Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

StickFigs posted:

I'm trying to sell this Sprint phone I got on eBay and everyone keeps asking me if it has a clean ESN. How do I find out? Do I send them some sort of code off my phone so they can check for themselves? Is it safe to send them this information?

Don't send out your ESN, but do call Sprint and give it to them or go to a store and have them scan it. It's a bar code usually under your battery. Clean means it hasn't been reported as lost or stolen, and that your account is in good standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

StickFigs posted:

I'm trying to sell this Sprint phone I got on eBay and everyone keeps asking me if it has a clean ESN. How do I find out? Do I send them some sort of code off my phone so they can check for themselves? Is it safe to send them this information?

They are basically asking if it has been stolen. Since it's been active on your account and the ESN (serial number) hasn't been flagged as stolen, then you are good.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

StickFigs posted:

You can always call Sprint or go into a store to find out. A lot of people will buy phones on Craigslist just outside a Sprint store so that y'all can go in and verify the ESN first. You can grab the ESN/MEID from inside the battery compartment, usually.

You might also try http://www.checkesnfree.com, but I dunno how accurate it is. From what I've read, it sounds like they're spot-on.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
It's not my phone originally and I never activated it on my account. I guess I'll have to give sprint a call. Thanks for the help.

dirt1981
May 6, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

You can always call Sprint or go into a store to find out. A lot of people will buy phones on Craigslist just outside a Sprint store so that y'all can go in and verify the ESN first. You can grab the ESN/MEID from inside the battery compartment, usually.

You might also try http://www.checkesnfree.com, but I dunno how accurate it is. From what I've read, it sounds like they're spot-on.

What happens if when your checking the ESN at the store and it comes back flagged? The person won't be buying the phone of course, but does the sprint store confiscate the phone?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

No, it's just a brick. You might be able to flash it for use on Boost or Virgin, but Sprint won't activate it. You might be able to sweet talk them into unflagging it.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

dirt1981 posted:

What happens if when your checking the ESN at the store and it comes back flagged? The person won't be buying the phone of course, but does the sprint store confiscate the phone?
Like Lovie Unsmith said, as blacklisted Sprint phone can still be flashed to work on other CDMA carriers. Though doing so on Boost or Virgin would require illegal methods. People from regional carriers like MetroPCS and Cricket will buy it if you advertise it as "Bad ESN, can be flashed on other carriers."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

dirt1981 posted:

Way too much hassle to confiscate, only time i that was when some schmuck was stupid enough to try and activate a sprint in store demo.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
My sister got the free after rebate Nexus S 4G and is very happy with it. I was hoping to submit the rebate form electronically, but it seems Sprint expects you to mail in a hand-printed form and the receipt. Allow 8 weeks to receive your rebate via American Express Prepaid Rewards card.

I found the .pdf on the website. This is the one used by third party brick & mortar stores as well?

Duckman, do you know of a faster way to process this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

My sister got the free after rebate Nexus S 4G and is very happy with it. I was hoping to submit the rebate form electronically, but it seems Sprint expects you to mail in a hand-printed form and the receipt. Allow 8 weeks to receive your rebate via American Express Prepaid Rewards card.

I found the .pdf on the website. This is the one used by third party brick & mortar stores as well?

Duckman, do you know of a faster way to process this?

I would imagine its the same form and no, 8 weeks unfortunately.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
I'm out of contract and plan on switching to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus, but I'm not sure how to handle the cancellation. My contract expires on December 8th (same day the phone is rumored to come out, but who knows?)--so I don't know if I'll have the phone that day.

Should I call in to Sprint a few days early, and specify that I want to cancel my account on a specific day? I don't mind going without a phone a few days, to save paying another monthly bill. Would that screw up porting my number?

From what I understand, Sprint does not prorate monthly bills when you cancel.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
If you're porting your number you just go to the new carrier and ask them to port your number over and they'll ask for details.

Cancelling your line/contract means you forfeit your number as well. Don't do that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Has anyone had issues with their GPS on the SGSIIE4G? I was trying to use My Tracks last night when walking the dog and I couldn't get a good lock - the GPS had me a good quarter mile away and a block up from where I really was. I checked GPS Test and it said I had 8 satellites in view, and accuracy was within 45 feet (which still seemed to be a little too far off.)

The GPS has taken a little time to get properly locked in the past, but once it was, it was never too far off. If I was driving, last night's inaccuracy would have shot me off a cliff or something...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

I'm out of contract and plan on switching to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus, but I'm not sure how to handle the cancellation. My contract expires on December 8th (same day the phone is rumored to come out, but who knows?)--so I don't know if I'll have the phone that day.

Should I call in to Sprint a few days early, and specify that I want to cancel my account on a specific day? I don't mind going without a phone a few days, to save paying another monthly bill. Would that screw up porting my number?

From what I understand, Sprint does not prorate monthly bills when you cancel.

Like the other guy said, just take a paper bill into verizon, all they need is the account number on it and they will do the rest.

I honestly thought it prorates, but I could be wrong. None of these companies are exactly nice to you once you leave, so just be cautious.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Thanks for the answers. I'm gonna hope that the timing works out alright.

funzel2501
May 1, 2006
About a year ago I added my mom to my Sprint plan so she could have her first smart phone (an extra Palm Pre I had picked up off a coworker). They demanded a new 2-year contract for it to add the line; I even called *2 and they confirmed this. There were issues with service at my moms house, so Customer Retention had us buy an Airave. After about 6 months my mom realizes that service around where she lives and on her new commute to work are so bad she has to change carriers. We get the EFT issue escalated to the "Customer Service Executive Group" and they deny it. Is there any possibility of me getting out of this $150 EFT?

TL;DR: Trying to get out of an EFT for a second line that didn't have a new phone on it and had no service where it was suppose to be being used.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Sprint is terrible like this, they will require you to sign a contract for the activation of a new line of service, even if customer owned equipment, but will allow to indefinitely replace the phone on that line with new, customer owned equipment without any contract renewal :iiam:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

funzel2501 posted:

About a year ago I added my mom to my Sprint plan so she could have her first smart phone (an extra Palm Pre I had picked up off a coworker). They demanded a new 2-year contract for it to add the line; I even called *2 and they confirmed this. There were issues with service at my moms house, so Customer Retention had us buy an Airave. After about 6 months my mom realizes that service around where she lives and on her new commute to work are so bad she has to change carriers. We get the EFT issue escalated to the "Customer Service Executive Group" and they deny it. Is there any possibility of me getting out of this $150 EFT?

TL;DR: Trying to get out of an EFT or a second line that didn't have a new phone on it and had no service where it was suppose to be being used.

Yeah, I its an old archaic policy that sucks. But considering you went through great lengths to confirm that you absolutely had to sign a 2 year contract, why are you now surprised they won't waive the Fee? It's a lovely policy, but you knew about it going in.

That being said, call retention from the OP. They are your only hope.

Btw, I was wrong about sprint unlocking to iPhone. They will unlock it as long as you are in good standing and have been a customer for more than 3 months. And if you have a spending limit I think you have to go to the corporate store. We

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 1, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Duckman2008 posted:

Btw, I was wrong about sprint unlocking to iPhone. They will unlock it as long as you are in good standing and have been a customer for more than 3 months. And if you have a spending limit I think you have to go to the corporate store.

Good to know. I would love to throw in a prepaid AT&T SIM when I travel in a few weeks.

Last time I went to the area, I had no service with Sprint, and my parents had no service with Verizon, but my girlfriend had no problems with AT&T.

Not exactly Sprint related...but does anyone know how prepaid data plans work? Is there even such a thing?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Ozmodiar posted:

Good to know. I would love to throw in a prepaid AT&T SIM when I travel in a few weeks.

Last time I went to the area, I had no service with Sprint, and my parents had no service with Verizon, but my girlfriend had no problems with AT&T.

Not exactly Sprint related...but does anyone know how prepaid data plans work? Is there even such a thing?
You've got that wrong. It's unlocking for use with foreign simcards in foreign countries. Under no circumstances will the phone accept domestic simcards.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

You've got that wrong. It's unlocking for use with foreign simcards in foreign countries. Under no circumstances will the phone accept domestic simcards.

Yeah, I should have been more specific. Sorry.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Well, that's disheartening.

Are there any Jailbreak solutions yet?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Not at the moment. See the Jailbreak Thread here on-site.

min
May 12, 2001

Ok, I'm a little confused right now. I recently took advantage of the Amazon 1 cent phone sale by adding a line to my account for my sister. When the phone came I took it and my current phone to the local Sprint store to get them activated since I wanted to swap the numbers. That all went fine, my sister ported her number from MetroPCS and is using my old Evo, I'm using the Epic 4G Touch I ordered from Amazon. Now, on to the confusing part: I was just checking out my account on Sprint's website and it says I have an upgrade available on my sisters line. It's a brand new line and I ordered a new phone with the line already so I'm not sure how that is possible. Is this something I should be concerned about? Just want to make sure nothing got screwed up when the phones were activated.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is it actually the new line or is it your old line with the new number on it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

min posted:

Ok, I'm a little confused right now. I recently took advantage of the Amazon 1 cent phone sale by adding a line to my account for my sister. When the phone came I took it and my current phone to the local Sprint store to get them activated since I wanted to swap the numbers. That all went fine, my sister ported her number from MetroPCS and is using my old Evo, I'm using the Epic 4G Touch I ordered from Amazon. Now, on to the confusing part: I was just checking out my account on Sprint's website and it says I have an upgrade available on my sisters line. It's a brand new line and I ordered a new phone with the line already so I'm not sure how that is possible. Is this something I should be concerned about? Just want to make sure nothing got screwed up when the phones were activated.

Here's what I think happened :

You added a line to your account and got an epic touch. However, you immediately put a used Evo of that line. Sprint system sees phone as used, policy is contract but you retain upgrade since it sees it as customer provided.

Only issue I could see is with amazon, but I would play dumb and hope they don't notice (you would hear something in a month or so). And if they don't notice you have a free early upgrade.

Fyi I have seen this before. Not often, but sometimes people get lucky.

min
May 12, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Here's what I think happened :

You added a line to your account and got an epic touch. However, you immediately put a used Evo of that line. Sprint system sees phone as used, policy is contract but you retain upgrade since it sees it as customer provided.

Only issue I could see is with amazon, but I would play dumb and hope they don't notice (you would hear something in a month or so). And if they don't notice you have a free early upgrade.

Fyi I have seen this before. Not often, but sometimes people get lucky.

Cool, I'll just ride it out then and see what happens.

edit: It is a new line. My line still has an upgrade available in October 2012, same as it was before.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, the Samsung epic update has been out, and I have been getting the traditional influx of epics with new bugs. Everything from losing the ability to connect to 3G to crashing to god knows what else. Drives me nuts. My absolute favorite is the new feedback problem (I've seen two or three of these). Some phones literally have developed some weird feedback problem with I can only presume is the speaker and case. People move the phone wrong and the epic emits a high squeel noise. Its really hard to confirm whether it is def software or hardware, but dear god Samsung, make better phones please (yes the epic touch has been pretty solid so far).

Working in a tech center reminds me on a daily basis how much Samsung sucks. When transforms come in I have adopted a swap if at all possible, no questions asked policy just out of pure pity for the people unfortunate enough to have bought one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

$60 ETF.
I can live with that. "Bye, Sprint."

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, the Samsung epic update has been out, and I have been getting the traditional influx of epics with new bugs.
Interesting, that list doesn't quite match up to complaints on xda. I've never heard of the feedback issue on Samsung's GB, although something similar happens in the CM7 port. Still, I'd guess the 3G problem and other riff-raff crashes are ultimately solved by a provision and device reset.

That said, Samsung definitely bungled the GPS in the latest update and they did it by sheer negligence/incompetence. One of the problems of the new GPS is that it regularly wigs out after 15 minutes of navigation use. It's far worse than the GPS performed on Froyo. Are you hearing about that kind of issue at all?

If someone did come in with the GPS issue, what can you do?

There's a very simple fix for the GPS that can be applied once rooted, but I imagine you really can't advertise that. I presume the repair centers don't advertise the ability to downgrade back to Froyo. A hardware swap won't do it. Do you just try early upgrade? Swap to Nexus S? Say "it'll get better" in a subsequent update that will never come?

Duckman2008 posted:

Working in a tech center reminds me on a daily basis how much Samsung sucks.
Worst part about it is that their engineering fuckups seem to fallout on you, and the feedback-resolution loop appears to be broken.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Interesting, that list doesn't quite match up to complaints on xda. I've never heard of the feedback issue on Samsung's GB, although something similar happens in the CM7 port. Still, I'd guess the 3G problem and other riff-raff crashes are ultimately solved by a provision and device reset.

That said, Samsung definitely bungled the GPS in the latest update and they did it by sheer negligence/incompetence. One of the problems of the new GPS is that it regularly wigs out after 15 minutes of navigation use. It's far worse than the GPS performed on Froyo. Are you hearing about that kind of issue at all?

If someone did come in with the GPS issue, what can you do?

There's a very simple fix for the GPS that can be applied once rooted, but I imagine you really can't advertise that. I presume the repair centers don't advertise the ability to downgrade back to Froyo. A hardware swap won't do it. Do you just try early upgrade? Swap to Nexus S? Say "it'll get better" in a subsequent update that will never come?

Worst part about it is that their engineering fuckups seem to fallout on you, and the feedback-resolution loop appears to be broken.

ha for GPS if we are in a good mood we get in our car and drive around the drat mall to test it.

Usually we just straightaway swap it (assuming insurance) and be done with it. I get paid less on a swap than repair (which is fair to me) but it's Christmas and I'm busy trying to get to the next customer that is switching 3 iPhones from ATT to sprint. December is the easiest time to just get your phone swapped.

I don't get many GPS complaints period. If I need to I can swap for a nexus normally. Again, I get paid less to do a swap, so if I have time and think it's viable I try and troubleshoot (better to get the phone working for everybody anyway). It also depends on how much of a dick the customer is (remember always be nice to service reps). I cannot officially advertise rooting, and honestly I don't fiddle with android as much as I used to, so I really only know how to root HTC phones with unrevoked (I could learn more but don't). My coworker is a good nerd though and does occasionally root phones for customers if warranted.

Oh, big shock of the day is iPhone buybacks at sprint were just drastically cut back. Most you can get now is $175ish for an ATT iPhone 4. They were $250 last week. Bound to go down, and obviously you can ALWAYS get more selling it yourself, but still a bummer. Evo is back up to $90 though.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 5, 2011

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Evo is back up to $90 though.
Speaking of which, whats an EVO4G worth right now in decent but not perfect condition?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

A quick check on eBay shows 'em going for like $180-200.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

StickFigs posted:

Just see if sprint can swap it onto your line. Then swap it back off. No need to turn it on or activate it during the process.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I just need to bitch for a second:

I'm having problems lately where my Evo 4G, no matter what it's charged to, will just shut itself down while thinking the battery is dead. When I restart it says the battery's at 1%, until I put it on a charger and suddenly it's back up to 80% or wherever. I post this in the android thread and somebody says "It's a bad battery, it doesn't know how to meter itself anymore. Get a new one."

So I go into the sprint store and tell them "I got a bad battery." Guy takes it to the back and comes back a few minutes later: "Our tests say the battery's fine, but if you leave it with us for a few hours we'll figure out what's wrong." And then he nonchalantly adds "We might have to wipe the phone." I explain to him that I really, really don't want them to wipe the phone - that it's pretty clearly a battery issue (I keep the phone on charge 90% of my day, and the problem only happens when I take it off charge). He says "we'll try not to, but we want to rule everything out." Fine, that makes sense.

So I pick it up two hours later and they say "Our tests show it was a bad battery, we've ordered you a new one." And they'd wiped my phone. Thanks guys, gently caress you very much; because I don't have titanium backup I spent two hours reinstalling all my old poo poo and getting my settings back to where I want them. Oh, and Evo batteries - for a phone they sell at the store - are apparently so rare and mysterious that it'll be six days before they get one in. And no, we're sorry sir but we can't simply ship it to you even though rush hour traffic makes this a 40 minute trip for you.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The 4G is discontinued afaik, I'm not surprised they don't have a replacement battery.
No drop shipping...well, thats probably for inventory control and/or they just aren't setup for it.
Wiping the phone is frustrating, but eliminating the phone as the source is mostly legit. Should have purchased titanium backup, pro really does make the process pretty drat painless for $6 or whatever it is.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
A pair of decent evo batteries is $20 on amazon, just buy one there.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-1700mAh...d=1HKESGQNKWA4J

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Evo 3D for $50? Okay, I'll burn an upgrade on that.

http://t.co/lUISghTf

Worst case scenario is Galaxy Nexus comes out on Sprint soon (hah) and I try to sell the 3D on Craigslist to pay for it.

Yay, new phone time!!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

I just need to bitch for a second:

I'm having problems lately where my Evo 4G, no matter what it's charged to, will just shut itself down while thinking the battery is dead. When I restart it says the battery's at 1%, until I put it on a charger and suddenly it's back up to 80% or wherever. I post this in the android thread and somebody says "It's a bad battery, it doesn't know how to meter itself anymore. Get a new one."

So I go into the sprint store and tell them "I got a bad battery." Guy takes it to the back and comes back a few minutes later: "Our tests say the battery's fine, but if you leave it with us for a few hours we'll figure out what's wrong." And then he nonchalantly adds "We might have to wipe the phone." I explain to him that I really, really don't want them to wipe the phone - that it's pretty clearly a battery issue (I keep the phone on charge 90% of my day, and the problem only happens when I take it off charge). He says "we'll try not to, but we want to rule everything out." Fine, that makes sense.

So I pick it up two hours later and they say "Our tests show it was a bad battery, we've ordered you a new one." And they'd wiped my phone. Thanks guys, gently caress you very much; because I don't have titanium backup I spent two hours reinstalling all my old poo poo and getting my settings back to where I want them. Oh, and Evo batteries - for a phone they sell at the store - are apparently so rare and mysterious that it'll be six days before they get one in. And no, we're sorry sir but we can't simply ship it to you even though rush hour traffic makes this a 40 minute trip for you.

Sorry you went to a lovely store, the solution is don't ever go back to that store again.

Stores don't carry batteries in because they are loving expensive physical retail wise. Here's a battery on amazon for $5: http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Standard-Battery-EVO-4G/dp/B003L2VERC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323109748&sr=8-2

Fyi Batteries are only covered under warranty, not insurance (so obviously your phone is under warranty). So glad they were able to order one for you, but never expect a store to be able to replace a battery. Its lose lose, either we keep them in store for $40 and people bitch and buy online, or we don't stock them and people bitch that we don't have them, but still buy online. One of those options saves Sprint money on inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

ilkhan posted:

Wiping the phone is frustrating, but eliminating the phone as the source is mostly legit.
I agree 100%, but what would be nice is if they'd start with the tests that have the least impact on the phone, then work their way up if those tests fail to find the problem. What happened here is like getting your car back and hearing "Well, we simultaneously replaced the transmission, the A/C, and reupholstered the back seats, but the problem turned out to be a flat tire, like you said."

Most people don't have Titanium Backup, and I'll bet most people definitely don't know you can move some apps/settings to the SD card. I just wish Sprint would recognize that, before going "Hurp durr guess I'll erase this person's phone, along with their mail and wifi settings, all their general preferences, as well as the apps they use but don't remember the names of until they need them." A little bit of caution would make things a lot better for people, that's all I'm saying.

ilkhan posted:

Should have purchased titanium backup, pro really does make the process pretty drat painless for $6 or whatever it is.
Yeah, I know...shoulda coulda etc. I tell myself I don't do the kind of poo poo that risks bricking my phone so I don't need Ti backup, but this is twice now in the past few months where I've gotten my phone wiped for problems I didn't cause (bad charging port a few months ago). Now might be a good time to pick it up.

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry you went to a lovely store, the solution is don't ever go back to that store again.
It's the only "repair" store within about 50 miles.

Duckman2008 posted:

Stores don't carry batteries in because they are loving expensive physical retail wise. Here's a battery on amazon for $5: http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Standard-Battery-EVO-4G/dp/B003L2VERC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323109748&sr=8-2

Fyi Batteries are only covered under warranty, not insurance (so obviously your phone is under warranty). So glad they were able to order one for you, but never expect a store to be able to replace a battery. Its lose lose, either we keep them in store for $40 and people bitch and buy online, or we don't stock them and people bitch that we don't have them, but still buy online. One of those options saves Sprint money on inventory.
That's good to know, and thanks for the link to cheap batteries!

jackpot fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 5, 2011