Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

deviltry posted:

Paris is Burning
This 1980s documentary is like a dance and culture documentary. If you've seen Madonna's "Vogue" video, this is where she got the idea from. Chronicles the ball culture of New York City and the African American, Latino, gay and transgender communities involved in it. It also does a thoughtful job of exploring race, gender, and class issues that were problematic of the time.

This is amazing. Among other things, gritty pre-Giuliani NYC is captured perfectly. It really gives great insight into the principals. Is there any website that sums up what has happened to the people in this film? I understand many of them have passed away from AIDS by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zwabu posted:

This is amazing. Among other things, gritty pre-Giuliani NYC is captured perfectly. It really gives great insight into the principals. Is there any website that sums up what has happened to the people in this film? I understand many of them have passed away from AIDS by now.

Oh, I'm glad you asked.

Also the House of Ninja has been featured on America's Next Top Model, IIRC. Rupaul's Drag Race features many, many Paris is Burning related shoutouts, including my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqeJ2qNIcqg

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 28, 2011

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
Carmen Xtravaganza (one of the ladies on the beach) is still alive. I think Junior Labeija is (the MC with the glasses). Sol Penda'vis is still around (one of the military guys). I've found a video interview of Freddie Penda'vis from '07.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk0G7LETp-Y
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjI57x7bAg He talks a little bit about Dorian's mummy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I forgot about Freddie, the scene in Roy Rogers might be the best in the whole movie.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Brief Encounter is a heartbreaking romance about a British housewife who struggles with her emotions as she has an affair with a married man, directed by David Lean and based on a Noel Coward play. There's some excellent cinematography and direction, but most of the power comes from Celia Johnson's performance:

I melted.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
For some reason, no one has mentioned Breakfast At Tiffany's. It's from 61, stars Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard and looks amazing in HD. Hell the only reason I watched it in the first place is because I had heard it looked great.

But it also jumped up into my top ten movies ever, maybe even five, fighting it out with Yojimbo, Dead Alive, and some others.

Audrey Hepburn does an amazing job playing an aloof but seriously disturbed and troubled young woman who isn't quite sure what she wants except for what the media tells her. She bounces off Peppard wonderfully with his dry and sraight act that's willing to get a bit wet.

The story itself is pretty good, as I found myself going from hating Audrey to hating Paul and back and forth again until I realized I loved both of them. Few movies are able to pluck at my emotions like this one does. If you like good movies, I recommend this whole heartedly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This kind of ruined it for me

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Not gonna lie, I have no defense for that. I think I had actually kind of pushed that out of my head, it's such a stain on an otherwise great movie.

My only defense, or really the movies only defense, is that was kind of par for the course back then. Get a white actor looking for work, give em buck teeth and tell em to run with it.

I'm not saying it's ok, it's incredibly offensive. But it was a different time back then. Other than that guy, it's a great movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People still got offended about racism in 1961. "It was a different time back then" is an awful defense.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Bluetooth human being posted:

Not gonna lie, I have no defense for that. I think I had actually kind of pushed that out of my head, it's such a stain on an otherwise great movie.

My only defense, or really the movies only defense, is that was kind of par for the course back then. Get a white actor looking for work, give em buck teeth and tell em to run with it.

I'm not saying it's ok, it's incredibly offensive. But it was a different time back then. Other than that guy, it's a great movie.
Basically everyone involved in the production really regretted the whole thing. Rooney is probably the least apologetic but still said he wouldn't have done it if he had known it would upset so many people.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mu Zeta posted:

This and the last ten minutes or so killed the movie for me. But prior to that I was really enjoying it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

weekly font posted:

This and the last ten minutes or so killed the movie for me. But prior to that I was really enjoying it.

Like I said, I have no defense for it. Those parts are really offensive, but it's otherwise a fantastic movie.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

I wanted to take a second to recommend:

This is a really fascinating documentary about Donald Crowhurst, a British gentleman who decided that he would participate in a race to circumnavigate the world solo without stopping. Only problem being is that Donald Crowhurst was only an amateur sailor at best. This documentary illustrates very clearly how utter isolation can drive someone to extremes, and the tangled web that Donald weaved (and got caught up in) when he actually participated in the race is some stranger than fiction material. I'd recommend you not learn the history of Donald Crowhurst beforehand, and instead just watch the documentary as it will be much more surprising with what is revealed throughout it.

Deep Water - Netflix Instant Link

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Like I said, I have no defense for it. Those parts are really offensive, but it's otherwise a fantastic movie.

Hell even the director said he hated it.

Wikipedia posted:

Since the late 1990s the portrayal by Mickey Rooney of I.Y. Yunioshi has been subject to increasing protest by members of the Asian-American community and others. Rooney wore makeup and a prosthetic mouthpiece to change his features to a caricatured approximation of a Japanese person, which many consider anywhere from misguided to overtly racist.

In his audio commentary for the DVD release, producer Richard Shepherd said that at the time of production as well in retrospect, he wanted to recast the role "not because he [Rooney] didn't play the part well" but because Shepherd thought the part of Mr. Yunioshi should be performed by an actor of Japanese ethnicity; it was director Blake Edwards' decision to keep Rooney. In a "making-of" for the 45th anniversary edition DVD release, Shepherd repeatedly apologizes, saying, "If we could just change Mickey Rooney, I'd be thrilled with the movie." Director Blake Edwards stated, "Looking back, I wish I had never done it...and I would give anything to be able to recast it, but it's there, and onward and upward." In a 2008 interview about the film, 87-year-old Rooney said he was heartbroken about the criticism: "Blake Edwards...wanted me to do it because he was a comedy director. They hired me to do this overboard, and we had fun doing it....Never in all the more than 40 years after we made it – not one complaint. Every place I've gone in the world people say, 'God, you were so funny.' Asians and Chinese come up to me and say, 'Mickey you were out of this world.'" Rooney also said that if he'd known people would have been so offended, "I wouldn't have done it.

Pretty much it's hated by everyone. I personally find it not very offensive, but just off color.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I can't recall what thread it was in, but some goon mentioned that they are able to enjoy the movie by pretending that Mickey Rooney's character is an incredibly crazy white guy who just thinks he's Asian.

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
And on that note, White Dog is up. Kristy McNichol takes in a dog that she hit and later finds out it's been trained to attack black people. Apparently this movie got a lot of flack for it's subject matter, but after watching it, I don't see what the deal was. It seems like the hype was greater than what the movie presented. It's an alright film.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Orunitier posted:

And on that note, White Dog is up. Kristy McNichol takes in a dog that she hit and later finds out it's been trained to attack black people. Apparently this movie got a lot of flack for it's subject matter, but after watching it, I don't see what the deal was. It seems like the hype was greater than what the movie presented. It's an alright film.

Netflix synopsis posted:

Burl Ives co-stars

...I must see this.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

So all this racism, it's led me to Stir Crazy.

Pryor and Wilder are partners in terrible crime and go through the punishments together. God damned are there few comedy duos that work as well as they do.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

So all this racism, it's led me to Stir Crazy.

Pryor and Wilder are partners in terrible crime and go through the punishments together. God damned are there few comedy duos that work as well as they do.

Weren't they also together in a movie where one of them was blind and the other one was deaf? I think John Ritter or somebody like that was also in it as a lunatic that thought he could kill people by pointing at them and shouting "bang!", unless I'm mixing up my movies.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams just went up. Really wish could've seen it in theaters in 3D but oh well.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I've noticed that a lot of the new stuff thats been added in the last month or so won't play on my xbox. It shows the movies in my queue but instead of playing them it gives me the "available on Dvd only" option. I can watch them on my PC. Anyone else having this problem?

Also for a suggestion, everyone should watch Dylan Dog: Dead of Night. From what I understand it got middling to poor reviews, but in my opinion its a pretty neat horror comedy action hybrid thing.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Wade Wilson posted:

Weren't they also together in a movie where one of them was blind and the other one was deaf? I think John Ritter or somebody like that was also in it as a lunatic that thought he could kill people by pointing at them and shouting "bang!", unless I'm mixing up my movies.

I think you are mixing up your movies. The John Ritter movie where he points his finger & yell "bang" is Real Men, with Jim Belushi. It's not available on Netflix.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams just went up. Really wish could've seen it in theaters in 3D but oh well.

Yes! I was looking for this just a few days ago, this is great news.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Wade Wilson posted:

You're thinking of See No Evil, Hear No Evil, which I believe is also on Netflix as well.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So the (awesome)movie Blown Away with Jeff Bridges, is listed as coming soon to streaming. I can't find any info on feedflix as to when, does anyone else have a better idea?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I swear I saw Blown Away available on Instant Watch as recently as last week.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

lizardman posted:

I swear I saw Blown Away available on Instant Watch as recently as last week.

You might've seen the lovely Blown Away with Corey Haim and Nicole Eggert, it's terrible.

NetFlix just added some great stuff today, including a couple favorite 80s Horror movies of mine: Slugs and C.H.U.D., both of which I highly recommend if you're in the mood for some gory 80s fun. They also added House, House II, Heathers, Dead Heat and Vamp, all pretty good except House II which I haven't seen.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't remember if it was mentioned here, but Scarface is up now (Al Pacino version).

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Wilhelm Scream posted:

You might've seen the lovely Blown Away with Corey Haim and Nicole Eggert, it's terrible.

NetFlix just added some great stuff today, including a couple favorite 80s Horror movies of mine: Slugs and C.H.U.D., both of which I highly recommend if you're in the mood for some gory 80s fun. They also added House, House II, Heathers, Dead Heat and Vamp, all pretty good except House II which I haven't seen.

Haha, sweet. Thanks for the heads up on Dead Heat - my favorite cheesy-rear end 80s horror movie. Definitely a guilty pleasure of mine - it's so intentionally crappy but Piscopo as the comic relief and the butcher shop scene are worth the price of admission alone.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo I love Dead Heat. I haven't watched it since the days of weekend afternoon TNT.

Netflix has two listings for Blown Away, one with the lovely Coreys, the other the good one, but the Corey movie is currently behind both listings which pisses me off to no end.

Dylan Dog isn't unwatchable. I love Brandon Routh but aside from a handful of moments that made me chuckle pretty hard, the movie is pretty mediocre. Directing is lackluster, tons of acting talent wasted, but still worth a watch if you like similar movies.

I'm excited that The Siege finally made its way onto streaming.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I just came in to recommend Slugs. This was directed by the same guy who made one of my favorite slashers of all time, Pieces. While its nowhere near as great Pieces its still an incredibly gory, goofy movie about... SLUGS. One of the major themes of the movie seems to be about how bad alcohol is because it seems like everytime someone decides to drink, bad stuff happens (slugs eat them).

If anyone knows anything about the director, Juan Piquer Simón, I would love to know more.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Just started White Material, a French film from last year about a lady caught in the middle of a civil war in Africa. It had better be good!

Also echoing happiness that Cave of Forgotten Dreams got added!

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

foodfight posted:

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

Do you like human misery? Cry and laugh along with West Virginia's most famous hillbillies. There is some absolutely MESSED UP stuff in this documentary.

Thank you so much for this recommendation! I've seen it at least 5 times already. Last night my friends and I called Jesco White on the phone, he was a really nice guy!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

foodfight posted:

I just came in to recommend Slugs. This was directed by the same guy who made one of my favorite slashers of all time, Pieces. While its nowhere near as great Pieces its still an incredibly gory, goofy movie about... SLUGS. One of the major themes of the movie seems to be about how bad alcohol is because it seems like everytime someone decides to drink, bad stuff happens (slugs eat them).

If anyone knows anything about the director, Juan Piquer Simón, I would love to know more.

I saw this movie when I was a kid, and for years, years I was terrified to eat a salad that had lettuce in it. Romaine was ok.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas is up!!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Can anyone recommend some good Kung-Fu movies on Netflix streaming?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Return of the Killer Tomatoes apparently just went up recently as well! Or some time since the last time I checked, which was at the end of August, probably. I haven't seen it since Comedy Central used to play it fairly often back in the mid-to-late 90s, and have never seen the first or third. Watch it for John Astin as the mad scientist, a young George Clooney, and the ingenuity displayed when halfway through the production runs out of money.

And of course, "Big Breasted Girls Go to the Beach and Take Their Tops Off."

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Can anyone recommend some good Kung-Fu movies on Netflix streaming?

Some old classics from Bruce Lee and Jacky Chan (if the movies being rather old doesn't bother you):

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Chinese_Connection/9366369?trkid=496624

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Enter_the_Dragon/60036838?trkid=2361637

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Drunken_Master/60000221?trkid=496624

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Drunken Master because the dub was just so terrible, so much worse than even normal old Kung-Fu movies. Plus the humor fell really flat. I'll check the others out, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Drunken Master because the dub was just so terrible, so much worse than even normal old Kung-Fu movies. Plus the humor fell really flat. I'll check the others out, though.

For what it's worth, Chinese Connection is by far my favorite Bruce Lee flick. Enter the Dragon is of course much more famous but the fighting scenes in CC are better and more intense IMHO.

• Locked thread