Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Charlie Brooker has another article talking about Black Mirror in even more detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

dos4gw posted:

Not everyone in the country thinks that these public sector workers should have gone on strike and it infuriates me to think that so many people striking honestly think that they're seen as being 'in the right' by the public at large.

The majority of people support the strikes, sooooo

Also the quote you have there is bollocks. The numbers are either wrong or taken so far out of context to be deliberately misleading.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

dos4gw posted:

They are not 'normal'. I was glad that these people are getting so upset about what Clarkson said - particularly the ridiculously childish, "we're going to the police!!".

Not everyone in the country thinks that these public sector workers should have gone on strike and it infuriates me to think that so many people striking honestly think that they're seen as being 'in the right' by the public at large.

This comment on an article that I saw sums up the situation perfectly:

Yes, the manner in which Clarkson said what he said isn't exactly laudable, but neither is going on strike and meaning that 6 in 10 state schools are closed down. A lot of union spokesmen have placed loads of emphasis on the importance of what they do. Someone had a go at Clarkson for "driving fast cars for a living" for example. If they do have this responsibility (i.e. doing 'proper', 'important' work) then they should respect this and continue to work rather than acting like a children and moaning "IT'S NOT FAIR" and going on strike but talking as if it's the government's fault that access to schools and hospitals has been disrupted.

The public at large do support the strikes. 61% in a BBC commissioned poll this week.

Also, the figures in that quote are nonsense. For a start you can't compare the average wage across the total of all the millions of different jobs in the public sector with the total of all of the private sector. That's obviously not like for like.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Cerv posted:

The public at large do support the strikes. 61% in a BBC commissioned poll this week.

Also, the figures in that quote are nonsense. For a start you can't compare the average wage across the total of all the millions of different jobs in the public sector with the total of all of the private sector. That's obviously not like for like.

Well, no, it is like for like. It's like for like in a really small sample but it's like for like in the example that he used.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Sion posted:

Well, no, it is like for like. It's like for like in a really small sample but it's like for like in the example that he used.

What?

quote:

The public sector average wage is now £23k versus the private sectors £20k.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm striking against politics in the TV thread.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

dos4gw posted:

:words: Bloody strikers

I've got two words for you, Harrison fuckin' Bergeron.

Back to UK TV, has anybody else read 'Facts and Fancies' by Armando Iannucci? I started reading it today and a lot of the stuff in there went in 'The Armando Iannucci shows' so if you enjoyed the show I'd get the book and vice-versa.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Charlie Brooker has another article talking about Black Mirror in even more detail.

Oh, I am very much looking forward to Episode 3: The Entire History of You. The premise is solid and the writer, Jesse Armstrong, is a favourite of mine.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Z-Magic posted:

I've got two words for you, Harrison fuckin' Bergeron.

Back to UK TV, has anybody else read 'Facts and Fancies' by Armando Iannucci? I started reading it today and a lot of the stuff in there went in 'The Armando Iannucci shows' so if you enjoyed the show I'd get the book and vice-versa.

I heard the radio show which was presumably just him reading those out (didn't realise there was a book actually) and it was quite funny.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

marktheando posted:

Wow it was only 6 out of 10 schools closed in England? In Scotland it was 99%. :scotland:

This is a classic example of lies, damned lies and statistics. My stepmother is a primary school teacher; her school taught no lessons whatsoever on Wednesday. Surely this counts as being closed, right? Not so fast, my friend! Not everyone who works in a school is a teacher; some of them are administrative staff who are in another union (or no union), some of them went into work, therefore the school was not "closed". Would love to know what the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th schools were actually doing.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006
Yeah my aunt works in a school and one of the scabs boasted to her that she'd be get a head start on her xmas shopping online, since most of the classes were cancelled. While all her co-workers were losing a days pay to fight for the government to honour her own employment contract. Still I suppose it's just a micro-level reflection of the same short sightedness that causes those who benefit from labour protection laws to attack the unions that fought for them.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

Yeah my aunt works in a school and one of the scabs boasted to her that she'd be get a head start on her xmas shopping online, since most of the classes were cancelled. While all her co-workers were losing a days pay to fight for the government to honour her own employment contract. Still I suppose it's just a micro-level reflection of the same short sightedness that causes those who benefit from labour protection laws to attack the unions that fought for them.
How's she getting a day's shopping done if she's crossing the picket line?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Hoops posted:

How's she getting a day's shopping done if she's crossing the picket line?

on the internet

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Hey, if we're picking out lies from that article quote:

quote:

The pension reforms are very modest and don`t affect anyone on a wage below £15k. So unions claiming dinner ladies, cleaners and the like will be affected (as the worst off) are lying.

I'm a cleaner, I make more than £15k.

However I won't really be affected because I'm 24 and there'll be at least two more pension reforms before I even come close to retiring.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
ta for the explanations. I presume, downloading stuff on Sky Go is covered by the "not watching live TV thing" as well?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I just turned the tv on and was greeted with Lembit Opik sitting on a toilet pouring gunge on his head as a mean of revealing the results of a poll about 'I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here' on This Morning. Keep it up ITV.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
You'd think being a Lib Dem MP would open up a better world of career opportunities than the one he's ventured into.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Irisi posted:

Oh, I am very much looking forward to Episode 3: The Entire History of You. The premise is solid and the writer, Jesse Armstrong, is a favourite of mine.

I wonder what input Konnie Huq, former Xtra Factor host, had in the second episode, which is about an X-Factor style show, especially as it was rumoured Simon Cowell had her sacked.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Charlie Brooker has been doing more interviews, and if you follow him on Twitter you might be interested in this bit

quote:

The ultimate focus group: four words that will make any creative person shudder. Especially as so many people who take to the internet are so obviously unhinged, as Brooker has discovered whenever he makes the mistake of using his own Twitter feed to make jokes.

“In recent weeks I’ve amused myself and it’s amazing how many people take it really seriously – getting really annoyed and asking “are you having a breakdown?” and I was pissing myself. I was annoying car owners by claiming I’d never been in a car.” Later that night he told followers that he planned to take his very first car ride and that he was amazed to find cars contained seats. That people took him seriously and got angry is a source of amusement and concern in equal measure. Though Brooker tends to go with the former, saying that having once received death threats for a column he wrote he tends not to take the haters all that seriously. Still, it’s odd how people behave.

“People do odd things on Twitter that they wouldn’t do to your face, especially if you’ve been on the telly or anything like that, if they’re pissed off they will “@” message you and say “I’m unfollowing Charlie Brooker because he’s a boring prick” and it’s like they’ve sort of turned up and said it… Sometimes I just find it funny and think “what is wrong with you?” I say a lot of vitriolic things and that’s something I’m known for, but I don’t go up to people and say them and it fascinates me that often people aren’t aware of the difference. It’s as if people think there isn’t a real person at the other end and I find that more interesting than upsetting.”

Digital Spy also has an interview.

[edit] How did I miss this?

quote:

Charlie Brooker detective spoof 'Touch of Cloth' arrives on Sky1

Charlie Brooker has produced a spoof British detective show titled A Touch of Cloth for Sky1.

John Hannah, Suranne Jones, Julian Rhind-Tutt and Adrian Bower are among the cast for the classic cop show parody.

Based on Boris Starling's Messiah, Brooker and Daniel Maier (Harry Hill's TV Burp) have penned the script, which was commissioned by Sky's Head of Comedy Lucy Lumsden.

"Witty, naughty and unashamedly silly - Charlie Brooker gives the British TV detective genre a right good comedy kicking with this one-off special for Sky 1 HD," Lumsden said.

Hannah stars as DCI Jack Cloth, a maverick, heavy-drinking loner, who throws himself into work following the mysterious death of his wife, while Jones is cast as no-nonsense sidekick DC Anne Oldman. It is billed as "an all-encompassing parody of every police procedural ever written".

Produced by Zeppotron, Endemol UK's comedy and drama production arm, A Touch of Cloth is a one-off two-hour show.

Brooker said: "After you've seen A Touch of Cloth you'll never be able to watch another detective show again. Not because it's a devastating p*ss-take, but because you'll have smashed your TV to pieces in a disappointed fury."

Annabel Jones, exec producer at Zeppotron, added: "Having tackled zombies in Dead Set, A Touch of Cloth is a very funny and reliably corpse-strewn homage to the best of British cop shows.

"We're delighted to have such a wonderful cast and such a great detective in John Hannah, who we're sure will get to the bottom of things. But not too quickly, or the final 15 minutes will consist of awkward whistling."

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 2, 2011

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I thought A Touch of Cloth never made it off the ground.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

ta for the explanations. I presume, downloading stuff on Sky Go is covered by the "not watching live TV thing" as well?

If you watch live TV on Sky Go, then you need one. If you don't, you don't need one. That's offical word from Sky for it anyway.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I saw Black Mirror early. It is amazing and you should definitely watch it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

reality_groove posted:

Can we do a separate thread for it? We could do live watch-alongs like those US shows

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

reality_groove posted:

Did you see all three episodes?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

No, just the first

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

cloudchamber posted:

You'd think being a Lib Dem MP would open up a better world of career opportunities than the one he's ventured into.

I personally hope Keith Vaz has to gently caress a crocodile. In the mouth. When it is his turn in the show.

gently caress Keith Vaz.

Also, I'm pretty hyped now Brooker has more comedy in store for us hurray.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's a two minute clip from the first episode of Black Mirror on the Channel 4 website, looks really good.

finna udders
Jan 28, 2005

mu
Here's an easy guide to whether or not you should pay your TV license:

IF
You plan on watching TV.
THEN
You should pay your TV license.

If what you're asking is 'can I avoid paying it?' however, then the answer is yes, easily.
You can easily avoid paying the TV licence.
Don't, though.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s89/skins/news/a349737/chris-addison-were-planning-to-film-the-thick-of-it-in-spring.html

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Taear posted:

If you watch live TV on Sky Go, then you need one. If you don't, you don't need one. That's offical word from Sky for it anyway.

A device not plugged into the mains technically doesn't need one, I thought.

Also, everyone has missed the point of what Clarkson said. He was joking about BBC impartiality. But gently caress context, eh?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
gently caress yeah THAT is how you end a loving episode of Eastenders. There was even like a 3 second pause before the drums kicked in.

quote:

Also, everyone has missed the point of what Clarkson said. He was joking about BBC impartiality. But gently caress context, eh?

The D&D UK thread picked up on that too.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Eeeeeeeeeeeee

Over the past couple of years it's become a family tradition to watch all the episodes of The Thick of It on Boxing Day while porking out on leftovers. So happy it's coming back.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Bring back Langham :mad:

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Bring back Langham :mad:

Was reading 'Facts and Fancies' by Armando (know I mentioned it earlier) and it featured a character called 'Peter Manion', although he wasn't an MP but rather a man who had an implant that constantly played music in his head.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Him And Her is oddly still not on the iPlayer?

Am I cracking up or are they airing it later?

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 2, 2011

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

SeanBeansShako posted:

Him And Her is oddly still not on the iPlayer?

Am I cracking up or are they airing it later?
For some bizarre reason they put it up and then took it down. I watched it on iPlayer on either Tuesday or Wednesday, then tried to watch a bit of it again yesterday and couldn't find it. You can probably find it on some other streaming site though

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Fatkraken posted:

gently caress yeah THAT is how you end a loving episode of Eastenders. There was even like a 3 second pause before the drums kicked in.
I hope it's the start of Yusef getting completely hosed, especially now he's a wife to be beater.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Brown Moses posted:

I hope it's the start of Yusef getting completely hosed, especially now he's a wife to be beater.

It's apparently going to be a very Masoodey christmas, I do know the "big event" of the period involves Yusef

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Buzzcocks was alright this week, Tinie Temper was actually a decent host and he has a pretty cool voice.
Also Pixie Lott is so utterly beautiful, my god. Marry me, Pixie.

Although Joey Page is really annoying, I hope never to see him again.

(I'm booking a holiday to scunthorpe as I type)

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Moogulus Caesar posted:

Here's an easy guide to whether or not you should pay your TV license:

IF
You plan on watching TV.
THEN
You should pay your TV license.

If what you're asking is 'can I avoid paying it?' however, then the answer is yes, easily.
You can easily avoid paying the TV licence.
Don't, though.

This. Its not often I'm driven to pay more than I can get away with but love of the BBC should be reason enough for anyone.