Olive Garden piece is truly a masterful piece of storytelling. Someone should make a kids book out of it. With gifs, somehow.

Tangentially related to the thread, I played some of Well Manicured Man's music on my radio show I guess! Just kinda hucked it into the playlist and so people in their cars got to hear some barely audible (due to radio compression and whatnot) carnival stuff. Yay! Here's a link to the playlist.

omg Matt I didn't recognize you!!!

For content I really hope trolls aren't present in a civilian sense in the post-Scratch universe 'cause that poo poo feels so shark-jumpy to me and it takes away the, like, specialness of the Condesce. If that makes any sense. Even the lusii feel like we're edging toward that a little imo (although I'm having fun with 'em) but your mileage may vary

damn chimera
Jan 31, 2007

EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY

GLOSS posted:

Uh oh...

I'm really curious how he's even going to present the comic in book forum

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
That box holds just one copy of the book.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

drat chimera posted:

I'm really curious how he's even going to present the comic in book forum
I'm hoping for a House of Leaves-esque true novelization with a lot of weird meta stuff.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Everyone wondering how Homestuck can exist in book form is going to feel a little silly when they open it up and go "Oh, right, it's mostly static images and text."

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

omg Matt I didn't recognize you!!!

For content I really hope trolls aren't present in a civilian sense in the post-Scratch universe 'cause that poo poo feels so shark-jumpy to me and it takes away the, like, specialness of the Condesce. If that makes any sense. Even the lusii feel like we're edging toward that a little imo (although I'm having fun with 'em) but your mileage may vary

With things like the husktop and phrases like 'wriggling day' being somewhat common, I think it's safe to assume there are going to be trolls around somehow. Especially after Jane's initial mention of the "Troll Howie Mandel" poster from Little Monsters.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Amateur Sketch posted:

With things like the husktop and phrases like 'wriggling day' being somewhat common, I think it's safe to assume there are going to be trolls around somehow. Especially after Jane's initial mention of the "Troll Howie Mandel" poster from Little Monsters.

There were things on the troll world like Faygo and human words were used by the highbloods without any humans present that don't have any explanation. A tiny bit of cultural cross contamination might be an artifact of being a post-scratch world.

I expect Homestuck Book 1 will be huge enough to kill a cat if you dropped it.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

creationist believer posted:

There were things on the troll world like Faygo and human words were used by the highbloods without any humans present that don't have any explanation. A tiny bit of cultural cross contamination might be an artifact of being a post-scratch world.

This is my hope. Otherwise we're goin' full fanfic and while I'd get used to it I'd be really annoyed and I'd gripe to all my friends and they wouldn't wanna hear it!!!!!

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Supercar Gautier posted:

"Oh, right, it's mostly static images and text."
There's a tiny unbalanced motor embedded in the cover to help simulate gifs.

I'm more interested in how the book is different from the webcomic than how it's the same. Hussie has done some super cool things with the medium and I think that just a straight up presentation of frame and text over and over would be really worse.

Is the book being put out by Topatoco? Because if it is, there's a very strong possiblity that shipping will finally ruin Homestuck.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Supercar Gautier posted:

Everyone wondering how Homestuck can exist in book form is going to feel a little silly when they open it up and go "Oh, right, it's mostly static images and text."
Gifs can't exist in book form though. A direct replication of the comic into book form would be strictly inferior.

The best thing to happen would be to completely rewrite things so that they fit the book medium, which Hussie has implied he was doing.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

JT Jag posted:

Gifs can't exist in book form though. A direct replication of the comic into book form would be strictly inferior.

It's too bad Problem Sleuth didn't have gifs; then we could just look at how he handled gifs in the PS books.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Walliard posted:

It's too bad Problem Sleuth didn't have gifs; then we could just look at how he handled gifs in the PS books.

It did, but it did not have long flashes or interactivity (all those walkarounds).

Hence why it's interesting. (Not sure if you're being sarcastic, responding as if you are. Sorry if you aren't.)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

How often does Homestuck feature a gif that can't be sufficiently conveyed by sequential static frames? Like, I'm sure the charming jittering in many of the panels will be missed, but its absence will not break the story. As for the flashes, well, they're already examples of purely visual nonverbal storytelling. They'll translate very well to arrangements more in the style of conventional comics.

I don't recall Andrew implying that he was going to rewrite the story for the book version, and frankly that sounds like a more gigantic undertaking than can reasonably be expected.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

King of Solomon posted:

It did, but it did not have long flashes or interactivity (all those walkarounds).

Hence why it's interesting. (Not sure if you're being sarcastic, responding as if you are. Sorry if you aren't.)

I was. Admittedly the more complex stuff will be tricky to convey, but I don't think he'll have to worry about that until at least Jade: Retrieve Package.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Some Strange Flea posted:

Is the book being put out by Topatoco? Because if it is, there's a very strong possiblity that shipping will finally ruin Homestuck.
What do you mean?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't recall Andrew implying that he was going to rewrite the story for the book version, and frankly that sounds like a more gigantic undertaking than can reasonably be expected.

He said on formspring that the webcomic was essentially an unedited rough draft, and the books would be edited. Not sure what that means, but yeah, likely doesn't mean extensive rewriting.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

What do you mean?
International shipping costs tend to be pretty high for Topatoco stuff, at least last I checked, I'm just saying that it's less likely I'll be buying the book if it is those folks putting it out.

Also "shipping" has multiple meanings its a

its a pun

sorry

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Some Strange Flea posted:

Considering it was the Topatoco twitter feed that put the picture out, and right on the box itself it says THE TOPATO CORPORATION, I'd say it's a pretty drat good bet they're putting it out.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

GLOSS posted:

We have top men working on it now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Can someone explain to me why people like homestuck? every time I've tried to read this I came away thinking

• Why the gently caress would I want to read chatlogs ever?
  • These pixel animations are somewhat neat, the art style seems alright
  • What the gently caress is with everyone shipping these characters??
  • I have no loving clue what's going on with anything, the plot seems inane.

Help?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Oh no reading is hard, help

[Edit] Ok I'm going to spoil a little bit in order to hopefully offer something constructive.

People read Homestuck because it's long, complex, has great characters and character interactions, and has cool art and flashes and amazing music. The story is called Homestuck because the characters literally never leave their houses. At all. I mean not ever.

We start out with John in his room. He talks to his friends via chatlogs, because none of the characters in this story speak a single word. They literally talk solely through their computers in their homes (don't worry, we DO get to see out their windows sometimes).

Things start to happen. We meet other characters, see their houses, and get some of their personality. Rose and Dave, for instance. They live in totally different places, so even if they did leave home, they would never be able to reach each other in person in any practical way. So chat it is.

Conflict stirs. John has to go downstairs to get a game, but his dad is baking things. Baking. Isn't this enough for you? There's a loving guy cooking stuff in the god damned story, you should be strapped to your loving chair going "more more more" already. But it gets better. John fights his dad in this weird sort of way, then gets the game and goes back upstairs. Because, you know, never leaves the house.

The story has thousands of pages, tens of thousands of words, and all of it takes place from the homes of kids. That's basically why people read Homestuck; it simulates real life almost 100%.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can someone explain to me why people like homestuck? every time I've tried to read this I came away thinking

• Why the gently caress would I want to read chatlogs ever?
  • I have no loving clue what's going on with anything, the plot seems inane.

Help?

Here is your problem hth