Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

shoot things that are 'infinitely' far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

How to lose $2400 in 24 seconds

It was a 5D Mk II

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
A friend of mine was shooting at the Redskins vs Cowboys football game in DC a couple weeks ago. While on he field he noticed a dude shooting with a Hassy, using his 400 w/ 2x extender he grabbed this shot.

I'm not a sports person so I thought this was the most interesting image he took. Where did this dude come from to shoot an NFL game with an H4? Can anyone tell me what lens he's using? What's that cable running around the lens for? He was shooting into the field, so the fps of the camera is pretty low and whatever pictures he took must look pretty unique? I don't know, he seems like he should be on a fashion shoot rather than on the sidelines.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Holy poo poo there's a giant behind him.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

RobattoJesus posted:

Oof. As a fellow x100 owner I feel your pain. How can a camera so good in all other aspects be lumbered with a focusing system that is so spectacularily terrible.

If the x100 was a person it would be George Clooney, but with a crippling erectile disfunction. Sure you have the potential to bed the most beatiful women on earth, and you do just that.... but for every 2 successess, there is that soul-destroying third time where you were left fumbling frantically with your focus ring trying to make poo poo work while your shot gets bored and fucks off.

What do you use for rain protection on your x100?

You two are weird, I've never had problems focusing, even at night. I keep mine in the original leather case, and put gaffer tape over the focus switch since it's the only hole in the case. It's been fine in heavy rain and snow so far.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sensy v2.0 posted:

Holy poo poo there's a giant behind him.

Focal length in action!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'm not a sports person so I thought this was the most interesting image he took. Where did this dude come from to shoot an NFL game with an H4? Can anyone tell me what lens he's using? What's that cable running around the lens for? He was shooting into the field, so the fps of the camera is pretty low and whatever pictures he took must look pretty unique? I don't know, he seems like he should be on a fashion shoot rather than on the sidelines.

The cable might be for a leaf shutter or something. As for what he's doing at a football game, he might be taking photos for advertising or something where they need to blow up the photo to huge proportions. Either that or he's a stevehuffphoto.com reader and that's actually his backup H4 and he has an H4 with a wide angle lens and a Leica M9 in his camera bag as well just in case.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Focal length in action!
Even so, look at the size of that dude's calves. He is GIGANTOR.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Do you think its possible to send just a disposable camera through the mail, no box or anything?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xzzy posted:

Focal length in action!

STOP THE RIDE

I WANT TO GET OFF

(what range is that, like 18mm to 500mm or something?)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Awkward Davies posted:

Do you think its possible to send just a disposable camera through the mail, no box or anything?

Sure. Many years ago, I stumbled across the postal rules & regulations for the Royal Mail (UK). I can't remember why or how I ended up idly flipping through this book of obscure postal legislation, but I do remember there was a section about sending dead birds through the post. If you had been out hunting pheasants, say, you could mail them home / to your butler / to your MP / whatever if you affixed sufficient postage to a tag tied around their legs, and as long as they weren't bleeding all over they'd get there intact, guaranteed by Her Majesty's carriers.

So, yeah, slap some stamps on it and fire it through - I'm sure it will make it. Maybe put tape or something over the shutter button / on-off switch.

\/\/\/ An under-explored time-lapse opportunity!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 2, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ExecuDork posted:

So, yeah, slap some stamps on it and fire it through - I'm sure it will make it. Maybe put tape or something over the shutter button / on-off switch.

Either that or shove it in a dead pheasant.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Awkward Davies posted:

I've got a whole bunch of these things that I picked up for 99 cents, for awhile now I've thought about starting a thread about one. Send it around to a bunch of dorkroomers with a roll of film in it, have them take a shot or two, mail to the next person in line, then post the scanned roll when it gets back to me.

I should probably stop being lazy and start that already.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I've got a whole bunch of these things that I picked up for 99 cents, for awhile now I've thought about starting a thread about one. Send it around to a bunch of dorkroomers with a roll of film in it, have them take a shot or two, mail to the next person in line, then post the scanned roll when it gets back to me.

There was a GBS thread like that way back in the day. Probably 2006 or 07. Please do this and report how many dick shots you get.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I was gonna do a "found camera" thing and leave them around NYC with postage/a note attached and ask people to drop it in the mail when they are done with it. Probably never get any of them back, but you never know.

I would def participate in a thread like that though.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

DJExile posted:

How to lose $2400 in 24 seconds

It was a 5D Mk II

B&H have replaced his camera after seeing that picture. Maybe I should destroy some gear and get a few hundred thousand views

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Helmacron posted:

My day isn't. I just destroyed my D3s. Now I have to go back to the X100 I just forswore. There's all this glass inside my bag. Tinkling sounds. Do you know how hosed that is. I can't remember the last time I was this unhappy. I have no comparison. I am unhappy.

this is the closest thing you have to a support group. Give us the details.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Awkward Davies posted:

I was gonna do a "found camera" thing and leave them around NYC with postage/a note attached and ask people to drop it in the mail when they are done with it. Probably never get any of them back, but you never know.

I would def participate in a thread like that though.

I'd worry about them knowing your address and thinking you have a bunch of nice camera poo poo to steal. Although if you're in New York you're probably in an apartment with a locking gate.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

xzzy posted:

Focal length in action!

I literally cannot stop looking at that every time it's posted!

not being sarcastic

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Yes, you should get on this. I'd be down for it, definately.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Photographer Rick Smolan tells the story of a american-asian girl. Very touching. Make sure you watch this if you have 25 minutes.

http://www.ted.com/talks/rick_smolan_tells_the_story_of_a_girl.html

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 29, 2020

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'd like to hear this story.

I would like to see it in the form of an interpretive dance.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Revolucion posted:

I went to an auction today to buy furniture for my new house, instead of grabbing anything i needed i came home with a unicorn collectors plate and a box of cameras for $120 dollars.

In the box was:

Polaroid SX-70 in case
Vest Pocket Autographic Kodak in case
Polariod EE66 in case
Voigtlander Vito II in case
Voigtlander Vito C in case
BALDA BALDESSA 1 in case
KODAK BROWNIE SIX-20
Finetta III D in case and yellow filter
Zenit Em with helios-44m lens in case
Agfa Karat 36

So much playing around to do! (read: i have no flipping idea what any of it is)

If they're in working shape, you could probably flip the SX-70 for most of that cost (or keep it cause they're awesome looking). The Vitos are pretty rad and the one Karat 36 I tested once seemed like it had a nice lens with a great feel to it. I love my Zenit with that same lens, it's sharp as hell. The Vest Pocket Kodak and the Brownie Six can probably both have 120-format film adapted to them if you feel like fooling around with nailclippers, quarters, and/or tape.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

If I had to visualize anyone who'd be shooting a digital hasselblad at a photoball game, he'd look like that.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
Apparently, Stanley Kubrick knew his way around a still camera, too.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Cockwhore posted:

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 29, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

pwn posted:

What is it about 70s/80s film photography that LOOKS so 70s/80s? Is it the white balance being off?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

QPZIL posted:

What is it about 70s/80s film photography that LOOKS so 70s/80s? Is it the white balance being off?

I think it's more that the film was quite saturated and rich then to suit that aesthetic. People went bonkers with colour

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
e: nevermind, wrong thread.

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 2, 2011

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

QPZIL posted:

People wearing 70s clothes too.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Cockwhore posted:

I'm really tempted to buy one of those even though I really can't afford to be buying $250 prints. I love, love, love Kubrick.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 2, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Paragon8 posted:

I think it's more that the film was quite saturated and rich then to suit that aesthetic. People went bonkers with colour

I think that's a large part of it. Design in general relied on bold, almost arrogant colour selection. Not just the clothes, but architecture and industrial design as well. Around the mid-90's, designers began to dial the colour back to more neutral and natural tones as opposed to in-your-face tones.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I guess film emulsion chemistry has improved too over the years.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
It may also be the fact that all the photos you see of the 70s and 80s were taken on film.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

So, Lara Jade and Joey L have a dvd out. I'm not sure if anyone is too interested in workshop stuff but I think this one might be pretty decent depending on your expectations. $199 is a pretty decent price for a tutorial dvd.

I'm in it, so there's that. I don't get any money from it (or even a copy of the dvd :() but I know some people on here have posted about workshops and tutorial dvds so just wanted to make people aware it's out. If workshops or dvds aren't your thing then it probably isn't for you

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
drat it KEH! I ordered a wide-angle lens for my F4 on Tuesday with two-day shipping, so that I'd be able to go up to the mountains this weekend and play around with it. Tuesday + one day processing + two day shipping = Friday. That's what my "estimated delivery date" was too.

TODAY: I had still received no shipping notification from them, so I gave them a call. The gentleman on the phone told me, "oh, I just called our warehouse guys. Turns out they couldn't find the item you ordered, but they just looked again and found it so they'll ship it overnight and you'll have it on Monday."

Thanks guys. That helps me this weekend. :(

I love you so much KEH, why you gotta treat me this way?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

QPZIL posted:

I love you so much KEH, why you gotta treat me this way?

That sucks. KEH is so nice because Atlanta's so close to the Carolinas.... :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017svd6/America_in_Pictures_The_Story_of_Life_Magazine/

Just watched this, really really good doc about life magazine and the photographers who worked on it. The segment about this photo and Bobby Kennedy

is quite touching and make me realize I will never be as bad rear end as those old dudes...