Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

PissChrist posted:

My dog does this weird thing where she'll pick up a mouth full of food, carry it from the kitchen to the middle of the living room, set it down, then eat it off the floor. I dont mind that she does this im more just curious as to why. Anyone have any ideas?

My dog does this also, but it's rare we feed her in a dish. We usually give her meals in a food-dispensing toy in the room that we're in. She also does it when I give her a fish oil vitamin. She takes it from me and then goes into the living room, spits it on the floor, and then eats it.

Conclusion: dogs are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

Kiri koli posted:

My dog does this also, but it's rare we feed her in a dish. We usually give her meals in a food-dispensing toy in the room that we're in. She also does it when I give her a fish oil vitamin. She takes it from me and then goes into the living room, spits it on the floor, and then eats it.

Conclusion: dogs are weird.

Moxie does this with fish oil capsules too! She takes it away and eats/spits out several times. Sometimes she tosses it in the air and jumps in happy circles around it.

Dogs are weird, but also hilarious

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

That's awesome. :3: Once we bought a different brand and when Psyche bit it, it squirted on her face. It must have gotten on her whiskers because she went NUTS trying to get it off, rubbing against every thing in sight.

We went back to the old brand after that so she wouldn't traumatize herself over some vitamins.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Hey PI, what size dog crate do I need?

Her measurements are abooooooooooout.......18inches high including ears, 26inches long including tail. I might be being generous but not by much, she is a 10 lb chihuahua.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OX64P8
I'm looking at all the midwest sizes so picking from that would be great... unless theres a better crate at the same prices. Budgets under 100 (including a mat too if they are cheap...otherwise..towels)!

Malalol fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 29, 2011

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Malalol posted:

Hey PI, what size dog crate do I need?

Her measurements are abooooooooooout.......18inches high including ears, 26inches long including ears. I might be being generous but not by much, she is a 10 lb chihuahua.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OX64P8
I'm looking at all the midwest sizes so picking from that would be great... unless theres a better crate at the same prices. Budgets under 100 (including a mat too if they are cheap...otherwise..towels)!
A 42" crate (the default selection on your link) is way way too big. The crate should be just big enough to stand, turn around, and lay down. A chihuahua would need maybe a 24" crate at most (measure the length, most brands go 24, 30, 36, 42 inches, but have all different heights and widths). Quick Googling will find you some better charts and such.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Not sure that I should start a new thread, but if I don't get an answer soon, I will. My dogs got a hold of pine cones today. Should I be concerned?

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof

picklejars posted:

Not sure that I should start a new thread, but if I don't get an answer soon, I will. My dogs got a hold of pine cones today. Should I be concerned?

In what way? Did she chew, swallow, just lick at them? If whole then I'd be a little worried as they do tend to be a bit "spikey" and it probably wouldn't be nice coming out, chewing obviously still has the concern of possibly swallowing the spikey bits and getting cut at some point but less likely, the most likely and obvious advice would be to phone up the vets, explain and ask their opinion on it, that's how I deal with anything I'm not sure of, I just ask if I should bring them in or if I can just watch them and see what happens, they won't tell me to come in unless they're genuinely concerned.

She won't get poisoned by them or anything if that's your concern though so it all depends on what she did with said pine cones. I hope she's okay though, if it's been a few hours and she's not complaining I'd imagine she'll be fine and it'll just pass through.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Yeah, they just chewed them. There is pine cone stuff everywhere! I called a friend who worked at a vet and she said about the same thing. They are fine, so I'm no longer worried.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Do those housebreaking/pheromone spray things work for training to go on a certain spot? I've always wondered that, but now I also have a related question.

I need to train my dog to go on a weeweepad... would that help? I'm not around most of the day, I can take her out before work, and my family can take her out midday/afternoon and in the evening. I can take her out once I get home. I'm going to have an official crate but my family seems most...reluctant to use it. You know how that goes. So I can't expect her to be in it when I get home. She is for the most part housetrained...when shes out the door, she goes immediately and doesn't go in the house with people around. But once people are getting ready for bed and, shes not in the crate, annnnd if she has to go, she will go. So I would like for her to have a spot to go in, with a pad down if she needs.

Yes, Im aware that its not the best thing, but its the next best thing if people can't take her out enough/or not using her crate.

MarlaSinger
May 11, 2009
Very Important Cat Question:

I have a seven month old cat. Up until recently she was living in a friend's garage, waiting on the completion of my apartment. While living in the garage she used her litter box regularly with the "top" both on and off, while the box was super clean or super dirty. She was just a regular poopin' in the box kinda cat.

Last week I moved her to the apartment. She used the litter box one time, then began pooping in the closet. In an effort to appease her, I moved the box to her closet corner, thinking that if she wants to poop there, that's fine, just do it in the box. She pooped all around the litter box, and then later, in the other closet. I cleaned up her poops and sprayed fabric deodorizer all over the carpet. She did it again anyway.

As of tonight I have locked her in the bathroom with her litter box (and of course, food and water.) But, if tomorrow I wake up and there are poops on the floor, what do I do?

TL,DR: How do I make a housebroken cat use a litter box when she doesn't want to???

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

MarlaSinger posted:

Very Important Cat Question:

I have a seven month old cat. Up until recently she was living in a friend's garage, waiting on the completion of my apartment. While living in the garage she used her litter box regularly with the "top" both on and off, while the box was super clean or super dirty. She was just a regular poopin' in the box kinda cat.

Last week I moved her to the apartment. She used the litter box one time, then began pooping in the closet. In an effort to appease her, I moved the box to her closet corner, thinking that if she wants to poop there, that's fine, just do it in the box. She pooped all around the litter box, and then later, in the other closet. I cleaned up her poops and sprayed fabric deodorizer all over the carpet. She did it again anyway.

As of tonight I have locked her in the bathroom with her litter box (and of course, food and water.) But, if tomorrow I wake up and there are poops on the floor, what do I do?

TL,DR: How do I make a housebroken cat use a litter box when she doesn't want to???

Are you using the same kind of litter? What litter are you using? I would try something like Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. I'd also make sure you clean the area she is pooping in with an enzymatic cleaner. You could try Feliway as well to see if it helps, although I'd try the other two first. I'd also have at least two boxes available if she is the only cat. Has she been to a vet recently? This is also a good resource with some ideas.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/Housesoiling.html

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Well, I found my first flea on Teddy. I spent a good hour searching his fur afterward (he's blonde, so everything shows up very easily), and I only found the one flea but five or six sections of his hair had little brown spots which I presume were flea poop :(. I live in an apartment building and want to think he may have just picked one up from another dog outside, but I understand it's very unlikely that there's just one on him/in the apartment.

As a first-time pet owner, I'm now freaking out about the thousands of eggs I likely have in my bed, couch and carpets. It just so happens that this morning (of all days) he started his Frontline flea prevention medication so hopefully that helps. Other than vacuuming and doing lots of laundry, what else should I be doing? I can't even give him a bath since the flea medication needs to be on his skin for 24 hours. When I can bathe him- should I bother with any medicated shampoos? Any other washing ideas/product recommendations? I can't stop itching! drat you, creepy crawly fleas.

amethystbliss fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 1, 2011

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

amethystbliss posted:

Well, I found my first flea on Teddy. I spent a good hour searching his fur afterward (he's blonde, so everything shows up very easily), and I only found the one flea but five or six sections of his hair had little brown spots which I presume were flea poop :(. I live in an apartment building and want to think he may have just picked one up from another dog outside, but I understand it's very unlikely that there's just one on him/in the apartment.

As a first-time pet owner, I'm now freaking out about the thousands of eggs I likely have in my bed, couch and carpets. It just so happens that this morning (of all days) he started his Frontline flea prevention medication so hopefully that helps. Other than vacuuming and doing lots of laundry, what else should I be doing? I can't even give him a bath since the flea medication needs to be on his skin for 24 hours. When I can bathe him- should I bother with any medicated shampoos? Any other washing ideas/product recommendations? I can't stop itching! drat you, creepy crawly fleas.

Check out the Flea treatment and prevention megathread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3418882

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So my 1.5 year old cat Izzy has recently (the last few days) become very affectionate. Normally she only seeks attention once every couple weeks and doesn't like sitting on my lap. All of a sudden she's coming up to me to be petted several times a day and if I lay on the couch she'll sleep on me.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like this change in behavior, but I've read that changes in a cat's behavior can be indicative of a health problem, but most the changes I see cited are negative changes (become more withdrawn, eating less, etc). Should I be concerned or is she finally warming up to me?

I have two cats, Izzy and Cash, and they are my first cats. Cash has been very affectionate from the start. Cash is male, Izzy is female, and I've read that females tend to be more independent than males so I figured this was just personality differences.

I'm planning on going to vet tomorrow, unless someone tells me this is a normal change?

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

eggsovereasy posted:

So my 1.5 year old cat Izzy has recently (the last few days) become very affectionate. Normally she only seeks attention once every couple weeks and doesn't like sitting on my lap. All of a sudden she's coming up to me to be petted several times a day and if I lay on the couch she'll sleep on me.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like this change in behavior, but I've read that changes in a cat's behavior can be indicative of a health problem, but most the changes I see cited are negative changes (become more withdrawn, eating less, etc). Should I be concerned or is she finally warming up to me?

I have two cats, Izzy and Cash, and they are my first cats. Cash has been very affectionate from the start. Cash is male, Izzy is female, and I've read that females tend to be more independent than males so I figured this was just personality differences.

I'm planning on going to vet tomorrow, unless someone tells me this is a normal change?

This is every cat during winter in my experience. It's cold, you are warm.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

wraithgar posted:

This is every cat during winter in my experience. It's cold, you are warm.

Ha, so simple.

I'll keep an eye for any thing else weird, thanks.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I know this question will be answered with "go to the vet", but we were just there four days ago and he didn't seem concerned...

We had our kitty spayed about 4 weeks ago, and they took the stitched out about a week and a half ago. I'm starting to worry about how this wound looks...shouldn't it be in better condition than this at this point?

We kept her in an elizabethean collar for two full weeks, but maybe she's licking at it. We don't see her licking it too often, but it's a possibility. Any thoughts?

It was wet-ish when I saw it tonight, I sprayed some cat germicide, let it dry and dabbed with a sterile gauze pad. There's no coloration, blood or pus to be found, just moisture.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm looking into another reputable vet in the area for a second opinion.

edit: she doesn't seem to be sore or hurt, and doesn't react to touching it at all. Then again, she smashes headfirst into the couch at full speed daily so maybe pain just isn't her thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 1, 2011

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Wound

My god, that doesn't look healthy at all and as far as I was aware, vets now use dis solvable stitches or glue instead of stitches that required them to be removed to avoid having to drag to animal back in for them to be removed, I haven't met a vet who removes stitches for at least 3 years that's also a fairly large area that looks affected.

Definitely find another vet and preferably as soon as possible, it's entirely possible it's nothing but if it's something your vet sees regularly in his patients, I'd be out of there so fast you wouldn't know what hit you because as anyone who has had a cat spayed will tell you, that's not the normal progression of healing at all, again all female cats, mostly fosters I've had spayed are done with skin glue or stitches that dissolve and I assume that's how most peoples animals have been done because it means they don't have to go through the stress of having them removed, which is a problem if a cat is timid or a little violent, removing them could cause damage if the cat refuses to stay still. I'm also curious as to the fact it appears to be in the shape of a circle, it just seems odd to me.

I hope she's okay though, good luck with another vet.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

PolarKitt posted:

My god, that doesn't look healthy at all and as far as I was aware, vets now use dis solvable stitches or glue instead of stitches that required them to be removed to avoid having to drag to animal back in for them to be removed, I haven't met a vet who removes stitches for at least 3 years that's also a fairly large area that looks affected.

Definitely find another vet and preferably as soon as possible, it's entirely possible it's nothing but if it's something your vet sees regularly in his patients, I'd be out of there so fast you wouldn't know what hit you because as anyone who has had a cat spayed will tell you, that's not the normal progression of healing at all, again all female cats, mostly fosters I've had spayed are done with skin glue or stitches that dissolve and I assume that's how most peoples animals have been done because it means they don't have to go through the stress of having them removed, which is a problem if a cat is timid or a little violent, removing them could cause damage if the cat refuses to stay still. I'm also curious as to the fact it appears to be in the shape of a circle, it just seems odd to me.

Actually, the use of skin sutures is still quite common. One reason is BECAUSE you need to take them back in, which allows the vet to evaluate the incision and make sure it has healed properly. I would definitely not assume this vet is a quack because they used external sutures.

That wound looks similar to what my cat did to herself by licking an incision. I had to keep the e-collar on for awhile longer until that healed, and then she was ok. She had had a reaction to the suture used underneath the skin and the sutures eventually worked themselves out--not sure if that's why she was licking. In your case, the moistness and the round appearance are what make me think your cat is licking it raw. One way to tell would be to put the e-collar back on and see if the wound dries up.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

eggsovereasy posted:

Ha, so simple.

I'll keep an eye for any thing else weird, thanks.

I disagree with wraithgar, neediness that sudden can often be a sign of sickness. If it's that constant I would be inclined to go to the vet ASAP. Any other changes in behavior, eating, litter box, etc? Did it suddenly get cold where you are? Really cold? Because my cats don't do this in the cold.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 1, 2011

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
How do you break up a dog fight when a pit bull isn't involved?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Triangulum posted:

I think the general idea is if the dogs are bite & slash fighters, lift up the back legs so you're wheelbarrowing the dog and yank backwards when it goes to regrip (e: hold steady until that time to stop tearing). GSDs tend to be bite & slashers.

I could be wrong though. I'm not an aggressive dog expert.

a life less fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 1, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

RheaConfused posted:

I disagree with wraithgar, neediness that sudden can often be a sign of sickness. If it's that constant I would be inclined to go to the vet ASAP. Any other changes in behavior, eating, litter box, etc?

It's not constant, but she comes over for petting 3 or 4 times a night after I come home from work. But, like I said it used to be like once a week or two that she would actively seek attention. I'll just go to the vet tonight just to be safe.

quote:

Did it suddenly get cold where you are? Really cold? Because my cats don't do this in the cold.

It went from 70 degrees on Saturday to <40 by Wednesday. Obviously my house is heated, but it's probably colder inside than it was.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

eggsovereasy posted:

It's not constant, but she comes over for petting 3 or 4 times a night after I come home from work. But, like I said it used to be like once a week or two that she would actively seek attention. I'll just go to the vet tonight just to be safe.

It went from 70 degrees on Saturday to <40 by Wednesday. Obviously my house is heated, but it's probably colder inside than it was.

I would call your vet first and tell them what's up and see what they say. Cats become total snuggle bugs when the temp drops. Your cat is most likely not going to die from wanting some body heat. Be safe and see what the vet says, but I wouldn't panic.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Triangulum posted:

I've had to break up a few dog fights and the method Leerburg describes works the best as long as you ignore anything about e collars and dominance. Make sure you take a breath and assess the situation before charging in. In many fights one dog is starting poo poo and the other just wants out. If you are by yourself getting the one who is the aggressor out and put away somewhere is usually enough to stop the fight. If the dog is grabbing and releasing instead of just gripping and shaking then try to pull it back when it has released to minimize tearing injuries.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

eggsovereasy posted:

It's the description of always sitting on you that worries me. That can be a big sign. I don't think it is an emergency, but like I said, if it was me I would go to the vet. Also the fact that the affection didn't work its way up in increments.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

RheaConfused posted:

It's the description of always sitting on you that worries me. That can be a big sign. I don't think it is an emergency, but like I said, if it was me I would go to the vet. Also the fact that the affection didn't work its way up in increments.

This is literally my cat during winter. Sitting in laps becomes an imperative and she gets pushy.

You are telling a person to go to a vet cause their cat is cuddling with them. During the winter.

Edit
VVVVV I'm working on it. Someone suggest a good username for me to change to, preferably with 'gar' in it.

El Gar fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 1, 2011

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

wraithgar posted:

This is literally my cat during winter. Sitting in laps becomes an imperative and she gets pushy.

You are telling a person to go to a vet cause their cat is cuddling with them. During the winter.

Your avatar is freaking me out.

Pls to fix?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

wraithgar posted:

Edit
VVVVV I'm working on it. Someone suggest a good username for me to change to, preferably with 'gar' in it.

My standoffish cat does this too. She pretty much hates snuggling but once it gets cold (we're in San Diego so cold means like 60° lol) at night she wants to be under the covers in bed, on my lap, etc. From 70° to 40° is a pretty significant temperature drop, doesn't seem terribly surprising that the cat wants something warm to sit on.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I've had to break up a few dog fights and the method Leerburg describes works the best as long as you ignore anything about e collars and dominance. Make sure you take a breath and assess the situation before charging in. In many fights one dog is starting poo poo and the other just wants out. If you are by yourself getting the one who is the aggressor out and put away somewhere is usually enough to stop the fight. If the dog is grabbing and releasing instead of just gripping and shaking then try to pull it back when it has released to minimize tearing injuries.

Cool, thanks. Seems like a good thing to know how to do.

One of my cousin's dogs got into a brutal fight somewhat recently :( wasn't a dog fight though, their little terrier got attacked by a pack of coyotes (during the day weirdly enough) and certainly would have died if their standard poodle hadn't jumped in and mauled a couple of them.

Poor Zaggy, one of the coyotes actually punctured his skull. He's ok now though, just freaked the gently caress out. Good thing he's got Zoey to cover his tiny rear end :unsmith:

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

wraithgar posted:

Edit

Welp, all our cats are different. When my cat follows me around and sits on me regularly she is always sick. This raised a flag because it is new behavior for this cat. NEW BEHAVIOR. I expressed my opinion based on my experience and the fact that this poster stated that it just came out of nowhere.

But like I said, "if it was me."

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not sure a 30° drop in temperature over 4 days is out of nowhere...

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof

Chaco posted:

Quack

No I don't think that makes him a bad vet I was just saying I didn't know any vet who did it anymore, we get called back for a free check up a week later even without having to remove stitches just to make sure the wound is healing nicely and they haven't scratched it or anything and I much prefer that, with my first animal they had skin sutures after massive surgery and they got infected and needed to put her back under to cut the stitches out of her skin, it was very distressing so it's probably somewhat that which makes me worry but still, the fact it's almost a perfect circle does concern me but I do hope it's just a matter of her licking at it, I'd at least suggest asking the vet if it's okay to give it a wash with salt water and put the collar back on, at this point I just really don't want to see her get any infection at a surgery site and salt water helped heal up a skin issue one of my fosters had after a bad reaction to his vaccinations.

My last two boys are being done on Tuesday, I expect Loki to be feeling sorry for himself and demanding more cuddles than usual but I will give him ham and he will promptly forget anything bad happened

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Triangulum posted:

I'm not sure a 30° drop in temperature over 4 days is out of nowhere...

eggsovereasy posted:

So my 1.5 year old cat Izzy has recently (the last few days) become very affectionate. Normally she only seeks attention once every couple weeks and doesn't like sitting on my lap.

All of a sudden

she's coming up to me to be petted several times a day and if I lay on the couch she'll sleep on me.

I was going by what the poster wrote. Also, she's not coming up several times a day to be petted for warmth I would think. If it was just lap, that would say warmth to me. From once every few weeks and no lap to several times a day and lots of lap is a pretty big change. I mean, also she said it was that large of a temperature drop in her house. I use air conditioning, so my cats don't feel a 30 degree drop in temperature.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

PolarKitt posted:

The vet said that it's a seroma, and that if the cat was in discomfort he could use a needle to remove the fluid but since she doesn't appear to be and it's closed up it's sterile and it should go away on its own.

She had a collar on, but she still really freakin active, even with the collar so it's probably from exercise.

The vet comes pretty highly recommended, so I took his word but i'll seek a second opinion, thanks for the help! In the meantime, I'll slap the collar back on and keep it clean.

edit: apparently seromas develop as a result of the surgeon leaving too much dead space when closing up the incision, so he might've just been covering his rear end.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 2, 2011

PolarKitt
Nov 6, 2011

Woof

RaoulDuke12 posted:

The vet said that it's a seroma.

Just a tip for the future, something that at least I do is always make sure you know what something is, even if a vet doesn't seem concerned, make sure you ask what it is and if it has a proper name because it's always better to know than not to know and you can research it on your own and decide yourself whether you're okay with your vets choice or if you want to ask for a second opinion or just read about other peoples experiences online.

I'm glad she's okay though and I'd still recommend the odd dab down with warm salt water if the vet says it's okay just to be on the safe side.

On another note
GODDAMN does my dog stink, he loves attention but he smells so baddddd, I don't wash him because it doesn't help in the slightest and I do worry about any shampoos affecting their skin because they're all oldish and sensitive, it's not a terrible smell, it's just something you notice if he's rubbing all over you and you'd rather not. It's not even as bad as cat breath so I can put up with it but still, stinky little bugger.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

RaoulDuke12 posted:

The vet said that it's a seroma, and that if the cat was in discomfort he could use a needle to remove the fluid but since she doesn't appear to be and it's closed up it's sterile and it should go away on its own.

She had a collar on, but she still really freakin active, even with the collar so it's probably from exercise.

The vet comes pretty highly recommended, so I took his word but i'll seek a second opinion, thanks for the help! In the meantime, I'll slap the collar back on and keep it clean.

edit: apparently seromas develop as a result of the surgeon leaving too much dead space when closing up the incision, so he might've just been covering his rear end.

Seromas can happen more easily or frequently if too much dead space is left, but other factors can contribute, like the location of the wound (and whether it is a high-motion area), whether it's a gravity-dependent area, and how much the animal's activity is restricted post-operatively. With cats in particular I debate about how much of the dead space to close up on belly incisions since cats sort of have loose, mobile skin over that area anyway, and tacking it down to close the dead space can sometimes seem un-natural.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

PolarKitt posted:

Just a tip for the future, something that at least I do is always make sure you know what something is, even if a vet doesn't seem concerned, make sure you ask what it is and if it has a proper name because it's always better to know than not to know and you can research it on your own and decide yourself whether you're okay with your vets choice or if you want to ask for a second opinion or just read about other peoples experiences online.

A seroma is a seroma. That is the proper name.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Hello, I am paranoid that my kitty has diabetes. She is a tortoise shell and has always had odd quirks and craziness. I think long ago she saw me drinking from my bathroom faucet when she was a few months old and she was the only cat, and I was her only companionship, and she thought that's the normal thing to do. I always thought it was cute. After some time, she began "swimming" in her normal water bowls: sticking her paw in and batting around a lot. I chalked it up to her being crazy. Recently, though, I've been getting more worried. For a while, she was super thin; but, then I secluded her in her own room, away from one of my other cats that she hates. She gained plenty of weight and is happy. She still is crazy about water, and even more so than before. She has been drinking from the sink for five minutes a day when I let her. Any time she sees a water bowl made for the other cats, she splashes in it until it's all over the floor. The vets never said anything, but I don't think they ever tested her specifically for diabetes. Am I just being paranoid about a crazy cat, or is it really something to worry about?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Chaco posted:

Seromas can happen more easily or frequently if too much dead space is left, but other factors can contribute, like the location of the wound (and whether it is a high-motion area), whether it's a gravity-dependent area, and how much the animal's activity is restricted post-operatively. With cats in particular I debate about how much of the dead space to close up on belly incisions since cats sort of have loose, mobile skin over that area anyway, and tacking it down to close the dead space can sometimes seem un-natural.

Right on, thank you for this. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Hello, I am paranoid that my kitty has diabetes. She is a tortoise shell and has always had odd quirks and craziness. I think long ago she saw me drinking from my bathroom faucet when she was a few months old and she was the only cat, and I was her only companionship, and she thought that's the normal thing to do. I always thought it was cute. After some time, she began "swimming" in her normal water bowls: sticking her paw in and batting around a lot. I chalked it up to her being crazy. Recently, though, I've been getting more worried. For a while, she was super thin; but, then I secluded her in her own room, away from one of my other cats that she hates. She gained plenty of weight and is happy. She still is crazy about water, and even more so than before. She has been drinking from the sink for five minutes a day when I let her. Any time she sees a water bowl made for the other cats, she splashes in it until it's all over the floor. The vets never said anything, but I don't think they ever tested her specifically for diabetes. Am I just being paranoid about a crazy cat, or is it really something to worry about?

Perhaps she just likes running water, and is trying to get the bowl water to move "like it's supposed to." Have you considered a cat water fountain?