Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheNinjaD posted:

Well, how many is "half" and what are they? Not supporting Audio Copy / Audio Paste is a pretty big mark against it for me, anyway.
The modules are on the website, look for "included in release promotion!": http://retronyms.com/devices.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Heh, Animoog went up to $30 and dropped down to $0,99 again, a couple of hours later. What happened there?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

FLX posted:

Heh, Animoog went up to $30 and dropped down to $0,99 again, a couple of hours later. What happened there?
They did say it would be a dollar for a while, and that the price would rise to 10 McRibs later.

Also, it is awesome.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see
Anyone using an Akai MPK Mini with an ipad? With Nanostudio? Any issues?

Planning to pick one up and compose on the road. At the moment I've been using iSequence which is nice for simpler techno stuff but from what I've read it seems nanostudio is the coolest full function sequencer out there, with an imminent ipad update on the way.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Just don't count on the iPad update for Nanostudio too soon. I first heard it was "coming soon" a couple of months ago.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

TheNinjaD posted:

Just don't count on the iPad update for Nanostudio too soon. I first heard it was "coming soon" a couple of months ago.

According to Matt (NS' creator) the iPad update is still on track to be released by the end of the year.

Until then, it's perfectly functional on the iPad right now, aside from the typical 2X jaggies.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Well, screenshots of the NanoStudio iPad update were posted today:

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see
Looks great! Ordered the controller, looking forward to mobile music making!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

haunted sleep posted:

Well, screenshots of the NanoStudio iPad update were posted today:

[Screenshots]
I WANT IT NOW.
Pleaseeeee, Nanostudio is the easiest way I've found to make music for a non-musician because of the flexible loop recording nature of the app.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

I WANT IT NOW.
Pleaseeeee, Nanostudio is the easiest way I've found to make music for a non-musician because of the flexible loop recording nature of the app.

I know how you feel. I don't know anything about making music beyond the very basics. I can't deal with the clutter and feature overload of modern desktop DAWs. NanoStudio manages to include a bunch of cool stuff without making the app feel messy and overwhelming.

I use a lot of ambient stuff in my music, so being able to load long field recordings and samples into Eden and then mess around with them is really entertaining/inspiring.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Oh, wow, that's brilliant. I love that it isn't just a higher definition clone of the phone version.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
holy poo poo
I already wanted an iPad for djay but that new Nanostudio looks incredible. So much more to play with at once. Easier looping would be a blast as well.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Just FYI, lots of apps on sale starting today. Djay, Sunrizer (both iPad and iPhone versions), BeatMaker 2, etc. Check out appshopper.com to track price drops.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I was wondering if there might not be some salles going into the holidays. I was actually expecting more post-Christmas.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

TheNinjaD posted:

I was wondering if there might not be some salles going into the holidays. I was actually expecting more post-Christmas.

Oh definitely. Lower prices makes it much easier to use the app store's "send as gift" option.

I picked up Sample Lab when it was on sale for 99˘ back at the beginning of November and I just got around to playing with it tonight, since I've got a toothache and I'm totally hosed up on painkillers as a result till I can get a dental appointment — so, no NanoStudio (my usual app of choice) right now.

Sample Lab is quick to learn how to use even if you've ever used a groovebox before. I'm still on opiate cloud 9 but I managed to make a respectable sounding 30 second "song". I'm so inspired, I might put aside my NS projects and see if I can complete an EP of low-fi dark hip hop and dubstep

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 28, 2011

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Okay, ran into a bug with Sample Lab 1.6 running iOS 5 on an iPad 2. When I go to upload a mixdown to SoundCloud, it opens Safari and it asks me to confirm that I'd like to allow Sample Lab access to my SoundCloud. I confirm, and the iPad switches back to Sample Lab, where it then crashes instead of uploading. I've mailed the dev(s) to inform them of this.

What I'd like to know is, how can I get my WAV to SoundCloud? My first thought was to use Hokusai, but that app only allows you to share with Dropbox as far as I can tell.

Is there a way I can use Dropbox to get my WAV onto soundcloud? Or maybe email the WAV to them? I'm going nuts trying to crack this.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Use a computer as the middle man. Than way you have it backed up, anyway.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

TheNinjaD posted:

Use a computer as the middle man. Than way you have it backed up, anyway.

Eh, I copied the mixdown and imported it to NanoStudio, assigned it to a pad, hit record, triggered the sample and uploaded the mixdown of that to SoundCloud. It worked, thankfully.

I'm trying to avoid computers for music production. I have an iPad 2, iPhone 4 and a Behringer UCA202 to feed audio from the iPhone to the iPad sometimes. I may get an Akai LPD8 controller for Sample Lab but that's up in the air.

Currently I do have to use my notebook running Audacity to sample movies :(

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

haunted sleep posted:

I may get an Akai LPD8 controller

I've got one of those and the pads are really bad. I had to exchange it once already because some pads would stick or not trigger consistently. The pads of the new one all trigger at different hit strengths which is really annoying.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I can't imagine keeping a computer out of music production.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

FLX posted:

I've got one of those and the pads are really bad. I had to exchange it once already because some pads would stick or not trigger consistently. The pads of the new one all trigger at different hit strengths which is really annoying.

You mean it's velocity sensitive? That's what I want. The reviews on Amazon make it seem like a good controller...

TheNinjaD posted:

I can't imagine keeping a computer out of music production.

I understand that's how most people feel, but dragging a laptop around has alway been an inspiration-killer for me. Working with audio on a touchscreen is enjoyable, and I really like the simplicity of the apps. I could never get into Live, Logic or Reaper. The only desktop app I ever liked was Renoise, which is a tracker. Back in the day, I used to mess with Fasttracker II and ModPlug, so I have experience with trackers and sample based composition. Traditional DAWs and VSTs never worked out for me...

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

haunted sleep posted:

You mean it's velocity sensitive? That's what I want. The reviews on Amazon make it seem like a good controller...

Yes, it's velocity sensitive, but very inconsistently so. Go ahead and try it out though, maybe I was just very unlucky with the two controller's I've had.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
iKaossilator just got updated with iPad support and other stuff (note it's going up in price Dec 1st or so...edit, or not! Sale extended to Dec 31):

quote:

What's New in Version 2.0.0
iKaossilator Version 2 is available now!
Audio export, iPad full-screen support, and many more new features

● Audio Export records and saves your performance, just as you heard it
● iPad native support allows the iKaossilator to fill the iPad’s large 9.7" screen
● “SoundCloud” allows users to share and remix loops with other users worldwide
● “AudioCopy” provides an easy way to copy audio data between musical instrument apps
● Flex Play makes it easy to generate fills and breaks

☐ Audio Export saves your performance as a file
Now you can record your performance in real time, or export a completed loop as an audio file. By sending your creations to a Mac or PC via iTunes, you can share them with your friends or use them in a full-fledged music production. You can also upload them directly to SoundCloud.

☐ iPad native support provides full-screen (9.7") iKaossilator enjoyment
Now you can perform taking full advantage of the iPad's large 9.7" display. Enjoy iKaossilator on your iPhone while riding public transportation, and on your iPad while performing live!

☐ “SoundCloud” allows sharing or remix loops with users worldwide
“SoundCloud” is a music distribution and sharing service that's very popular among musical creators. The loops you create can now be uploaded directly to “SoundCloud” from within the app. If you attach the loop data when doing so, it will be shared to other users' loop lists. Users worldwide will be exposed to new loops they've never heard, and can combine them with their own loops to create remixes. It's a new way of enjoying music by and unleashing your iKaossilator’s potential throughout the world.

☐ “AudioCopy” lets you share audio data between musical instrument apps
Newly added support for “AudioCopy” from Sonoma Wire Works means that you can copy and paste audio data between apps. Audio data you export from iKaossilator can be sent to apps that support AudioPaste.

☐ Flex Play makes it easy to generate fills and breaks
Designed for live performance, the Flex Play feature makes it easy to generate fills or breaks. Touch and hold Length or Tempo buttons, and then try stroking the touchpad. Movement in the X-axis will change the Length of all parts, and movement in the Y-axis will change the Tempo, allowing you to add dynamic changes to your song that will further expand your performance possibilities.

japtor fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 30, 2011

Egg in soup
Nov 29, 2006

Yeah, up yours.
Korg iMS-20 and Electribe just dropped to half price!

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
All of this when I get a big bonus check tomorrow and have taken four days off of work in the middle of December for the purpose of writing and recording music.

So happy.

jwvgoethe
Jan 17, 2011
can someone explain to a complete synth newbie what these Korg apps are and why I should buy them? I've been playing with the guitar amp simulators which are great, but am at a loss about these.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jwvgoethe posted:

can someone explain to a complete synth newbie what these Korg apps are and why I should buy them? I've been playing with the guitar amp simulators which are great, but am at a loss about these.

Because synthesizers are awesome. They take waveforms and pipe it into a speaker, making noises.

They turn your iOS device into an instrument. That is, it fills the role of your guitar.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

jwvgoethe posted:

The iElectribe is a drum machine with a sequencer. It lets you create and arrange drum sounds by shaping basic sound waves (and recorded samples). It's not very hard to learn if you know a little bit about synthesis.

The iMS20 is a monophonic synthesizer (also including a basic drum machine). That means you can only play one note at a time, but again, you can create your own sounds from the ground up by modifying basic sound waves. The synth is super powerful and also quite complex.

The iKaossilator lets you play various instrument samples just by swiping your finger on the touch screen. Lot's of fun and easy to learn.

If you are interested in synths, make sure to read through the first couple of pages of the "How to (re)create a sound" thread. It has great tutorials/exercises for absolute beginners. I also started by reading this thread and after an afternoon of playing around, all those buttons made sense and I didn't want to stop :)

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
A practical example, which includes your guitar would be: Program a drum part and a keyboard part in iMS20 to play along with on guitar. Tada! band in a box.

jwvgoethe
Jan 17, 2011
Cool idea combining these with Ampkit+ which is my guitar app of choice.

I see that the IMS 20 has a keyboard. how would you do a drum part with it?

Can you hook up real musical instruments to the ipad with these apps?

Sorry, I skimmed the thread...

Thanks

edit:
also, if I buy the IMS 20 simulator, is there any reason to also get iElectribe? I understand ikaossilator(sp?) is an entirely different beast.

jwvgoethe fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 30, 2011

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The iMS20 also has drum pads and a little drum synthesis part. The iElectribe is a lot easier to use/jam with though and also comes with some samples.

You can connect USB MIDI controller to the iPad with several accessories, e.g. the camera connection kit.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 30, 2011

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Just buy them all like the rest of us did.

jwvgoethe
Jan 17, 2011
And when I have recorded the various tracks: drums, keyboard, bass, guitar, which app should I use to assemble them into a coherent whole? Garageband? Or is there something better?

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

magiccarpet posted:

Just buy them all like the rest of us did.
This. Exactly this.

I'd also like to point out that I don't know jack poo poo about synthesis but I still do it. I just play with settings and options and fiddle around with them there doohickeys until it sounds cool. It may not be the most efficient method but it is a lot more ADD-friendly than learning how it actually works.

Oh, and saying the iMS-20 is complex is an understatement. Holy poo poo, there are cables. What the hell. It's awesome and terrifying at the same time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DS-10 is what finally allowed synthesizers "click" for me, and based on the screenshots, I think the iMS-20 should about the same. I just don't have an iPad to be able to try it out.

Korg seems to do a better job of making synths accessible than anyone else I've encountered.

I just wish they'd put out a synth for small screen iOS devices. :argh:

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

TheNinjaD posted:

I'd also like to point out that I don't know jack poo poo about synthesis but I still do it. I just play with settings and options and fiddle around with them there doohickeys until it sounds cool. It may not be the most efficient method but it is a lot more ADD-friendly than learning how it actually works.

Yeah this is why I stopped buying synths after I got Animoog. I know what each part of a synth does, I'm just really bad at figuring out how to make the sounds I want. Animoog is really easy to get cool sounds with, though, even if you know the bare minimum about synthesis.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I have almost every single app in this thread and only mess around for fun with them, but I regret nothing!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jakewastaken posted:

I have almost every single app in this thread and only mess around for fun with them, but I regret nothing!
:hfive:

Out of all the stuff I've gotten I've probably had he most fun with TapDJ, just let it record randomly during conversation then screw around with that for a while. Sounds incredibly stupid (and I'm sure it is) but it can be surprisingly fun. I'd rather use DJay for it but it doesn't do recording from mic from what I can tell.

jwvgoethe
Jan 17, 2011
Is there something equivalent to ampkit for piano/keyboard sounds? I found an old usb midi keyboard controller and would like to take it to my band's practice and get sound from my ipad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

jwvgoethe posted:

Is there something equivalent to ampkit for piano/keyboard sounds? I found an old usb midi keyboard controller and would like to take it to my band's practice and get sound from my ipad

Try it with the official Apple Camera Connection Kit. There are various Apps that can be played with a USB MIDI controller. Pianist Pro, iMS-20, Sunrizer, Animoog, GarageBand, etc.

• Locked thread